Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins: Massillon Washington (6-3) at Canton McKinley (8-1)
Massillon Washington by 1-7 17 27.42%
Massillon Washington by 8-14 4 6.45%
Massillon Washington by 15+ 0 0%
Canton McKinley by 1-7 11 17.74%
Canton McKinley by 8-14 21 33.87%
Canton McKinley by 15+ 9 14.52%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-17, 05:18 AM
All Region

pup pounder is an unknown quantity at this point
Massillon Vs Mckinley

The Tigers have surpassed my expectations on the year. I dont think they have the fire power or the defense to play with the dawgs this year.I hope im wrong tho. The only thing im looking forward to saturday is seeing the new stadium.
mck 44 mass 10........Watson beats travis mcGuires rushing record?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-17, 06:11 AM
All Region

pup pounder is an unknown quantity at this point
A sad side note is both Wakefield and Rearden wanted the Massillon job.Would either one of them have been successful in Tigertown? I believe Keith would have......Back to the game.If Our quarterback can be effective we have a chance to not be embarassed.
The coach coaches like hes just collecting his paycheck.The assistant coaches are lost in the mix and the players dont show any heart or desire.their not tuff enough.Its a Jv team for crying out loud,with Jv coaches
Old 10-21-17, 06:49 AM
All Yappi

perry1480 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pup pounder View Post
A sad side note is both Wakefield and Rearden wanted the Massillon job.Would either one of them have been successful in Tigertown? I believe Keith would have......Back to the game.If Our quarterback can be effective we have a chance to not be embarassed.
The coach coaches like hes just collecting his paycheck.The assistant coaches are lost in the mix and the players dont show any heart or desire.their not tuff enough.Its a Jv team for crying out loud,with Jv coaches
The Booster Klub would have thrown Wakefield out long ago like a baby with the bathwater.
Old 10-21-17, 07:05 AM
All Yappi

BigBulldog is an unknown quantity at this point
Perry is better than Massillon and......Wait throw out the records this is Massillon-McKinley.
Old 10-21-17, 07:38 AM
Moderated User

sam the butcher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You guys kill me with the coach talk. Over on that Massillon site, yuns have been wanting more Massillon guys on the staff, well your whole, entire defensive staff is full of ex Tigers and my neighbor's kids flag team would put up 28 on them. By the way it's spelled "tough".
Old 10-21-17, 08:20 AM
All Ohio

starkfb
As usual good luck to the Pups week 10. I think McKinley has the D. If coach R doesn't get too fancy with the O , McKinley will come away with a W.! So, good luck Bulldogs !!! __ --BAM !! and go Perry of course!
Old 10-21-17, 08:28 AM
All American

falguin is on a distinguished road
Massillon can win this game. Massillon's losses have been to really good teams, and they have beaten quality opponents. I don't think McK is as good as they appeared, and Perry exposed them. Would McK have beaten Mentor, St.V's, and that team from New York that the Tigers lost to? I don't think so. Massillon blew the St. V's game. If Massillon's defense is bad then McK's is just as bad. Massillon has given up big points to Fitch, Canisius, Mentor, and Bedford. Check out the amount of points those teams put up on other teams. Both Mentor and Bedford have put up scores in the 60's. McK has given up a lot of points to teams that do not have the explosiveness of Mentor, Bedford and Canisius. I don't think they will blow this game. McK also gives up a lot of points. Both teams have basically two quality wins. Massillon beat Fitch and Bedford. McK beat Jackson and Hudson. I don't understand the early talk on this thread. These two teams are evenly matched. I'll take Massillon 31 - 24.
Old 10-21-17, 08:56 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by falguin View Post
Massillon can win this game. Massillon's losses have been to really good teams, and they have beaten quality opponents. I don't think McK is as good as they appeared, and Perry exposed them. Would McK have beaten Mentor, St.V's, and that team from New York that the Tigers lost to? I don't think so. Massillon blew the St. V's game. If Massillon's defense is bad then McK's is just as bad. Massillon has given up big points to Fitch, Canisius, Mentor, and Bedford. Check out the amount of points those teams put up on other teams. Both Mentor and Bedford have put up scores in the 60's. McK has given up a lot of points to teams that do not have the explosiveness of Mentor, Bedford and Canisius. I don't think they will blow this game. McK also gives up a lot of points. Both teams have basically two quality wins. Massillon beat Fitch and Bedford. McK beat Jackson and Hudson. I don't understand the early talk on this thread. These two teams are evenly matched. I'll take Massillon 31 - 24.
Sorry to burst your bubble but St V isn't all that great this year.Perry and McKinley would easily beat them.

McKinley was beating Hudson 38-6 in the 4th qt and had a running clock on them.McKinley put in there 2nd sting and Hudson scored 3 TD's late in the game against the pups 2nd team.

McKinley was up on Jackson 35-17 with just seconds left in the game and Jackson had the ball on the 50 yard line and threw a hail mary AND SCORED A TD as time ran out to make the game look closer than it was.

These two teams are not evenly matched.McKinley is 10 points better.But that doesn't matter in this game.
Old 10-21-17, 09:23 AM
All American

falguin is on a distinguished road
I have only seen clips of both teams, so it's hard to tell. But I don't think McK is playing as well as they were. I am also a little upset with them for losing. I thought they has this game in the bag. Now it will take a miracle to get my Falcons in.
Old 10-21-17, 09:31 AM
All World

Spize is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Keith would have probably won a state title in Massillon.

Also, Keith runs a straight ship, so Massillon wouldn't have had all the OHSAA trouble.

Reardon would be as much of a dumpster fire, well on the field, as Moore at Massillon. So Dan was VERY smart to take the McK job.

BTW, BJ Payne will never be the coach of Massillon for the same reason Keith Wakefield never got a fair shot... They are solid football guys who wouldn't tolerate DA KLUB and their meddling. They'd also kick the star player off the team without a question if they pulled the they pull at Massillon now and get away with it. Also, neither would let DA KLUB bully them into bringing a thug back onto the team after they'd been kicked off.
Old 10-21-17, 09:48 AM
All World

For the first time in my life, I'm actually picking McK to win this game.

Massillon's only hope is the rivalry factor. McK is 3-4 tds better on paper, McK has a better overall coaching staff, McK's players have bought in to their team and system while Massillon doesn't have a cohesive strategy or locker-room.

Both teams are lacking leadership on the field and the locker-room. However the leadership edge still has to favor McK as Reardon knows how to lead, and Moore either doesn't know how, or just doesn't do it.

Both lost this week, so the rebound factor goes both ways. Other than that, Massillon needs this more to get a home game and not have to potentially travel to a Columbus city league school week 1. (Remember when we pissed and moaned about having to play at Hoover?) While McK has the motivation to want a home game their first year in Benson. I give that edge to Massillon.

That's my take, feel free to rip me apart for it.
Old 10-21-17, 10:53 AM
All World

Flood is on a distinguished road
Teams can get significantly better or worse each week in the game of football. To consider scores from weeks 2 and 3 of the season shows gross naivete. Mck is not the same team they were 8 weeks ago, nor is Massillon or anyone else for that matter.
Old 10-21-17, 11:05 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
Teams can get significantly better or worse each week in the game of football. To consider scores from weeks 2 and 3 of the season shows gross naivete. Mck is not the same team they were 8 weeks ago, nor is Massillon or anyone else for that matter.
I have to disagree, McK has been fairly consistent. Average defense and great offense.

"But they only scored 20 against Perry"

Perry has a very good defense that is averaging only 13 points allowed. That was also the least McK has score this season, which BTW Perry has done to 4 opponents this season.
Old 10-21-17, 11:09 AM
Varsity

x8xohiolegendx7x is on a distinguished road
Not seeing either team But looking around at scores. I say mass winning by 24-28
Old 10-21-17, 11:12 AM
All American

my2sense is on a distinguished road
I expect the same as always in this game. The team that controls their emotions, controls the LOS and has the least turnovers will win. Some kid who has been a role player or seen limited action will make a big play.

McK hasn't played well for 3 weeks. Maybe Watson and Chandler provide a much needed spark to reboot their offense. That is if the center can execute the snap in the shotgun.
Old 10-21-17, 11:45 AM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spize View Post
McK is 3-4 tds better on paper, McK has a better overall coaching staff
Let's see, on Defense Massillon has

Craig McConnell - DC/OLB
JP Simon - DL
Spencer Leno - ILB
Terrance Roddy - CB
Dan Hackenbracht -S

On Offense

Dave Weber - RB
Eric Copeland - FB
Jason Jarvis - RB/ STC

I've heard for years how "Massillon guys wouldn't let this kind of stuff go on here."

Your ENTIRE defensive staff are Massillon guys, you have a total of 8 Massillon guys on this staff.

Now what?
Old 10-21-17, 12:16 PM
All Ohio

Scipio is on a distinguished road
Whats the recent history on the match-up...last four years?
Old 10-21-17, 12:29 PM
All Region

jtigerjoe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry1480 View Post
The Booster Klub would have thrown Wakefield out long ago like a baby with the bathwater.
You mean like you guys did?
Old 10-21-17, 12:37 PM
All Region

Quote:
For the first time in my life, I'm actually picking McK to win this game.

Massillon's only hope is the rivalry factor. McK is 3-4 tds better on paper, McK has a better overall coaching staff, McK's players have bought in to their team and system while Massillon doesn't have a cohesive strategy or locker-room.

Both teams are lacking leadership on the field and the locker-room. However the leadership edge still has to favor McK as Reardon knows how to lead, and Moore either doesn't know how, or just doesn't do it.

Both lost this week, so the rebound factor goes both ways. Other than that, Massillon needs this more to get a home game and not have to potentially travel to a Columbus city league school week 1. (Remember when we pissed and moaned about having to play at Hoover?) While McK has the motivation to want a home game their first year in Benson. I give that edge to Massillon.

That's my take, feel free to rip me apart for it.
You really don't have a clue. Yea, real leadership, taking a Massillon player who got thrown off the team. Moore also tossed Partridge off the team. He's at Glenoak now. Paper doesn't win football games. Our coach's are just fine. The Tigers are very young, and thin at some positions, but will do just fine. Why don't you move to Canton and root for the choirboys.
Old 10-21-17, 12:42 PM
All Region

Quote:
I have to disagree, McK has been fairly consistent. Average defense and great offense.

"But they only scored 20 against Perry"

Perry has a very good defense that is averaging only 13 points allowed. That was also the least McK has score this season, which BTW Perry has done to 4 opponents this season.
Gee, it's a shame everyone doesn't play a bunch of cakes, so they can brag about their defense. How many pts did they dominate Jax by? You see, it is usually all about match ups. Perry is always solid, so are the Pups. On paper, Mck was a heavy favorite, but what happened? Let's just play the game. Isn't it co-incidental that Mck and Perry have cousins on their teams. Wonder if both live in different communities? Game on
Old 10-21-17, 01:20 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio View Post
Whats the recent history on the match-up...last four years?
Doesn't matter in this one.
Old 10-21-17, 01:22 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam the butcher View Post
Doesn't matter in this one.
I hear ya'...just curious. I'll look it up.
Old 10-21-17, 01:25 PM
All Ohio

Found a great site with history. Well done.

https://cantonmckinley.com/mckinley-...sillon-history

Massillon has won 3 of last 4.
Massillon up 5-3 since 2010.
Old 10-21-17, 01:33 PM
All Yappi

6-4 Massillon
Old 10-21-17, 01:36 PM
All World

Quote:
Let's see, on Defense Massillon has

Craig McConnell - DC/OLB
JP Simon - DL
Spencer Leno - ILB
Terrance Roddy - CB
Dan Hackenbracht -S

On Offense

Dave Weber - RB
Eric Copeland - FB
Jason Jarvis - RB/ STC

I've heard for years how "Massillon guys wouldn't let this kind of stuff go on here."

Your ENTIRE defensive staff are Massillon guys, you have a total of 8 Massillon guys on this staff.

Now what?
Perhaps I should clarify staff and system installed with the kids bought in.

Some of these kids have run three different defenses under 3 different coordinators, so it's to be expected.
Old 10-21-17, 01:50 PM
All American

my2sense is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio View Post
Found a great site with history. Well done.

https://cantonmckinley.com/mckinley-...sillon-history

Massillon has won 3 of last 4.
Massillon up 5-3 since 2010.
Good info Scip. Thank you. That is a great site.
Old 10-21-17, 01:57 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtigerjoe View Post
Gee, it's a shame everyone doesn't play a bunch of cakes, so they can brag about their defense. How many pts did they dominate Jax by? You see, it is usually all about match ups. Perry is always solid, so are the Pups. On paper, Mck was a heavy favorite, but what happened? Let's just play the game. Isn't it co-incidental that Mck and Perry have cousins on their teams. Wonder if both live in different communities? Game on
On paper you'd see Perry has a really good defense and the teams match up well. I said a dozen times in the past week Perry could beat McK and the difference would be defense and discipline.

Perry beating McK was no surprise to me.

BTW, McK didn't play a bunch of cupcakes, especially in comparison to Massillon's schedule. The difference comes down to 7 games as two are like opponents and 1 is each other.

1. East coast defending state champs on both schedules, so that's a wash.

The rest:

Massillon: Mentor, StV, Ursuline, Bedford,Firestone, Fitch
Mck: Perry, Jackson, Hoover, Lake, Hudson

Ok, of those 10, Mentor is probably the best, but Hudson isn't as far off as you'd think. Mentor and Hudson have a shared opponent, while it's not a great measure they did both beat them by 2 touchdowns and similar scores (off by 1 td each)

I'll say that's 60-40 Mentor better, before you compare Hudson to Fitch, remember Hudson played Fitch and beat them 20-7

So let's compare a few bad teams. Lake, Firestone, Green, and Ursuline. Honesty, I'm not sure you could argue Firestone loses to Lake and Ursuline loses to Green, but that's like arguing over what turd smells better this year. Let's call it somewhat equal

So you're calling out McK's schedule on the basis of thinking Bedford, StV, Fitch is tougher than Perry, Jackson, Hoover?

I mean, these schedules are not terribly far apart, so calling out McK as having a cupcake schedule vs Massillon's is pretty lame.

I'd personally say McK's is a little tougher, but even if you consider them equal (which I don't see how you call Massillon's tougher) I need to point out that McK's defense gave up 156, and Massillon's gave up 235.
Old 10-21-17, 02:02 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
Perhaps I should clarify staff and system installed with the kids bought in.

Some of these kids have run three different defenses under 3 different coordinators, so it's to be expected.

Where was this patience and understanding attitude when Massillon went from Durban in 13 to Montgomery in 14 to Cupps in 15?
Old 10-21-17, 02:11 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtigerjoe View Post
BTW... why are you calling our McK's defense holding Jackson to 23 when Jackson is averaging over 34?

Not to mention... 6 of those points were a garbage time hail mary at the end of the game.

Look, I don't like McK and I hope the Tigers beat the snot out of the pups next saturday, but nonsense like this doesn't make that any more likely.
Old 10-21-17, 02:22 PM
All World

Quote:
Where was this patience and understanding attitude when Massillon went from Durban in 13 to Montgomery in 14 to Cupps in 15?
It's a lot more complicated than that, and you know it. Cupps was here two years despite his first year being the all-time record most points allowed in Massillon History. Not sure how impatient that is.

Also, not sure anyone was impatient with Durban or Montgomery. Durban left for a better job if I'm not mistaken and Montgomery really only had one year and was caught up in Hall being let go and Moore not wanting to keep him.

Honestly I've said a few times Moore should have probably kept Montgomery and not gone with Cupps, but not my decision obviously and it was with the benefit of hindsight. Montgomery's constant soft zone defenses and playing 10+ yards off the line every play wasn't my favorite strategy, so no I can't say I was impressed by him.

As far as patience, yes I'll give it patience right now because if you saw Cupps defense the past couple years you'd know that isn't getting fixed in a game or two.

BTW, I do like all the Massillon guys on the staff, I think it helps. Does it answer the call for Massillon guys? NO. The head man is still a journeyman renter that has no roots and doesn't appear to want to plant any roots here in Massillon.

Massillon has always been built on pride and the belief that being Massillon means more than just a dot on the map. I'm not sure how you teach that to the person who is supposed to be doing the teaching.
Closed Thread