Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-03-18, 07:31 PM
All Yappi

LICKING COUNTY FAN is on a distinguished road
Leaving games early

Do you leave before the game is over?

When I have driven to games, I have only left once before the game was over.

The game was Newark Catholic vs Ready at Gahanna (Playoffs) and I just dd have the stomach to watch(and they did) the Greenwave fall to Ready for a third straight time.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-18, 07:46 PM
Moderated User

sam the butcher is on a distinguished road
Some people leave after the halftime band show. True.
Old 03-03-18, 07:54 PM
All Yappi

LICKING COUNTY FAN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam the butcher View Post
The fans at Hebron Lakewood are notorious for doing this.
Great band and usually one of the worse football teams in the state.
Old 03-03-18, 09:24 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICKING COUNTY FAN View Post
The fans at Hebron Lakewood are notorious for doing this.
Great band and usually one of the worse football teams in the state.
Same is true of Akron Public's Firestone. Equally sad is that band fans number more than the team fans. Such is life in the Akron City Series.
Old 03-04-18, 06:47 AM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
I stay until the game is over, good or bad. I don't control the band parents. It'd be great if they stayed. I went through 10 years of bad Jackson teams and enjoyed it regardless. They're still not great, but I'll take our mediocre league's football title and a 1-in-100 chance in the big league playoffs any day. That's D1, not the also-ran D2 that your whole town was horrified to drop down to. It must suck being a school declining in population with only one big game a year, since your circus-like program keeps you out of any conference. A lot of empty seats at PBTS lately, eh? And oh yeah, I'll also take Jackson being a state power in virtually every other sport.
Old 03-04-18, 11:05 AM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
I always stay to the end win or lose.

Only time I thought of leaving early was down 34-2 at the half and I was disgusted. stuck it out and my team came back to win 38-34. Lesson learned.
Old 03-05-18, 08:39 PM
All Ohio

Reddengineer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2h View Post
I always stay to the end win or lose.

Only time I thought of leaving early was down 34-2 at the half and I was disgusted. stuck it out and my team came back to win 38-34. Lesson learned.
Had a couple of games like that following Steubenville. One was a playoff game vs. North Canton Hoover at Fawcett, the other being a regular season game vs. CCC at Klinefelter. Plenty of folks regretted leaving those 2 early.
Old 03-11-18, 09:26 PM
All Region

jtigerjoe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson03 View Post
I stay until the game is over, good or bad. I don't control the band parents. It'd be great if they stayed. I went through 10 years of bad Jackson teams and enjoyed it regardless. They're still not great, but I'll take our mediocre league's football title and a 1-in-100 chance in the big league playoffs any day. That's D1, not the also-ran D2 that your whole town was horrified to drop down to. It must suck being a school declining in population with only one big game a year, since your circus-like program keeps you out of any conference. A lot of empty seats at PBTS lately, eh? And oh yeah, I'll also take Jackson being a state power in virtually every other sport.
Who mentioned Jackson in a previous thread? You must think it was Jackson, but why would you? Unless----- it is true.
Old 03-04-18, 07:15 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
LOL. Band parents ain't got time for this

I shouldn't laugh, I was a band parent myself. But it reminded of that thread on the Huddle from a few years back, where one guy beat his breast in frustration over the existence of marching bands that don't play modern rock music, complete with guitars and drums.

Man, that guy had a pathological hatred of marching bands at halfitme, and swore up and down that "nobody - absolutely nobody" listened to them - ever. What was his handle? Ranker? Something like that.

Before our sons were high school age, my wife and I took them to all of our away football games. Since we were usually 0-5 or 1-4 on the road, we typically left at the end of the third quarter if the score dictated it, and our boys didn't mind.

Nowadays, if it's the second half and my wife is bored, she'll say, "I'm going to the car to sit, you stay here until it's over", and I'll stay til the final gun.

I love that woman.
Old 03-03-18, 09:21 PM
All Ohio

Blue Jay Fan is on a distinguished road
Just once. My former brother-in-law brought his twin sons to a game in freezing weather in sweat pants. The boys were freezing and starting to cry because they were so cold and we were down 28-0 late in the fourth quarter. And he was my ride. Otherwise, I'm there 'til the end.
Old 03-03-18, 11:13 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
I'm sure I'e done it a few times with HS games. The one that jumps out is the '09 DIII title game between Mooney and DeSales at PBTS. It was the 1st game of that year's championship weekend, and someone gave me tickets to all 6 games. It was a boring game, Mooney eventually took control, and it was obvious there would be no comeback, so I left early in the 4th to have extra time to stop home, eat, and warm up before the next game at Fawcett.

Left early at the only 2 games I attended in college. On one occasion, we were getting blown out during our homecoming game, so my friends and I left at halftime. On another occasion, we were throttling the opposition, so we left in the 4th quarter after our younger frat bros. who were on the team had gotten into the game.
Old 03-03-18, 11:15 PM
Varsity

buno67 is on a distinguished road
I usually go to high school games with my uncle. When the score gets to a certain point in the 2nd half, we will set a benchmark. If a team cant make a stop on this drive or this team cant score with this possession we will leave. With running clock, we can tell when games are pretty much over.
Old 03-04-18, 12:24 AM
All American

StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Last time I left a game early was Coldwater vs Marion Local in 2013 because I was disgusted with how we played. A 47-14 loss.
Old 03-04-18, 06:57 AM
Fan of Eagle

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
more often than not
Old 03-04-18, 09:38 AM
All World

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
When my son was playing never. Since then, when I go, I've left early on occasion.
Old 03-04-18, 11:41 AM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Only a handful of times have I left early.

Bellaire St. John Central was getting crushed by Weirton Madonna on a Saturday afternoon (I believe the Dons had 63 first half points), and I had hurt my back. Sitting there any longer just wasn't going to work.

Delphos St. John was on their way to a 77-6 victory over Shadyside in a state final. With the ticket book, I took the last half of the fourth quarter off to go get food and get over to the next game. Hindsight, I wish I would've stayed. Oh well.

More recently, Niles McKinley-Girard opened the 2016 season at Niles. Bad weather was rolling in, but Niles was mostly spared until the second half. Wife and daughter were with me. We waited out the rain under the stadium, but the lightning delay was almost over and more lightning hit. So, we decided to head home and miss the 4th quarter. It was on TV, so by the time we were home the lightning delay had just ended. If it was just me, I would've waited out the lightning delay. Struthers, just a little to the south, had opted to postpone their game to Friday night.

Generally, though, I stick around until the clock reads zeros. The people who leave after halftime are just there for the bands. But the people who leave in the 4th quarter of a one-score game just baffle me. It's like leaving the movie theater with 20 minutes to go in a film. Why?
Old 03-04-18, 05:24 PM
All World

troyboy73 is on a distinguished road
Talk to Troy coach with media after game so I am there for all of it.
Old 03-04-18, 05:26 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Sometimes depends on who I am there with and who drove. I hate to walk home!
Old 03-04-18, 09:17 PM
All Ohio

USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
Three, sometimes four or five of us guys sit together at games. When the score gets out of hand we usually make our departure. One game, four or five years ago, the team we follow was on the road and just blowing out the home team. They head out and I told them since we were getting the 2nd half kickoff I'd watch that series. One of our guys ran the 2nd half kickoff back for a TD and I was on my way down the road to catch the 2nd half of a neighboring school's game.
Old 03-04-18, 11:13 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Watching my team play.... never...

other games, I might if it is like part of an event and I have been there all day and the last game is a blow out....
Old 03-05-18, 12:29 AM
All Ohio

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
1 time. 38 degrees, pouring rain, uncovered visitor’s stands, up 34-6, around 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter, it was just time to go.
Old 03-05-18, 08:38 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
rarely stay til the end
Old 03-05-18, 09:24 AM
Fan of Eagle

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
When game is basically over, it is ok to leave if you are not a parent/relative.
Old 03-05-18, 10:22 AM
All Region

Rangerfan is on a distinguished road
I remember sitting at the state champions (I think at Massillon) in the section filled with mostly coaches who had tickets to all the games. Was at the D6 game, which was a rematch from the year before, I think Delphos St. Johns against Mogadore. Delphos had won big the year before, and as soon as Delphos went up 14-0 in the first quarter, there was a stream of coaches leaving. I heard one say, "We've seen this before, let's get some steak before the next game."
Old 03-05-18, 07:07 PM
All Ohio

nupanther is on a distinguished road
I always stay til the end. Im afraid I mat miss some spectacular play. A great play is a great play even it's a 3rd string stringer in a 45-0 game in the 4th quarter. Plus I'm cheap. I want the full experience for my few bucks
Old 03-05-18, 08:05 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
One of the most baffling times I've seen someone leave early was a few years ago.

Two arch-rivals going at, two districts that border each other and share the same zip code. One's 'city' the other is 'rural'. No love lost between them. The 'rural' team had a string of losses in the rivalry (and today, is still like 1-17 in the past 18 games now). Home team, the dominant team, isn't doing the greatest in the game. After halftime, the usual percentage of fans left. And in the third, it's not looking good. Down two touchdowns, you see a few more home fans streaming out.

Then, fourth quarter, home team scores twice to tie the game. Only a few minutes to go. Tie game. Against your rivals. And the older couple sitting two rows in front of me gets up and starts gathering their things to leave. Says their goodbyes to the few fans they're friends with around them and just leave. Not even hanging out down in the endzone to watch as a lot of fans do at that stadium. Just left. Walked all the way out to their cars.

HOW can you leave a game like that?

Someone did ask them if they were really leaving, and the guy just shrugged and said, "I'll hear it on the radio."

Unbelievable to me that you'd leave an undecided game that close to overtime. Home team ended up winning in OT, 27-26. Visitors scored first and missed scoring a PAT. Came back to haunt them.

Game recap for those interested: http://www.sharonherald.com/sports/t...9e739b689.html
Old 03-06-18, 01:45 AM
Freshman

Dirteater is on a distinguished road
Some playoffs & away games, I may leave early if score is getting out of hand. Home games, kinda hard to since I run the downbox on the chain gang.
Old 03-06-18, 12:57 PM
All District

Cannoli137 is on a distinguished road
I also have a win win situation for watching parts of 2 games on Friday nights. Wife is a Mingo grad & wanted our kids to attend Creek. With my son, I’d take him to the Creek games, let him play with his friends in the end zone, by halftime he was tired enough to want to go home. So I’d take him home, drop him off & make the 2nd half of the Big Red games.
Old 03-06-18, 04:23 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Most definitely.
Caught parts of 3 games one night.
Never left a game we were losing early but have left a number of Ws early. Depends on weather, another game on the way back, etc.

When games were blowouts all ya seewas handoff to handoffnwith the backups.
Old 03-06-18, 04:28 PM
All District

bengals wrestling is on a distinguished road
Have a good friend, works third shift 11P-7A, he can never stay until the end whether it's FB or BB. He stays as long as he can then he has to go. I on the other hand, prefer to stay until the crowd is gone, mulling around and talking to others who do the same.