Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-09-17, 12:19 PM
All Region

Blazer is on a distinguished road
Not trying to argue, just trying to get justification for the USC call for "baiting". The reason wrestler A dropped to his knees was to getting the locking hands call. It was intentional. He was looking for the 1 pt.
Old 02-10-17, 01:17 AM
Varsity

RandyLoathsome is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Behrens View Post
I guess I would ask if wrestlers are generally trained to get to their feet or to drop back to the mat? Most situations, the defensive man is better on his feet. With that in mind, other than to draw a call, what reason would he have to drop to a knee?
Heck, I have seen situations where the defensive wrestler was holding the offensive man's hands in such a way as to draw a clasping call.
Should this be considered as acceptable?
Actually this is kind of covered by Rule 7-4-2 and has been reinforced by rules updates from the State Rules Interpreters.
That was actually an old school escape move. You would drop to one knee, grab your opponent's hands, then, as your opponent tries to unclasp his hands (to avoid the locking hands call), you would use his own momentum to pull his hands apart, while doing a stand up for your escape (you already have one knee up, all you have to do is arch back into him).

I am not sure how you would call that as a ref. It's not as blatant as the example of the guy looking up at the ref, begging for a locking hands call. But you are intentionally dropping to a knee in order to use the locking hands call to your advantage
Old 02-10-17, 08:11 AM
All American

eyes r burning is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyLoathsome View Post
That was actually an old school escape move. You would drop to one knee, grab your opponent's hands, then, as your opponent tries to unclasp his hands (to avoid the locking hands call), you would use his own momentum to pull his hands apart, while doing a stand up for your escape (you already have one knee up, all you have to do is arch back into him).

I am not sure how you would call that as a ref. It's not as blatant as the example of the guy looking up at the ref, begging for a locking hands call. But you are intentionally dropping to a knee in order to use the locking hands call to your advantage
This whole scenario is the reason for reaction time. I get a chuckle every time I hear a coach yell for locking hands as soon as the wrestlers hit the mat.

I saw something similar last week with the merkle situation. Two kids were fighting for positon in a merkle like position. One of the wrestlers gets his upper body behind the other man's and locks around the body. The official hesitated a second or two to make sure control was there, he awards the points and shouts to the wrestlers that "green" secured a takedown. Time runs out immediately after the points were awarded and the one coach came unglued that the official didn't award a point for locking hands. We are talking 3-4 seconds from the time the man locked around the body to the awarding of points and maybe an additional second for time to run out. I thought it was a standard call for the official who got it 100% right, but the coach, did not.
Old 02-10-17, 08:45 AM
All Ohio

Jim Behrens is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyLoathsome View Post

The difference is what is called reaction time. Generally considered to be a second to a second and a half. After that, the locking hands call should be made.

BTW, I can almost assure you that the coach of the "offended" wrestler will think there is a clasping call to be made in your example.

An important thing to remember is that going TO the mat, there is reaction time allowed. Coming up FROM the mat, there is no reaction time allowed.
Old 02-10-17, 01:04 PM
All Region

dion is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The difference is what is called reaction time. Generally considered to be a second to a second and a half. After that, the locking hands call should be made.

BTW, I can almost assure you that the coach of the "offended" wrestler will think there is a clasping call to be made in your example.

An important thing to remember is that going TO the mat, there is reaction time allowed. Coming up FROM the mat, there is no reaction time allowed.
Speaking of reaction time, when there is still no control and one wrestler is behind the other trying to take him to the mat, how much time is required for the posting of a hand on the mat to be considered "beyond reaction time" and thus be awarded the takedown?
Old 02-10-17, 01:27 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dion View Post
Speaking of reaction time, when there is still no control and one wrestler is behind the other trying to take him to the mat, how much time is required for the posting of a hand on the mat to be considered "beyond reaction time" and thus be awarded the takedown?
Not much different at all from what is posted above. It is very much a "feel" more than a hard and fast number. People like numbers but we are just given a "guide" as to what is meant.

In NCAA competition, in your scenario, there is no reaction time. You will often see the official reach toward the mat with a flat palm indicating that is why a TD was awarded.

In HS it is a lot different. Better to be late with a TD call than to be early and wrong on it. Does the wrestler have control AND does he know he has control?

EVERY single official has been faked out by a kid that meets the criteria for control and then throws it away just as fast. Sometimes it is best to wave it off. Other times you are confident that "control" was established but it went away just as fast.

If you have that happen in a match, the official needs to be more patient the next time and keep his hands at his side until control is there and isn't going away.

Fans have a different outlook, of course!
Hope that helps.
Old 02-11-17, 09:31 AM
Unbias Nation

wjjsj is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
Not trying to argue, just trying to get justification for the USC call for "baiting". The reason wrestler A dropped to his knees was to getting the locking hands call. It was intentional. He was looking for the 1 pt.
That is the definition of baiting what you typed. It is baiting the ref to get the locking hands call. That is USC.
Old 02-11-17, 09:44 AM
Freshman

Zonkerk is on a distinguished road
Crossing straps?

What is the current status of crossing headgear straps on headgear without taping. Or using a manufacturers crossing pad?
Old 02-11-17, 10:57 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonkerk View Post
What is the current status of crossing headgear straps on headgear without taping. Or using a manufacturers crossing pad?
It is my understanding that as long as no taped is involved your examples would not be a technical violation.
Old 02-17-17, 10:11 AM
Varsity

TKrebs is on a distinguished road
Question: 2 teams have a dual meet scheduled and before the meet begins both coaches agree to have an "exhibition match" to get a freshman some mat time. Team A has the freshman and is a weight class heavier than Team B wrestler. Team B wrestler wins by pin in first period easily.
The dual meet then begins at the weight class above Team B wrestler. The meet cycles through and when it comes back around...Team B walks out the very same wrestler that wrestled earlier but Team A protests to the ref that he can't wrestle because he did an "exhibition match" earlier. Ref agrees and by the way Team A wins by 3 points due to that very same forfeit.
I've never heard of anything like this...
Old 02-17-17, 10:27 AM
Varsity

Nevermind...I found the answer.
Team B shouldn't have fallen for it but Team A was shady in asking for the exhibition match since the wrestler in question is the best on team B.

Bad sportsmanship on behalf of the coach for Team A.
Old 02-17-17, 11:44 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKrebs View Post
Nevermind...I found the answer.
Team B shouldn't have fallen for it but Team A was shady in asking for the exhibition match since the wrestler in question is the best on team B.

Bad sportsmanship on behalf of the coach for Team A.
You should also be aware that "exhibition" matches are not permitted by rule. If someone is hurt during a match that is not permitted, there would be all kinds of liability to go around. Coaches should always be aware of that.
Old 02-17-17, 11:50 AM
All Region

Quote:
You should also be aware that "exhibition" matches are not permitted by rule. If someone is hurt during a match that is not permitted, there would be all kinds of liability to go around. Coaches should always be aware of that.
A good rule of thumb: When the coaches use the term "exhibition" match, very simply correct them using the term "jv match". Then all is good.
Old 02-17-17, 12:19 PM
Varsity

The wrestler in question is a 2X SQ. I don't know all the details as I was in the stands and don't have a dog in the race but the parents weren't happy.
Old 02-17-17, 02:00 PM
All Ohio

suplex21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKrebs View Post
Question: 2 teams have a dual meet scheduled and before the meet begins both coaches agree to have an "exhibition match" to get a freshman some mat time. Team A has the freshman and is a weight class heavier than Team B wrestler. Team B wrestler wins by pin in first period easily.
The dual meet then begins at the weight class above Team B wrestler. The meet cycles through and when it comes back around...Team B walks out the very same wrestler that wrestled earlier but Team A protests to the ref that he can't wrestle because he did an "exhibition match" earlier. Ref agrees and by the way Team A wins by 3 points due to that very same forfeit.
I've never heard of anything like this...
That loss falls squarely on the shoulders of Coach B. Team A did nothing wrong. 1 Simple word avoids all of this (no). If you are wrestling a dual you can not have a kid wrestle JV and Varsity, every coach should know that.
TKREBS you can call A shady or try to deflect blame, but the fact is Coach B chose to wrestle the kid in a jv match, its his fault alone that he did not know a kid couldn't wrestle jv and varsity in the same night.
Old 02-17-17, 03:09 PM
All Ohio

The above is not correct.
This happened in our area probably 10 years ago or so when a situation arose where one wrestler was doing a JV match and then a Varsity match.
I questioned my local interpreter about it because I thought it was permitted as long as the 45 minute recovery period was adhered to. He agreed that is the way we have been told to look at the situation.
FYI, the (X) below is where the name of that official was but this is his direct quote otherwise.
BTW I am not looking for a fight on this, just stating what we were told. Unless I am told otherwise, this is the way I would rule on it.

"OHSAA confirmation when (X) messed up at Berkshire years ago. There is nothing in the Rules Book that states that it cannot be done, JV and Var matches at the same event, so long as 45 minutes is adhered to."
Old 02-17-17, 03:11 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
A good rule of thumb: When the coaches use the term "exhibition" match, very simply correct them using the term "jv match". Then all is good.
LOL, I do. You are preaching to the choir. However if they insist on using that term then I am not doing the match.
Old 02-17-17, 03:21 PM
All Ohio

suplex21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The above is not correct.
This happened in our area probably 10 years ago or so when a situation arose where one wrestler was doing a JV match and then a Varsity match.
I questioned my local interpreter about it because I thought it was permitted as long as the 45 minute recovery period was adhered to. He agreed that is the way we have been told to look at the situation.
FYI, the (X) below is where the name of that official was but this is his direct quote otherwise.
BTW I am not looking for a fight on this, just stating what we were told. Unless I am told otherwise, this is the way I would rule on it.

"OHSAA confirmation when (X) messed up at Berkshire years ago. There is nothing in the Rules Book that states that it cannot be done, JV and Var matches at the same event, so long as 45 minutes is adhered to."
Well I think the problem would come in with the 1/2 dual meet. If the meet is a dual meet that is one match. If it is 2 matches it is 1 point. The event can not be 1/2 point for 1 team and 1 point for the other. Therefore if he wrestles 2 matches it is a 1 point event for all. 10 years ago a kid could wrestle 2 matches for the same amount of points as 1 match. That is not the case now. If it is a dual that is 1 match. If it is a double dual that is 2 matches.
Old 02-19-17, 09:44 PM
All World

jmog is on a distinguished road
I guess more of a comment than question (sure I may ask a question at the end).

Nelsonville OAC JH district. Championship match, so not 5/6 year old open tournament.

Top kid is riding leg and locks in a figure 4 on one leg and drives/hips over for a ladle. Just as bottom kid is turning referee stops it calling an illegal move on top kid.

His explanation was that at his last OHSAA district meeting they told him all figure 4s were illegal. I made the argument that the body and head are illegal but a single leg is perfectly legal and never has been illegal.

He was adamant, I asked him to ask for help from another referee. Not on what he saw but the rule.

Another ref definitely got the rule correctly and the match referee took the penalty point away and they restarted in referees position.

My question is how does a high school level referee not know that you can figure 4 a leg?

Also, if a referee makes such a terrible rule call (not judgement call, rule call) in the middle of near fall (no count because he called it illegal) is there anything that can be done to get at least 2 NF points that his mistake took away?

Same referee did not know a merkle position was a TD in the first period as well. That was at least forgivable because maybe he didn't think there was control (there was). But I seriously don't know how a referee that works for OSHAA and refs HS doesn't know a leg can be figure 4d.
Old 02-19-17, 10:16 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmog View Post
I guess more of a comment than question (sure I may ask a question at the end).

Nelsonville OAC JH district. Championship match, so not 5/6 year old open tournament.

Top kid is riding leg and locks in a figure 4 on one leg and drives/hips over for a ladle. Just as bottom kid is turning referee stops it calling an illegal move on top kid.

His explanation was that at his last OHSAA district meeting they told him all figure 4s were illegal. I made the argument that the body and head are illegal but a single leg is perfectly legal and never has been illegal.

He was adamant, I asked him to ask for help from another referee. Not on what he saw but the rule.

Another ref definitely got the rule correctly and the match referee took the penalty point away and they restarted in referees position.

My question is how does a high school level referee not know that you can figure 4 a leg?

Also, if a referee makes such a terrible rule call (not judgement call, rule call) in the middle of near fall (no count because he called it illegal) is there anything that can be done to get at least 2 NF points that his mistake took away?

Same referee did not know a merkle position was a TD in the first period as well. That was at least forgivable because maybe he didn't think there was control (there was). But I seriously don't know how a referee that works for OSHAA and refs HS doesn't know a leg can be figure 4d.
It's like anything in life. Some put the effort in and some do not. Some take to advice while others do not. I know this wasn't an OHSAA event, but OHSAA won't turn away someone wanting to officiate. Until they figure it out or get weeded out, not much will change.Some events will have issues and others will not.

Last edited by eyes r burning; 02-19-17 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-19-17, 10:23 PM
All World

jmog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyes r burning View Post
It's like anything in life. Some put the effort in and some do not. Some take to advice while others do not. I know this wasn't an OHSAA event, but OHSAA won't turn away someone wanting to officiate. Until they figure it out or get weeded out, not much will change.Some events will issues and others will not.
For whatever it's worth this isn't blaming a loss on a ref. The missed merkle was for wrestler A and the figure 4 miss call was for wrestler B. Terribly bad understanding of the rules.

I assume the obvious 2 or 3 NF that should have happened is long gone when a referee makes the wrong rule call?
Old 02-19-17, 10:30 PM
All American

Quote:
For whatever it's worth this isn't blaming a loss on a ref. The missed merkle was for wrestler A and the figure 4 miss call was for wrestler B. Terribly bad understanding of the rules.

I assume the obvious 2 or 3 NF that should have happened is long gone when a referee makes the wrong rule call?
I wouldn't be the one to ask, but I'd assume it would be gone.
Old 02-19-17, 11:40 PM
All Region

CoachHoversten is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Interesting question. As a "former" certified official, I should know this, but I'm not 100% confident in my answer. That said, here it is...

An official can not ASSUME near fall....you could argue your guy would have gotten NF while other coach can argue his guy may have rolled out of it before two count was completed. So if ref stops it before a count, even for misapplication, nothing can be done.

However, if a count was established...for example, "One, Two, Whistle", whistle bc when popping head up to check for legality or that nothing slipped (arm and head didn't become just head for ex)...doesn't award NF bc of figure 4. Discussion, gets call right, NF can be awarded bc the count happened with a (now) legal move.

Sorry if that didn't make sense
Old 03-05-17, 11:49 PM
Freshman

SOUPlex_ is on a distinguished road
Locking Hands question

Was wondering your opinion on a locking hands call that I witnessed at a District tournament. The referee called Locking hands and rewarded a point. Then the wrestler on bottom escapes as well. This added two points to the scoreboard for the wrestler that escaped. 15 seconds later, time expires and the referee waves off the locking hands call and the match goes into overtime... Thoughts?
Old 03-06-17, 09:04 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUPlex_ View Post
Was wondering your opinion on a locking hands call that I witnessed at a District tournament. The referee called Locking hands and rewarded a point. Then the wrestler on bottom escapes as well. This added two points to the scoreboard for the wrestler that escaped. 15 seconds later, time expires and the referee waves off the locking hands call and the match goes into overtime... Thoughts?
Was a reason given for waving off the locking of hands? Did he confer with his asst. and then change his call?
Old 03-06-17, 11:32 AM
Varsity

Cjlewis01 is on a distinguished road
I had a wrestler called for scissoring of the leg with excessive pressure while on top riding with a boot in... it was called an illegal move and his opponent was awarded a point. I've never heard of that. I was always under the impression you could get called for that while scissoring the midsection, but never heard it on the leg... thoughts?
Old 03-06-17, 01:10 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjlewis01 View Post
I had a wrestler called for scissoring of the leg with excessive pressure while on top riding with a boot in... it was called an illegal move and his opponent was awarded a point. I've never heard of that. I was always under the impression you could get called for that while scissoring the midsection, but never heard it on the leg... thoughts?
Two thoughts come to mind but, since I wasn't there, they are simply a guess.
1) The official felt there was unnecessary force applied or
2) what he saw was an over-scissors with pressure applied against the joint.
Either of these could warrant a penalty.
Old 03-06-17, 01:41 PM
Freshman

SOUPlex_ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Was a reason given for waving off the locking of hands? Did he confer with his asst. and then change his call?
Yes he conferred with his assistant. But the explanation was just that it was a mistake. I wasn't aware that locking hands was a wavable call however
Old 03-06-17, 03:35 PM
All Region

350zjk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUPlex_ View Post
Yes he conferred with his assistant. But the explanation was just that it was a mistake. I wasn't aware that locking hands was a wavable call however
Was officiating a mach a while back when the offensive wrestler had both arms around both legs of the defensive wrestler just above the ankles. As the offensive wrestler was trying to work up and the defensive wrestler was trying to kick out I thought I saw the hands overlap slightly. As I blew the whistle and made the sign for a TV I looked at my asst. who actually had a better view. After a short discussion I waved it off. That's why you have an asst. To get the call right.
Old 03-12-17, 08:47 PM
All Ohio

bluepride1990 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepride1990 View Post
I understand the 2nd ref is there to assist and identify any items that may not be in the vision of the main referee and then confer with the main ref at the appropriate time.

I saw this last night and several times in the past that while in a pinning combination the main ref is looking for the pin and is unable to observe where the hands or legs slide to take the hold from legal to illegal. Then after the head ref calls a pin the 2nd ref informs him of the violation and that negates the pin and backfall points are awarded and a technical violation point awarded and wrestling resumes.

Why since the illegal hold/action is potentially dangerous is the 2nd ref not authorized to stop the action that he knows the main ref clearly cannot see before a kid gets hurt.

If a kid is held in the illegal position while fighting the pin he is wasting energy and could be hurt seriously as it usually involves the head and neck.

Again not specifying the exact event but some may suspect the one I refer to and I do not think that incident changes the result of match or dual as it was an uphill battle anyways.

Just does not make sense that a wrestler can be held in a illegal position for extended time before action is stopped.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
From todays Columbus Dispatch.

Quote:
Scary moment

Marysville coach Shawn Andrews was not happy that the seventh-place match involving his wrestler Tyler Bates was not halted before the junior suffered a dislocated left elbow that led to a pin.

“Hopefully, there is no ligament damage,” Andrews said, before questioning why the assistant referee did not notice Bates had been put in a potentially dangerous situation in his 152-pound match against Tristan Brady of Elyria.

“You’ve got to get down and look at it. That’s your job,” Andrews said.

Bates was leading Brady 4-2 with 15 seconds left in the second period when the injury occurred. Brady quickly recorded the pin.
Wonder how many other injuries over the last three weeks could have been prevented if the assistant referee could stop the match? Because even if he had noticed the assistant could not do anything to stop match.

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk