Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  
Old 06-08-19, 11:38 AM
All World

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Novel 1984

The book 1984 was published 70 years ago today. Have to admit never have read the book maybe when I retire.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-19, 11:41 AM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Short book, could proably read it a few hours. Or you could take the real easy way out, and rent the movie.
Old 06-08-19, 01:03 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
You should read the book. It's fantastic. Easy read too like arizona pointed out.
Old 06-08-19, 10:54 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
I tried reading it in 4th grade, thinking it would be more like 1950's B-movie sci-fi. Gave up after the first chapter.

Read it all the way thru in 9th grade. It was somewhat boring. Got the gist of it an on academic level, but I lacked sufficient life perspective to see how it might actually happen. Now with technology and social media at current levels, it's easier to picture it.
Old 06-09-19, 12:32 AM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Better than Brave New World
Old 06-09-19, 06:34 AM
All American

gneiss rocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
The book 1984 was published 70 years ago today. Have to admit never have read the book maybe when I retire.
After reading you will look the "news" and social media differently. How our thoughts on many things (especially politics) is a state run program. I would also suggest looking into Operation Mockingbird and see how much they have progressed in the subjugation/opinion forming techniques used today. Your life will change when you add in the honest research. Be ready, you will resists being honest with yourself until you break through.
Old 06-09-19, 08:07 AM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Read it! Also read "Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury. These two books put our modern day society in perspective like no others. In Bradbury's book the real enemy is political correctness.
Old 06-09-19, 02:19 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
Better than Brave New World
No argument there.
Old 06-09-19, 05:31 PM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
CliffsNotes ~ anyone?

https://www.cliffsnotes.com/literatu...84-at-a-glance

"1984" inspired....The Apple SB ad...

https://www.cliffsnotes.com/search?q...51&sp_cs=UTF-8

:>---

EGA
Old 06-13-19, 01:40 AM
Freshman

Zak88 is on a distinguished road
I spent several hours to read it. It's really easy to read. I guess it's an amazing book.
Old 06-13-19, 06:31 AM
All Region

scbuckeye99 is on a distinguished road
Read it for AP English summer before senior year of high school. 1984, Slaughterhouse Five, Native Son and Light In August were the four books on the summer reading list. Enjoyed 3, Light in August didn't do it for me.
Old 06-13-19, 07:38 AM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Here's a list of note:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern...tors'_list

+--- The list
!
V
http://www.modernlibrary.com/top-100/100-best-novels/

:>---
EGA
Old 06-13-19, 10:19 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbuckeye99 View Post
Read it for AP English summer before senior year of high school. 1984, Slaughterhouse Five, Native Son and Light In August were the four books on the summer reading list. Enjoyed 3, Light in August didn't do it for me.
Trade you.

My list of summer reads for AP English was: Crime and Punishment, King Lear, Oedipus, and Catch-22.

The list of crap we read during the school year wasn't much better (Tartuffe, The Stranger, Madame Bovary, A Farewell to Arms, Antigone, A Doll's House, etc). I never should've taken the class. Required reading isn't my thing.
Old 06-13-19, 11:44 AM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopup View Post
Thanks, pup. Regarding Cliff Notes - I didn't know they could be had online. (Well, why wouldn't they, genius)?

Maybe good for the ultra-busy student (ethical?), but I think I would rather read the book(s) - when I retire.
Old 06-13-19, 11:52 AM
All Yappi

As I recall, my summer reading list before my senior year was "1984", "A Separate Peace", "Slaughter House Five", and another book I don't recall. It's been 55 years ago, and I have trouble remembering things that happened last week.
Old 06-13-19, 12:01 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
As I recall, my summer reading list before my senior year was "1984", "A Separate Peace", "Slaughter House Five", and another book I don't recall. It's been 55 years ago, and I have trouble remembering things that happened last week.
A Separate Peace was pre-soph summer reading for me along with Tom Sawyer, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Of Mice and Men, and Death of a Salesman. Soph year was American Lit, junior wS British Lit, and Senior was World Lit. Books we read during soph year were: The Grapes of Wrath, The Crucible, The Scarlet Letter, The Great Gatsby, Huckleberry Finn, Catcher in the Rye, and Black Boy.
Old 06-13-19, 12:32 PM
All Yappi

I had gone through 56 years of my life without reading The Great Gatsby. I had heard many times that it was the greatest American novel. One day I was walking along the shelves of the local library and there it was. At first I was surprised by its size; it was more like a novelette than what I considered to be the length of the typical novel. I checked it out and read it in about two hours. Maybe it was because I had seen two movie adaptions of it, but my general impression was meh. My opinion might have been influenced by all the "smart" people saying how great it was and I was intent of disliking it from the start. But I've read a lot better.
Old 06-13-19, 02:02 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
I had gone through 56 years of my life without reading The Great Gatsby. I had heard many times that it was the greatest American novel. One day I was walking along the shelves of the local library and there it was. At first I was surprised by its size; it was more like a novelette than what I considered to be the length of the typical novel. I checked it out and read it in about two hours. Maybe it was because I had seen two movie adaptions of it, but my general impression was meh. My opinion might have been influenced by all the "smart" people saying how great it was and I was intent of disliking it from the start. But I've read a lot better.
How did you get into Columbia?
Old 06-13-19, 06:15 PM
All Yappi

Croquet scholarship
Old 06-13-19, 06:19 PM
All American

gneiss rocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Croquet scholarship
That's great!
Old 06-13-19, 07:11 PM
All Yappi

chs1971 will become famous soon enough
My summer reading list was limited to Sports Illustrated.

OK, that's a lie. We lived across the street from a Carnegie library, but I never had anything assigned from the school.
Old 06-13-19, 07:26 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I had gone through 56 years of my life without reading The Great Gatsby. I had heard many times that it was the greatest American novel. ... But I've read a lot better.
Me too, but I waited 65 years. I enjoyed Fitzgerald's style, but the characters are all unsympathetic and the story is not that interesting either.

Another greatest American novel I read this winter was Huckleberry Finn. I read 4-5 Twain books when I was younger, but missed this one. He's back on my reading list.
Old 06-14-19, 09:43 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I reread Gatsby a couple years ago. I only enjoyed it because it was short and relatively easy to read. Other than that, screw it. I saw the Robert Redford version of the movie on TV once. Other than Nick (played by Sam Waterson), I found the other characters even more annoying than they were in the book which is saying something because Daisy just plain sucks.

The Scarlet Letter is my least favorite book I ever had to read, even more so than The Stranger or any Shakespeare. I could not get past Hawthorne's writing style. Hemingway never did it for me either. I found Huck Finn easier to read once I adopted the voice of a hillbilly kid in my head. Steinbeck's my favorite b/c of his simple writing style. I've read all of his books and enjoyed them all except East of Eden which was much too long.
Old 06-14-19, 09:49 AM
All District

mcm.1019 is on a distinguished road
Never understood the praise of Gatsby either, guess it just wasn't my cup of tea. As for least favorite book, we had to read Waiting for Godot in HS, pure torture.
Old 06-14-19, 10:50 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
Hemingway never did it for me either.
I had it in my mind that I had read a Hemingway short story, but had no idea when or why. A friend that teaches high school English suggested most likely when I was in high school. That makes sense.

I started with The Nick Adams Stories last November. Since then I have read nine Hemingway novels and two collections of short stories.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: