Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91  
Old 11-19-18, 04:23 PM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Location: North Side
Posts: 9,870
EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
I think real soon you'll see East, Chaney, Mooney and Ursuline all play each other every year. If you set it up right both Mooney and Ursuline would make a trip to rayen each year and a city team would visit stambaugh each year.

Mix in the existing games those 4 play against boardman, harding and fitch and something like a conference begins to emerge
Well this looks better already
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 11-19-18, 04:25 PM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Location: North Side
Posts: 9,870
EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Elite View Post
That’s true, a ton of houses up for rent over there tho as well
When was the last time an athlete CAME TO or STAYED IN Campbell for sports?

The 90s?
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 11-19-18, 07:37 PM
Hilltopper1 Hilltopper1 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 07-27-16
Posts: 206
Hilltopper1 is on a distinguished road
Mickey had some players. Even had some come in. That was partly because of Bayuk also
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 11-19-18, 07:39 PM
Hilltopper1 Hilltopper1 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 07-27-16
Posts: 206
Hilltopper1 is on a distinguished road
He also lost complete control of the program at the end and some of those guys he leaned on ran wild. It was a disaster, kids using theiR cell phones on sidelines, going up into stands during games
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 11-19-18, 08:53 PM
YtownJohnny YtownJohnny is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 08-24-11
Posts: 200
YtownJohnny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
When was the last time an athlete CAME TO or STAYED IN Campbell for sports?

The 90s?
Larry and Garry Robbins would be my guess.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 11-19-18, 08:53 PM
YtownJohnny YtownJohnny is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 08-24-11
Posts: 200
YtownJohnny is on a distinguished road
Oops. That was Struthers. I’m mistaken.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 11-26-18, 09:09 PM
crazyirishfan crazyirishfan is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 09-28-04
Location: Youngstown, OH
Posts: 68
crazyirishfan
Any word on any applicants?
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 11-26-18, 11:14 PM
Soupcity99 Soupcity99 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-07-15
Location: Macedonia via Campbell
Posts: 46
Soupcity99 is on a distinguished road
Rumor has it that Kempe has some interest in the Campbell job and was suppossed to tour the facilities over the holiday break. Suppossedly he hadn't applied yet for the position though.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 11-27-18, 09:56 PM
Spread All Day Spread All Day is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-25-11
Location: The valley
Posts: 6,336
Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupcity99 View Post
Rumor has it that Kempe has some interest in the Campbell job and was suppossed to tour the facilities over the holiday break. Suppossedly he hadn't applied yet for the position though.


Campbell doesn’t have OE so I doubt it. It’ll be harder to win there than Ursuline.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 11-27-18, 10:12 PM
confused confused is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-09-06
Posts: 845
confused is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by YtownJohnny View Post
Larry and Garry Robbins would be my guess.
God rest their souls. UHS to Struthers.
Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old 11-28-18, 01:39 AM
Spread All Day Spread All Day is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-25-11
Location: The valley
Posts: 6,336
Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by confused View Post
God rest their souls. UHS to Struthers.


What year?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 11-28-18, 08:57 AM
YTOWN YTOWN is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 04-27-01
Posts: 548
YTOWN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
What year?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think they graduated in 1981. Maybe plus or minus a year but somewhere around 81. IIRC they led the Cats to an undefeated hoops season.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 11-28-18, 08:51 PM
confused confused is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-09-06
Posts: 845
confused is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by YTOWN View Post
I think they graduated in 1981. Maybe plus or minus a year but somewhere around 81. IIRC they led the Cats to an undefeated hoops season.
Then Rayen took them out in the tournament. They left UHS in 79 to go an play for coach Patton. One went on to Kent the other to YSU and then they both played for the Youngstown Pride. Downhill from there for both of them.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 11-28-18, 09:03 PM
YTOWN YTOWN is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 04-27-01
Posts: 548
YTOWN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by confused View Post
Then Rayen took them out in the tournament. They left UHS in 79 to go an play for coach Patton. One went on to Kent the other to YSU and then they both played for the Youngstown Pride. Downhill from there for both of them.
I remember that. Rayen made it to the Final Four that year, lost in the semis. I think it was Larry that went to Kent.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 11-28-18, 09:31 PM
WOT WOT is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-07-01
Posts: 473
WOT
You are off one year and one round. In the ‘78-‘79 season Rayen lost in an upset to Cleveland Cathedral Latin in the regional finals. Rayen had Joe James, Greg Jones, Terry Taylor, Rod Jennings and Adam Powell. Joe James was a Parade All-American. Greg Jones played at WVU and nearly made it in the NBA. Terry Taylor was a first round pick of the Seahawks and Adam Powell played at WVU. His brother, Craig, was a LB at OSU and a first round pick of the Browns. That team was arguably the best team ever from Youngstown, but they couldn’t get to Columbus.

The Robbins twins Left Ursuline for Struthers the following school year.
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 11-28-18, 09:45 PM
YTOWN YTOWN is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 04-27-01
Posts: 548
YTOWN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOT View Post
You are off one year and one round. In the ‘78-‘79 season Rayen lost in an upset to Cleveland Cathedral Latin in the regional finals. Rayen had Joe James, Greg Jones, Terry Taylor, Rod Jennings and Adam Powell. Joe James was a Parade All-American. Greg Jones played at WVU and nearly made it in the NBA. Terry Taylor was a first round pick of the Seahawks and Adam Powell played at WVU. His brother, Craig, was a LB at OSU and a first round pick of the Browns. That team was arguably the best team ever from Youngstown, but they couldn’t get to Columbus.

The Robbins twins Left Ursuline for Struthers the following school year.
No, we were talking about when Rayen took out Struthers after the Robbins twins led the Cats to an undefeated regular season. I believe the Tigers lost in the semis that year.

IIRC Rayen beat that 78-79 Latin team in the regular season but as you said they lost to them in the regional final. I would agree that Tiger team was probably the best Youngstown team ever.

Greg Jones did get drafted by the Pacers I think.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 11-28-18, 09:55 PM
wghfan wghfan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-18-04
Posts: 3,062
wghfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by YTOWN View Post
No, we were talking about when Rayen took out Struthers after the Robbins twins led the Cats to an undefeated regular season. I believe the Tigers lost in the semis that year.

IIRC Rayen beat that 78-79 Latin team in the regular season but as you said they lost to them in the regional final. I would agree that Tiger team was probably the best Youngstown team ever.

Greg Jones did get drafted by the Pacers I think.
That Rayen team was one of the best high school teams I ever watched. Jones, and James we're an unbelievable combo. Had some other nice players on that team also. Remember that Latin game in Canton. I believe James picked up 2 quick fouls early, and had to sit almost the whole half. Latin had a big time player. I think his name might have been Colin Irish.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 11-28-18, 09:58 PM
WOT WOT is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-07-01
Posts: 473
WOT
Rayen made the semifinals in ‘81 and the finals in ‘82. The Robbins twins graduated in ‘81. I know Struthers was undefeated that year in the regular season. Not sure who beat them in the tourney. It must have been Rayen. Looks like I was off a few years!

Wghfan, you are correct. Colin Irish was the stud for Cathedral Latin. He went on to play at BGSU.
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 11-28-18, 10:02 PM
YTOWN YTOWN is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 04-27-01
Posts: 548
YTOWN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wghfan View Post
That Rayen team was one of the best high school teams I ever watched. Jones, and James we're an unbelievable combo. Had some other nice players on that team also. Remember that Latin game in Canton. I believe James picked up 2 quick fouls early, and had to sit almost the whole half. Latin had a big time player. I think his name might have been Colin Irish.
It was Colin Irish. I'm pretty sure he went to BGSU. They had another guy named Warren, maybe Jeff Warren? I know they had a kid named Washington but that's about all I remember. I'm pretty sure they took Rayen out in 78 also. They won the title in 77.

Didn't see Wot's post before I posted this.

Yes Rayen lost in the semis in 81 and the final in 82. I can remember coach Cegledy saying after his 85 team won the championship that he probably had 3 or 4 teams better than that team at Rayen.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 11-29-18, 12:18 AM
Struthersfan Struthersfan is online now
All World
 
Join Date: 08-20-11
Location: San Jacinto, California
Posts: 3,082
Struthersfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOT View Post
Rayen made the semifinals in ‘81 and the finals in ‘82. The Robbins twins graduated in ‘81. I know Struthers was undefeated that year in the regular season. Not sure who beat them in the tourney. It must have been Rayen. Looks like I was off a few years!

Wghfan, you are correct. Colin Irish was the stud for Cathedral Latin. He went on to play at BGSU.
You’re correct. And it was Rayen who beat the Cats in the tournament at Salem in the district semis. Struthers finished 21-1.

Rayen had a lot of height and the Robbins’ were the tallest the Cats had at around 6’2”.
Their height difference was a huge factor in the game. Rayen had a nice team that year.

Saw Rayen play a few times in ‘85. One was a game at Rayen against a good Brookfield team. Packed house in a decent Size Rayen gym.
There were a lot of good Rayen teams during that timeframe. Could’ve won state more than just one time.
The 85 team was great to watch.

Sad what’s happened to both Robbins men.
Both died way too early.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 11-29-18, 12:36 AM
wghfan wghfan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-18-04
Posts: 3,062
wghfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Struthersfan View Post
You’re correct. And it was Rayen who beat the Cats in the tournament at Salem in the district semis. Struthers finished 21-1.

Rayen had a lot of height and the Robbins’ were the tallest the Cats had at around 6’2”.
Their height difference was a huge factor in the game. Rayen had a nice team that year.

Saw Rayen play a few times in ‘85. One was a game at Rayen against a good Brookfield team. Packed house in a decent Size Rayen gym.
There were a lot of good Rayen teams during that timeframe. Could’ve won state more than just one time.
The 85 team was great to watch.

Sad what’s happened to both Robbins men.
Both died way too early.
Just my opinion, I still feel the 78-79 Rayen team, with James, and Jones, was the best.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 11-29-18, 12:43 AM
Struthersfan Struthersfan is online now
All World
 
Join Date: 08-20-11
Location: San Jacinto, California
Posts: 3,082
Struthersfan is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wghfan View Post
Just my opinion, I still feel the 78-79 Rayen team, with James, and Jones, was the best.
Now that you mention it, that was one hell of a team.
And probably the best Tiger team ever.
Probably watched them in one of the local tournament games.
I vaguely remember the loss in the regionals. The Tigers were definitely the favorites to win state that year. Guess it wasn’t meant to be.

I was shocked when they lost. Actually think I listened to the game that night.
Most people couldn’t believe they lost.
Wasn’t supposed to happen.
Rayen had unbelievable talent.

A shame.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 11-29-18, 01:20 PM
YTOWN YTOWN is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 04-27-01
Posts: 548
YTOWN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wghfan View Post
That Rayen team was one of the best high school teams I ever watched. Jones, and James we're an unbelievable combo. Had some other nice players on that team also. Remember that Latin game in Canton. I believe James picked up 2 quick fouls early, and had to sit almost the whole half. Latin had a big time player. I think his name might have been Colin Irish.
I couldn't make that game in Canton but I did listen to it on the radio. Mr. James did have two quick fouls but what was worse is he pulled a hamstring in the 1st period and sat until more than halfway through the 2nd period and when he came back in he quickly picked up his 3rd foul and sat until the 3rd period. He came back in the 3rd period but according to the announcers you could tell he was hurting, couldn't move very well and not very effective. I think he scored 6 points but whatever the total was it was the lowest of his HS career. The Tigers missed a bunch of free throws also.

The loss was shocking to most area people because in the regular season game Rayen easily handled Latin at South Field House by about 25 and they did that without Adam Powell who was injured. I did see that one. The thing is Latin was a very good basketball team even though that night Rayen made them look bad. If memory serves Latin lost 3 games in the regular season, the one to Rayen and twice to Cleveland St. Joseph. St. Joe's finished as the AAA runner-up led by Clark Kellogg. I'm pretty sure Mr. Kellogg scored 51 in a losing effort in the AAA final that season.
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 11-29-18, 01:35 PM
Scipio Scipio is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 05-11-01
Posts: 766
Scipio is on a distinguished road
I remember those great Rayen teams because Harding played them every year back then when I was in school. What I always remember is how flashy their coach was. Gold watches and rings...dressed to the nines. IIRC, Harding and Reserve played them pretty tight? Do you have the schedule results anywhere Ytown?

We really hijacked this thread. (Sorry)

Didn't Kemp have a Head Coaching job or two back in the 90's?
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 11-29-18, 02:05 PM
Gardens35 Gardens35 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-10-09
Posts: 2,005
Gardens35 is on a distinguished road
Does Eddie still love Debbie?
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 11-29-18, 02:14 PM
Scipio Scipio is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 05-11-01
Posts: 766
Scipio is on a distinguished road
https://twitter.com/EddieNDebbie
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 11-29-18, 02:17 PM
YTOWN YTOWN is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 04-27-01
Posts: 548
YTOWN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio View Post
I remember those great Rayen teams because Harding played them every year back then when I was in school. What I always remember is how flashy their coach was. Gold watches and rings...dressed to the nines. IIRC, Harding and Reserve played them pretty tight? Do you have the schedule results anywhere Ytown?

We really hijacked this thread. (Sorry)

Didn't Kemp have a Head Coaching job or two back in the 90's?
No sir I do not. I know they played Harding early in the season that year and I thought Rayen won by about 15 but I'm not sure of that.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 11-29-18, 02:37 PM
wghfan wghfan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-18-04
Posts: 3,062
wghfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by YTOWN View Post
No sir I do not. I know they played Harding early in the season that year and I thought Rayen won by about 15 but I'm not sure of that.
That is when I seen how good Rayen was that year I remember going to watch that Rayen/Harding game at the Harding Fieldhouse, and Harding had a decent team that year, and Rayen beat them handily. Don't remember by how much exactly, but I said to my buddy, damn this team is so good, and talented. Started following them ever since then
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 11-29-18, 04:17 PM
sportster4321 sportster4321 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-11-12
Posts: 3,146
sportster4321 is on a distinguished road
For those who care I heard Micky Sikora back to Campbell is a done deal. Should be announced shortly.

Last edited by sportster4321; 11-29-18 at 08:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 11-29-18, 08:05 PM
Bigdean1 Bigdean1 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 02-15-11
Posts: 28
Bigdean1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster4321 View Post
For those who care I heard Micky Sikora back to Campbell is a done deal. Should he announced shortly.
The BOE votes on Tuesday. Sikora has an enormous amount of work in front of him, trying to rebuild a program that is as far down as down can get.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ohio Div 1 PURPLE REIGN Volleyball 47 11-15-18 12:56 PM
Mooney v Ursuline EastYoungstown Football 46 10-19-18 08:03 PM
What is going on with Ursuline yipyap Football 21 09-10-18 09:43 PM
Youngstown Cardinal Mooney (4-4) vs Youngstown Ursuline (2-6) EastYoungstown Football 24 10-21-17 10:50 PM
Ursuline High School Football 16vincenta Football 3 08-17-17 01:34 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz