Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-21-14, 09:25 AM
toledodean toledodean is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-19-10
Posts: 689
toledodean is on a distinguished road
Brecksville Holiday Tournament 2014

Teams entered:

1. Ashland
2. Aurora
3. Bedford *
4. Bloom Carroll
5. Brecksville
6. Canfield *
7. Catholic Central (Gran Rapids, Michigan)
8. Centerville
9. Central Catholic
10. Clay
11. Clyde
12. Cuyahoga Hts.
13. CVCA *
14. Davison (Davison, Michigan)
15. Dayton Christian
16. Delta
17. Edison *
18. Elder
19. Elyria
20. Kettering Fairmont
21. Lake (Uniontown) *
22. Lake Catholic
23. Lakota East
24. LaSalle
25. Licking Valley *
26. Loveland
27. Madison
28. Manchester
29. Marysville
30. Mentor
31. Miami Trace
32. Mt. Vernon
33. Nelsonville-York
34. Nordonia
35. North Royalton
36. Northwest *
37. Olentangy Liberty
38. Padua
39. Perrysburg
40. St. Ignatius
41. St. Paul (Norwalk)
42. Shadyside *
43. Shawnee (Lima) *
44. Teays Valley
45. Tri-Valley (Dresden)
46. Wauseon
47. Woodridge
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 12-21-14, 10:19 AM
Thunder & Lightning Thunder & Lightning is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-12-14
Posts: 63
Thunder & Lightning is on a distinguished road
Intermat Press Release

The 54th edition of the nation's oldest continuous running "holiday" tournament returns to Brecksville-Broadview Heights High School on Monday, December 29 and Tuesday, December 30. It will be a milestone event, as a record 47 schools will assemble for this always excellent tournament. This field includes 18 programs from northeast Ohio battling it out with a diverse field of teams from across Ohio and two from the state of Michigan.

Featured in this field are 109 wrestlers that have previously appeared in a state wrestling tournament. This includes ten wrestlers that were state champions in 2014: Max Johnson and Lincoln Olson (Davison, Mich.); Devin Schroder, Foster Karmon, and Nate Limmex (Grand Rapids Catholic Central, Mich.); David Carr and Logan Lacure (Dayton Christian, Ohio); Richard Screptock (Oregon Clay); Nate Hagan (Toledo Central Catholic); and Kade Kowalski (Tri-Valley). Another five finished second in the state this past year: Hunter Bray (Dayton Christian), Tony Decesare (Padua), Josh Mossing (Toledo Central Catholic), Ben Darmstadt (Elyria), and Matt Stencel (Oregon Clay). In all 66 members of the field placed in the top eight of their state tournament bracket last year.

Seeking to win a third consecutive tournament title are the host Brecksville Bees, who enter the season ranked No. 40 in the nation according to InterMat. Coach Todd Haverdill's squad is led by three-time state placer Austin Assad, a Junior National freestyle champion last summer, who is ranked No. 4 nationally at 126 pounds. The Bees also return two additional state placers in Jarrod Bronstrup and Justin DeMicco, who both placed fifth this past year, along with 2013 state placer Sonny Lucas and returning state qualifier Austin Hiles.

Leading the pack of challengers is Delta, Ohio. The Panthers were runners-up at this tournament last year; ending the season with a repeat dual meet state title in Division III, along with their first individual tournament state title since 1999. They are led by a pair of defending tournament champions Drew Mattin and Jake Spiess, who both took third at the state tournament. Five other Delta wrestlers placed at state last season: Jesse Beverly finished third, Dustin Marteney and Devon Richards placed fifth, Ryan Patchin took sixth, while Chance Vellor earned seventh. An additional pair of Panthers qualified for state, Noah Mattin and Mark Francis.

The field also features a pair of squads which finished as individual state tournament runners-up last year, Perrysburg in Division I and Dayton Christian in Division III. Three teams in the field finished as runners-up in their state dual meet tournament: Brecksville (Division I), Dayton Christian, and Davison (Michigan D1). In all, fourteen squads in this field either finished inside the top ten of their individual state tournament standings and/or made it to the final eight of their dual meet state tournament.

On the individual side of things, five wrestlers will seek to repeat as champions in this year's edition of the Brecksville Individual Holiday Tournament (BIHT): Austin Assad, who seeks a third consecutive title; Drew Mattin (Delta); Jake Spiess (Delta); Wade Hodges (Wauseon); and Kade Kowalski (Tri-Valley). In addition, Richard Screptock (Oregon Clay) seeks to regain the title he won in December 2011. Seven additional wrestlers seek to move one step higher on the podium after finishing as runners-up last year: Lincoln Olson (Davison, MI), already a two-time runner-up; Hunter Bray (Dayton Christian); Mario Guillen (Perrysburg); Corey Shie (Cincinnati LaSalle); Austin Hiles (Brecksville); Sonny Lucas (Brecksville); and Matt Stencel (Oregon Clay).

The tournament is also one that always features elite wrestlers, this year being no exception with thirteen wrestlers appearing in the preseason national rankings according to InterMat. Drew Mattin (Delta) is ranked No. 9 at 106 pounds; Tommy Hoskins (Dayton Christian) is ranked No. 19 at 113; Devin Schroder Grand Rapids CC, MI) is ranked No. 14 at 120; Austin Assad (Brecksville) is ranked No. 4, Lincoln Olson (Davison, MI) No. 8, and Evan Cheek (Milan Edison) No. 19 at 126; Nate Limmex (Grand Rapids CC, MI) No. 7 and Richard Screptock (Oregon Clay) No. 18 at 138; Kade Kowalski (Tri-Valley) No. 18 at 152; Ben Darmstadt (Elyria) No. 15 at 182; Matt Stencel (Oregon Clay) No. 13 at 195; while Kevin Vough (Elyria) is No. 8 and Cale Bonner (Perrysburg) No. 12 at 285.

The BIHT would like to welcome all 47 teams to the event, in particular the seven teams making their overall debut in this event. Those include Bedford, Canfield, CVCA, Uniontown Lake, Lickng Valley, Canal Fulton Northwest, and Lima Shawnee. A cordial welcome back is also given to two squads returning back to the event after hiatus, Milan Edison and Shadyside.

Josh Lowe
InterMatWrestle.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-21-14, 10:36 AM
gotti544 gotti544 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-22-11
Posts: 514
gotti544 is on a distinguished road
I see with the addition of Canfield 126 just a got a whole lot tougher. Poullas knocks off Seipel from Graham, yesterday.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-21-14, 10:39 AM
Boro Fan Boro Fan is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-23-07
Location: Reminderville, Ohio
Posts: 9,577
Boro Fan is on a distinguished road
Looks like a few teams jumped ship from Medina to Brecksville, they just need to get MP and Eds, which going off history, may never happen.

Last edited by Boro Fan; 12-21-14 at 11:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-21-14, 11:03 AM
Panthers2win Panthers2win is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 12-09-12
Posts: 143
Panthers2win is on a distinguished road
Brecksville is ranked 38th and Delta is ranked 34th on intermat. I just looked it up there.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-21-14, 11:15 AM
Boro Fan Boro Fan is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-23-07
Location: Reminderville, Ohio
Posts: 9,577
Boro Fan is on a distinguished road
I plan on doing a breakdown for this and Medina on Monday or Tuesday, some weights may be off as some kids like to hit their lowest weight for this and Medina.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-21-14, 11:15 AM
Stinkykneepads Stinkykneepads is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 12-13-14
Posts: 41
Stinkykneepads is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know if brackets will be posted before the tourny
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-21-14, 11:17 AM
Boro Fan Boro Fan is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-23-07
Location: Reminderville, Ohio
Posts: 9,577
Boro Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkykneepads View Post
Does anyone know if brackets will be posted before the tourny
No, Seeds will be out but no brackets, brackets usually are never released before the tourney until after weigh-ins due to possible changes.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-21-14, 11:39 AM
bucksman bucksman is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-10-01
Location: Having fun somewhere :-)
Posts: 30,612
bucksman will become famous soon enough
The press release was based on pre-season rankings data.

Delta, Brecksville, and Elyria are now all Fab50 squads.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-21-14, 11:49 AM
Donkability Donkability is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 12-03-12
Posts: 916
Donkability is on a distinguished road
Since this is after Christmas there's a plus two pound allowance for those that already certified. Last year due to snow and somebody having a match on Saturday it was plus four. Please post if its any more then plus two as moving it to Monday from Sunday should eliminate anyone having a dual the day before.

If somebody decides to scratch here do they have to make the scratch weight day one then they get the plus two plus one (3 total) for weigh outs? Always wondered how many kids actually do this and if they get the two after scratching on day one.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-21-14, 12:10 PM
Blast82.5 Blast82.5 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-30-11
Posts: 396
Blast82.5 is on a distinguished road
If you make scratch weight on the first day of a tourney, you get the "full" allowance on the second day ... 2+1 = 3 in your example.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-21-14, 05:20 PM
USMCdevil2005 USMCdevil2005 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 01-08-12
Location: Columbus
Posts: 410
USMCdevil2005 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder & Lightning View Post
Intermat Press Release

The 54th edition of the nation's oldest continuous running "holiday" tournament returns to Brecksville-Broadview Heights High School on Monday, December 29 and Tuesday, December 30. It will be a milestone event, as a record 47 schools will assemble for this always excellent tournament. This field includes 18 programs from northeast Ohio battling it out with a diverse field of teams from across Ohio and two from the state of Michigan.

Featured in this field are 109 wrestlers that have previously appeared in a state wrestling tournament. This includes ten wrestlers that were state champions in 2014: Max Johnson and Lincoln Olson (Davison, Mich.); Devin Schroder, Foster Karmon, and Nate Limmex (Grand Rapids Catholic Central, Mich.); David Carr and Logan Lacure (Dayton Christian, Ohio); Richard Screptock (Oregon Clay); Nate Hagan (Toledo Central Catholic); and Kade Kowalski (Tri-Valley). Another five finished second in the state this past year: Hunter Bray (Dayton Christian), Tony Decesare (Padua), Josh Mossing (Toledo Central Catholic), Ben Darmstadt (Elyria), and Matt Stencel (Oregon Clay). In all 66 members of the field placed in the top eight of their state tournament bracket last year.

Seeking to win a third consecutive tournament title are the host Brecksville Bees, who enter the season ranked No. 40 in the nation according to InterMat. Coach Todd Haverdill's squad is led by three-time state placer Austin Assad, a Junior National freestyle champion last summer, who is ranked No. 4 nationally at 126 pounds. The Bees also return two additional state placers in Jarrod Bronstrup and Justin DeMicco, who both placed fifth this past year, along with 2013 state placer Sonny Lucas and returning state qualifier Austin Hiles.

Leading the pack of challengers is Delta, Ohio. The Panthers were runners-up at this tournament last year; ending the season with a repeat dual meet state title in Division III, along with their first individual tournament state title since 1999. They are led by a pair of defending tournament champions Drew Mattin and Jake Spiess, who both took third at the state tournament. Five other Delta wrestlers placed at state last season: Jesse Beverly finished third, Dustin Marteney and Devon Richards placed fifth, Ryan Patchin took sixth, while Chance Vellor earned seventh. An additional pair of Panthers qualified for state, Noah Mattin and Mark Francis.

The field also features a pair of squads which finished as individual state tournament runners-up last year, Perrysburg in Division I and Dayton Christian in Division III. Three teams in the field finished as runners-up in their state dual meet tournament: Brecksville (Division I), Dayton Christian, and Davison (Michigan D1). In all, fourteen squads in this field either finished inside the top ten of their individual state tournament standings and/or made it to the final eight of their dual meet state tournament.

On the individual side of things, five wrestlers will seek to repeat as champions in this year's edition of the Brecksville Individual Holiday Tournament (BIHT): Austin Assad, who seeks a third consecutive title; Drew Mattin (Delta); Jake Spiess (Delta); Wade Hodges (Wauseon); and Kade Kowalski (Tri-Valley). In addition, Richard Screptock (Oregon Clay) seeks to regain the title he won in December 2011. Seven additional wrestlers seek to move one step higher on the podium after finishing as runners-up last year: Lincoln Olson (Davison, MI), already a two-time runner-up; Hunter Bray (Dayton Christian); Mario Guillen (Perrysburg); Corey Shie (Cincinnati LaSalle); Austin Hiles (Brecksville); Sonny Lucas (Brecksville); and Matt Stencel (Oregon Clay).

The tournament is also one that always features elite wrestlers, this year being no exception with thirteen wrestlers appearing in the preseason national rankings according to InterMat. Drew Mattin (Delta) is ranked No. 9 at 106 pounds; Tommy Hoskins (Dayton Christian) is ranked No. 19 at 113; Devin Schroder Grand Rapids CC, MI) is ranked No. 14 at 120; Austin Assad (Brecksville) is ranked No. 4, Lincoln Olson (Davison, MI) No. 8, and Evan Cheek (Milan Edison) No. 19 at 126; Nate Limmex (Grand Rapids CC, MI) No. 7 and Richard Screptock (Oregon Clay) No. 18 at 138; Kade Kowalski (Tri-Valley) No. 18 at 152; Ben Darmstadt (Elyria) No. 15 at 182; Matt Stencel (Oregon Clay) No. 13 at 195; while Kevin Vough (Elyria) is No. 8 and Cale Bonner (Perrysburg) No. 12 at 285.

The BIHT would like to welcome all 47 teams to the event, in particular the seven teams making their overall debut in this event. Those include Bedford, Canfield, CVCA, Uniontown Lake, Lickng Valley, Canal Fulton Northwest, and Lima Shawnee. A cordial welcome back is also given to two squads returning back to the event after hiatus, Milan Edison and Shadyside.

Josh Lowe
InterMatWrestle.com
Actually I thought North Canton was because this was their 55th one. So I'm not sure if you're correct on that one.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-21-14, 05:54 PM
iGranby iGranby is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-05-10
Posts: 155
iGranby is on a distinguished road
Judging by his preformance at SWOWCA, watch out for Jake Marsh (Marysville) as a freshman bracket buster at 126. Tough weight.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-21-14, 08:06 PM
OCEagle OCEagle is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 01-18-12
Posts: 1,391
OCEagle is on a distinguished road
Missed this last year - not going to miss it this year. This may be the toughest tournament in a long time with the talent in this field.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-21-14, 08:16 PM
Donkability Donkability is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 12-03-12
Posts: 916
Donkability is on a distinguished road
brecksville oldest holiday tourny, north canton was last weekend not exactly holiday. IMO holiday is over christmas break, even know break actually started for most schools not sure that counts.

We may have a competition of "holiday" tournys on our hands (o:
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-21-14, 08:39 PM
Thunder & Lightning Thunder & Lightning is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-12-14
Posts: 63
Thunder & Lightning is on a distinguished road
I think the emphasis may be "oldest continuous running "holiday" tournament." Not sure if North Canton's ran for 55 consecutive years. Either way, two long standing good tournaments. Certainly looking forward to the Brecksville Tourney and its competition.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-21-14, 10:14 PM
Boro Fan Boro Fan is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-23-07
Location: Reminderville, Ohio
Posts: 9,577
Boro Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGranby View Post
Judging by his preformance at SWOWCA, watch out for Jake Marsh (Marysville) as a freshman bracket buster at 126. Tough weight.
Not to be harsh, as I have Marsh in my Top 15, but he got teched by Mario Guillen at Ironman
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-21-14, 10:37 PM
USMCdevil2005 USMCdevil2005 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 01-08-12
Location: Columbus
Posts: 410
USMCdevil2005 is on a distinguished road
Yes. Love both tourneys I was just wanting to get to the bottom of this lol
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-21-14, 11:14 PM
Wads_Larry Wads_Larry is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-28-10
Posts: 1,011
Wads_Larry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCdevil2005 View Post
Yes. Love both tourneys I was just wanting to get to the bottom of this lol
I don't think we have
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-21-14, 11:28 PM
bucksman bucksman is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-10-01
Location: Having fun somewhere :-)
Posts: 30,612
bucksman will become famous soon enough
definition used in release is for event kept b/n Christmas and New Year's Day.

But that's besides the point, onto the field of teams & wrestlers.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-21-14, 11:45 PM
Bigpapi5 Bigpapi5 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 09-01-13
Posts: 42
Bigpapi5 is on a distinguished road
When will seeds be released?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-22-14, 12:02 AM
Boro Fan Boro Fan is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-23-07
Location: Reminderville, Ohio
Posts: 9,577
Boro Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigpapi5 View Post
When will seeds be released?
Usually on the 27th
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-22-14, 12:06 AM
iGranby iGranby is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-05-10
Posts: 155
iGranby is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro Fan View Post
Not to be harsh, as I have Marsh in my Top 15, but he got teched by Mario Guillen at Ironman
Youre not being harsh at all, I understand. Im just judging by the most recent results, and the Teams track record for improvement.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-22-14, 09:11 AM
Switch_106 Switch_106 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 02-05-14
Posts: 34
Switch_106 is on a distinguished road
Will the the transfers from Dayton Christian be back for this??
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-22-14, 09:15 AM
Boro Fan Boro Fan is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-23-07
Location: Reminderville, Ohio
Posts: 9,577
Boro Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch_106 View Post
Will the the transfers from Dayton Christian be back for this??
I would guess no
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-22-14, 10:03 AM
Dad4Sports Dad4Sports is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-10-08
Posts: 2,067
Dad4Sports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkability View Post

If somebody decides to scratch here do they have to make the scratch weight day one then they get the plus two plus one (3 total) for weigh outs? Always wondered how many kids actually do this and if they get the two after scratching on day one.
I think quite a few wrestlers do this...
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-22-14, 11:27 AM
Bigpapi5 Bigpapi5 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 09-01-13
Posts: 42
Bigpapi5 is on a distinguished road
Borofan, are you going to do a breakdown?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-22-14, 11:43 AM
cruiser_96 cruiser_96 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-05-08
Posts: 3,727
cruiser_96 is on a distinguished road
Breakdown - go ahead and give it to me. Breakdown, honey take me through the night...
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-22-14, 11:56 AM
TakeDown77 TakeDown77 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-15-13
Posts: 240
TakeDown77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser_96 View Post
Breakdown - go ahead and give it to me. Breakdown, honey take me through the night...
It's allright..........
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-22-14, 12:51 PM
Divided42 Divided42 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 02-24-09
Posts: 975
Divided42 is on a distinguished road
As for the 2 Michigan teams Grand Rapids Catholic Central brings in 2 national top 10 ranked kids in junior Devin Schroder at 120, a 2 time state champ, and senior Nate Limmex at 138, also a 2 time state champ. They also have a returning state champ at 145 and a solid upperweight at either 182 or 195 who is a returning state 3rd placer.

Davison Mi is down quite a bit this year after graduating a big senior class but their 2 best are returning state champs Max Johnson at 120 and Lincoln Olsen at either 132 or 138.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz