Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-19-18, 04:23 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
I think real soon you'll see East, Chaney, Mooney and Ursuline all play each other every year. If you set it up right both Mooney and Ursuline would make a trip to rayen each year and a city team would visit stambaugh each year.

Mix in the existing games those 4 play against boardman, harding and fitch and something like a conference begins to emerge
Well this looks better already
Old 11-19-18, 04:25 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Elite View Post
That’s true, a ton of houses up for rent over there tho as well
When was the last time an athlete CAME TO or STAYED IN Campbell for sports?

The 90s?
Old 11-19-18, 07:37 PM
All District

Hilltopper1 is on a distinguished road
Mickey had some players. Even had some come in. That was partly because of Bayuk also
Old 11-19-18, 07:39 PM
All District

Hilltopper1 is on a distinguished road
He also lost complete control of the program at the end and some of those guys he leaned on ran wild. It was a disaster, kids using theiR cell phones on sidelines, going up into stands during games
Old 11-19-18, 08:53 PM
All District

YtownJohnny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
When was the last time an athlete CAME TO or STAYED IN Campbell for sports?

The 90s?
Larry and Garry Robbins would be my guess.
Old 11-19-18, 08:53 PM
All District

YtownJohnny is on a distinguished road
Oops. That was Struthers. I’m mistaken.
Old 11-26-18, 09:09 PM
Varsity

crazyirishfan
Any word on any applicants?
Old 11-26-18, 11:14 PM
Junior Varsity

Soupcity99 is on a distinguished road
Rumor has it that Kempe has some interest in the Campbell job and was suppossed to tour the facilities over the holiday break. Suppossedly he hadn't applied yet for the position though.
Old 11-27-18, 09:56 PM
All Yappi

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupcity99 View Post
Rumor has it that Kempe has some interest in the Campbell job and was suppossed to tour the facilities over the holiday break. Suppossedly he hadn't applied yet for the position though.

Campbell doesn’t have OE so I doubt it. It’ll be harder to win there than Ursuline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-18, 10:12 PM
All Ohio

confused is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by YtownJohnny View Post
Larry and Garry Robbins would be my guess.
God rest their souls. UHS to Struthers.
Old 11-28-18, 01:39 AM
All Yappi

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by confused View Post
God rest their souls. UHS to Struthers.

What year?

Old 11-28-18, 08:57 AM
All Ohio

YTOWN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
What year?

I think they graduated in 1981. Maybe plus or minus a year but somewhere around 81. IIRC they led the Cats to an undefeated hoops season.
Old 11-28-18, 08:51 PM
All Ohio

confused is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by YTOWN View Post
I think they graduated in 1981. Maybe plus or minus a year but somewhere around 81. IIRC they led the Cats to an undefeated hoops season.
Then Rayen took them out in the tournament. They left UHS in 79 to go an play for coach Patton. One went on to Kent the other to YSU and then they both played for the Youngstown Pride. Downhill from there for both of them.
Old 11-28-18, 09:03 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused View Post
Then Rayen took them out in the tournament. They left UHS in 79 to go an play for coach Patton. One went on to Kent the other to YSU and then they both played for the Youngstown Pride. Downhill from there for both of them.
I remember that. Rayen made it to the Final Four that year, lost in the semis. I think it was Larry that went to Kent.
Old 11-28-18, 09:31 PM
All Region

WOT
You are off one year and one round. In the ‘78-‘79 season Rayen lost in an upset to Cleveland Cathedral Latin in the regional finals. Rayen had Joe James, Greg Jones, Terry Taylor, Rod Jennings and Adam Powell. Joe James was a Parade All-American. Greg Jones played at WVU and nearly made it in the NBA. Terry Taylor was a first round pick of the Seahawks and Adam Powell played at WVU. His brother, Craig, was a LB at OSU and a first round pick of the Browns. That team was arguably the best team ever from Youngstown, but they couldn’t get to Columbus.

The Robbins twins Left Ursuline for Struthers the following school year.
Old 11-28-18, 09:45 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOT View Post
You are off one year and one round. In the ‘78-‘79 season Rayen lost in an upset to Cleveland Cathedral Latin in the regional finals. Rayen had Joe James, Greg Jones, Terry Taylor, Rod Jennings and Adam Powell. Joe James was a Parade All-American. Greg Jones played at WVU and nearly made it in the NBA. Terry Taylor was a first round pick of the Seahawks and Adam Powell played at WVU. His brother, Craig, was a LB at OSU and a first round pick of the Browns. That team was arguably the best team ever from Youngstown, but they couldn’t get to Columbus.

The Robbins twins Left Ursuline for Struthers the following school year.
No, we were talking about when Rayen took out Struthers after the Robbins twins led the Cats to an undefeated regular season. I believe the Tigers lost in the semis that year.

IIRC Rayen beat that 78-79 Latin team in the regular season but as you said they lost to them in the regional final. I would agree that Tiger team was probably the best Youngstown team ever.

Greg Jones did get drafted by the Pacers I think.
Old 11-28-18, 09:55 PM
All World

wghfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No, we were talking about when Rayen took out Struthers after the Robbins twins led the Cats to an undefeated regular season. I believe the Tigers lost in the semis that year.

IIRC Rayen beat that 78-79 Latin team in the regular season but as you said they lost to them in the regional final. I would agree that Tiger team was probably the best Youngstown team ever.

Greg Jones did get drafted by the Pacers I think.
That Rayen team was one of the best high school teams I ever watched. Jones, and James we're an unbelievable combo. Had some other nice players on that team also. Remember that Latin game in Canton. I believe James picked up 2 quick fouls early, and had to sit almost the whole half. Latin had a big time player. I think his name might have been Colin Irish.
Old 11-28-18, 09:58 PM
All Region

WOT
Rayen made the semifinals in ‘81 and the finals in ‘82. The Robbins twins graduated in ‘81. I know Struthers was undefeated that year in the regular season. Not sure who beat them in the tourney. It must have been Rayen. Looks like I was off a few years!

Wghfan, you are correct. Colin Irish was the stud for Cathedral Latin. He went on to play at BGSU.
Old 11-28-18, 10:02 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by wghfan View Post
That Rayen team was one of the best high school teams I ever watched. Jones, and James we're an unbelievable combo. Had some other nice players on that team also. Remember that Latin game in Canton. I believe James picked up 2 quick fouls early, and had to sit almost the whole half. Latin had a big time player. I think his name might have been Colin Irish.
It was Colin Irish. I'm pretty sure he went to BGSU. They had another guy named Warren, maybe Jeff Warren? I know they had a kid named Washington but that's about all I remember. I'm pretty sure they took Rayen out in 78 also. They won the title in 77.

Didn't see Wot's post before I posted this.

Yes Rayen lost in the semis in 81 and the final in 82. I can remember coach Cegledy saying after his 85 team won the championship that he probably had 3 or 4 teams better than that team at Rayen.
Old 11-29-18, 12:18 AM
All World

Struthersfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOT View Post
Rayen made the semifinals in ‘81 and the finals in ‘82. The Robbins twins graduated in ‘81. I know Struthers was undefeated that year in the regular season. Not sure who beat them in the tourney. It must have been Rayen. Looks like I was off a few years!

Wghfan, you are correct. Colin Irish was the stud for Cathedral Latin. He went on to play at BGSU.
You’re correct. And it was Rayen who beat the Cats in the tournament at Salem in the district semis. Struthers finished 21-1.

Rayen had a lot of height and the Robbins’ were the tallest the Cats had at around 6’2”.
Their height difference was a huge factor in the game. Rayen had a nice team that year.

Saw Rayen play a few times in ‘85. One was a game at Rayen against a good Brookfield team. Packed house in a decent Size Rayen gym.
There were a lot of good Rayen teams during that timeframe. Could’ve won state more than just one time.
The 85 team was great to watch.

Sad what’s happened to both Robbins men.
Both died way too early.
Old 11-29-18, 12:36 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struthersfan View Post
You’re correct. And it was Rayen who beat the Cats in the tournament at Salem in the district semis. Struthers finished 21-1.

Rayen had a lot of height and the Robbins’ were the tallest the Cats had at around 6’2”.
Their height difference was a huge factor in the game. Rayen had a nice team that year.

Saw Rayen play a few times in ‘85. One was a game at Rayen against a good Brookfield team. Packed house in a decent Size Rayen gym.
There were a lot of good Rayen teams during that timeframe. Could’ve won state more than just one time.
The 85 team was great to watch.

Sad what’s happened to both Robbins men.
Both died way too early.
Just my opinion, I still feel the 78-79 Rayen team, with James, and Jones, was the best.
Old 11-29-18, 12:43 AM
All World

Struthersfan is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Quote:
Just my opinion, I still feel the 78-79 Rayen team, with James, and Jones, was the best.
Now that you mention it, that was one hell of a team.
And probably the best Tiger team ever.
Probably watched them in one of the local tournament games.
I vaguely remember the loss in the regionals. The Tigers were definitely the favorites to win state that year. Guess it wasn’t meant to be.

I was shocked when they lost. Actually think I listened to the game that night.
Most people couldn’t believe they lost.
Wasn’t supposed to happen.
Rayen had unbelievable talent.

A shame.
Old 11-29-18, 01:20 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
I couldn't make that game in Canton but I did listen to it on the radio. Mr. James did have two quick fouls but what was worse is he pulled a hamstring in the 1st period and sat until more than halfway through the 2nd period and when he came back in he quickly picked up his 3rd foul and sat until the 3rd period. He came back in the 3rd period but according to the announcers you could tell he was hurting, couldn't move very well and not very effective. I think he scored 6 points but whatever the total was it was the lowest of his HS career. The Tigers missed a bunch of free throws also.

The loss was shocking to most area people because in the regular season game Rayen easily handled Latin at South Field House by about 25 and they did that without Adam Powell who was injured. I did see that one. The thing is Latin was a very good basketball team even though that night Rayen made them look bad. If memory serves Latin lost 3 games in the regular season, the one to Rayen and twice to Cleveland St. Joseph. St. Joe's finished as the AAA runner-up led by Clark Kellogg. I'm pretty sure Mr. Kellogg scored 51 in a losing effort in the AAA final that season.
Old 11-29-18, 01:35 PM
All Ohio

Scipio is on a distinguished road
I remember those great Rayen teams because Harding played them every year back then when I was in school. What I always remember is how flashy their coach was. Gold watches and rings...dressed to the nines. IIRC, Harding and Reserve played them pretty tight? Do you have the schedule results anywhere Ytown?

We really hijacked this thread. (Sorry)

Didn't Kemp have a Head Coaching job or two back in the 90's?
Old 11-29-18, 02:05 PM
All American

Gardens35 is on a distinguished road
Does Eddie still love Debbie?
Old 11-29-18, 02:14 PM
All Ohio

Scipio is on a distinguished road
https://twitter.com/EddieNDebbie
Old 11-29-18, 02:17 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio View Post
I remember those great Rayen teams because Harding played them every year back then when I was in school. What I always remember is how flashy their coach was. Gold watches and rings...dressed to the nines. IIRC, Harding and Reserve played them pretty tight? Do you have the schedule results anywhere Ytown?

We really hijacked this thread. (Sorry)

Didn't Kemp have a Head Coaching job or two back in the 90's?
No sir I do not. I know they played Harding early in the season that year and I thought Rayen won by about 15 but I'm not sure of that.
Old 11-29-18, 02:37 PM
All World

Quote:
No sir I do not. I know they played Harding early in the season that year and I thought Rayen won by about 15 but I'm not sure of that.
That is when I seen how good Rayen was that year I remember going to watch that Rayen/Harding game at the Harding Fieldhouse, and Harding had a decent team that year, and Rayen beat them handily. Don't remember by how much exactly, but I said to my buddy, damn this team is so good, and talented. Started following them ever since then
Old 11-29-18, 04:17 PM
All World

sportster4321 is on a distinguished road
For those who care I heard Micky Sikora back to Campbell is a done deal. Should be announced shortly.

Last edited by sportster4321; 11-29-18 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-29-18, 08:05 PM
Junior Varsity

Bigdean1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster4321 View Post
For those who care I heard Micky Sikora back to Campbell is a done deal. Should he announced shortly.
The BOE votes on Tuesday. Sikora has an enormous amount of work in front of him, trying to rebuild a program that is as far down as down can get.