Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-17-18, 10:28 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
They Shall Not Grow Old

I am usually up on the latest buzz for well done cinema but didn't hear much about this one that is basically re-writing the script on how a historical documentary films can be made>

My guess with the current political climate in Hollywood this is not the type of subject the draws much attention and Oscar "buzz" but reviewers are talking about this Peter Jackson film as a game changer with some saying the best use of 3D ever. The release dates and times for it are not traditional so if you are into any type of war film makes sure to keep and eye out and see it in a 3D theater.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-18, 10:53 AM
All American

FootballFan1795 is on a distinguished road
Adding color and sound, etc. means involving more of the senses and possibly eliciting a more emotional response from the viewer ... which I donít think is a bad thing. I, for one, would watch.
Old 12-17-18, 11:44 AM
All World

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Only released for two weeks?

Really looking forward to seeing this.
Old 12-17-18, 12:34 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
I am usually up on the latest buzz for well done cinema but didn't hear much about this one that is basically re-writing the script on how a historical documentary films can be made>

My guess with the current political climate in Hollywood this is not the type of subject the draws much attention and Oscar "buzz" but reviewers are talking about this Peter Jackson film as a game changer with some saying the best use of 3D ever. The release dates and times for it are not traditional so if you are into any type of war film makes sure to keep and eye out and see it in a 3D theater.
As one who had read Tolkein's books, I appreciated Jackson's LOTR flicks, but I now appreciate the money he made from them. I can't imagine a commercial film entity getting behind what had to have been a tremendous expense.

I look foward to seeing this, as well.
Old 12-17-18, 12:58 PM
All Yappi

One of the most haunting things from the trailer is the boys talking about volunteering when 15 or 16 years old. When I see a kid that age these days I wonder how they can play tackle football let alone putting on a military uniform and fighting on the front lines in one of the most gruesome wars man has ever witnessed. The colorization and the voices really drive this point home.

Last edited by Auggie; 12-17-18 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-19-18, 10:28 AM
All Ohio

TheStuff142 is on a distinguished road
I CANNOT wait to be able see this. I have been pumped about it for months.
Old 12-19-18, 12:28 PM
All American

FootballFan1795 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStuff142 View Post
I CANNOT wait to be able see this. I have been pumped about it for months.
Hope you're available Thursday, December 27th, because it's the only day that it's showing in Ohio (the other date was this past Monday, December 17th).

If you click on the 'Fathom Events' link at the bottom of this article, you can enter your zip code to find a theater nearest you:

https://www.newsweek.com/peter-jacks...-where-1262303
Old 12-19-18, 03:59 PM
All World

Thanks for the link FF. I just bought tickets.
Old 12-28-18, 12:40 PM
All World

Saw this yesterday. Theater was packed.

Very simple documentary. The footage, which was redone, was fantastic. All narration was either from the original soldiers or retold through modern British voice-over folks.

War is hell.

One thing they pointed out was how it was so patriotic to sign up and of course many lied about their age in order to serve but when they returned home it was as if the war never even happened. Did not realize that last aspect. Many had trouble gaining employment.
Old 12-28-18, 01:36 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Saw this yesterday. Theater was packed.

Very simple documentary. The footage, which was redone, was fantastic. All narration was either from the original soldiers or retold through modern British voice-over folks.

War is hell.

One thing they pointed out was how it was so patriotic to sign up and of course many lied about their age in order to serve but when they returned home it was as if the war never even happened. Did not realize that last aspect. Many had trouble gaining employment.
I tried to get tickets at the local theater and it was sold out in advance. Also broke records for highest gross opening day for a Doc and average per screen for a doc.
Old 12-28-18, 02:42 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Really hope there's a wider release at some point. Closest theater to me that showed it was an hour away.
Old 12-28-18, 07:02 PM
All Yappi

Saw it yesterday with a group of 6, and therefore was stuck in the front row even though we had bought tickets quite a while ago. Would have rather broke up the group, but it was a great experience just the same.

The distinction made by a few old Brits between Bavarian/Saxon Germans and the Prussians was interesting. It made me wonder where lines of distinction would be drawn by American foes today, if at all.
Old 12-28-18, 07:05 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
Really hope there's a wider release at some point. Closest theater to me that showed it was an hour away.
The old Brits, Aussies, and Kiwis were a bit hard to follow at times, in the audio archival stuff. Great to hear the old gents' perspectives in their aged voices, though.

I'd love another look at it.
Old 12-29-18, 11:18 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Saw it yesterday with a group of 6, and therefore was stuck in the front row even though we had bought tickets quite a while ago. Would have rather broke up the group, but it was a great experience just the same.

The distinction made by a few old Brits between Bavarian/Saxon Germans and the Prussians was interesting. It made me wonder where lines of distinction would be drawn by American foes today, if at all.
I found that interesting as well.
Old 12-29-18, 02:05 PM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
I saw it Thursday night as well. Our theater added a second 7:00 p.m. show when the first one sold out. This film was a technical and artistic masterpiece. I was very moved by the whole experience. If you stayed to watch the "how we did it" portion at the end, you got a good idea of the producer's intent. Wanting to give a taste of what the average soldier experienced and wanting those whose family members served to feel a greater connection to their now gone relative, I can tell you, I did feel a greater connection to my own grandfather who served on the Albanian front. Even though he was in an Alpine setting, I am sure he met with similar deprivations even with frostbite replacing trench foot.

The moment he switched from black and white to color and 1D to 3D was breathtaking and really brought these young men to life. I generally hate 3D in conventional films, but it was put to very good use here.
Old 02-01-19, 01:23 PM
All Yappi

Back in theaters this weekend.
Old 02-06-19, 05:26 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
We saw it on MLK day. I knew nothing about it going in.
It wasn't bad, just wish I knew I was getting into a documentary beforehand.
ALmost something I would have rather watch on TV at home.

I thought it was odd, for at least 15 minutes before the movie started there was trivia on the screen about the war and era.

As other stated, those who were volunteering at 15 yrs old is stunning. OF course, most of the video is at chow or them sitting around.

If I had known what it was to be earlier, I may have enjoyed it more.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: