Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  
Old 03-25-19, 07:28 AM
All American

bob22 is on a distinguished road
The Whisperers like to roam but now they' need territory? Makes no sense.

At least the new producers have learned from Gimple' s mistakes. We got the emotional gut punch now and not some ill conceived cliffhanger.

It was Game of Thrones-like with a big game changing event happening before the season finale. (Baelor, Blackwater Bay, Hardhome, Battle of the Bastards)

And now winter is coming

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-19, 07:35 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherProud View Post
too much to call it one of the best episodes of the series?
It's right up there. I knew the heads on a pike were coming but they did a pretty good job keeping me guessing as to whom it would be.

Another "regular" or two would have been even better. imo

Old 03-25-19, 08:18 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enoughlotr10 will become famous soon enough
A stunning plot twist at the end of last nights episode lifts this Season of WD to a level not seen since the first couple of years. It was believable, horrific & deeply sad. As others have noted it was much like a GOT gut punch.

So now the table is set for what must become a war of total annihilation. Any retreat from this by the writers would quickly wreck the show. As was noted by the doc, this was a purely evil act and must be answered with the extermination of the Whisperers. I will be curious to see if the producers take the show in this dark and genocidal direction.

But to be clear, the four United Community's must respond with a war plan that involves the killing of EVERY LAST Whisperer. There can be NO accommodation. It looks like it's time to unchain Negan and turn him lose.
Old 03-25-19, 08:20 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
It's right up there. I knew the heads on a pike were coming but they did a pretty good job keeping me guessing as to whom it would be.
I had no idea it was coming as I haven't read the comic. It took me completely by surprise and was even more gut wrenching as a result.
Old 03-25-19, 08:25 AM
All World

reporter07
Quote:
too much to call it one of the best episodes of the series?
No, itís not too much. I think it was the best since Carol destroyed Terminus. She seems to be poised for something similar now again.
Old 03-25-19, 08:27 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
I am glad we got to watch this as it aired otherwise we would have missed 1/3 of it as it ran long and the DVR only recorded an hour. I liked the ending and the loss of some sentimental favorites. There must have been more whisperers in the crowd other than Alpha to be able to take those individuals without getting caught.

A nagging complaint is the absence of any motor vehicles other than Daryl's motorcycle and the absence of guns in any of the four communities. Certainly they had the ability to keep at least one truck of SUV running in each of the communities. Wood alcohol and soy diesel could be made for one or two vehicles per community. What a difference Rick's Colt Python would make in certain circumstances. It being a revolver, they could even have used black powder in it.

Maybe I am thinking too much. Other than my pet peeves, it was a good episode.
I agree PM and I was also surprised when this ran well past 10:00! Don't these fools know people record these episodes? For some reason I watched live and I'm glad I did.

You're also right about the guns. Sure a lot of bullets would have been used up during the early days of the apocalypse but I suspect that these Hollywood/coastal writers just don't understand how many firearms and ammunition is stashed away in your typical rural American home. Go to Clermont or Pike county and there's probably a years worth of ammo in every house!

And you're right about the vehicle situation. Again the writers probably never lived on a farm where you regularly see 50+ year old trucks chugging along. The most important person in these communities after the doctor/nurse would be a mechanic!
Old 03-25-19, 08:28 AM
All World

reporter07
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
I had no idea it was coming as I haven't read the comic. It took me completely by surprise and was even more gut wrenching as a result.
I havenít read the comics, but was aware of the pikes scene and who was involved in that world. Watching it unfold was no less impactful for me. I think the subtle clues were a nice touch.
Old 03-25-19, 08:45 AM
All Yappi

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Me either. Good stuff.
Old 03-25-19, 08:47 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by reporter07 View Post
No, itís not too much. I think it was the best since Carol destroyed Terminus. She seems to be poised for something similar now again.
First thing I thought was that Alpha done F'd up now. She has no idea how bad Carol can get.
Old 03-25-19, 08:53 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
The Whisperers like to roam but now they' need territory? Makes no sense.

At least the new producers have learned from Gimple' s mistakes. We got the emotional gut punch now and not some ill conceived cliffhanger.

It was Game of Thrones-like with a big game changing event happening before the season finale. (Baelor, Blackwater Bay, Hardhome, Battle of the Bastards)

And now winter is coming

I thought the same thing. What a GOT rip-off (or homage?) as snowflakes fly.
Old 03-25-19, 09:04 AM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Quote:

Another "regular" or two would have been even better. imo

Yea I read about that the other day being in the comics, but it still got me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-19, 09:07 AM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Have we ever gotten a map of how far the community notices are from each other?

Old 03-25-19, 09:19 AM
All World

reporter07
Quote:
I knew the heads on a pike were coming but they did a pretty good job keeping me guessing as to whom it would be.
Agreed. The two biggest characters in the comics who were on the pikes we suitably teased as being included this time as well. For me, I thought that added to the suspense for folks who somewhat knew what was coming.
Old 03-25-19, 10:26 AM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
And you're right about the vehicle situation. Again the writers probably never lived on a farm where you regularly see 50+ year old trucks chugging along. The most important person in these communities after the doctor/nurse would be a mechanic!
What are we, seven years since the virus? There should still be new cars at car lots which have never been driven. Heck, every one of my three cars are over seven years old and one is over forty years old. A ten or twenty year old pick-up should still be serviceable.

Give me some wood alcohol and I would be good to go.
Old 03-25-19, 12:05 PM
All Yappi

Spille is on a distinguished road
I didn't watch and my dvr only recorded an hour because that's all that was allotted on the viewers guide.

So, I'm guessing the heads on a pike happened? Any big names? I knew it was coming as I am an avid comic reader, but I'm pi&&ed my dvr didn't get it all. Must find another way to watch.
Old 03-25-19, 12:30 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spille View Post
I didn't watch and my dvr only recorded an hour because that's all that was allotted on the viewers guide.

So, I'm guessing the heads on a pike happened? Any big names? I knew it was coming as I am an avid comic reader, but I'm pi&&ed my dvr didn't get it all. Must find another way to watch.
I believe they run the prior week's episode before the new one each Sunday.
Old 03-25-19, 12:39 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Quote:
Originally Posted by reporter07 View Post
Agreed. The two biggest characters in the comics who were on the pikes we suitably teased as being included this time as well. For me, I thought that added to the suspense for folks who somewhat knew what was coming.

I like that they did Henry instead of the King. I think it opens more story for both Lydia and Carol.

Old 03-25-19, 12:46 PM
All World

reporter07
Quote:
I like that they did Henry instead of the King. I think it opens more story for both Lydia and Carol.

Yeah, I was legitimately shocked that Henry was the final reveal. All I read was that his character was replacing Carl's in the story. Good swerve, IMO.

My only complaint is that it kind of took away from the reveal of someone who had been there since season 4.
Old 03-26-19, 08:12 AM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spille View Post

AMC really shot themselves in the foot by not getting the program guide updates out correctly. Ironically, the airing of the episode that followed The Talking Dead at 12:27 AM Monday morning had the correct length.

As mojo said, the episode will air again leading into this Sunday's finale. Or you can watch online on AMC's website: https://www.amc.com/shows/the-walkin...he-calm-before According to TVGuide.com, it'll also air again at 1:04 AM on Wednesday morning.
Old 03-26-19, 09:31 AM
All World

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
must admit I didn't recognize all the heads on the spikes..is there a list somewhere?

Last edited by Irwin20; 03-26-19 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-26-19, 10:24 AM
All Yappi

I think the highwaymen, the old lady who adopted the baby (her husband lived), a couple more short timers (introduced to die essentially), and then Enid, and Henry.
Old 03-26-19, 11:30 AM
All World

reporter07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin20 View Post
must admit I didn't recognize all the heads on the spikes..is there a list somewhere?
The Highwaymen leader, his sidekick, former Savior DJ, Frankie (one of Negan's wives from the Sanctuary), Tammy the old woman, two of the teens from Hilltop, Enid, Tara, Henry.
Old 03-26-19, 11:43 AM
All World

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
Ah Tara. I thought there was another "big name" Thanks Guys
Old 03-26-19, 01:23 PM
All Yappi

Oh wow, even I missed Tara. Talk about the longest running "blah" character of the series.
Old 03-26-19, 02:16 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Oh wow, even I missed Tara. Talk about the longest running "blah" character of the series.
I did not recognize her zombie head. The rest I pretty much recognized right off. I guess there really wasn't anything distinctive about her looks.
Old 03-26-19, 02:44 PM
All Yappi

Spille is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS 2001 View Post
AMC really shot themselves in the foot by not getting the program guide updates out correctly. Ironically, the airing of the episode that followed The Talking Dead at 12:27 AM Monday morning had the correct length.

As mojo said, the episode will air again leading into this Sunday's finale. Or you can watch online on AMC's website: https://www.amc.com/shows/the-walkin...he-calm-before According to TVGuide.com, it'll also air again at 1:04 AM on Wednesday morning.

Thanks
Old 03-26-19, 08:02 PM
All Yappi

zeeman is on a distinguished road
Glad the lesbians and Rosita made the cut
Old 04-01-19, 07:31 AM
All American

Fairly weak season-ender imo.

Judith and Negan are simply brilliant together.

Old 04-01-19, 07:48 AM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
I DVR as well so I had to wait until yesterday to watch the last 15 minutes of that episode. Glad that Henry is now gone.... annoying kid but I guess we are stuck with the girl who runs away every 5 minutes......

So, I am curious how the Whisperers fared during the snow storm. They have no shelter and just wander around? The season-ender felt like filler and I felt that some time had passed since the last episode. I am also curious how far the communities are from each other... at times it seems they get back and forth quickly while other times it takes days..... overall, the series improved this season from the last few but not nearly as good as the first few years.
Old 04-01-19, 08:51 AM
All Yappi

Wow, just wow. To ruin last weeks brilliant episode with such a lame, poorly directed and wimpy ending is very disappointing.

* They squandered the momentum they built from the previous episode. A terrible atrocity was committed against the four groups and there response was to navel gaze? This was NOT the episode to draw in and show restraint. This was the episode for the communities to explode in furious anger and strike back at the Whisperers.

* I don't want to inject politics into this but the writers seem like watered down progressives and this background screws up their depiction of human emotional responses to events. As examples:

- The king on multiple occasions whimpers about not wanting to cut through the Whisperers territory because it might spark a "war". Are you freaking kidding me! He just had his son and a whole bunch of other people butchered and he's worried about upsetting their killers?

- The apparent response to the mass murders is depression! They are all moping around feeling sorry for themselves. This is not how humans beings respond to this kind of provocation. GOT's gets it right by having the victims overreact and commit even worse crimes to avenge what was done to them. This is what drives that shows narrative and gets human nature right.

- The young guy whose girlfriends head was cut off and placed on a stake shows his outrage by passive-aggressively sniping at Lydia. Of course Daryl jumps in to save the day. Talk about a wimpy, inhuman response. That guy should have been gathering other like minded folks together (the old women's husband comes to mind) to go after the Whisperers and kill as many of them as possible.

* I don't want to nit-pick but they need to have writers who've actually been in a blizzard write that part of the story. I mean they're walking around without hats, gloves and with open jackets. Yet a river freezes solid enough to walk across in a day!

Without the Judith/Negan dynamic and the hint at the end that Negan will emerge as a war leader to help them deal with the whisperers this last episode of season 9 might have ruined the show for next year.

They need some NEW writers ASAP. The guys from GOT should be available.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: