Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-30-18, 07:20 AM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Shoplift a Kroger and get paid

One of the goofiest stories I've ever heard.

So a couple of months ago, an 11 year old girl got tased at a Kroger in Cincinnati after shoplifting a backpack full of items. She was caught and refused to stop at a police officer's commands.

Now get this...she and her Mom are being PAID $240,000 for this??? $220,000 from the City of Cincinnati and $20,000 from Kroger.

Cincy police policy is that officers can tase anyone from age 7-70. So nothing was done wrong.

How do the taxpayers stand for this? Really?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-18, 07:52 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
"An internal affairs investigation found (the policeman) violated four police policies."

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...er/1669397002/
Old 10-30-18, 08:09 AM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Convenient of 14Red to leave that part out. Officer Brown sounds like a real turd.
Old 10-30-18, 08:16 AM
All American

SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
One of the goofiest stories I've ever heard.

So a couple of months ago, an 11 year old girl got tased at a Kroger in Cincinnati after shoplifting a backpack full of items. She was caught and refused to stop at a police officer's commands.

Now get this...she and her Mom are being PAID $240,000 for this??? $220,000 from the City of Cincinnati and $20,000 from Kroger.

Cincy police policy is that officers can tase anyone from age 7-70. So nothing was done wrong.

How do the taxpayers stand for this? Really?
This really sucks but the Officer unfortunately did do some things wrong as poster above shows. 1, Must Turn On Body Camera as soon as interaction begins with folks about the incident reported. 2, Must Warn Before deploying Taser. 3, Officer made biased/prejudicial statements to the young lady. 4, young lady was not really posing a threat to anybody. That’s the gist of it. The only 1 of those this Officer can really be defended on is #4. He has no idea what Any suspect of Any age these days that’s fleeing and refusing to stop actually has on them.
Old 10-30-18, 08:22 AM
Save water....drink beer!

MoeDude is on a distinguished road
Crime does pay!
Old 10-30-18, 08:28 AM
All Yappi

OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
I think tasers should be outlawed like guns because they r bad.
Old 10-30-18, 08:32 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Reminds me of an episode when Al Bundy gets punches an intruder.
Intruder sues that he got hurt and can no longer successfully go out and rob people...and wins.
Old 10-30-18, 09:11 AM
All Yappi

TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeDude View Post
Crime does pay!
Especially when you involve an apparent moron with a badge.
Old 10-30-18, 10:11 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTY22 View Post
This really sucks but the Officer unfortunately did do some things wrong as poster above shows. 1, Must Turn On Body Camera as soon as interaction begins with folks about the incident reported. 2, Must Warn Before deploying Taser. 3, Officer made biased/prejudicial statements to the young lady. 4, young lady was not really posing a threat to anybody. That’s the gist of it. The only 1 of those this Officer can really be defended on is #4. He has no idea what Any suspect of Any age these days that’s fleeing and refusing to stop actually has on them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeDude View Post
Crime does pay!
Nice to see the two sides of this discussion easily laid out.

My fear is that MoeDude's lesson is the one that will stick with the younger generation. By the girl's admission, she'd done it before, and it wasn't because she was in danger of starving - it was done because she and her friends wanted some treats, didn't have the money, and didn't care. And she clearly heard and understood the cop's command to cease what she was doing and stop, and willfully ignored it.
Old 10-30-18, 10:17 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
Nice to see the two sides of this discussion easily laid out.

My fear is that MoeDude's lesson is the one that will stick with the younger generation. By the girl's admission, she'd done it before, and it wasn't because she was in danger of starving - it was done because she and her friends wanted some treats, didn't have the money, and didn't care. And she clearly heard and understood the cop's command to cease what she was doing and stop, and willfully ignored it.
Unless you have no faith in the older generation/police being able to handle shoplifting correctly why would you have any fear?
Old 10-30-18, 10:35 AM
All World

Two sides? Folks, if this is the way stores have to police themselves from being shoplifted, they may as well close up. I hope people realize this hurts everyone involves. Kroger has to raise their prices (oh ok, they just bury it in their corporate shrinkage with their "good stores" who have less stealing, but it hurts the company, future wages to their employees,etc. )
But it's $220,000 needless dollars the city of Cincinnati has to give away, taxpayer dollars. The girl clearly knows right from wrong, she knew she was in trouble.
This makes me shake my head...
Old 10-30-18, 10:42 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
But it's $220,000 needless dollars the city of Cincinnati has to give away, taxpayer dollars. The girl clearly knows right from wrong, she knew she was in trouble.
This makes me shake my head...
The fact that you place more blame on an 11-year old girl and not the turd officer who violated multiple policies is very telling. I guess you really don't believe in personal responsibility.
Old 10-30-18, 10:46 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Obviously they settled as they knew it would be a gamble to go to trial with the broken protocol/ violations the officer committed.
Old 10-30-18, 10:52 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
Unless you have no faith in the older generation/police being able to handle shoplifting correctly why would you have any fear?
I have no qualms about police doing their jobs, but that has nothing to do with my misgivings about the younger generations attitude. Or haven't you noticed that more whippersnappers today have less respect and more contempt for the law and law enforcement as they did 40 years ago? $240,000 will not make it any better.

Quote:
Two sides? ......
Two sides, Red. Don't pretend they're not there. The girl broke law, willfully so. The cop violated his department's procedures, on multiple levels.

Did the cop's miscues negate the girl's culpability and cause $240,000 worth of emotional trauma? That is the question. I don't think her discomfort she experienced (as a direct consequence of her crime) is worth that. She should be thankful they dropped the charges.

Just an uneducated guess, but I'd say the city's legal advisors are saying "Settle, settle, it'll cost more than it's worth to fight this." What EP said.
Old 10-30-18, 12:00 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I have no qualms about police doing their jobs, but that has nothing to do with my misgivings about the younger generations attitude. Or haven't you noticed that more whippersnappers today have less respect and more contempt for the law and law enforcement as they did 40 years ago? $240,000 will not make it any better.
I'm saying if police do their jobs correctly there will be no grounds for $240,000 settlements regardless of the whippersnappers.
Old 10-30-18, 12:05 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I don't think this is the case. Every older generation has said the same about the generations after them.
Old 10-30-18, 12:19 PM
All American

Quote:
I'm saying if police do their jobs correctly there will be no grounds for $240,000 settlements regardless of the whippersnappers.
Have to agree with you there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
I don't think this is the case. Every older generation has said the same about the generations after them.
But - but - back in my day, when dinosaurs walked the earth and we didn't lock our doors at night ...... I have anecdotal confirmation, I tell you!!!!
Old 10-30-18, 12:23 PM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
Plus, it's not like the Gowdys are just getting a $240K check to cash.

Quote:
The city will pay Donesha $220,000 and Kroger will pay her $20,000, money that will be monitored by probate court to make sure it's used for Donesha's emotional care.
Old 10-30-18, 03:58 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Obviously they settled as they knew it would be a gamble to go to trial with the broken protocol/ violations the officer committed.
I'd like to see a jury put together who would have sided with the kid and her Mom. Awful message to send. Steal (repeatedly) and get paid. As Mike McConnell says, the world just keeps getting goofier.

And we wonder why stores close is poor neighborhoods.
Old 10-30-18, 04:01 PM
All World

Quote:

Two sides, Red. Don't pretend they're not there. The girl broke law, willfully so. The cop violated his department's procedures, on multiple levels.

Did the cop's miscues negate the girl's culpability and cause $240,000 worth of emotional trauma? That is the question. I don't think her discomfort she experienced (as a direct consequence of her crime) is worth that. She should be thankful they dropped the charges.

Just an uneducated guess, but I'd say the city's legal advisors are saying "Settle, settle, it'll cost more than it's worth to fight this." What EP said.
I honestly wonder how we are going to get anyone to go into law enforcement anymore. You have no latitude and can't make quick decisions without repercussions. At what point, if you are in a store like that, do you just continue to allow people (kids) to come in and rob the store and you can't do anything about it? Should he chase her and tackle her? Should he trip her? Saying that the cop is not in danger, therefore they can't use any force is ridiculous?
Old 10-30-18, 04:22 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
I'd like to see a jury put together who would have sided with the kid and her Mom. Awful message to send. Steal (repeatedly) and get paid. As Mike McConnell says, the world just keeps getting goofier.

And we wonder why stores close is poor neighborhoods.
Maybe you should get a law degree and take a harder line.
Old 10-30-18, 04:24 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I honestly wonder how we are going to get anyone to go into law enforcement anymore. You have no latitude and can't make quick decisions without repercussions. At what point, if you are in a store like that, do you just continue to allow people (kids) to come in and rob the store and you can't do anything about it? Should he chase her and tackle her? Should he trip her? Saying that the cop is not in danger, therefore they can't use any force is ridiculous?
Is that a serious comment?
Old 10-31-18, 07:37 AM
All World

Quote:
Is that a serious comment?
Would you want to be a cop these days?
Old 10-31-18, 07:40 AM
All World

Quote:
Maybe you should get a law degree and take a harder line.
No thank you. We live in a world where people just look for ways to get paid without working. Think about this. You have a Mom who knows her kid shoplifts a local store and then cashes in when justice is served??

Wasn't there a time not too long ago when the kid would had been chastised by their parents, and got in more trouble for shoplifting later? And what good parent wouldn't be overcome with embarassment and shame that their kid would be doing this? This is a direct reflection on her. And yet she cashes in?
Old 10-31-18, 08:26 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Would you want to be a cop these days?
No, but I've never wanted to be a cop. If I did, I think right now would be a great time to be one. Good pay and benefits, plenty of public support, police deaths at decades lows, strong union protection, and despite what you might claim you can get away with plenty without repercussions (see union and public support).
Old 10-31-18, 04:43 PM
All American

Username1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Off duty, the city has no liability.
Old 10-31-18, 04:44 PM
All American

Username1 is on a distinguished road
The mom should be tased. What a pos human
Old 10-31-18, 04:54 PM
All American

SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
Off duty, the city has no liability.
This is like half truth. Off duty but performing duties in a CPD Uniform, pretty sure CPD Policies have to be followed. Also heard on WLW today from a City Council Member that they believed the Officer lied. Apparently Officer said girl was “running away” but the Kroger Videos of the incident do not support what the Officer is saying. Sadly seems like this Officer made numerous mistakes in just one incident.
Old 11-01-18, 01:28 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTY22 View Post
This is like half truth. Off duty but performing duties in a CPD Uniform, pretty sure CPD Policies have to be followed. Also heard on WLW today from a City Council Member that they believed the Officer lied. Apparently Officer said girl was “running away” but the Kroger Videos of the incident do not support what the Officer is saying. Sadly seems like this Officer made numerous mistakes in just one incident.
I believe the girl said she was running away because she was afraid to get caught and go to jail.

You can name all the "little" mistakes the officer made. Overall though, I support the officer and believe he was in the right doing what he did. It's absolutely ridiculous how people behave, and it's more ridiculous what the citizens have to put up with. The PC world is going to ruin everything. I would have been embarrassed to had to announce that decision. The girl and her family have to felt like they won the lottery.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: