Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-10-17, 09:47 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
It already has, it resulted in a National Championship.
Well, there it is.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-17, 11:35 AM
All District

nutsnbolts is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
It already has, it resulted in a National Championship.
After 3 quarters in 2014 OSU was up 28 - 21 vs tsun.
In the last quarter OSU outscored tsun 14 - 7.
The next 3 games were arguably 3 of the greatest games in OSU history.

I also believe they don't win the NC with Barrett as starter.

During interviews and while playing Barrett appears to have the personality of a pet rock.
He may be intelligent enough, he may be athletic enough, I just don't think he's passionate enough.

The OSU football culture seems to be more about fear of making a mistake rather than passion about doing something great.

And someone posted about the receivers coach - it would be nice to see the receivers totally commit to the play, and not just the route. If the route is defended, keep playing and get open!
Old 09-11-17, 12:57 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
I think most of the Barrett apologists have jumped ship. I admit I was slow to want him gone, but I was hardly an apologist. I'm firmly behind replacing him on this point. I saw a lot of blame to go to the receivers was my only reason for being so slow. With a new OC and no change, it's clear the problem wasn't up in the booth.
I plead guilty.

As for the routes, in the last couple of years they look like the 1st grade flag football routes I would tell the kids to run- go our 7 steps and turn round; 5 steps out then left; straight down 8 steps out and one step back...
Old 09-11-17, 01:06 PM
All American

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutsnbolts View Post
The OSU football culture seems to be more about fear of making a mistake rather than passion about doing something great.
Spot-on. This is not how Urban Meyer used to coach, idk what has changed.
Old 09-11-17, 01:22 PM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
The biggest embarrassment goes on the band, for not running over the flag planters. OK players lucky the tuba players didn't put on the smack down.

It lacked class but he did have a decent rationalization: spur of the moment with the thought of the OSU singing on their field. Not really equitable, better on him if he realized even after the fact that it was a wrong thing to do but can he come to that conclusion when it's going to make him hero back in Ok? More power to him if he does and makes the statement. That action set up a potentialy very inflammatory situation.
I would say the OSU football players should have stopped him but they couldn't that entire second half
Old 09-11-17, 01:50 PM
All American

They were already off the field or I'm sure there would have been a scuffle.
Old 09-11-17, 02:34 PM
All American

KingKong24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutsnbolts View Post
After 3 quarters in 2014 OSU was up 28 - 21 vs tsun.
In the last quarter OSU outscored tsun 14 - 7.
The next 3 games were arguably 3 of the greatest games in OSU history.

I also believe they don't win the NC with Barrett as starter.

During interviews and while playing Barrett appears to have the personality of a pet rock.
He may be intelligent enough, he may be athletic enough, I just don't think he's passionate enough.

And someone posted about the receivers coach - it would be nice to see the receivers totally commit to the play, and not just the route. If the route is defended, keep playing and get open!
They committed to running the ball with Zeke once JT got hurt and that helped open up the vertical passing game. It helped having Devin Smith, Michael Thomas, Jalen Marshall, guys that could actually get open and catch a football. Not seeing that from these receivers. Oh and not to mention they didn't have an offensive tackle that got smoked every passing play that year.

This year's secondary looks a lot like the 2013 version that couldn't cover anybody. This might be Urban's worst team at OSU. At least the 2012 team played with passion. Didn't see much of that Saturday night.
Old 09-11-17, 02:41 PM
All American

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
What got me was how open the playbook was Jones and the next year as Jones being the starter he called the game as if JT was the quarterback
Old 09-11-17, 03:09 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
They haven't recovered from losing Tom Herman
Old 09-11-17, 04:16 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Secondary not that bad linebackers are horrible.
Old 09-11-17, 05:08 PM
All Yappi

Yellow_Jacket06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Yellow_Jacket06 Send a message via Yahoo to Yellow_Jacket06
It's not like the secondary has been completely burned. They just need to turn their damn heads and find the ball. Often times they are in the right position but react to the receiver instead of the ball. Many catches have been made in both games with a DB basically all over the WR.
Old 09-11-17, 05:40 PM
All District

nutsnbolts is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKong24 View Post
They committed to running the ball with Zeke once JT got hurt and that helped open up the vertical passing game. It helped having Devin Smith, Michael Thomas, Jalen Marshall, guys that could actually get open and catch a football. Not seeing that from these receivers. Oh and not to mention they didn't have an offensive tackle that got smoked every passing play that year.
And what do the coaches see that prevents Dobbins and Weber from getting the opportunity Zeke had (and I know Weber isn't 100%)? And will we get to see if the current receivers can get to the level of those you mentioned?
34 rushes and 35 passes against OU - pretty darn balanced - except too many runs (more than half) for JT)
Indiana was a bit of a struggle against a pretty talented team. OU is VERY good and motivated. The next few weeks, seemingly against less competitive teams, will help tell the future of this group. If the offense doesn't start lighting up the scoreboard the next few weeks, it's going to be a LOOOONNNNG season.
Old 09-11-17, 07:17 PM
All American

It probably won't matter even if they do. Look at last year's blowouts against bad teams.
Old 09-11-17, 07:18 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider6309 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest
The biggest embarrassment goes on the band, for not running over the flag planters. OK players lucky the tuba players didn't put on the smack down.

It lacked class but he did have a decent rationalization: spur of the moment with the thought of the OSU singing on their field. Not really equitable, better on him if he realized even after the fact that it was a wrong thing to do but can he come to that conclusion when it's going to make him hero back in Ok? More power to him if he does and makes the statement. That action set up a potentialy very inflammatory situation.
I would say the OSU football players should have stopped him but they couldn't that entire second half
I see what you did there.

To the kid's credit, he in fact did after the fact say he wished he hadn't done it. Classy kid.
Old 09-11-17, 10:21 PM
Varsity

GreenBoy is on a distinguished road
The db's had NO IDEA where Mayfield was looking b/c they continued to show their backside to the QB. Use your eyes.
Old 09-12-17, 02:23 AM
All World

Gh0st is on a distinguished road
Plenty of DBs in the NFL that made him look pretty bad last year as well as other OSU defensive players that will remember the flag plant if he ever sees a snap in the NFL.
Old 09-12-17, 09:00 AM
Retired

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Who is the backup QB?
Old 09-12-17, 10:35 AM
All American

Taco MacArthur can only hope to improve
Haskins right now. Burrow when he's healthy.
Old 09-12-17, 11:44 AM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
This is Saban's post-Sugar Bowl loss to OSU press conference. Go to the 12:50 mark and listen to his comments about OSU's QB's and offense. Very telling.

When Jones had to play, you saw Tom Herman basically install an offense that Cardale could grasp and run with a short time to learn. The next season, Urban's hands were all over the offense again, and he tried to plug Cardale into his old, stale Tebow Florida offense with predictable poor results. Even when Herman was here and Braxton was QB, it was Urban's offense. Same thing last season. Same thing this season. Anyone who saw the Oklahoma and Indiana offenses that Kevin Wilson ran knows it's not being run at Ohio State. He is trying to do what he can with Urban's same old offense from decades ago now. Until Urban lets go, get used to this crap...and don't expect Wilson to stick around.
Old 09-12-17, 12:57 PM
All American

KingKong24 is on a distinguished road
The best their offense has looked against a good team was the 2014 Michigan State game when they scored touchdowns on like 6 straight possessions. It's a combination of everything. Play calling, no deep threats, pass protection, timing. I think at this point JT has very little confidence in himself. I saw a stat on ESPN's ticker last night saying he's 1 for 18 in his last four games on passes of 20 yards or more. Pressure's on him now more than ever.
Old 09-12-17, 07:25 PM
Varsity

GreenBoy is on a distinguished road
Really, whom?
Old 09-12-17, 07:29 PM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
This is Saban's post-Sugar Bowl loss to OSU press conference. Go to the 12:50 mark and listen to his comments about OSU's QB's and offense. Very telling.

When Jones had to play, you saw Tom Herman basically install an offense that Cardale could grasp and run with a short time to learn. The next season, Urban's hands were all over the offense again, and he tried to plug Cardale into his old, stale Tebow Florida offense with predictable poor results. Even when Herman was here and Braxton was QB, it was Urban's offense. Same thing last season. Same thing this season. Anyone who saw the Oklahoma and Indiana offenses that Kevin Wilson ran knows it's not being run at Ohio State. He is trying to do what he can with Urban's same old offense from decades ago now. Until Urban lets go, get used to this crap...and don't expect Wilson to stick around.
Good post cjb. I think you are spot on
Old 09-12-17, 07:38 PM
All American

As do I.
Old 09-13-17, 02:33 PM
All Yappi

Send a message via MSN to Yellow_Jacket06 Send a message via Yahoo to Yellow_Jacket06
The recruiting circus has been interesting to watch since the loss. Top recruits criticizing, others telling them to worry about their own teams instead of potentially alienating their future team.

Letting those stars go to their head. Probably not a good idea for HS players to publicly question players/coaches at the next level. (Even if they are right)
Old 09-13-17, 02:48 PM
All American

Jackson Carman in particular seems to be very immature. Responded to Herbstreit's criticism by saying he's sure he'd be welcome in Dabo Swinney/Clay Helton's locker room.

Micah Parsons was at least mature enough to apologize and admit he had posted it during the heat of the loss.

.... with that said, I clearly agree with both of them.
Old 09-13-17, 03:38 PM
All Yappi

I think Meyer needs to go singlewing T. He's got two good RBs and a QB who hesitates before the pass.
Old 09-13-17, 04:56 PM
All District

king kong is on a distinguished road
When Sagan made the comment that when Barrett was in the games throughout the season, their receivers didn't stand out as being very good! Cardales strong arm let them shine! That is the heart of the matter, JT never had a highly accurate arm or for that matter good accurate or strong arm!
Old 09-13-17, 06:30 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by king kong View Post
When Sagan made the comment that when Barrett was in the games throughout the season, their receivers didn't stand out as being very good! Cardales strong arm let them shine! That is the heart of the matter, JT never had a highly accurate arm or for that matter good accurate or strong arm!
Cardale's strong arm sure but I don't see any Devin Smith's in this WR corp. I've yet to see them run away from their man to get open deep. Of course that doesn't mean JT would actually hit them in stride if they did, I'm just saying.
Old 09-13-17, 07:10 PM
All Yappi

JT would miss them by 3 yards minimum
Old 09-13-17, 07:14 PM
All American

The receivers are fine IMO. I'dbet almost any school in the country would take them.