Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-22-19, 06:55 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Reds lose a tough one, 6-5.

Rough start by Castillo combined with a 2-run double error by Iglesias -- 2 things that aren't going to happen very often. Get 'em tomorrow..
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-19, 08:32 PM
All World

Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
Reds lose a tough one, 6-5.

Rough start by Castillo combined with a 2-run double error by Iglesias -- 2 things that aren't going to happen very often. Get 'em tomorrow..
They needed 3 out of 4 going into this series. Get a win tomorrow.
Old 06-24-19, 09:51 AM
All World

14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm as excited as anyone about the Reds' 6-game winning streak. Yes -- as we had all figured -- the bats seem to have come alive (last night being an excellent example, as the Reds would probably not have won that game earlier in the year).
It's fun to see, but this has to be kept in perspective. Currently, we have a better record than only 4 other teams in the National League. That's a loooong way from the playoffs. As Indiandad says, there are several teams that the Reds must play better than -- just to make the one-game WC playoff.
For me, when the Reds get to .500 AND STAY THERE then we can have a meaningful conversation about any type of postseason possibilities. Until then, hope abounds (including mine). But that's all it is right now -- hope.
I love watching this team play.
I think the focus now is only in the division, I don't see the WC coming from the central.

That said, a loooong way is a 2-3 week hot streak. We made up 3 games in a week.
My thoughts Reds bats could not had been much worse the first two months of the season, and we're right in the hunt. Pitching is the driving force and we've got that. If our players just hit their major league averages or slightly below that, we're in good shape. Dietrich and Senzel are the only guys who've hit better than expected.
Old 06-24-19, 09:55 AM
All World

Not going to sneeze at a 6 game win streak or splitting 4 in Milwaukee, but man, this could had been so much better.
Mark Saturday, June 22 as a possibly important date. Think about it, you've won 6 straight, you get 3 in the top of the first, your ace is on the mound, and he promptly gives up 4, Iglesias error helped.
The Reds lose Saturday in a close game, then sleepwalk through Sunday's game.

Huge, huge opportunity to win Saturday and just let it get away early. Castillo's a little concerning. That's 3-4 times this season he's had a sizable early lead and not been able to hold it. It's like he has to be tied or down a run to pitch to his best.

Big picture though, we have scratched our way back into it.
Old 06-24-19, 10:10 AM
All World

ok, not put this out there but I think it's the time...

Do you want to know what's wrong with pro sports, and baseball in this instance. Alex Wood is beginning a rehab assignment with the Reds in the minor leagues.
Alex Wood, if you forget, left a spring training game in late February with back spasms... BACK SPASMS!!!
Wood is making 9 million this year.
Now do you suppose if Wood was say a journeyman pitcher, or someone on the last year of his original deal making $500,000, he'd had been back by now? I mean seriously...he could have broke his leg in February and been back by now.
I stand by this, baseball pitchers are the softest athletes out there. Imagine a football player missing a game because of back spasms?
Old 06-24-19, 11:17 AM
All American

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post

Do you want to know what's wrong with pro sports, and baseball in this instance. Alex Wood is beginning a rehab assignment with the Reds in the minor leagues.
Alex Wood, if you forget, left a spring training game in late February with back spasms... BACK SPASMS!!!
Now do you suppose if Wood was say a journeyman pitcher, or someone on the last year of his original deal making $500,000, he'd had been back by now? I mean seriously...he could have broke his leg in February and been back by now.
I stand by this, baseball pitchers are the softest athletes out there. Imagine a football player missing a game because of back spasms?

Not sure where to start with this post. There is a lot of nonsense to unpack here:

Are you saying that you think Alex Wood is choosing not to pitch because his back hurts a little? Do you think the Reds management would be OK with that and not challenge/push him if that is the case? Just pay him his $$$ and not have doctors / medical tests galore?

Pretty much every athlete that attains the highest levels of their sport is ultra-competitive. Players want to play and compete and win. For you to insinuate that Wood just wants to sit and collect checks, and that the Reds would be OK with that, is total nonsense.

You also seem to trivialize back problems. Have you ever known anyone with back issues? Nothing worse. Every little move, every breath can be excruciating. Have you ever seen what a pitcher's torso/back goes through on every pitch? probably second only to a golfer in terms of the back strain inflicted...

I understand you are frustrated because Wood hasn't pitched. We all are. But this post was just ignorant. Guaranteed that the Reds medical staff found something in an MRI in February, and they have been rehabbing/treating since then. Everyone, including Wood, wants him on the mound.

-
Old 06-24-19, 11:50 AM
All American

Thanks, wolves. You saved me a lot of time explaining this to our beloved 14Red.
I will only add that it goes against his own interests the longer he sits on the sidelines. He'll be a free agent at the end of the season, for goodness sake. The longer he sits, the worse his value is for his next contract.

Most importantly -- as someone who suffers from back spasms on a regular basis -- I thank you for not trivializing that issue.

Last edited by Monclova Steve; 06-24-19 at 12:02 PM..
Old 06-24-19, 12:58 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
Not sure where to start with this post. There is a lot of nonsense to unpack here:

Are you saying that you think Alex Wood is choosing not to pitch because his back hurts a little? Do you think the Reds management would be OK with that and not challenge/push him if that is the case? Just pay him his $$$ and not have doctors / medical tests galore?

Pretty much every athlete that attains the highest levels of their sport is ultra-competitive. Players want to play and compete and win. For you to insinuate that Wood just wants to sit and collect checks, and that the Reds would be OK with that, is total nonsense.

You also seem to trivialize back problems. Have you ever known anyone with back issues? Nothing worse. Every little move, every breath can be excruciating. Have you ever seen what a pitcher's torso/back goes through on every pitch? probably second only to a golfer in terms of the back strain inflicted...

I understand you are frustrated because Wood hasn't pitched. We all are. But this post was just ignorant. Guaranteed that the Reds medical staff found something in an MRI in February, and they have been rehabbing/treating since then. Everyone, including Wood, wants him on the mound.

-
wolves, I have no idea what to think. All I know is, if it were someone pitching for a chance to be a major leaguer, I'd bet you dollars to donuts they wouldn't have been out 4 months with back spasms.

Do the Reds want him to pitch? Is there something in you that thinks the Reds may just want to keep this quiet so the Reds can trade him? They already signed and paid him so that's out the door.

Pro baseball medical staffs do not "push" players. I rarely if ever see it. I'm just calling it as I see it. My "eye" test!!
Old 06-24-19, 01:40 PM
All World

Quote:
Thanks, wolves. You saved me a lot of time explaining this to our beloved 14Red.
I will only add that it goes against his own interests the longer he sits on the sidelines. He'll be a free agent at the end of the season, for goodness sake. The longer he sits, the worse his value is for his next contract.

Most importantly -- as someone who suffers from back spasms on a regular basis -- I thank you for not trivializing that issue.

Look, the Reds have already wrote that check to pay the man. They have everything to gain by him pitching...UNLESS they get some kind of insurance money if the does not throw a pitch. Was Wood damaged goods?

All I'm saying is if Wood was a 25 year old career minor leaguerer who was battling like crazy to get into the league...would he had been back by now? That's all I'm saying. He's already got the coin for 2019. Heck, at this point he may as well shut it down and find a sucker to sign him for next season.
Old 06-24-19, 02:05 PM
All American

Quote:

All I'm saying is if Wood was a 25 year old career minor leaguerer who was battling like crazy to get into the league...would he had been back by now? That's all I'm saying. He's already got the coin for 2019. Heck, at this point he may as well shut it down and find a sucker to sign him for next season.
What do you know about his condition? The answer is that YOU DON'T know anything.

Do you honestly think that the Reds would pay him $9.65M and not know his actual condition?

Of course, you won't deal with those questions because you're simply making stuff up.
Old 06-24-19, 04:35 PM
All World

Gh0st is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Look, the Reds have already wrote that check to pay the man. They have everything to gain by him pitching...UNLESS they get some kind of insurance money if the does not throw a pitch. Was Wood damaged goods?

Let's make him pitch while in pain. That way we can set a record for 500 ft home runs hit at GABP this season.

That or he can just learn the eephus curve.
Old 06-24-19, 06:17 PM
All Yappi

Arrogate will become famous soon enough
I dont know what to think but trust my eye test!

The best troll ever
Old 06-24-19, 08:22 PM
All World

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
This may be be the dumbest comments 14Red has ever posted in here and that's saying a lot. Core injuries are some of the most difficult injuries to come back from because they effect the entire body. You can't simply work through them. If Woods were to start overcompensating for the pain by changing his pitching motion it could easily end up as a serious arm issue.

Not sure why he compared Woods to a football player? NHL player not available?
Old 06-24-19, 10:33 PM
All Ohio

PeterDragon is on a distinguished road
Aside from the 14 Red circus, Castillo leads the MLB in walks and we are 8-8 in his 16 starts. Concerning?
Old 06-25-19, 07:13 AM
All World

Quote:
What do you know about his condition? The answer is that YOU DON'T know anything.

Do you honestly think that the Reds would pay him $9.65M and not know his actual condition?

Of course, you won't deal with those questions because you're simply making stuff up.
I don't know about his condition, you don't know about his condition, obviously the Reds don't know, or didn't know about his condition.

None of this is made up, it's happening right before our eyes. What's your answer to all this Mr. Steve??
Old 06-25-19, 07:17 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterDragon View Post
Aside from the 14 Red circus, Castillo leads the MLB in walks and we are 8-8 in his 16 starts. Concerning?
yes, it's concerning. His main pitch is his changeup, which is devastating, but he does not throw it for a strike. If batters are patient with him, they can work a walk. Castillo needs to be more effective with his fastball early in the count, his changeup is his out pitch, and it generally goes out of the strike zone.

My concern is in a few starts this year, he's had 2-3-4 run leads and he gets himself into trouble with walks or hit batters. You get a 3-4 run lead, you need to challenge hitters and not walk batters.
Old 06-25-19, 07:19 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
Let's make him pitch while in pain. That way we can set a record for 500 ft home runs hit at GABP this season.

That or he can just learn the eephus curve.
Yes, because athletes never play in a pain. Every athlete plays at 100%. If they have any kind of discomfort, they don't suit up. Give me a break.
Old 06-25-19, 08:55 AM
All World

troyboy73 is on a distinguished road
This Friday, GABP turns into Wrigley Field South!
Old 06-25-19, 09:45 AM
All American

Quote:
I don't know about his condition, you don't know about his condition, obviously the Reds don't know, or didn't know about his condition.

None of this is made up, it's happening right before our eyes. What's your answer to all this Mr. Steve??
What I see is a pitcher who unfortunately sustained an injury during spring training, and has had a long road to getting back. This happens everywhere all the time.
I have answered your question(s). Now answer mine:
You admit that you don't know about his condition; then why are you implying things about his recovery?
You state clearly that "the Reds don't know" about his condition. How can you possibly know that?
Old 06-25-19, 09:57 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:

Lots of nfl players miss games due to back spasms, specifically Gronk missed a lot of time for such an issue.
Old 06-25-19, 10:19 AM
All World

Quote:
Yes, because athletes never play in a pain. Every athlete plays at 100%. If they have any kind of discomfort, they don't suit up. Give me a break.
When the injury directly affects your ability to perform at a high level, AKA pitching, then they are a liability to the team and need to be rested until healthy.

How easy do you think pitching at the major league level is?
Old 06-25-19, 10:48 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:

lol
Old 06-25-19, 10:55 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
When the injury directly affects your ability to perform at a high level, AKA pitching, then they are a liability to the team and need to be rested until healthy.

How easy do you think pitching at the major league level is?
Even losing a few mph or a little bite on a breaking pitch is the difference between a dozen ground outs and foul balls or a dozen homers and doubles at that level.

But "Play hurt!" for a pitcher is just like a old bricklayer dragging himself in to work on a Friday with a sore back in 14Red's world
Old 06-25-19, 11:11 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Even losing a few mph or a little bite on a breaking pitch is the difference between a dozen ground outs and foul balls or a dozen homers and doubles at that level.

But "Play hurt!" for a pitcher is just like a old bricklayer dragging himself in to work on a Friday with a sore back in 14Red's world
A breaking pitch that doesn't break is a slow fastball. Those tend to land a long way from where they started.
Old 06-25-19, 01:36 PM
All American

Quote:
16 starts, 13 of which he gave up 2 or fewer earned runs. The other 3 games he gave up 4 ER. He is the least of the Reds problems.

Do I wish he had better command and walked fewer guys? Absolutely. But he is getting the job done. Most of those losses were due to lack of offense.
Old 06-25-19, 01:38 PM
All American

Quote:

So you think the Reds don't know exactly what the condition of his injury is? You are totally clueless. They have a $9M investment in him. You better believe they know exactly what his issue is.
Old 06-25-19, 02:12 PM
All American

Quote:
Concerning?
Well, as wolves82 says, it's something that can be worked on, but "Concerning?" No.
BTW, he also leads the NL (don't know about MLB) in the fewest hits allowed per 9 innings.
Finally, as most baseball people will say, the worst way to judge a pitcher's performance is by reciting their W/L record.

Color me just fine with Luis C.
Old 06-25-19, 02:45 PM
All World

Quote:
Concerning?
Well, as wolves82 says, it's something that can be worked on, but "Concerning?" No.
BTW, he also leads the NL (don't know about MLB) in the fewest hits allowed per 9 innings.
Finally, as most baseball people will say, the worst way to judge a pitcher's performance is by reciting their W/L record.

Color me just fine with Luis C.
I'm fine with Castillo, he's our ace. Am I concerned, yes. The league has made an adjustment to him, now it's time for him to adjust.
Old 06-25-19, 07:07 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
I'm fine with Castillo, he's our ace. Am I concerned, yes. The league has made an adjustment to him, now it's time for him to adjust.
Whew.
Old 06-25-19, 07:08 PM
All World

Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Castillo was 3rd in a poll of sportswriters for NL Cy Young behind Ryu and Scherzer.

You might be the only person concerned.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: