Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Rate the movie "First Man"
10 0 0%
9 1 25.00%
8 3 75.00%
7 0 0%
6 0 0%
5 0 0%
4 0 0%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-18, 01:43 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
"First Man"

Rate and review the movie "First Man"

A look at the life of the astronaut, Neil Armstrong, and the legendary space mission that led him to become the first man to walk on the Moon on July 20, 1969.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-18, 01:48 PM
All World

Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
After hearing about the anti-American sentiment in this, I won't be seeing it.

Old 10-12-18, 02:39 PM
All World

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
I'm going to see it tomorrow with my son. I'll let you know if the Anti american sentiment is overblown.
Old 10-12-18, 02:51 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
First movie I have looked forward to recently.
Old 10-12-18, 03:41 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Unfortunately will be boycotting because they don't show the American flag enough.
Old 10-12-18, 08:34 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
I'd like to say it wouldn't but this flag nonsense would take me completely out of the movie.

I'll watch it on Netflix in five years.
Old 10-13-18, 05:03 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
I will be boycotting this flick because they have deliberately omitted Neil saying "Good luck, Mr. Gorsky" after he stepped onto the moon's surface.

No, not really.

Actually, I'm very interested in seeing this. The space program in general and the steps involved in putting men on the moon was an integral part of my childhood. Other than the brief portrayal of him in "The Right Stuff" as the consummate engineer/nerd, I've not read anything about Armstrong before. Probably should should check out a biography at the library first.
Old 10-14-18, 09:02 AM
All World

I liked it. Lots of good background on Armstrong that I never knew, like how the death of his daughter had a big influence on his life. The flag was not an issue saw it plenty of times on the rocket, uniforms etc. I believe it was also shown from a distance on the moon. They mixed in some pro American reaction from around the world as well for instance a French woman stating that "she knew that america could do this" (or something along those lines). It was anything but Anti American, I thought it was pro w/o going overboard. Also have a new found respect for the bravery of those astronauts, the whole project was a very risky.
Old 10-14-18, 01:32 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
So you're telling me the Patriotic Justice Warriors overreacted? I don't believe it.
Old 10-14-18, 06:13 PM
All Yappi

Southwest Guy is on a distinguished road
Good movie. Worth the time invested.
Old 10-14-18, 07:19 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
So you're telling me the Patriotic Justice Warriors overreacted? I don't believe it.
There's a name for everything.

It's a movie. Why should someone be judged because they don't want to watch it, for whatever the reason? Is there a mandate in this country that someone has to pay for a movie they dont feel will entertain them?

The Flag scene is iconic to many. I can see where the lack of that scene, would be distracting, much as the discussion is to me. It was kind of the whole point of the trip. Some might not like a gloss over of Armstrong's "mistake" when he stepped onto the moon. BTW: did they address that?
Old 10-14-18, 08:48 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
I saw it tonight with my wife. There were two other people in the entire theater. Thought it was very well done. They interjected a little piece of fiction into Armstrong's time on the moon that was wholly unnecessary, but other than that, it was very good.

Those guys were focused solid men.
Old 10-15-18, 08:39 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
I saw it tonight with my wife. There were two other people in the entire theater. Thought it was very well done. They interjected a little piece of fiction into Armstrong's time on the moon that was wholly unnecessary, but other than that, it was very good.

Those guys were focused solid men.
so the bracelet thingy? I was wondering about that.
Old 10-15-18, 09:17 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin20 View Post
so the bracelet thingy? I was wondering about that.
SPOILER ALERT-

Yes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/histo...=.ea5106e4ddfb
Old 10-15-18, 09:30 AM
All World

well it was a nice touch.
Old 10-15-18, 09:37 AM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
I'm definitely seeing it...I'll probably just being my own flag to the theater.
Old 10-15-18, 10:22 AM
All Yappi

TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
There's a name for everything.

It's a movie. Why should someone be judged because they don't want to watch it, for whatever the reason? Is there a mandate in this country that someone has to pay for a movie they dont feel will entertain them?
I don't care if people watch or don't watch the movie, but if your reason for not watching is made up, you open yourself up to criticism.

Quote:
The Flag scene is iconic to many. I can see where the lack of that scene, would be distracting, much as the discussion is to me. It was kind of the whole point of the trip. Some might not like a gloss over of Armstrong's "mistake" when he stepped onto the moon. BTW: did they address that?
Technically the stated mission was to land a man on the moon and return him safely to earth.
Old 10-15-18, 06:23 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
I don't care if people watch or don't watch the movie, but if your reason for not watching is made up, you open yourself up to criticism.

Technically the stated mission was to land a man on the moon and return him safely to earth.
Technically the stated mission was political. It was to one-up the Soviets. It was to plant the flag on the moon. Without that, it doesn't get funded. If they'd said up-front. "Hey, we're going to try and land a man on the moon but you know, we just don't think it right to plant the flag," you think that program in that era gets a dime? Of course the goal was to plant the flag every bit as much as any conquering nation.

I'm not sure what you mean by "made up?" They do show the flag being planted?
Old 10-15-18, 06:34 PM
All Yappi

TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Technically the stated mission was political. It was to one-up the Soviets. It was to plant the flag on the moon. Without that, it doesn't get funded. If they'd said up-front. "Hey, we're going to try and land a man on the moon but you know, we just don't think it right to plant the flag," you think that program in that era gets a dime? Of course the goal was to plant the flag every bit as much as any conquering nation.
No technically the stated mission is exactly what I said. I realize the entire thing was political, but if everything plays out exactly the same and a flag isn't planted, we still one-up the Soviets.

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by "made up?" They do show the flag being planted?
The criticism was that the movie was anti-American.
Old 10-15-18, 06:52 PM
All World

Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
They do show the flag being planted?
Why don't you just read Irwin's post which is like 3 above yours?
Old 10-15-18, 07:39 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
No technically the stated mission is exactly what I said. I realize the entire thing was political, but if everything plays out exactly the same and a flag isn't planted, we still one-up the Soviets.

The criticism was that the movie was anti-American.
That does seem a stretch for lack of one scene but I still think my scenario is correct. If you say the flag isn't planted, you don't get funded. I would bet also if the flag hadn't been planted, they next trip wouldn't have been funded. People weren't happy about paying for this as it was. This was a new way for government to spend that people weren't and still are not used to.
Old 10-16-18, 07:31 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin20 View Post
well it was a nice touch.
I thought it was a good enough story without interjecting an unnecessary piece of fiction. Still a good movie.
Old 10-17-18, 11:03 AM
All Yappi

BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
This kinda bombed. May put a damper on its Oscar chances
Old 10-21-18, 11:45 AM
All World

WestSideBomber is on a distinguished road
Saw this the other day and I thought it was great. I don't think I've ever felt so claustrophobic watching a movie before. Chazelle and his DP did an outstanding job of creating a visual tone and using it to their storytelling advantage. As far as awards go, I think it will compete with "MI: Fallout" for most of the technical awards and I think Gosling and Foy will (deservedly) both be nominated for their very roles.
Old 10-21-18, 12:31 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
I thought it was a good enough story without interjecting an unnecessary piece of fiction. Still a good movie.
The script writers for "Hidden Figures" did the same thing, more than once.
Old 10-21-18, 03:14 PM
All Yappi

Termite2 will become famous soon enough
Quote:

Technically, it was to put an American on the moon, the We Choose To Go To The Moon speech by JFK. I dislike revisionist history that ignores the facts as they were at the time of an event. Planting a flag has historical significance; the planting of the flag on the moon was a big deal, an American achievement that had worldwide significance.
When Gagarin was the first to go into space, it was a Russian achievement and gave the impetus to the US to put a man on the moon.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: