Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-18-18, 08:26 AM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Starbucks - right move or grandstanding

Our good friends at Starbucks has taken a potential molehill and turned it into a mountain, but they may be turning that mountain into a huge valley for them, in a positive way.
My guess is most Starbucks patrons would be...say...on the liberal side...kind of a millenial type hangout, etc...get my drift...

Well, the story goes like this, at a Philadelphia Starbucks recently, a couple of gentlemen (they were black, but in my mind it's irreleveant, I'm sure at a Philly or some Starbucks, they have a mixture of clients) were just sitting at a table, this is an enclosed restaurant. They didn't buy anything, they were just sitting there. They were asked a if they intended on ordering anything and they refused. So the shift manager called the police...i mean, what other recourse was there? It looked failry busy on the video, so you're losing business if you let people just hang out in your restaurant.

Police are called, the video was about 8 minutes. My guess is more questioning occurred, and these guys simply either A. refused to order anything, and B. refused to leave the establishment. So guess what? They get arrested.

I see absolutely nothing wrong here. A private business is not the public park or library. You can't just go hang out there if you're not a customer.

Of course many of our left leaning people don't see it this way. Starbucks, and this is where I give them credit, saw this coming a mile away and jumped in front of the media train. The CEO has apologized and the manager fired, and get this...Starbucks nationwide is closing for a few hours sometime the next week to do "racial training"??? Seriously, cannot make this stuff up.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-18, 08:54 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Good on the manager. Hopefully Peet's or something picks him up.
Old 04-18-18, 09:04 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
It's a private business. Their policy is their policy, and they are entitled to enforce it, provided it's not based on race and they apply it consistently. Otherwise, they're on the hook.

Additionally, the police made the right call. I'm no attorney (I did drive by a Holiday Inn last night), but if a private establishment says someone is trespassing and that person refuses to move, seems to me that the onus is on that person if they get cuffed and taken away because of their refusal to leave. And the police also made the right call by releasing the men after Starbucks indicated they would not press charges.

According to Starbucks, each individual location establishes its own policy on non-paying customers - that's problematic, IMO. A chain should have the same consistency in non-food policies that they have in the way each store barista is to make a drink on the menu. I haven't seen if it's been shown that this location had something posted and whether they enforced it consistently or not. Hopefully their CEO will create and enforce a company-wide policy that all the stores follow.

Interestingly, a nearby McDonald's has a sign in the lobby mandating a 20-minute limit for paying customers once they sit down and eat. Nobody's boycotting McDonald's yet. With apologies to Henry Jordan, they probably aren't being accused of discrimination because they treat all patrons the same - like dogs.
Old 04-18-18, 09:09 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
I’ve used a Starbucks restroom and met with people there plenty of times before actually buying something. I always buy something before I leave, but have never been confronted to do so. I’m white.
Old 04-18-18, 09:29 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
I’ve used a Starbucks restroom and met with people there plenty of times before actually buying something. I always buy something before I leave, but have never been confronted to do so. I’m white.
I'm white, and I never - ever - sit in a Starbucks, much less use their restroom. I get my mocha cappucino and leave pronto.

Part of it is because of the looks I get from the tattooed lip ring-wearing baristas taking my order, who, although being outwardly pleasant, have an accusing look in their eyes that clearly says, "you - you - Trump-turd, truck-driving meat eater!"

Part of is from the looks I get after they've written "Zunardo" on my cup, and I'm laughing at the poor person at the end of the chain is trying to pronounce it unsuccessfully while announcing my drink is ready.
Old 04-18-18, 09:29 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Hilarious stuff here
Old 04-18-18, 09:33 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
I'm white, and I never - ever - sit in a Starbucks, much less use their restroom. I get my mocha cappucino and leave pronto.

Part of it is because of the looks I get from the tattooed lip ring-wearing baristas taking my order, who, although being outwardly pleasant, have an accusing look in their eyes that clearly says, "you - you - Trump-turd, truck-driving meat eater!"

Part of is from the looks I get after they've written "Zunardo" on my cup, and I'm laughing at the poor person at the end of the chain is trying to pronounce it unsuccessfully while announcing my drink is ready.
Not judgy at all... too funny!
Old 04-18-18, 09:36 AM
All Yappi

Quote:

Weird. Starbucks is usually full of students and professionals at the locations I visit. I donít see the environment you describe at all.
Old 04-18-18, 09:58 AM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Glad to see Starbucks sides with the criminal over the police. Oh Libtards
Old 04-18-18, 10:34 AM
All American

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
Grandstanding at the highest level. Wonder how much money they lose with this PR stunt? I know they will lose mine. That's really not true because I already do not buy or go to Starbucks for anything.
Old 04-18-18, 10:50 AM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Situations like this are great because there are people who ardently take sides and turn it into a political spectacle. These are the people we know not to take seriously and ignore. The liberals who somehow see an injustice, and the 14Red and 19oldman63 types who then use it to paint an entire side the same color.
Old 04-18-18, 10:53 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19AL63 View Post
Grandstanding at the highest level. Wonder how much money they lose with this PR stunt? I know they will lose mine. That's really not true because I already do not buy or go to Starbucks for anything.
Why would they lose money for providing racial bias training to employees? Other than due to closing the business for a day?
Old 04-18-18, 11:05 AM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Iíve used a Starbucks restroom and met with people there plenty of times before actually buying something.
I probably would have worded this differently. Surprised Cabe hasnít jumped you yet.
Old 04-18-18, 11:15 AM
All Yappi

Ha, that’s funny.
Old 04-18-18, 11:16 AM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Quote:

Can't wait until three years or so when Starbucks has perfected a robot who makes the ideal cappucino and all the English lit majors see their barrista jobs disappear.
Old 04-18-18, 11:26 AM
All World

Quote:
Iíve used a Starbucks restroom and met with people there plenty of times before actually buying something. I always buy something before I leave, but have never been confronted to do so. Iím white.
Ok, I'll play along.... my guess is you immediately go in, use the restroom and meet people and make a timely purpose. Every Starbucks is run differently I assume, and we don't know if there has been trouble in the past, how long they were at the establishment, etc.
This is just another way the liberals can jump into a situation and make it racial. These guys happened to be black, my guess is white males can't just hang out in there and not purchase anything.
I'll be interested to see how this one plays out. The terminated employee may have some recourse, depending on the circumstances.
Old 04-18-18, 11:31 AM
All Yappi

zeeman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Iíve used a Starbucks restroom and met with people there plenty of times before actually buying something. I always buy something before I leave, but have never been confronted to do so. Iím white.
You meet people in Starbuck's restrooms?
Old 04-18-18, 11:32 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeman View Post
You meet people in Starbuck's restrooms?
No.
Old 04-18-18, 11:33 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
Situations like this are great because there are people who ardently take sides and turn it into a political spectacle. These are the people we know not to take seriously and ignore. The liberals who somehow see an injustice, and the 14Red and 19oldman63 types who then use it to paint an entire side the same color.
Sorry ronnie, but as soon as the patrons refused to buy anything or leave on private property, it became political. Starbucks isn't stupid, they know who their clientele and how they think. They knew this was going to cause a firestorm, and it's not about right or wrong, it's about protecting the the money machine. So they protected their assets and is throwing out this "training" deal. Most of their market won't care and would buy their coffee anyway, but ENOUGH of their audience are left enough they could take their business elsewhere. And heck, they'll probably get some new business out of this.
Old 04-18-18, 11:33 AM
All American

Quote:
Weird. Starbucks is usually full of students and professionals at the locations I visit. I don’t see the environment you describe at all.
Are you talking about the baristas, or the customers? I couldn't tell you about who's sitting at the tables, just that they usually have a line at all times.

LOL. Full disclosure, I typically don't go to Starbucks on the street - it's usually when I'm at a shopping mall, so they trend toward the whippersnapper/teenybopper demographic. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
Can't wait until three years or so when Starbucks has perfected a robot who makes the ideal cappucino and all the English lit majors see their barrista jobs disappear.
Oh, I don't know. It's as close as I get to watching a skillful bartender. I enjoy watching the ones that can do it quickly and with a bit of flair. A robot wouldn't be nearly as fun.

M: "Is that all it does?"

Last edited by Zunardo; 04-18-18 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-18-18, 11:35 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Sorry ronnie, but as soon as the patrons refused to buy anything or leave on private property, it became political. Starbucks isn't stupid, they know who their clientele and how they think. They knew this was going to cause a firestorm, and it's not about right or wrong, it's about protecting the the money machine. So they protected their assets and is throwing out this "training" deal. Most of their market won't care and would buy their coffee anyway, but ENOUGH of their audience are left enough they could take their business elsewhere. And heck, they'll probably get some new business out of this.
You're pretty dense so I didn't expect you to know what I meant by "political". Ignored everything after the first sentence.
Old 04-18-18, 11:36 AM
All World

Quote:

Now this is funny...

BTW, for the tattooed, lip ring people...at some point you thought this looked ok?
And for those who have a tatoo on the back of their neck...why? You can't even see it...so what's the purpose? Is it some kind of branding? SMH...
Old 04-18-18, 11:39 AM
All Yappi

It sounds like Starbucks as an enterprise is okay with people hanging out without making a purchase. Why are people freaking out that they would train their staff to not discriminate?
Old 04-18-18, 11:44 AM
All World

Quote:
It sounds like Starbucks as an enterprise is okay with people hanging out without making a purchase. Why are people freaking out that they would train their staff to not discriminate?
I feel Starbucks is doing a disservice to their managers by forcing this training on them that they already know and do. This is all about protecting the image of the company, plain and simple.
Old 04-18-18, 11:46 AM
All World

WinstonSmith has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Who really cares, even if it is a disservice to the managers (which I doubt it is)?
Old 04-18-18, 11:58 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
Who really cares, even if it is a disservice to the managers (which I doubt it is)?
Who really cares.... "who really cares"... let's examine this....

This is the continued decay of our society today...here's why you should care...

Taxpayers (you) pay for fire, police, safety, security, etc.

We are now at a point in our country where some of it's citizens do not respect, or listen to simple police commands. Winston you sound like a pretty good person, although I don't know you at all. Would you ever, be in a situation like these two guys, who upon being asked by the owners of the private business, asked them to leave if they were not purchasing something,then after about a 6-8 minute discussion with multiple police officers, still not leave and even so much as to be arrested?? You really would do that? Do you think the police had intended upon cuffing the guys?? They probably thought, like most situations, they just ask the person to leave and they leave.

So does it affect our everyday boring lives, no... but where are we at today when we have a percentage of citizens who apparently have nothing better to do than to hang around private businesses, not listen to simple command and then buck the authorities???

No, you don't have to care, but shouldn't you??
Old 04-18-18, 11:59 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I feel Starbucks is doing a disservice to their managers by forcing this training on them that they already know and do. This is all about protecting the image of the company, plain and simple.
Not sure how itís a disservice, but why shouldnít a company seek to protect its market image, especially if it protects their value for their shareholders?
Old 04-18-18, 12:00 PM
All Yappi

Wtf is 14red blubbering about?
Old 04-18-18, 12:08 PM
All Yappi

Who really knows at this point, but it sounds like he's against free enterprise.
Old 04-18-18, 12:16 PM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Who really cares.... "who really cares"... let's examine this....

This is the continued decay of our society today...here's why you should care...

Taxpayers (you) pay for fire, police, safety, security, etc.

We are now at a point in our country where some of it's citizens do not respect, or listen to simple police commands. Winston you sound like a pretty good person, although I don't know you at all. Would you ever, be in a situation like these two guys, who upon being asked by the owners of the private business, asked them to leave if they were not purchasing something,then after about a 6-8 minute discussion with multiple police officers, still not leave and even so much as to be arrested?? You really would do that? Do you think the police had intended upon cuffing the guys?? They probably thought, like most situations, they just ask the person to leave and they leave.

So does it affect our everyday boring lives, no... but where are we at today when we have a percentage of citizens who apparently have nothing better to do than to hang around private businesses, not listen to simple command and then buck the authorities???

No, you don't have to care, but shouldn't you??
Just so we're clear: you're saying the taxpayers, by way of police salaries, are impacted by Starbucks requiring it's employees to attend a training class?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: