Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-18-18, 12:29 PM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
How long were they sitting there and how busy was the place, are my initial questions. I'd be fine with a manager making this approach if there were no other seats available and the two gentlemen in question had been there for over an hour without making a purchase. Calling the cops is a bad move though, as long as they're not being disruptive

I think you let them know what they're doing is frowned upon but you don't make a scene or forcibly have them removed. It's just a coffee shop after all
Old 04-18-18, 12:33 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
How long were they sitting there and how busy was the place, are my initial questions. I'd be fine with a manager making this approach if there were no other seats available and the two gentlemen in question had been there for over an hour without making a purchase. Calling the cops is a bad move though, as long as they're not being disruptive

I think you let them know what they're doing is frowned upon but you don't make a scene or forcibly have them removed. It's just a coffee shop after all
A very reasonable perspective.
Old 04-18-18, 12:45 PM
All Yappi

Descartes has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Sorry ronnie, but as soon as the patrons refused to buy anything or leave on private property, it became political. Starbucks isn't stupid, they know who their clientele and how they think. They knew this was going to cause a firestorm, and it's not about right or wrong, it's about protecting the the money machine. So they protected their assets and is throwing out this "training" deal. Most of their market won't care and would buy their coffee anyway, but ENOUGH of their audience are left enough they could take their business elsewhere. And heck, they'll probably get some new business out of this.
Itís bs, but as CEO, youíve gotta eat s**t on this. I would say anyone who canít see this as a blatant PR stunt is a moron. The training is ludicrous. Youíve got hundreds of thousands of employees and youíre going to punish them for an isolated incident they had nothing to do with? Itís not like itís been a string of incidents. Plus, Sbucks is already about as far left as a Public Company can lean.
Old 04-18-18, 01:14 PM
All Yappi

Southwest Guy is on a distinguished road
Was the manager one of the 10,000 refuges that Schultz was going to hire when Trump talked about border security ?

Probably a much needed PR move. He was going to lose money either way because the polite gentlemen who may or may not have been loitering would have been replaced by wacko's.

He would have lost a lot more money had their been sit ins and protests
clogging traffic at his stores. Strictly a business move on Schultz's part to stop the bleeding. A good one at that.
Old 04-18-18, 01:20 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
How long were they sitting there and how busy was the place, are my initial questions.
Seems like any reasonable person would want to know this up front. My first thoughts were the same.
Old 04-18-18, 01:25 PM
All World

WinstonSmith has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Who really cares.... "who really cares"... let's examine this....

This is the continued decay of our society today...here's why you should care...

Taxpayers (you) pay for fire, police, safety, security, etc.

We are now at a point in our country where some of it's citizens do not respect, or listen to simple police commands. Winston you sound like a pretty good person, although I don't know you at all. Would you ever, be in a situation like these two guys, who upon being asked by the owners of the private business, asked them to leave if they were not purchasing something,then after about a 6-8 minute discussion with multiple police officers, still not leave and even so much as to be arrested?? You really would do that? Do you think the police had intended upon cuffing the guys?? They probably thought, like most situations, they just ask the person to leave and they leave.

So does it affect our everyday boring lives, no... but where are we at today when we have a percentage of citizens who apparently have nothing better to do than to hang around private businesses, not listen to simple command and then buck the authorities???

No, you don't have to care, but shouldn't you??
You're such a clueless moron it's hard to comprehend. How is their training day related to taxpayers paying for fire/police/etc??? It has no impact on any of that. I have absolutely no care at all if Starbucks takes a day for racial sensitivity training or not, nor should I IMO.
Old 04-18-18, 01:29 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Corporation has useless training session for employees. Talk about news bulletin.
Old 04-18-18, 01:32 PM
All World

Seriously, that's dumb even for 14Red.
Old 04-18-18, 01:56 PM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
You're such a clueless moron it's hard to comprehend. How is their training day related to taxpayers paying for fire/police/etc??? It has no impact on any of that. I have absolutely no care at all if Starbucks takes a day for racial sensitivity training or not, nor should I IMO.
Swing and a miss Winston....missing my point completely...have a good day...
Old 04-18-18, 02:04 PM
All Yappi

Pretty easy to miss a point that doesn't exist.
Old 04-18-18, 02:07 PM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
"who cares that starbucks is making their managers go to a training class" asks Winston Smith

14Red replies, "You should! Because the taxpayers pay for the police salaries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Old 04-18-18, 02:35 PM
All World

Old 04-18-18, 04:03 PM
All Ohio

domi is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Below is the closest thing I can find to an account of what happened. Sounds like they walked in, asked to use the bathroom, were told no by the manager who then asked them to leave, they wouldn't leave so the manager called the police. At some point they indicated they were waiting for a friend who showed up when they were being arrested.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ace/521750002/

Sounds like both parties handled the situation poorly. The manager jumped the gun on asking the guys to leave and the guys didn't leave when asked to do so.

As for Starbucks, of course it's a PR move. Picking the day after Memorial Day for "training" isn't a coincidence. It's probaly on of their slowest days in the next few weeks. It's all about the bottom line and this is the best thing they can do. Think about it another way, if they didn't take quick and bold action like they did they would probaly be subject to NAACP sit-ins, protests, etc which would be way more negative news.

Great thread, 14red!
Old 04-18-18, 04:12 PM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Note: As of this date / this is planned for corporate owned stores only, privately owned
franchise stores are not subjected to this mandatory training.

:>---

EGA
Old 04-18-18, 05:06 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Iíve used a Starbucks restroom and met with people there plenty of times before actually buying something. I always buy something before I leave, but have never been confronted to do so. Iím white.
I was in Akron, had an hour or so to kill so I went into a convenience store. Looked around for awhile and then camped out over by the magazines and started reading. I was asked if I was going to buy something, I said no just killing some time... they told me I had to leave....

I left....

oh, and I am white.
Old 04-18-18, 05:10 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
I was in Akron, had an hour or so to kill so I went into a convenience store. Looked around for awhile and then camped out over by the magazines and started reading. I was asked if I was going to buy something, I said no just killing some time... they told me I had to leave....

I left....

oh, and I am white.
Old 04-18-18, 05:33 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by domi View Post
Below is the closest thing I can find to an account of what happened. Sounds like they walked in, asked to use the bathroom, were told no by the manager who then asked them to leave, they wouldn't leave so the manager called the police. At some point they indicated they were waiting for a friend who showed up when they were being arrested.

Sounds like both parties handled the situation poorly. The manager jumped the gun on asking the guys to leave and the guys didn't leave when asked to do so.

As for Starbucks, of course it's a PR move. Picking the day after Memorial Day for "training" isn't a coincidence. It's probaly on of their slowest days in the next few weeks. It's all about the bottom line and this is the best thing they can do. Think about it another way, if they didn't take quick and bold action like they did they would probaly be subject to NAACP sit-ins, protests, etc which would be way more negative news.

Great thread, 14red!
Pretty clear Starbucks realizes these guys were miss treated and is trying to remedy the situation.
Old 04-18-18, 06:15 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by domi View Post

Great thread, 14red!
Thanks for the link. I still don't see where it says they just walked in and asked to use the rest room or they were sitting for an hour and asked to use the rest room. Could have been either one though I agree with everything else you say. No way Schultz was going to allow coffee is black signs all over the news with staged sit ins. Good business move on his part.
Old 04-18-18, 06:20 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Pretty clear Starbucks realizes these guys were miss treated and is trying to remedy the situation.
Could have easily done all the training like they always do and not close 8,000 company stores to try and slow down the onslaught. He's cutting his losses and trying to keep paying customers verses protesters filling up his seats and chasing away paying customers. Good business decision.
Old 04-18-18, 07:41 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
It's pretty clear there are those who see opportunity and have NO interest in any apology. But I also don't see the opinions that this is a ploy. Customer service training is normal op, particularly when something goes wrong.

Starbucks: it's mostly kids. Certain demographics might be at play that aren't the same as the demographics of the customers and they are human making the same jump to conclusions that any human does. I really can't think of a single job I've had that involved direct face-to-face that didn't involve training on how to put aside any possible preexisting judgments or if not, to be told clearly if I let them be recognized, I'd be looking for new employment.

The goal though, is do the training before it's needed. Not after the jump to conclusions have cost face.
Old 04-18-18, 08:45 PM
All Ohio

Tardis is on a distinguished road
Private business can handle their business as they see fit and customers can peacefully demonstrate and share their experiences.

The real problem with this situation is the public validation of the Implicit Bias Testing/ Training. Both the testing and training are complete junk science that are simply not replicable. Even the creators of it have tried to make known it's worthless. Like lie detector tests and a large amount of forensic science, once the public backs a process that supposedly easily solves a problem its hard to go back when later study finds that it doesn't work. It leads to greater problems and enables those in positions of power to use "science" to violate the rights of others.
Old 04-18-18, 09:10 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwest Guy View Post
Could have easily done all the training like they always do and not close 8,000 company stores to try and slow down the onslaught. He's cutting his losses and trying to keep paying customers verses protesters filling up his seats and chasing away paying customers. Good business decision.
Is this supposed to be a counter to what I posted? It’s pretty evident from the story the manager jumped the gun in ordering these guys out and calling the police. I’m sure there are a lot of ways they could have provided training, but making a one time effort likely gets it done sooner and appeases the crowd that potentially could impact the business. Of course it was a smart business decision.
Old 04-18-18, 10:21 PM
All Yappi

This is gold. Black guy walks into Starbucks and demands coffee reparations. Walks out with free coffee. White guilt is so pathetic. Progressives getting taken advantage of because they have no spine. Love it.
Old 04-18-18, 11:43 PM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
^Smart man
Old 04-19-18, 05:11 AM
All World

queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
The lefties will eat up this virtue-signaling.
Old 04-19-18, 08:34 AM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
It's pretty clear these guys were looking for trouble, and it's clear Starbucks is trying to get in front of a PC crowd, largely of their main market of people, to keep their business vibrant.

I just love the sidebars to this story, sad, but I like the varying opinions. Starbucks doesn't get to where it's at today by being racist.
Old 04-19-18, 08:55 AM
All Ohio

Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No, you don't have to care, but shouldn't you??
No. This could've been set up from the beginning. You ever think that maybe they had been asked to leave on a previous day or maybe a friend had? So they come back and make a big public spectacle. Now they are national news and the person that had kicked them out is fired and everyone has to take diversity training.

I don't own Starbucks in my portfolio and I don't frequent their establishments. Don't care. The CEO is doing what he feels is best to reduce the businesses reputational risk. That's a good CEO.
Old 04-19-18, 09:48 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
So is it fair to assume that going forward Starbucks will offer, along with it's overpriced & crappy coffee, an in store experience featuring hordes of squatters using the free bathroom and kicking back in those plush seats? That should drive up business big time.

Starbucks could even ask panhandlers to set up shop in their stores so that their hipster customers can virtue signal while handing them their change. Heck, this could even boost visits from grumpy old conservatives like me who can tell the panhandlers to get a job when they ask for change!
Old 04-19-18, 10:12 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but seems the Starbucks manager called the police 2 minutes after the guys walked in. That's not a good look on the Starbucks manager. That being said...

Quote:
“We were there for a real reason, a real deal that we were working on,” Robinson told the Associated Press. “We were at a moment that could have a positive impact on a whole ladder of people, lives, families. So I was like, ‘No, you’re not stopping that right now.’”
There's a time and a place for everything. Starbucks isn't the time or place if you aren't going to buy anything. You are not entitled to use their space even if you were there for a real reason, a real deal you were working on. Talk about entitlement.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.3942931
Old 04-19-18, 10:29 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tardis View Post
Private business can handle their business as they see fit and customers can peacefully demonstrate and share their experiences.

The real problem with this situation is the public validation of the Implicit Bias Testing/ Training. Both the testing and training are complete junk science that are simply not replicable. Even the creators of it have tried to make known it's worthless. Like lie detector tests and a large amount of forensic science, once the public backs a process that supposedly easily solves a problem its hard to go back when later study finds that it doesn't work. It leads to greater problems and enables those in positions of power to use "science" to violate the rights of others.

Are you saying you feel an employer mandating training is violating a right? I don't know if your facts are correct about this particular training, nor do I doubt them. I kind of followed your implications until that last sentence.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: