Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Soccer

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-21-18, 12:23 AM
Freshman

CJK09 is on a distinguished road
What's to give?

So, I guess I'm just a little confused. Yes, I'm a Carroll Alum and played soccer there and did good. I follow Carroll every single year, every single game, whether I'm there or not. I guess I'm just a little confused on how Carroll started in the Top 10 in the state in the first poll, and have only fallen off since. They're still undefeated, and in my eyes, beating teams pretty bad. I understand they moved from D2 to D1 last year, and they've tried to schedule as many D1 games as possible as they're going against a GWOC team every week. But how does a team that has only given up 3 goals all season, and is scoring anywhere from 5-7 a game, LOSE votes in the polls. I will admit, I haven't been to a game yet this season as I work 2nd shift, but checking the score lines every single night AND comparing wins vs. Losses against same opponents...I'm just a little confused on what is going on. Please, I'm not looking to have a bashing post like " Carroll doesn't play anybody." I'm simply asking a question. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-18, 05:49 AM
All Ohio

CincyIllinifan is on a distinguished road
You shouldn’t let it bother you - it’s just early rankings. We are talking top 10 in the state (D1). There’s no way the voters can watch every top team, and maybe they feel the others in the top 10 have more quality wins so far.

Looks like you tied Oak Hills and Loveland, with no real quality wins yet. If Carroll is a top team, they’ll get their chance come playoff time.
Old 09-21-18, 06:39 AM
All Region

AIK Solna is on a distinguished road
I agree with the previous answer. Don't worry about the rankings. They mean nothing. Carroll has an excellent team and can make a long run in the tournament. Last year, many of the ranked teams were knocked off early in the tournament. Dayton area teams don't always get the respect they deserve. Carroll, Beavercreek, and Centerville all have strong teams capable of challenging anyone.
Old 09-21-18, 07:22 AM
Junior Varsity

ohiosportsnet9 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIllinifan View Post
You shouldn’t let it bother you - it’s just early rankings. We are talking top 10 in the state (D1). There’s no way the voters can watch every top team, and maybe they feel the others in the top 10 have more quality wins so far.

Looks like you tied Oak Hills and Loveland, with no real quality wins yet. If Carroll is a top team, they’ll get their chance come playoff time.
I believe the Oak Hills and Loveland games were just scrimmages.
Old 09-21-18, 07:46 AM
All Region

Kickin Wing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJK09 View Post
I'm simply asking a question. Thanks.
The Dayton area gets 3 names to submit to state. They submitted see below... Beavercreek, Centerville, and a third school, who didn't get any votes. I'm going to guess it was Carroll. So, Carroll doesn't have to be better than everyone in the state... they just have to be better than Beavercreek and Centerville. Actually, Centerville didn't make the top 10 either, so Carroll would have to be better than both of them just to make the top 10.

Look at Turpin! They have only given up three goals all year also, they are undefeated... and they didn't make the top ten either. Because Turpin has to be better than Moeller and St X who are the 3 teams from the Cincinnati area.

I'm not trying to bash on Carroll. I'm just trying to explain, only 3 teams from each area get submitted to state. So no matter what they do against anyone else... they have to be better than both Centerville and Beavercreek. When they do that, they will be in the top 10 in state.

BOYS DIVISION I
1. St. Ignatius (Cleveland) 6-0-1 100
2. Olentangy Liberty (Powell) 7-0-0 90
3. Archbishop Moeller (Cincinnati) 5-0-1 76
4. Medina 6-0-2 65
5. New Albany 8-0-0 54
6. St. Johns Jesuit (Toledo) 9-0-1 45
7. Beavercreek 7-1-0 39
St. Xavier (Cincinnati) 4-1-2 39
9. Northview (Sylvania) 5-1-1 17
10. St. Charles Prep School (Columbus) 5-2-0 10
Receiving votes: Centerville, Copley, Turpin (Cincinnati), North Royalton
Old 09-21-18, 09:13 AM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickin Wing View Post
The Dayton area gets 3 names to submit to state. They submitted see below... Beavercreek, Centerville, and a third school, who didn't get any votes. I'm going to guess it was Carroll. So, Carroll doesn't have to be better than everyone in the state... they just have to be better than Beavercreek and Centerville. Actually, Centerville didn't make the top 10 either, so Carroll would have to be better than both of them just to make the top 10.

Look at Turpin! They have only given up three goals all year also, they are undefeated... and they didn't make the top ten either. Because Turpin has to be better than Moeller and St X who are the 3 teams from the Cincinnati area.

I'm not trying to bash on Carroll. I'm just trying to explain, only 3 teams from each area get submitted to state. So no matter what they do against anyone else... they have to be better than both Centerville and Beavercreek. When they do that, they will be in the top 10 in state.

BOYS DIVISION I
1. St. Ignatius (Cleveland) 6-0-1 100
2. Olentangy Liberty (Powell) 7-0-0 90
3. Archbishop Moeller (Cincinnati) 5-0-1 76
4. Medina 6-0-2 65
5. New Albany 8-0-0 54
6. St. Johns Jesuit (Toledo) 9-0-1 45
7. Beavercreek 7-1-0 39
St. Xavier (Cincinnati) 4-1-2 39
9. Northview (Sylvania) 5-1-1 17
10. St. Charles Prep School (Columbus) 5-2-0 10
Receiving votes: Centerville, Copley, Turpin (Cincinnati), North Royalton
This is probably the best explanation regarding the process and the reasoning for Carroll's lack of presence in the polls. And as others said, don't sweat the polls too much. Carroll will prove themselves in the tournament.
Old 09-21-18, 09:26 AM
All Region

Kickin Wing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
This is probably the best explanation regarding the process and the reasoning for Carroll's lack of presence in the polls. And as others said, don't sweat the polls too much. Carroll will prove themselves in the tournament.
I'm old... I've been around too long. lol but thanks.
Old 09-21-18, 10:16 PM
Varsity

concreek is on a distinguished road
So are there 10 different districts that submit teams for the state vote? Which means a potential total of 30 teams. I only see 14 teams listed - so if a team is not listed, I guess that means the team did not get a single vote in the state poll - not even from the district that submitted them?

http://www.ossca.info/index.php/districts
Old 09-22-18, 08:17 AM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by concreek View Post
So are there 10 different districts that submit teams for the state vote? Which means a potential total of 30 teams. I only see 14 teams listed - so if a team is not listed, I guess that means the team did not get a single vote in the state poll - not even from the district that submitted them?

http://www.ossca.info/index.php/districts
I think that is correct assuming each district rep nominates 3. I know in years past some district reps might only nominate 1 from their district. Also, there might be a week where the rep forgets or has technical issues with nominating teams and then no team from that district is in that week's poll.

There is a poster that is or was a district rep. If he comes on, maybe he could elaborate more.
Old 09-22-18, 12:33 PM
Varsity

onehotbobo is on a distinguished road
What's to give?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJK09 View Post
I guess I'm just a little confused on how Carroll started in the Top 10 in the state in the first poll, and have only fallen off since. ~ How does a team that has only given up 3 goals all season, and is scoring anywhere from 5-7 a game, LOSE votes in the polls. I will admit, I haven't been to a game yet this season as I work 2nd shift, but checking the score lines every single night AND comparing wins vs. Losses against same opponents...

The start of season polls are just a starting point. So far Carrol has given up 15 goals and scored 7. They opened the season with 3 losses in a row, losing to Boro 4-1 and Granville 5-1, which naturally would drop their rankings very quickly if they were ranked high in the first place. I’m not seeing in their schedule that they’ve been dominating teams. What are you basing your claims that they’ve been beating teams badly?

Edit: sorry I thought I was on the girls forum. Please disregard!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by onehotbobo; 09-22-18 at 12:45 PM..
Old 09-22-18, 12:42 PM
Junior Varsity

ohiosportsnet9 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by onehotbobo View Post
The start of season polls are just a starting point. So far Carrol has given up 15 goals and scored 7. They opened the season with 3 losses in a row, losing to Boro 4-1 and Granville 5-1, which naturally would drop their rankings very quickly if they were ranked high in the first place. I’m not seeing in their schedule that they’ve been dominating teams. What are you basing your claims that they’ve been beating teams badly?

I believe you are looking at the girls results....
Old 09-22-18, 12:43 PM
Varsity

onehotbobo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosportsnet9 View Post
I believe you are looking at the girls results....

My apologies - My bad!

Old 09-23-18, 12:10 PM
All American

Gview
Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
I think that is correct assuming each district rep nominates 3. I know in years past some district reps might only nominate 1 from their district. Also, there might be a week where the rep forgets or has technical issues with nominating teams and then no team from that district is in that week's poll.

There is a poster that is or was a district rep. If he comes on, maybe he could elaborate more.
You CAN nominate up to 3 from your district. In the 15 years I was involved I never a saw a week where everyone nominated 3. This maybe for several reasons.

Generally we would see between 12 and 16 teams nominated. A lot of districts start out nominating their top team(s), but as the season moves on, losses mount and the rep is forced to drop the team from nomination.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: