All World

Omar is on a distinguished road
So far this month:

Permanently Suspend- Anthony Cumia
The Street Agent- Wayne Manis
Old 07-14-19, 03:46 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
I read between 70 and 80 books a year, mostly by far are mysteries which I can knock off in 3-4 days (I'm a very fast reader). Currently, however, I'm reading Nine Perfect Strangers by Liann Moriarty, the Ausstralin author of Big Little Lies.
Old 07-14-19, 03:48 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Hats off to you LLF! I labor to read, but took a shot at Best Short Stories of the Last 100 Years (LOL) a little while back. I got about half way through the 700 page work before taking a break.

Only a few of the stories impressed me - sad to say - and the more recent ones seemed to get weirder and weirder.
Old 07-14-19, 04:30 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enoughlotr10 will become famous soon enough
Great thread LCF - thanks for starting it!

In non-fiction I just finished Victor Davis Hanson's "The Case for Trump". It's a very insightful work about how the craziness of the left/democrats combined with the lies of the republicans gave us Trump. Must read if you want to understand the Trump phenomena.

I just started reading "White" by Brest Easton Ellis (he wrote American Psycho among others). This is his first non-fiction book and it's going to make some heads explode, including mine!

In Fiction I just finished Neal Asher's "Line War". Asher is one of the best "hard" Science Fiction writers out there and his Polity universe is his best work.

I just started reading "Tiamats Wrath" by James Corey. This is the 8th book in the Expanse Series which just finished it's 2nd year on the Sci Fy channel and has moved over to Amazon. Fun series to read.
Old 07-14-19, 04:32 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Too much reading in the work.

I keep up on the Destroyermen series, an alt-world where a Destroyer and Japanese Battleship fighting in the South China Sea enter a cloud and end up on a parallel Earth in the middle of a sea battle in which other type animals evolved. It's the 14th book. Kind of dragging it out but this one was good.
Old 07-14-19, 04:35 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post

I just started reading "Tiamats Wrath" by James Corey. This is the 8th book in the Expanse Series which just finished it's 2nd year on the Sci Fy channel and has moved over to Amazon. Fun series to read.

3rd? Production wrapped on Amazon for a 2019 release. I've not read the books but the article said Book 4. Sounds exciting. First contacts.
Old 07-14-19, 05:12 PM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
"Crosley: Two Brothers and a Business Empire That Transformed the Nation" - Great story but not a well written book.

Up next: "Alien Horseman: An Italian Shavetail with Custer" about an Italian count who left Italy and served in the US Civil War and Indian Wars, including Custer's 7th Cav.

I don't read much fiction these days. The "News" these days contains all of the fiction I can stand.
Old 07-14-19, 05:13 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
3rd? Production wrapped on Amazon for a 2019 release. I've not read the books but the article said Book 4. Sounds exciting. First contacts.
Damn I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get Amazon. I haven't kept up with the production so I didn't know they already completed season 3. That's great news.

Book 4 is very good. In fact unlike Game of Thrones, the Expanse books get better with each addition.
Old 07-14-19, 07:08 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery will become famous soon enough
I'm not much of a reader, especially when it comes to contemporary literature, but I've managed 4 books this year:

Concussion by Jeanne Marie Laskas (got it for Xmas a couple years ago but never got around to reading it)
Military Memoirs of a Confederate: A Critical Narrative by Edward Porter Alexander (Alexander was an artillery commander in the Army of Northern Virginia)
The Squared Circle: Life, Death, and Professional Wrestling by David Shoemaker, A.K.A. "The Masked Man"
Shut Up Legs! by former professional cyclist Jens Voigt
Old 07-14-19, 08:01 PM
All American

Gardens35 is on a distinguished road
Couple hundred pages into RIOT ON SUNSET STRIP (ROCK AND ROLL'S LAST STAND IN HOLLYWOOD), Domenic Priore.
Old 07-15-19, 09:50 AM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
The Wise Man’s Fear - just finished this one. Second book of the Kingkiller Chronicles. 1,000 pages of beautiful writing and a well developed story. The author’s prose is incredible. Highly recommend this series for lovers of high fantasy.

The Name of the Wind - Pat Rothfuss - book one of the Kingkiller Chronicles

Sprawlball: A visual tour of the new era of the NBA. If you love the NBA and think we can do better things with analytics

Sapiens: a brief history of humankind. Really interesting if you don’t already know the history of human evolution

The Future of Humanity - Michio Kaku - imaginative but based on hard science. Fascinating to think where we could go

How to change your Mind - this is about the new science coming out in the realm of psychedelics... as well as their long, troubled, and mostly misunderstood history

All the Light We Cannot See - my favorite book so far this year. Beautifully written historical fiction set in both France and Germany during World War II. Highly, highly recommend

Astrophysics for people in a hurry - Neil Degrasse Tyson - his ability to distill endlessly complex concepts into something understandable by the masses is unmatched

The Fifth Risk - Michael Lewis - I have a standing order to read any new book that Lewis writes (The Big Short, Moneyball, etc). This one covers the transition period from the Obama to the Trump White House. Fascinating stuff
Old 07-15-19, 11:06 AM
All World

14Red is on a distinguished road
Books?
Old 07-15-19, 11:08 AM
All World

Someone challenged me on Twitter one time to a book a day challenge - where you post a book a day that you've read...I couldn't come up with that many... I don't read books.
Old 07-15-19, 12:47 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Someone challenged me on Twitter one time to a book a day challenge - where you post a book a day that you've read...I couldn't come up with that many... I don't read books.
Never would have guessed that.
Old 07-15-19, 02:06 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
Never would have guessed that.

I know, not one of my strong suits. I do read alot of newspapers/ follow interesting stuff/ listen to talk radio...just not book reader.
Old 07-15-19, 06:57 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post

Sapiens: a brief history of humankind. Really interesting if you donít already know the history of human evolution
I have this book on the shelf to be read before Thanksgiving. I'm looking forward to it.
Old 07-15-19, 10:47 PM
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN

MoeDude is on a distinguished road
The Sun & the Moon & The Rolling Stones by Rich Cohen. It's a very insightful look at the Rolling Stones. I guess I just didn't pay attention when I was young because I didn't realize the legal issues they had around their drug usage. Kind of sad what eventually happened to Brian Jones. He was the key at the beginning but it sounds like drugs and alcohol finally got the better of him. It's also interesting to read about the love hate relation they seem to have had with the Beatles. It's a very good history of this band.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: