Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Closed Thread

Old 01-27-17, 03:02 PM
All Region

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
I'd be interested in bringing Bronson back to eat up some innings. Strailey's loss is about 200 innings, so we'll have to eat those up some how. Certainly there isn't anyone else bidding on Bronson, so we won't have much in him. And he would be good for the young pitchers.
Dear Lord. Just when I think you can't top your own crazy ideas.

Is the goal for the Reds in 2017 to "eat up innings"? Or are they trying to develop and evaluate young players for the future?

You want Brandon to "eat up' the 2B innings. You want Arroyo to eat up 200 innings as an SP. Oh by the way, is Arroyo cheap? Maybe we can get Scott Rolen to eat up some innings at 3B, and get Larkin to eat up some innings at SS. Then we'd be in great shape for the future.

Genius.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-17, 03:07 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
I'll email Gary Schatz, he oughta be able to get ahold of him somehow.
Lol.
Old 01-27-17, 04:27 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post

Is the goal for the Reds in 2017 to "eat up innings"? Or are they trying to develop and evaluate young players for the future?

You want Brandon to "eat up' the 2B innings. You want Arroyo to eat up 200 innings as an SP. Oh by the way, is Arroyo cheap? Maybe we can get Scott Rolen to eat up some innings at 3B, and get Larkin to eat up some innings at SS. Then we'd be in great shape for the future.

Genius.
Might as well put Dmitri Young in Left. Don't underestimate the leadership qualities
Old 01-27-17, 04:54 PM
All American

14Red is on a distinguished road
Dimitri Young struggled playing left field 10 years ago as an active player. I'm guessing Bronson is still in pretty good shape. And we have a left fielder, a pretty good one in Duvall.
Old 01-27-17, 04:57 PM
All American

Quote:

Genius.
wolves, there are going to be innings that need to be thrown. Heck, last year, WITH all the young arms we had Strailey still threw 180+ innings. Do you think Stephenson / Reed are going to magically start throwing 200 innings??

Scott Rolen and Barry Larkin are older and broken down. It's worth a look see, even to just keep him around the young pitchers.
Old 01-27-17, 05:47 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Only reason to bring Arroyo back is to bring back the Together Again song and promos about JTM......
Old 01-27-17, 11:21 PM
All Yappi

Lol he thought we were serious. Unbelievable.
Old 01-30-17, 11:49 AM
All Region

Quote:
wolves, there are going to be innings that need to be thrown. Heck, last year, WITH all the young arms we had Strailey still threw 180+ innings. Do you think Stephenson / Reed are going to magically start throwing 200 innings??

Scott Rolen and Barry Larkin are older and broken down. It's worth a look see, even to just keep him around the young pitchers.
Ummmm, Straily was 27 last summer and CHEAP. Could have been part of the rebuild, or showcased for a trade, which is how it played out. Arroyo is OLD and EXPENSIVE.
Old 01-30-17, 11:51 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
Lol he thought we were serious. Unbelievable.
Remarkable.
Old 01-30-17, 11:55 AM
All American

Quote:
Ummmm, Straily was 27 last summer and CHEAP. Could have been part of the rebuild, or showcased for a trade, which is how it played out. Arroyo is OLD and EXPENSIVE.
Do we have any idea what kind of contract Bronson would get?
Old 01-30-17, 12:02 PM
All American

Quote:
I agree, Straily was cheap and not too old, but you got him for nothing, he probably pitched as well as he ever could, so you cash your chips in and take the 3 prospects. It's a gamble, but I don't think Straily was part of the long term plans.
Old 01-30-17, 12:35 PM
All American

Recently posted on WLW's Lance McCallister's blog...

Votto career numbers:
.313 batting average
.425 on-base percentage
.536 slugging percentage

And to think his critics worry about his contract and his RBI total. In case the last names posted below don't ring a bell, that would be.

Ted....Williams
Jimmy....Foxx
Lou.....Gehrig
Rogers.....Hornsby
Babe.....Ruth
Perhaps you have heard of them?

The next time one of your buddies starts ripping Votto, bring this up to them.
Old 01-30-17, 12:44 PM
Cooling Off

Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
.....what do those players have to do with Votto and his career averages? You listed his averages and then those players without mentioning the connection or relevancy. Are his averages better than those players? Comparable? Did you just feel like rambling on again, not knowing where you were going?
Old 01-30-17, 12:53 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Recently posted on WLW's Lance McCallister's blog...

Votto career numbers:
.313 batting average
.425 on-base percentage
.536 slugging percentage

And to think his critics worry about his contract and his RBI total. In case the last names posted below don't ring a bell, that would be.

Ted....Williams
Jimmy....Foxx
Lou.....Gehrig
Rogers.....Hornsby
Babe.....Ruth
Perhaps you have heard of them?

The next time one of your buddies starts ripping Votto, bring this up to them.
dumb post. Votto's power numbers aren't even close enough to be mentioned with that group. With the exception of Hornsby, whose power/production numbers are still superior to Votto (and he played middle infield positions), the others averaged roughly 40 hrs, 140 rbis, and slug% >630. I'll let you look up Votto's playing with the ridiculously short porch in right field at gabp.
Old 01-30-17, 01:14 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
.....what do those players have to do with Votto and his career averages? You listed his averages and then those players without mentioning the connection or relevancy. Are his averages better than those players? Comparable? Did you just feel like rambling on again, not knowing where you were going?
Whew, I read his post and for a second thought I was an idiot for not knowing what the hell he was talking about. Turns out it was just another dumb post by 14Red.
Old 01-30-17, 03:21 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
Well Jim, this is a Reds thread, and Votto is a Red, so that makes it relevant. Do you do anything other than criticize other peoples posts? I rarely see any kind of opinion from you???

The relevancy is also this, you'll need to look at these numbers over the next several years, because the cynical fans that many of you are criticize Votto for his lack of production. But mainly because of his contract.
Old 01-30-17, 03:24 PM
Cooling Off

Well dumbazz, that's not what I asked. All you did was say "Here's Vottos numbers. Here's a list of 5 other baseball players." I'll ask again: What do those players have to do with Votto and his career averages? What is the connection or relevancy to Votto's numbers and those players? Are his averages better than those players? Comparable? Did you just feel like rambling on again, not knowing where you were going? Do you ever actually educate yourself on any subject you post about? I literally never see anything remotely close to an educated opinion from you???

I give my opinion rather often, you just lack to comprehension to read and understand it. You've just passed brian as the dumbest poster on Yappi, congrats, I didn't think it was possible. I am genuinely curious how you make it through a single day in your life.

Last edited by Jim Lahey; 01-30-17 at 04:10 PM..
Old 01-30-17, 08:23 PM
All Yappi

Arroyo is reportedly close to signing a deal. I'll be astounded if he makes it through spring training
Old 01-31-17, 12:10 PM
All Region

Oy. One of two things is going on here.
1) Arroyo has some dirt on the Castellini family
2) The Reds Management is under the impression that they can compete in 2017.

I suspect #2. Reading stuff from Dick Williams, seeing them sign vets like Storen, Feldman and Bronson, they obviously think they can do something this year.

Management comments about trying to find ABs for Peraza, and Herrera either playing daily in the MLB or AAA makes me think they are trying to compete. Looking at the rotation makes me ask "what makes you think you will win 75 games?"

This is the half-azzed approach to rebuilding that never works. Lets either try to win now, or rebuild. Not a little bit of both.
Old 01-31-17, 12:18 PM
All Yappi

It's #2, moronic fans like 14reds drive this type of behavior.
Old 01-31-17, 04:40 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

I suspect #2. Reading stuff from Dick Williams, seeing them sign vets like Storen, Feldman and Bronson, they obviously think they can do something this year.

Management comments about trying to find ABs for Peraza, and Herrera either playing daily in the MLB or AAA makes me think they are trying to compete. Looking at the rotation makes me ask "what makes you think you will win 75 games?"

This is the half-azzed approach to rebuilding that never works. Lets either try to win now, or rebuild. Not a little bit of both.
+1, good post

If Phillips and Cozart have to be sold for pennies on the dollar just to assure playing time for Herrera and Peraza get playing time then so be it.
Old 01-31-17, 05:04 PM
All American

Quote:

so wolves, what do you suggest? Obviously since it's not your money, you'd give Votto, Phillips, Mesoraco and Bailey away and "let the young guys play".

YES!!! Of course you have to go into the season at least thinking you can compete? Where's your competitive spirit??
Old 01-31-17, 05:43 PM
All Yappi

14red doesn't disappoint with the dumb guy posts.
Old 01-31-17, 08:09 PM
All Yappi

Competitive spirit
Old 02-01-17, 09:30 AM
All American

Bronson was on the hot stove league program on WLW last night. Looks like just a few details need to be worked out, but he seems to be on board, as well as the team. His bullpen sessions have been good, his concerns, as well as the teams, is can he, at age 40 by the time spring training starts, throw, cool down between innings, and repeat that over the course of 5-6 innings, and then over 4 days rest?
Now this is a shot in the dark. But what's the risk? High end Bronson can be our #4/ #5 starter, eat up 100-150 innings and keep us in games. Low end his arm blows up and he's done before April. I do think it's good to have him around the young arms we have just to see how a professional veteran pitcher competes day after day.
Old 02-01-17, 09:55 AM
All Yappi

If we're going to shoot for the stars, then there's no reason Arroyo shouldn't be an early Cy Young candidate!
Old 02-01-17, 10:20 AM
Cooling Off

Bronson4Heisman!
Old 02-01-17, 10:55 AM
All American

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
My competitive spirit tells me Bronson should expect no less than MVP and Cy Young and he should be our Opening Day starter.

Anyone else pumped for JTM commercials. Together again baby
Old 02-01-17, 02:19 PM
All Region

Quote:
so wolves, what do you suggest? Obviously since it's not your money, you'd give Votto, Phillips, Mesoraco and Bailey away and "let the young guys play".

YES!!! Of course you have to go into the season at least thinking you can compete? Where's your competitive spirit??
As a fan, I just want my team to win. And I want them to have a plan and stick to it.

If the plan is to win now, why would you let Jay Bruce and Mike Leake get away, and try to trade Phillips and Cozart?

If the plan is to rebuild and win in a couple years, then why would you continue to play Phillips every day, and sign Arroyo and Feldman?

The current so-called "plan" looks like a hybrid. It is the plan of "Lets spend just enough so that we aren't embarrassingly bad." This is a non-plan that has never worked for anyone. They lack the brains, courage and conviction to truly rebuild.
Old 02-03-17, 12:40 PM
All American

Quote:
As a fan, I just want my team to win. And I want them to have a plan and stick to it.

If the plan is to win now, why would you let Jay Bruce and Mike Leake get away, and try to trade Phillips and Cozart?

If the plan is to rebuild and win in a couple years, then why would you continue to play Phillips every day, and sign Arroyo and Feldman?

The current so-called "plan" looks like a hybrid. It is the plan of "Lets spend just enough so that we aren't embarrassingly bad." This is a non-plan that has never worked for anyone. They lack the brains, courage and conviction to truly rebuild.
Do you ever believe there is a true rebuild?? YOu'd have to have all your contracted players end at teh same time, and that's simply not possible. Jay Bruce had some value to a contender, you probably were not going to sign him moving forward and he wasn't the player he was being paid as. Mike Leake is a #3,-#5 starting pitcher who's clock had come up to start getting paid. It's crazy that he's getting the money from the Cardinals, good for him, but he's not worth that.

Arroyo was signed to a minor league deal that probably has a ton of incentives involved including innings/ starts/ etc.
The Reds have tried to go cheap on the bullpen the last two years and it's frankly blown up in our faces. You can mask some flaws in your lineup and starting staff if you have a good bullpen, look at the teams that's been successful the last few years. Now, is the guys we've signed good enough to make that difference, including Feldman and Storen?? Who knows, but they are not overly expensive.

Bottom line, you signed Votto, Bailey, Mesoraco to long term, expensive contracts several years ago and you simply can't cut or trade them. Phillips has one more year left at alot of money, he's still your best 2nd baseman so play him and see what happens.

And I think this team can be decent this year. Not great but competitive.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: