Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Old 10-30-18, 02:31 PM
All Yappi

thePITman is on a distinguished road
2019 State Tournament Location -OHSAA Baseball Championships To Be Moved To Akron

Last year, the vote passed to extend the high school baseball season by 1 week. While at the 2018 State Baseball Tournament, the buzz was that Huntington Park was already (partially) booked for June 6-8 of the following year and that the 2019 State Baseball Tournament had to be held somewhere else. Has anyone heard any new info on this?

https://ohsaa.org/sports/baseball

https://ohsaa.org/Sports-Tournaments...ament-Coverage

^^ Details on the State Tournament Coverage page (Arena District Parking Map, etc.) allude to the games being played at Huntington Park, but those could just be leftover (non-updated) from prior year's tournament coverage pages.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-18, 03:21 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
I would assume that Ohio State's field would be available if necessary at that time.

Maybe they could bring the state championships to the Akron Rubber Ducks stadium and have both the baseball and softball in the same city.
Old 10-31-18, 08:30 AM
All Yappi

In the past, Ohio State wouldn't have worked because Track & Field would have been going on at the same time, and the parking would have been an absolute nightmare. But with baseball being pushed back a week, it's a viable option.

I mentioned Ohio State to my wife (she and I have gone to the state tournament each of the last 9 years), so she looked it up and saw that most the seats are bleachers. She is not at all thrilled and actually said she wouldn't go (I can't blame her). While I think the size of the stadium would be sufficient and provide a more intimate setting, the bleachers are a total buzzkill for those of us who spend 3 full days watching all 12 games.

For that reason, Canal Park (Rubber Ducks) as you mentioned, would be a great option. However, they, too, have a home game on Thursday of that week.
Old 10-31-18, 09:26 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePITman View Post
In the past, Ohio State wouldn't have worked because Track & Field would have been going on at the same time, and the parking would have been an absolute nightmare. But with baseball being pushed back a week, it's a viable option.

I mentioned Ohio State to my wife (she and I have gone to the state tournament each of the last 9 years), so she looked it up and saw that most the seats are bleachers. She is not at all thrilled and actually said she wouldn't go (I can't blame her). While I think the size of the stadium would be sufficient and provide a more intimate setting, the bleachers are a total buzzkill for those of us who spend 3 full days watching all 12 games.

For that reason, Canal Park (Rubber Ducks) as you mentioned, would be a great option. However, they, too, have a home game on Thursday of that week.
Would you, or your wife, been wearing purple at last year's state tourney by chance?

Don't like the Akron thing at all. Find a way to keep it in Columbus. Ohio State is a good venue and I want to say there are regular seats there as well.
Old 10-31-18, 09:31 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Would you, or your wife, been wearing purple at last year's state tourney by chance?

Don't like the Akron thing at all. Find a way to keep it in Columbus. Ohio State is a good venue and I want to say there are regular seats there as well.
Yes, there was probably at least 1 of 3 days that we both wore purple. Typically we sit in the last 3-4 rows of a section (behind 3rd base for first game, behind 1st base for last 3 games to avoid direct sunlight as much as possible), and we keep book for all 12 games, so we're easy to spot. There is a gentleman from Paulding (maroon shirt) and his brother who normally sit close to us, and us to them.

Yes, the lower bowl of Bill Davis Stadium (Ohio State) has regular seats. The upper bowl is bleachers.
Old 10-31-18, 10:24 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Yes, there was probably at least 1 of 3 days that we both wore purple. Typically we sit in the last 3-4 rows of a section (behind 3rd base for first game, behind 1st base for last 3 games to avoid direct sunlight as much as possible), and we keep book for all 12 games, so we're easy to spot. There is a gentleman from Paulding (maroon shirt) and his brother who normally sit close to us, and us to them.

Yes, the lower bowl of Bill Davis Stadium (Ohio State) has regular seats. The upper bowl is bleachers.
Then we were by you last year then.

Small world.

Hoping it works out for central ohio. Just makes it more central and plus there is a lot to do in Columbus. Akron........akron?
Old 10-31-18, 10:48 AM
All Yappi

https://twitter.com/PITmanStats/stat...58968154300416

Quote:
@PITmanStats:
At last year's @OHSAASports State Baseball Tournament, the buzz was that, with baseball getting extended a week, Huntington Park was already booked and therefore not available for 2019 (June 6-8). @Jerry_Snodgrass Is this true? And if so, are other options being evaluated? Thx!
https://twitter.com/PITmanStats/stat...60139489124353

Quote:
@PITmanStats:
It looks like @CLBClippers (Huntington Park) have home games for the whole weekend June 6-8, and @AkronRubberDuck (Canal Park) have a home game Thursday, June 6. Obviously Bill Davis Stadium (Ohio State) is an option. Just curious of any ongoing discussions or decisions.
We'll see if Mr. Snodgrass or someone else replies with any more information.
Old 11-05-18, 01:18 PM
All Yappi

Per Defiance head coach Tom Held: "We are still in the process of finalizing the location."
https://twitter.com/Fungo20/status/1059504008639987712
Old 11-07-18, 07:51 AM
All District

NEOballer is on a distinguished road
They have to be trying to work with Clippers/MiLB to move that series, if at all possible. Huntington Park is the best venue. Moving the postseason back was sure bring some hurdles, but was the correct decision.
Old 11-07-18, 08:43 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOballer View Post
They have to be trying to work with Clippers/MiLB to move that series, if at all possible. Huntington Park is the best venue. Moving the postseason back was sure bring some hurdles, but was the correct decision.
Agree 100%
Old 01-15-19, 07:35 AM
All District

Looks like no final decision has been made yet on the location of the state finals. Posting a video outside of Canal Park sure seems to put Akron in the driver's seat however...

https://twitter.com/Jerry_Snodgrass/...68084962770951
Old 01-15-19, 01:02 PM
Go Buckeyes

Canal Park would be a great place to play the games. In fact, all the minor league parks would be great to host these games. I wouldn't mind seeing it rotated yearly to all the minor league parks. They are all plenty big enough to handle the crowds.
Old 01-15-19, 01:31 PM
All Yappi

I think Canal Park would be a great solution. Similar size and intimacy to the game compared to Huntington Park. Other than the 1 parking garage and 1 lot across the road, parking could be an issue, but I'm sure they'd get it figured out. Hopefully all the same rules apply - can take in backpacks with soft-sided coolers, water bottles, snacks, etc.

However, the wife and I will need to find a new Friday night dinner tradition, since Hound Dogs (Columbus) is out of the question. Seeking recommendations. Preferably somewhere open late, as we go there after the last game Friday night.
Old 01-15-19, 02:26 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I think Canal Park would be a great solution. Similar size and intimacy to the game compared to Huntington Park. Other than the 1 parking garage and 1 lot across the road, parking could be an issue, but I'm sure they'd get it figured out. Hopefully all the same rules apply - can take in backpacks with soft-sided coolers, water bottles, snacks, etc.

However, the wife and I will need to find a new Friday night dinner tradition, since Hound Dogs (Columbus) is out of the question. Seeking recommendations. Preferably somewhere open late, as we go there after the last game Friday night.
With the generally small crowds I wouldn't think parking would be that bad.

Went there once for Jake Taylor BobbleKnee night years ago!

It is a nice place, no doubt about that but I would rather see it stay in Columbus if all possible
Old 01-15-19, 04:08 PM
All Ohio

playboi12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Canal Park would be a great place to play the games. In fact, all the minor league parks would be great to host these games. I wouldn't mind seeing it rotated yearly to all the minor league parks. They are all plenty big enough to handle the crowds.
I agree. That random year they hosted at 5/3rd field in Dayton was really fun to watch.
Old 01-15-19, 05:59 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:

We've gone to Canal Park for the district games and a few regular season HS games the last few years. Parking has never been a problem. Since I don't go down there during the day much, there might be a problem for the day games on Thursday and Friday. Someone who works in Akron would be better informed.

As for dinner recommendations, I'm guessing Luigi's would get alot of votes.
Old 01-15-19, 06:27 PM
All World

AllSports12 will become famous soon enough
Ohio State isn't likely to be in the mix as there is always the possibility of hosting a Super Regional in Baseball.
Old 01-15-19, 08:36 PM
All Yappi

Only been to 2 OSU games at their newer place, but would it be big enough to host?
Old 01-17-19, 08:18 AM
All Yappi

OHSAA board meeting today. I wonder if something will come out of it regarding state baseball. The last time Snodgrass posted a teaser video (at the Schott), just a few days later the reduced sessions was announced.
Old 01-17-19, 08:24 AM
All District

Quote:
OHSAA board meeting today. I wonder if something will come out of it regarding state baseball. The last time Snodgrass posted a teaser video (at the Schott), just a few days later the reduced sessions was announced.
You are probably correct. Add in the fact that the OHSBCA clinic runs today thru Saturday and it seems like a perfect time for an announcement.
Old 01-18-19, 10:50 AM
All Ohio

radiodaveagain is an unknown quantity at this point
According To A Twitter Posting - OHSAA Baseball Championships To Be Moved To Akron
https://statelinesportsnetwork.net/2...moved-to-akron
Old 01-18-19, 10:55 AM
All Yappi

https://twitter.com/Medinabaseball/s...97955940909059

Quote:
Medina B's Baseball (@Medinabaseball)
The Ohio High School Baseball Semi Finals and Finals have been moved from Columbus. They will now be held at Canal Park in Akron.
The wording seems interesting. I wonder if it's a permanent move, or just this one season. If I remember correctly, the timing of the voting to extend the baseball season one week happened after the Clippers had scheduled a home series at Huntington Park. Now, going forward, if we know those dates, will it work at Huntington Park?
Old 01-18-19, 12:20 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
https://twitter.com/Medinabaseball/s...97955940909059

The wording seems interesting. I wonder if it's a permanent move, or just this one season. If I remember correctly, the timing of the voting to extend the baseball season one week happened after the Clippers had scheduled a home series at Huntington Park. Now, going forward, if we know those dates, will it work at Huntington Park?
Extending it was more important than where the finals were going to be played at.

I think you are looking too much into their wording.

There is no reason to not go back to Columbus if the dates work with the Clippers in future years.
Old 01-18-19, 01:18 PM
All Yappi

Totally agree about extending the season. My assumption is it's a 1-year fix, but the wording just sounded odd.

Now the main decision my wife and I have to make is whether or not we get a hotel with 20 minute drive or no hotel with 50 minute drive. ... She wants hotel, so I guess we're getting a hotel.

Last edited by thePITman; 01-18-19 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-18-19, 02:57 PM
All World

AllSports12 will become famous soon enough
The Clippers' organization and the International League have been very accommodating with scheduling so that HP can host the Tournament.'

My bet would be that this is a "this year" move. (all while keeping options open)
Old 02-14-19, 08:43 AM
All Ohio

radiodaveagain is an unknown quantity at this point
Finally, It's Official - OHSAA Baseball Championships To Be Moved To Akron

Finally, It's Official - OHSAA Baseball Championships To Be Moved To Akron
https://statelinesportsnetwork.net/2019/01/18/according-to-a-twitter-posting-ohsaa-baseball-championships-to-be-moved-to-akron
Old 02-14-19, 08:56 AM
All Ohio

AnUnbiasedOpinion is on a distinguished road
Hope this is 1 year move. Adds ~1 hour each way to my travel. There's nothing that any reasonable baseball venue can add to make it worth the additional travel IMO.
Old 02-14-19, 10:06 AM
All Yappi

Official press release from the OHSAA today: https://www.ohsaa.org/news-media/art...urnament-Sites
Old 02-14-19, 11:51 AM
All World

hubman is on a distinguished road
Story in Akron Beacon Journal

https://www.ohio.com/sports/20190214...ying-in-canton
Old 02-15-19, 07:25 AM
All District

frs1930 is an unknown quantity at this point
Outstanding decision by the OHSAA. Canal Park is a great venue. Parking during the day shouldn't be an issue. There is more than just one garage. The akron children's garage is in right field and huge municipal garage right across the street. Plus tons of on street parking.