Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-26-17, 04:17 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Now this is cool. Using 3D Biological printing techniques they may be able to manufacture organs to order. Even better it will be fast AND cheap:

http://www.economist.com/news/scienc...organs-scratch

This could go a long way towards reducing the problem of organ damage due to long-term exposure to space.
Old 01-26-17, 04:25 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
I assume without reading this would require stem cells.
Old 01-26-17, 05:08 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
I assume without reading this would require stem cells.
I believe adult stem cells will do. Of course with continuing advances in nano-bioengineering we'll be making artificial stem cells sooner than you think.
Old 01-26-17, 08:45 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
I believe adult stem cells will do.
Well Yeah, duh, if you want an organ worth having.
Old 01-27-17, 12:28 AM
All Region

Max Grumbleman is on a distinguished road
http://www.sciencealert.com/hydrogen...irst-time-ever

Quote:
It's real: Metallic hydrogen has been created for the first time
Hydrogen is now a metal.

More than 80 years after it was first predicted, physicists have created metallic hydrogen - a mysterious form of hydrogen that could be capable of superconducting electricity without resistance at room temperature.
Quote:
This isn't just exciting as a proof-of-concept in the physics world - although it's definitely that. Metallic hydrogen has been the source of so much speculation over the years because it's predicted to have some incredible properties.

Most importantly, physicists think that metallic hydrogen could be a room-temperature superconductor, which would mean the material could conduct electricity with zero resistance - and without having to be cooled to crazy temperatures first.

We know of many superconducting materials already - we use them to create the powerful magnetic fields in our MRI machines and in maglev trains - but they're only capable of achieving superconductivity at temperatures below –269 degrees Celsius (–452.2 degrees Fahrenheit), which makes them expensive and non-practical for many purposes.

If scientists could achieve that same superconductivity at room temperature, it would be huge, because it means we could create things like power lines that don't lose any electricity between the power plant and your home. Right now, the grid loses as much as 15 percent of its energy as heat, due to resistance.
Quote:
Silvera says that it's also likely that metallic hydrogen could be metastable - which means that even if you release the pressure it will remain metallic.

A common example of a metastable material is diamond, which is a metastable form of carbon. To make diamond, you put graphite under incredible pressure and heat - something that happens naturally deep below Earth's surface.

But even when you dig diamonds up out of the ground, they remain diamonds.
Biggest breakthrough of the 21st century?

Last edited by Max Grumbleman; 01-27-17 at 12:47 AM.
Old 01-27-17, 09:52 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Grumbleman View Post
http://www.sciencealert.com/hydrogen...irst-time-ever

Biggest breakthrough of the 21st century?
If it's confirmed and made practical it could well be the biggest breakthrough of the 21st century.

The mind boggles at the possibilities that open up if you can obtain ROOM TEMPERATURE super conduction in a STABLE material.
Old 01-27-17, 10:16 AM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Another article about turning hydrogen into metal

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017...-into-a-metal/

They seem to be taking a more temperate approach

Quote:
One result they do have is that there was no change in appearance even as they allowed the sample to warm up to 83K. That's intriguing, because some theoretical work has suggested that metallic hydrogen could be metastable, meaning it will remain metallic even as the pressure and temperature that forced it there is released. That will definitely be something worth checking into in more detail. Other calculations suggest it will be superconducting, but that hasn't been looked at yet at all.

These sorts of details will probably have to wait until we've overcome what the authors term a "looming challenge"—producing metallic hydrogen in sufficient quantities to study it in detail.

It requires diamonds to withstand the pressure required to turn hydrogen to metal ... and even diamonds are failing at such high pressures

Quote:
All of these high-pressure studies rely on what are called diamond anvils. This hardware places small samples between two diamonds, which are hard enough to stand up to extreme pressure. As the diamonds are forced together, the pressure keeps going up.

they also came to a separate realization: normal diamonds weren't up to the task. "Diamond failure," they note, "is the principal limitation for achieving the required pressures to observe SMH

So 80 years ago when this prediction was made they calculated it would take 25 GigaPascals to force the transition to metal (1 GigaPascal = 10,000 atmospheres of pressure). Turns out they were way off. It took between 465 and 495 GigaPascals to achieve this
Old 01-27-17, 10:33 AM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Since this thread seems to have trailed off into multiple paths, this is something that I've always been curious about. I think with how quickly technology is advancing, and how it keeps advancing at a faster rate, I think it's possible that one day the idea of "resources" will be irrelevant. There may come a time where we have infinite resources in some way, shape, or form. So what happens then? How does that change governments, our idea of countries, wars, etc.? It seems as if our entire history revolves around gathering resources so that we can advance as a species, and as smaller groups. I wonder if we would even know what to do with ourselves if that time comes.
Old 01-27-17, 10:48 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
Since this thread seems to have trailed off into multiple paths, this is something that I've always been curious about. I think with how quickly technology is advancing, and how it keeps advancing at a faster rate, I think it's possible that one day the idea of "resources" will be irrelevant. There may come a time where we have infinite resources in some way, shape, or form. So what happens then? How does that change governments, our idea of countries, wars, etc.? It seems as if our entire history revolves around gathering resources so that we can advance as a species, and as smaller groups. I wonder if we would even know what to do with ourselves if that time comes.
I think this stuff is relevant to the discussion in that these scientific breakthroughs on a number of fronts will reach a critical mass that will suddenly begin being applied to serious space exploration and colonization.

I think you are right that some day we will create resources rather than gather them. This will be the point that we have learned to manipulate physics such that future societies will practice what is to our eyes "magic" (the old Arthur C. Clark comment on any sufficiently advanced technology looking like magic to us). And from a political, economic & cultural standpoint that society will look very different than ours does today.

But I don't think we will reach this level of technology in a great leap. Instead it will be more like climbing a ladder. The next step is to colonize the solar system which will allow us to gather it's riches and exploit it's resources on a scale never before imaginable. It will be this resource rich environment which will be the foundation for our push to the stars and into an even richer resource environment. At that point we will probably be in a position to make the leap forward you describe.
Old 01-27-17, 01:52 PM
All Yappi

Infinite resources doesn't seem possible unless you can find a way to recycle things by breaking them down into subatomic particles to "reassembe" them into the desired material.
Old 01-27-17, 01:57 PM
All Yappi

A lot of things throughout history never seemed possible. And yet, here we are.
Old 01-27-17, 02:05 PM
All Yappi

It's more about the laws of physics. We can't create infinite resources because there isn't infinite matter/energy available in the universe. Recycling used materials would be a great help though
Old 01-27-17, 02:07 PM
All Yappi

How do we know there isn't an infinite amount of energy out there? Genuinely curious.
Old 01-27-17, 02:25 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
It's more about the laws of physics. We can't create infinite resources because there isn't infinite matter/energy available in the universe. Recycling used materials would be a great help though
The laws of physics are being rewritten as we speak. The manipulation of quantum states, sub atomic particles and forces we haven't even discovered yet will drive the types of breakthroughs Ronnie describes. IMO it's not a question of IF this happens it's a question of WHEN.
Old 01-27-17, 02:33 PM
All Yappi

You're suggesting we'll be able to put matter into existence from nothing?
Old 01-27-17, 02:34 PM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
How do we know there isn't an infinite amount of energy out there? Genuinely curious.
There may be infinite resources in an infinite spacetime ... but the real issue we face is the vast (unreachable) distances between them
Old 01-27-17, 02:43 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
You're suggesting we'll be able to put matter into existence from nothing?
Yes. Until we know for sure there are limits I wouldn't presume to place any limits on the physical universe. What we have learned in just the last 20 years is amazing beyond belief. I suspect the next 20 years will really blow our socks off.
Old 01-27-17, 02:43 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
There may be infinite resources in an infinite spacetime ... but the real issue we face is the vast (unreachable) distances between them
That's true, but one can assume that as long as we make it long enough as a species we will be travelling those long distances some day.
Old 01-27-17, 02:48 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
Even these distances may not be as far as we think. Maybe we'll travel from point A to point B through "folds" in space that provide "alternate" distances between points a & b. Or we'll figure out how to exceed the speed of light and reduce the distance that way or we'll radically extend human lifespans to reduce the perception of the distance (if I live for 10,000 years a journey of 100 years is not so bad).

And who knows what other ways we'll figure out to overthrow the tyranny of distance. I'm just bummed out I won't be around to see them.
Old 01-27-17, 02:52 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Yes. Until we know for sure there are limits I wouldn't presume to place any limits on the physical universe. What we have learned in just the last 20 years is amazing beyond belief. I suspect the next 20 years will really blow our socks off.
In your mindset we'd never be sure of the limits. The conservation of energy makes it pretty simple to understand: finite energy and matter exists in the universe.
Old 01-27-17, 02:57 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
In your mindset we'd never be sure of the limits. The conservation of energy makes it pretty simple to understand: finite energy and matter exists in the universe.
I posted this link earlier but these guys are suggesting that the conservation of energy may not hold.

http://www.sciencealert.com/new-stud...t-us-realising

In fact once you have an exception to a rule in physics, it's no longer a rule. If this work is confirmed and that theory further supported than "conservation of energy" no longer applies in some situations.
Old 01-27-17, 03:07 PM
All Yappi

Dark energy and dark matter haven't even been confirmed as real. We really do not know much about this at all. Basing anything off of it is pointless.
Old 01-27-17, 03:16 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Dark energy and dark matter haven't even been confirmed as real. We really do not know much about this at all. Basing anything off of it is pointless.
Your first two sentences are true but I disagree with your last one. Sure it's all theoretical right now but as they learn what dark matter & dark energy are (assuming they exist) and better understand their properties I suspect the foundation of physics will be rattled. And that will only be the tip of the iceberg at what they find over the next century.
Old 01-27-17, 04:01 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
We don't know much about it at all, and yet you claim with absolute certainty that finite energy and matter exist.
Old 01-27-17, 04:26 PM
All Yappi

I'm certain that you cannot put something into existence from nothing. There can be infinite resources if there's an infinite universe. Since, there's no evidence for the universe being infinite, I don't see any reason to make that assumption.
Old 01-27-17, 05:59 PM
All Yappi

Based on our understanding of physics, I agree. But like lotr said, we could be way off as far as our idea of how the rest of the universe works. It seems sort of silly with how very little we know and have explored that anyone would say with certainty that the rest of the universe follows the same rules of physics that we have "discovered".
Old 01-27-17, 07:02 PM
All American

domi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Even these distances may not be as far as we think. Maybe we'll travel from point A to point B through "folds" in space that provide "alternate" distances between points a & b. Or we'll figure out how to exceed the speed of light and reduce the distance that way or we'll radically extend human lifespans to reduce the perception of the distance (if I live for 10,000 years a journey of 100 years is not so bad).

And who knows what other ways we'll figure out to overthrow the tyranny of distance. I'm just bummed out I won't be around to see them.
I think it's only a matter of time before we either discover something that travels faster than the speed of light, tachyons maybe, or figure out why things can travel faster than light in water.
Old 01-28-17, 08:33 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by domi View Post
I think it's only a matter of time before we either discover something that travels faster than the speed of light, tachyons maybe, or figure out why things can travel faster than light in water.
Here's a nice (if a bit long) summary of things that that can travel faster than light:

http://www.sciencealert.com/these-4-...speed-of-light

An intriguing one for me is the concept of quantum entanglement:

"If I have two electrons close together, they can vibrate in unison, according to the quantum theory," Kaku explains on Big Think. Now, separate those two electrons so that they're hundreds or even thousands of light years apart, and they will keep this instant communication bridge open.

"If I jiggle one electron, the other electron 'senses' this vibration instantly, faster than the speed of light. Einstein thought that this therefore disproved the quantum theory, since nothing can go faster than light," Kaku wrote.

I'm betting this will be the key to unlocking faster than light travel.
Old 01-28-17, 07:27 PM
All Ohio

JoshuaRanch is an unknown quantity at this point
Gotta laugh, show up here after a few months and nothing changes. Professor Lotr educating and schooling everyone. And everyone on the thread confirming and affirming and suddenly agreeing with the same information Lotr and I were yacking about 2 months ago. EM, hybersleep, environment equivalency for space, worm holes. Suddenly someone named Blackhawk is agreeing with everything I wrote,actually admitting he or she needed to catch up on the science and science fiction. And Lotr's even quoting Kaku with some new alternative of quantum mechanics to actually go faster then the speed of light. But hey, that's par for the course. I can imagine the Star Wars thread the same, posters eventually emulating what I wrote, after giving me the what for. Again, par for the course when dealing with large practical intelligence gaps. The lower the practical intelligence, the more the propensity to self incrimination, it just happens, posters step on their own tongues. And old EP still doling out his 20 posts a day, goal is to reach 100,000 posts about nothingness before the end of the decade. One thing's for sure, he'll accomplish that before we set foot on Mars. And by the way EP, making posts 20 times a day doesn't change the fact that you're still dumb. You were dumb 2 months ago, you are dumb now, you'll be dumb in the future. Nothing will change that. And you can try your best to try not to be dumb, but you're still dumb. Sorry Dr Xavier for spoiling your Yappi Princess gig, I know it hurts. As well as all the other dumb guys on here. Sorry, you're dumb. Don't get mad at me because its true. And now here it comes - nickname, sarcasm, bag comment, reference to Hooters (now that is funny, even I smile and laugh at it, even though it did happen). But in the end EP you're going to wake up dumb tomorrow morning, and there's not much you can do about it. Now all of you go over to the snowflake with the 30,000 posts who went on a posting tear for about a week 2 months ago about mystic geology as part of a matrix existence thread (okey doke).
Old 01-28-17, 08:40 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaRanch View Post
Gotta laugh, show up here after a few months and nothing changes. Professor Lotr educating and schooling everyone. And everyone on the thread confirming and affirming and suddenly agreeing with the same information Lotr and I were yacking about 2 months ago. EM, hybersleep, environment equivalency for space, worm holes. Suddenly someone named Blackhawk is agreeing with everything I wrote,actually admitting he or she needed to catch up on the science and science fiction. And Lotr's even quoting Kaku with some new alternative of quantum mechanics to actually go faster then the speed of light. But hey, that's par for the course. I can imagine the Star Wars thread the same, posters eventually emulating what I wrote, after giving me the what for. Again, par for the course when dealing with large practical intelligence gaps. The lower the practical intelligence, the more the propensity to self incrimination, it just happens, posters step on their own tongues. And old EP still doling out his 20 posts a day, goal is to reach 100,000 posts about nothingness before the end of the decade. One thing's for sure, he'll accomplish that before we set foot on Mars. And by the way EP, making posts 20 times a day doesn't change the fact that you're still dumb. You were dumb 2 months ago, you are dumb now, you'll be dumb in the future. Nothing will change that. And you can try your best to try not to be dumb, but you're still dumb. Sorry Dr Xavier for spoiling your Yappi Princess gig, I know it hurts. As well as all the other dumb guys on here. Sorry, you're dumb. Don't get mad at me because its true. And now here it comes - nickname, sarcasm, bag comment, reference to Hooters (now that is funny, even I smile and laugh at it, even though it did happen). But in the end EP you're going to wake up dumb tomorrow morning, and there's not much you can do about it. Now all of you go over to the snowflake with the 30,000 posts who went on a posting tear for about a week 2 months ago about mystic geology as part of a matrix existence thread (okey doke).
pretty dumb post.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: