Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-22-17, 08:18 AM
All Region

James x2 is on a distinguished road
Everybody getting excited for Friday only Playoffs?

Between this and Spectrum only cable broadcasts this puts a dull thud to what was an exciting season so far.Like the circus clown that points a gun at you and the BANG FLAG pops out.Rim shot....I personally went to games both nights.How could this not cause hardships for Parents and family of players,coaches,etc.Shortage of referees,volunteers,and host sites.None of this makes sense.Anyone not retired,or personally wealthy cant see either the same number of games or watch their team play on the road.Ex....Euclid could play at Canton against the Dogs on a Friday instead of the traditional Sat. Div 1.game.I work till 5.You are not getting home and speed rushing from home to Canton in time.The rest of the world is out partying too.So after next week the playoffs start and my season that I wait all year for is done.Cant watch on my U-verse cable and cant get there in person.Im just one guy and I have to believe many many others feel the same way.Does anyone think the OHSAA will see this idea flop and go back to the Fri.,Sat, games? I love watching all the divisions in the playoffs.Going to new venues and seeing teams never before seen.Who the $#ck runs this show and who proposed this idea.Who said......Hey..yea..!!!! THATS A GREAT IDEA!!!!! Lets DO THAT THIS YEAR!!!!

Last edited by James x2; 10-22-17 at 08:26 AM. Reason: add to post
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-17, 08:26 AM
All World

queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
What was the stated reason for the change?
Old 10-22-17, 08:28 AM
All Region

Purplesage is on a distinguished road
This pisses me off to no end!!! Screw you OHSAA!!! I could care less about college football and have attended many Saturday games as it allows me travel time to far away places that fridays don't!!!!! Bite the hand that feeds you and all you care about is money anyway and this is just another "bad" move on their part!!!!!!! Damn it!!!!!!
Old 10-22-17, 08:36 AM
All District

bsee54321 is on a distinguished road
The OHSAA has blamed College Football for the reason in attendance decrease. I predict this year will be the lowest attendance for the playoffs the OHSAA has seen. The casual fan is being taken out of mix. The OHSAA will have nobody to blame but themselves. As for the move back to Canton; it will be interesting to see how the new parking and food prices will be liked. The Stadium has to pay for the expenses somehow.
Old 10-22-17, 08:58 AM
All American

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
Heard a rumor that OHSAA was having a hard time finding schools willing to do Saturday games. I am sure it is hard to find the school in the right area with the right size willing to do a game at times. I am going to miss Saturday games during the playoffs. Gave me more choices of games to go to and there were the times I went to both Friday and Saturday games. High School football is the best football played and I am a old retired man that just loves the game.
Old 10-22-17, 09:14 AM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Everybody getting excited for Friday only Playoffs?

Great posts all around. I agree completely. It's dampened my interest big time. If I can't go to other games because mentor plays the same night plus can't see them on tv .... then why should I follow other divisions?

No point in following the season if you can't see the final results in the playoffs in the various divisions

You can see the difference even on yappi. Far less interest this year all around it seems. A lot of regulars gone. I've rarely posted other than in relation to mentor in some way

Hoping the attendance is bad along with the tv ratings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-17, 09:35 AM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Mentor me too I lov e to see mentor play can't now.
Old 10-22-17, 10:10 AM
Fan of Eagle

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
I usually see the logic in OHSAA decisions, but agree that a drop in overall attendance is likely with this format. Perhaps the underestimated the number of people going both nights, and overestimated the number of fans not going to Saturday games in favor of college games or whatever.
Old 10-22-17, 10:12 AM
Fan of Eagle

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Mentor fans may be free to attend any game starting week 12.
Old 10-22-17, 10:26 AM
All Region

ICBM is on a distinguished road
I was always happy to have Saturday playoff game for teams I follow. It's often an hours drive to most any site and with a job that kept working til 6:30, it was hard to get to a Friday game.
And if, as mentioned above, that it was difficult finding venues for Saturday, well too bad. My job gets difficult too. That's why they call it work. Get it done.
Old 10-22-17, 10:33 AM
All Yappi

The Butler is on a distinguished road
Tim Stried from OHSAA spoke about this during an interview on WHBC yesterday.

https://soundcloud.com/user-19256965...isanos-podcast

Fast forward to 45:35 to hear the entire interview. FF to 52:20 to hear the discussion of the move to Friday only playoffs.
Old 10-22-17, 10:36 AM
All Yappi

LICKING COUNTY FAN is on a distinguished road
I was peed off bigtime about this, but thinking things through, it just gives me a chance to catch some Saturday double headers in PA.

I hope this turns out to be a major
catastrophe for the OHSAA.
Old 10-22-17, 10:40 AM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Mentor fans may be free to attend any game starting week 12.

Maybe this year but not in our good years. And I still like to see both D1 and d2 same week I'd rather see d2 locals than privates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-17, 11:00 AM
All Ohio

dograt is on a distinguished road
Everyone here seems to approach this from the view of the fan.
What is the view from the school/team?
I'm not saying it's different or better, or that I know what it is.
Just saying "this is dumb cause I can't watch as many games and the OHSAA will get less money!" means nothing to me if the schools want to play on Friday.
The OHSAA should serve the schools and not the fans.

Now, if you want to tell me all the reasons schools should want Saturdays, fine. I'm not even saying they do or don't. Just everyone's arguements so far have been about the fans.
Old 10-22-17, 11:08 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dograt View Post
Just saying "this is dumb cause I can't watch as many games and the OHSAA will get less money!" means nothing to me if the schools want to play on Friday.

Now, if you want to tell me all the reasons schools should want Saturdays, fine. I'm not even saying they do or don't. Just everyone's arguments so far have been about the fans.
I posted this one another thread on this topic.I spoke to two coaching friends of mine. One a head coach and he said he, not any of his staff or any coaches in his area was contacted by the OHSAA on this topic and he hated the Friday only playoff games. The other coach is an ast,and he said he was not contacted either and was not sure if his head coach was, He did say that they knew of this before it happened but did not go in detail.
Old 10-22-17, 11:20 AM
All American

Myron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I usually see the logic in OHSAA decisions, but agree that a drop in overall attendance is likely with this format. Perhaps the underestimated the number of people going both nights, and overestimated the number of fans not going to Saturday games in favor of college games or whatever.
That tends to be my prediction, too.
Old 10-22-17, 12:06 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
I don't like it. I really enjoyed having weekends of good HS playoff football. Now it's just one night. Throw in that college football has been unusually boring this year makes it that much worse.
Old 10-22-17, 12:21 PM
All Ohio

bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
I agree with you guys about having the ability to see a playoff game on Friday, and then another 1 on Saturday. That was awesome. I don't even live in Ohio, and I came both days. I was very disappointed when I heard about "the Friday only". It really is a shame. And if part of it is about watching Ohio State, that is what DVR or Tevo is for. They really have hurt the MANY people that loved going both nights.
Old 10-22-17, 12:26 PM
All World

BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
It really sucks. Makes it harder to follow your team even if you're from a distance. Having a larger amount of games on the same night makes it harder to be covered by local media. It'll hurt the smaller schools more who can't sell as much advertising as the bigger schools.
Old 10-22-17, 03:39 PM
All World

serpico will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dograt View Post

Now, if you want to tell me all the reasons schools should want Saturdays, fine. I'm not even saying they do or don't. Just everyone's arguements so far have been about the fans.
Coaches I am familiar with like it because their routine isn't changed. I appreciate that, but the fans are the ones paying the freight.
Old 10-22-17, 03:43 PM
All Yappi

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Really dumb move OHSAA.
Old 10-22-17, 04:05 PM
All Region

Curious One is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by queencitybuckeye View Post
What was the stated reason for the change?
Cuz bad officials gotta eat too!
Old 10-22-17, 04:27 PM
All Yappi

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
The only thing that sucks for me is I usually donít get off until 530/6 and if a team is playing a distance away, itís hard to be able to get there on time.
Old 10-22-17, 04:40 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
There's a few questions I'd like for the OHSAA to answer.

They state they have a tougher time getting site locations on Saturday. Well, have they considered that DOUBLING the number of sites needed on Friday might make getting enough site locations for Friday a similar problem?

Secondly, under the old system, schools generally didn't host games the same night their own team was playing elsewhere. This was quite common with Massillon and Steubenville, and I'm sure other schools did this as well. So, has that been factored in that now EVERYONE in the playoffs is probably less inclined to host a playoff game?

Third, though Saturday games have less attendance, has the OHSAA factored in the number of fans who are unable to see a game on either night because of another game the same night? And I'm not just talking the armchair quarterback crowd. Does the OHSAA understand how many FOOTBALL PLAYERS attend games at other schools, even while they're playing in the playoffs? It's always been a regular occurrence that you'd see jackets, hats, shirts, stadium seats, cushions, etc of local teams when the playoffs begin and only a few teams are alive in an area. But, this is the time when players who are still alive for the playoffs get a chance to actually attend a game other than the one they're playing in.

And lastly, has the OHSAA been able to explain how they can have some of the highest ticket prices in the country for playoff games, have a 224 team playoff field, in a state barely 200x200 miles, and somehow claim NOT to have money, yet western states with far fewer teams, far fewer people, and far less money somehow survive year-to-year without bankruptcy?

Nebraska plays all games at the higher seed, and the title games are at Lincoln's Memorial Stadium. Tickets are a meager $7 each per game. Far fewer fans, and only 4 of the 6 are 11-man. And yet, somehow the NSAA stays in business. Maybe the OHSAA needs to take some notes on how other states handle things.
Old 10-22-17, 04:53 PM
All Yappi

The OHSAA should have the respond to that last question.
Old 10-22-17, 05:59 PM
All Region

ringer2 is on a distinguished road
Who said anything about bankruptcy?

And I never get the people on here who complain about every OHS a decision. They claim all the OHSAA cares about is making money but then complain about decisions that they think are going to cost the OHSAA money. The complainers can't have it both ways.
Old 10-22-17, 06:37 PM
All Ohio

nupanther is on a distinguished road
I believe it was another thread that a poster mentioned the 2nd round should have the higher seed host. Reduces costs and you don't have to worry about finding stadiums to host.
Old 10-22-17, 07:39 PM
All Region

cgtrojan1 is on a distinguished road
Playoff games will start at 7:30. So the extra half hour should help with travel.
Old 10-22-17, 07:44 PM
All American

StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Used to be able to watch 2 MAC school games a week during the playoffs now I can't. I surely hope this blows up in their face. There's not enough Turfed venues for this to be possible.
Old 10-22-17, 08:05 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Saves me a hotel bill or two and some dinners/breakfast out. It usually worked out pretty good for me, as Sandusky/Huron would generally have one area team playing Friday and another Saturday.

It seems OHSAA is responding to outside forces. If they can't find schools to host a Saturday game, that's kind of out of their control. If they think significant numbers are missing because of Saturday college football then they should realize the ESPN turds are filling up Friday and Thursday schedules with college games. It's a tough position, probably not enough high school fans anymore to have a push back effect.