Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Rate the movie "Bohemian Rhapsody"
10 0 0%
9 0 0%
8 2 50.00%
7 0 0%
6 1 25.00%
5 1 25.00%
4 0 0%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-02-18, 12:13 AM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
"Bohemian Rhapsody"

Rate and review the movie "Bohemian Rhapsody"

A chronicle of the years leading up to Queen's legendary appearance at the Live Aid (1985) concert.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-18, 01:00 AM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
6.5/10
Old 11-04-18, 10:09 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
"Bohemian Rhapsody"

8.5/10

Must watch for any Queen fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-18, 07:21 AM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
8/10. Took its share of Hollywood dramatic license with timelines/facts, but a great movie nonetheless.
Old 11-06-18, 07:47 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish82 View Post
8/10. Took its share of Hollywood dramatic license with timelines/facts, but a great movie nonetheless.
Was reading in Yahoo how some fan bases are outraged at this, because they seem to think "trivializes" aspects of Mercury's life. Welcome to Hollywood, folks.

I don't have much desire to see the flick, was never wild about Queen's music as a whole, although I always appreciated the composition and musicianship of their records. Probably would have been more interested in going during my late teens and early 20's.

When they decide to take dramatic license with KISS' life on the big screen, though, I'm there!
Old 11-06-18, 09:07 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
The kiss of death for this film is that the band wanted final say on the script so plenty was omitted and there was a lot of sugar coating on certain subjects. I'm not a huge fan of bio-pics on musical acts as they tend to either be fluff pieces that the act rubber stamps or they overly dramatize certain parts of their career that the director wants to focus on and leave out others that fans might want to see more of. I actually think the best route to go w/ musical acts are docs, recently there have been excellent docs on the Eagles, Grateful Dead, Amy Winehouse, and Lynyrd Skynyrd.
Old 11-06-18, 12:19 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
There was a biography of Queen and especially Freddie Mercury on the Biography Channel. There's really no other way to say it, but Mercury was a raging homosexual. When AIDS became prevalent in the 80's, one of his friends predicted that Mercury would be one of the first to die from it as he was so indiscriminate with whom he had sex. As I understand it, the movie sugarcoated this important aspect of his life.
Old 11-08-18, 10:21 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
The kiss of death for this film is that the band wanted final say on the script so plenty was omitted and there was a lot of sugar coating on certain subjects. I'm not a huge fan of bio-pics on musical acts as they tend to either be fluff pieces that the act rubber stamps or they overly dramatize certain parts of their career that the director wants to focus on and leave out others that fans might want to see more of. I actually think the best route to go w/ musical acts are docs, recently there have been excellent docs on the Eagles, Grateful Dead, Amy Winehouse, and Lynyrd Skynyrd.
Bingo. It's a matter of what you are looking for.

If you want fun and fluff see a hollywood movie.

If you want dirt see a doc.

No reason the same person can't enjoy both.
Old 11-08-18, 12:59 PM
All District

JcksnPlrBrs2002 is on a distinguished road
Overall, it was pretty well made, and the actors did a great job.

It is sort of annoying that the movie clearly had "legacy protection" hovering over it. One of the more ironic exchanges in the movie is during Freddy Mercury's apology to the band, where he explains that the problem with his solo efforts was that the people around him gave him everything that he asked for without any pushback... ...and this movie suffered because it feels like the exact same problem played out with the remaining members of the band and the people making the movie. They got exactly the movie that THEY wanted, and it's not as good as it could have been because of that.

Side note : The movie got me to go back and listen to their demos, and it's a jaw-dropping experience, because they're demos, and they leave you wondering how they could have possibly been so cohesive and solid with what they did so fast.

Last edited by JcksnPlrBrs2002; 11-08-18 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11-08-18, 02:44 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
I thought the first half of the movie was pretty mediocre. There wasn't much of a story. It was like guy sees band -> guy get opportunity to join band -> band forms -> they do some gigs -> they get famous really fast -> some stage scenes with famous songs. Minimal character development, minimal storytelling. The most compelling bit of it was Freddie and his wife but they were on screen for like 10 minutes.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: