Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Closed Thread

Old 06-08-17, 10:05 AM
All American

Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Phillips wasn't going to be happy on this team on the bench. On a team full of young guys, they don't need that type of toxicity. I'm starting to wonder how much you actually know about the Reds.

It was a good trade.
That's Price's job to deal with. That's what managers do.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-17, 10:06 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
I bet you are.
Absolutely, they were able to give Peraza more playing time and acquire Gennett as well. Two young guys who will contribute far more than Phillips over the next 5-10 yrs.
Old 06-08-17, 10:07 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Price probably knows more than you and recommended trading him. Good call.
Old 06-08-17, 10:10 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Absolutely, they were able to give Peraza more playing time and acquire Gennett as well. Two young guys who will contribute far more than Phillips over the next 5-10 yrs.
Not surprisingly you've missed the point entirely. Phillips was replaced by Alcantara, not Gennett or Peraza. Alcantara performs worse for more money than Phillips. That makes it a bad trade.
Old 06-08-17, 10:12 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Um he did.
Old 06-08-17, 10:13 AM
All World

Quote:
Phillips was replaced by Alcantara,
Nope.
Old 06-08-17, 10:15 AM
All American

Quote:
Price probably knows more than you and recommended trading him. Good call.
I certainly hopes he knows more about this team than me. It is his job after all.
If he reccommened to have Phillips traded because of fear of clubhouse issues then he isn't doing his job. Players don't have to like their roles, just do them.
Old 06-08-17, 10:17 AM
All American

Quote:
Nope.
Sure he was. Alcantara plays 2b as a backup. Same thing Phillips should have been doing.
Old 06-08-17, 10:19 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Not surprisingly you've missed the point entirely. Phillips was replaced by Alcantara, not Gennett or Peraza. Alcantara performs worse for more money than Phillips. That makes it a bad trade.
Roster spot, but not playing time.

Gennett's played 2b in 23 games; Alcantara has played second in 6 games. It's pretty clear trading Phillips opened up time for Gennett at 2b this year.
Old 06-08-17, 10:21 AM
All American

Quote:
Um he did.
So Price is the one who traded him? I thought Dick Williams was the GM. I'm starting to wonder how much you know about Reds baseball.
Old 06-08-17, 10:22 AM
All American

Quote:
Roster spot, but not playing time.
Playing time is determined by the Manager not the player.
Old 06-08-17, 10:28 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Playing time is determined by the Manager not the player.
So are you griping the Reds didn't have Phillips for those 6 games Alcantara played 2b? That seems kinda stupid.
Old 06-08-17, 10:33 AM
All World

Quote:
I certainly hopes he knows more about this team than me. It is his job after all.
If he reccommened to have Phillips traded because of fear of clubhouse issues then he isn't doing his job. Players don't have to like their roles, just do them.
Nope, actually that his is job.
Old 06-08-17, 10:35 AM
All World

Quote:
Sure he was. Alcantara plays 2b as a backup. Same thing Phillips should have been doing.
So let me get this straight. You'd be perfectly fine with the Reds keeping Phillips as a back up because he's hitting 0.297? You wouldn't be complaining that he's a back up and not a starter? You're so full of it.
Old 06-08-17, 10:35 AM
All World

Quote:
So Price is the one who traded him? I thought Dick Williams was the GM. I'm starting to wonder how much you know about Reds baseball.
Well you'd have a great point if that's what I said. He dealt with it by recommending the trade. You're starting to rival 14Red for dumbest poster, congrats.
Old 06-08-17, 10:43 AM
All World

14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
There were two main reasons for trading Phillips (and remember I wanted to keep Phillips):
1. Jose Peraza needs to play major league baseball. Putting him in LVille another season wouldn't have made sense. The rebuild is on and having a 35 year old 2nd baseman made no sense.

2. It would not have worked with BP as a platoon role (like Alcantra/ Gennett) He wants to play everyday. I also think there is an unspoken issue with BP in the clubhouse. We saw the selfie taking/ smiling guy that loved to play everyday. I think in the clubhouse he was a loner, kept to himself and did not mix well with the other guys. Evidence by him publicly criticizing the team last weekend for giving away his number 4 already. He also balked at any on field presentations the club was planning like they did with Jay Bruce last year. At some point players need to realize it's time to move on. BP didn't show much class last weekend, IMO, and I'm a fan of his.
Old 06-08-17, 10:54 AM
All Ohio

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Why would Phillips take Peraza's playing time? Nothing says that Phillips had to start. Alcantara is getting Phillips playing time as a bench player. Alcantara has worse numbers for more money.

It was a bad trade.
Wait, you started the argument that this was a bad trade because BP is having a very productive season. But then you turn it into a salary discussion, and then you say he could have stayed on the bench? Are you drunk or mentally handicapped? If he is on the bench what is the point of his productivity in the argument?

You missed the entire point. 14Red started to get it right, then he turned it into "drama in the locker room", which no professional or grown up gives a rats tail about. Here is the point:

- off season the Reds know they are in full blown rebuild mode
- rebuilds do not include 35 year old 2B that over overpriced
- Peraza needs to play every day
- Reds did not expect to be in the hunt like they are. If they did, they may have kept BP around.

It was a smart trade. You are not a smart person.
Old 06-08-17, 10:55 AM
All American

Quote:
So are you griping the Reds didn't have Phillips for those 6 games Alcantara played 2b? That seems kinda stupid.
No, I'm griping about how dumb of a trade it was. It didn't make sense from a performance or business point of view.
That makes it a bad trade.
Old 06-08-17, 11:01 AM
All American

Quote:
So let me get this straight. You'd be perfectly fine with the Reds keeping Phillips as a back up because he's hitting 0.297? You wouldn't be complaining that he's a back up and not a starter? You're so full of it.
I would have benched Phillips last season in favor of Peraza for two reasons. 1) Peraza needed the playing time as he is the future 2) because Phillips refused to be traded in the previous off-season. I would have made it clear to him and any other 5/10 guy that they don't have the leverage they think they do.

Basically the Reds allowed Phillips to control the situation and ended up paying him to play elsewhere. Cutting him would have been a better move than trading him.

It was a bad trade.
Old 06-08-17, 11:02 AM
All Yappi

Alcantara has a whole 18 at-bats while playing second base this year. Apparently indianadad thinks it was dumb to trade Phillips because of those at-bats. You can't make up this kind of stupidity.
Old 06-08-17, 11:03 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I would have benched Phillips last season in favor of Peraza for two reasons. 1) Peraza needed the playing time as he is the future 2) because Phillips refused to be traded in the previous off-season. I would have made it clear to him and any other 5/10 guy that they don't have the leverage they think they do.

Basically the Reds allowed Phillips to control the situation and ended up paying him to play elsewhere. Cutting him would have been a better move than trading him.

It was a bad trade.
Old 06-08-17, 11:10 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
Wait, you started the argument that this was a bad trade because BP is having a very productive season. But then you turn it into a salary discussion, and then you say he could have stayed on the bench? Are you drunk or mentally handicapped? If he is on the bench what is the point of his productivity in the argument?

You missed the entire point. 14Red started to get it right, then he turned it into "drama in the locker room", which no professional or grown up gives a rats tail about. Here is the point:

- off season the Reds know they are in full blown rebuild mode
- rebuilds do not include 35 year old 2B that over overpriced
- Peraza needs to play every day
- Reds did not expect to be in the hunt like they are. If they did, they may have kept BP around.

It was a smart trade. You are not a smart person.
The Reds benefited in no way from that trade. Peraza could have gotten playing time regardless of Phillips.
Cutting Phillips would have had the same effect for playing time and essentially financially but a far longer and deeper impact on 5/10 players wanting to exercise their no trade clause.

The statistical part of my argument was to show the hypocrisy of the argument of others regarding certain players. Some posters just think the name on the back of the jersey is all that matters. They'll argue that stats matter for some players but not for others. That's Stupid.

Of course those posters obliged.

The fact you can't see that hypocrisy is not surprising.
Old 06-08-17, 11:12 AM
All American

Quote:
Alcantara has a whole 18 at-bats while playing second base this year. Apparently indianadad thinks it was dumb to trade Phillips because of those at-bats. You can't make up this kind of stupidity.
At no point in this thread did I say that.
Old 06-08-17, 11:22 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
At no point in this thread did I say that.
Of course you did, you even made the point that Alcantara took his spot and should be the guy to compare Phillips to. You certainly didn't want to compare him to Gennett whose 27 games at 2b would be what Phillips would get (+Alcantara's 6) if he were the backup.
Old 06-08-17, 11:34 AM
All American

Quote:
Of course you did, you even made the point that Alcantara took his spot and should be the guy to compare Phillips to. You certainly didn't want to compare him to Gennett whose 27 games at 2b would be what Phillips would get (+Alcantara's 6) if he were the backup.
Alcantara is the last position player on the roster (non catcher), Phillips was traded for essentially no net financial gain. His spot was therefore filled by Alcantara.

I said nothing about his at bats.
Old 06-08-17, 11:36 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Alcantara is the last position player on the roster (non catcher), Phillips was traded for essentially no net financial gain. His spot was therefore filled by Alcantara.

I said nothing about his at bats.
that's not even a good dodge of semantics.
Old 06-08-17, 11:43 AM
All American

EP wants a player to leadoff that has an OBP of .350 as long as it isn't Phillips whom the Reds are paying to play for the Braves. He would rather it be Peraza who has a .280 OBP. Peraza had a good month of May which is good enough for EP. However when Cozart has a good year his numbers will revert back to sucking so know one will want him.
So it is ok for one player to improve and not another?
Try using a consistent argument.
Old 06-08-17, 11:46 AM
All World

Welp, 14Red has passed on the torch. I hope to see IndianDad in other parts of Yappi too
Old 06-08-17, 11:47 AM
All World

Quote:
EP wants a player to leadoff that has an OBP of .350 as long as it isn't Phillips whom the Reds are paying to play for the Braves. He would rather it be Peraza who has a .280 OBP. Peraza had a good month of May which is good enough for EP. However when Cozart has a good year his numbers will revert back to sucking so know one will want him.
So it is ok for one player to improve and not another?
Try using a consistent argument.
A 23 year old who will, almost certainly, improve vs. a 31 year old who is on a hot streak and will revert to the back of his baseball card.
Old 06-08-17, 11:53 AM
All American

Quote:
A 23 year old who will, almost certainly, improve vs. a 31 year old who is on a hot streak and will revert to the back of his baseball card.
Cozart was once that "young" guy who struggled to hit. He improved, got seriously injured and is now healthy.

I guess Cozart wasn't eligible to improve, just "get hot".
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: