Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-15-17, 02:38 PM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Public lobbying for a coaching change is so inappropriate at the high school level. (You have experience of that don't you my2sense?) Here's hoping the Blue Streaks can right the ship and avoid all that ugliness.
Old 10-15-17, 04:48 PM
All Ohio

Wrestling245 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreakoffice View Post
I am more objective then you realize. I am all in for Lake High Sports and am actively involved where you just make comments that are negative and based on what you think is happening. I also supported Jeff Durbin just as I am doing now....I don't remember how many times that conversations took place do to predictable play calling and issues on athleticism.....

It has been 18 seasons since the 1999 team which was one of Lake's best had a great run for 2 good years....so 2000 starts and now Lake is playing .500 in won and loss... 192 games....142 for Jeff Durbin (Jeff Durbin was 91 and 29 in the 90's a total of 120 games at 75% win average then was 50%, 72-70 with the next 142 games) and 50 for Dan DeGeorge....what has changed since 1999? You seem to want to blast one coach but not the other, what changed from 1999? People look at Lake and remember...well remembering the glory years is the 90's...the 1991 team members are now 44 years old...what changed?

McBride has had a great run and has become successful...name me another sport that has been successful that you are being vague with?
Just to answer your last question, lake had two wrestlers win state titles in wrestling in 2015. And also the cross country team has been highly successful placing at states along with basketball team being very successful as well.
Old 10-15-17, 06:31 PM
All American

Bluestreakoffice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrestling245 View Post
Just to answer your last question, lake had two wrestlers win state titles in wrestling in 2015. And also the cross country team has been highly successful placing at states along with basketball team being very successful as well.

How many wrestlers since 2000 have won state? How many cross country teams have been successful? You do realize that you are using individual achievements as an example. The football team had an amazing run in the 90's...my question that I am asking ...what changed from the 90's?

I have given numbers that show there was a change....even included an additional 8 years to try and boost the 2000's numbers...what changed? People want to look at coaching...lets look at numbers this way...there were 8 winning seasons, 5 losing seasons, 4 .500 seasons since 2000. Three of the winning seasons have been in the last 4 years and one .500 season...so in the last 4 years Lake has had a positive season.
Old 10-15-17, 09:35 PM
Freshman

Streak80 is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=Bluestreakoffice;6871767]How many wrestlers since 2000 have won state? How many cross country teams have been successful? You do realize that you are using individual achievements as an example.

Both the wrestling and cross country teams alway compete and represent Lake well. Yes, they have also struggled but they still have wrestlers and runners every year.
Tell the teammates of the wrestlers and cross country teams that went to the summer camps, wrestled with and against other teammates to not only improve themselves but their teammates that it is an individual sport.
Tell the cross country runners that put in miles during the summer and ran with their teammates that it is only an individual sport. I bet they have a different definition of "team". How does a wrestling coach or cross country coach motivate their teams and get buy-in of their programs? I'm sorry to say but it starts at the top. You will get the kids to play if they believe in the coach.
Old 10-15-17, 09:49 PM
All American

[QUOTE=Streak80;6871911]
Quote:
How many wrestlers since 2000 have won state? How many cross country teams have been successful? You do realize that you are using individual achievements as an example.

Both the wrestling and cross country teams alway compete and represent Lake well. Yes, they have also struggled but they still have wrestlers and runners every year.
Tell the teammates of the wrestlers and cross country teams that went to the summer camps, wrestled with and against other teammates to not only improve themselves but their teammates that it is an individual sport.
Tell the cross country runners that put in miles during the summer and ran with their teammates that it is only an individual sport. I bet they have a different definition of "team". How does a wrestling coach or cross country coach motivate their teams and get buy-in of their programs? I'm sorry to say but it starts at the top. You will get the kids to play if they believe in the coach.
Look at what I said....he mentioned state wrestlers...now tell me winning state in an individual weight class is not an individual accomplishment. Did he have to rely on 10 other players to make a play, no he didn't. In cross country they have individual places that count toward a team score...yet if one runner is very good he may place to get an individual award without his team qualifying...now tell me winning at state without his team is not an individual accomplishment.
Old 10-16-17, 05:50 AM
All Ohio

my2sense is an unknown quantity at this point
Are you seriously trying to favorably compare DeGeorge to Durbin? You sound silly. Durbin was a coach's coach, a man respected by players, parents and his peers.

And now you minimize the achievements of other Lake athletes and their coaches to help make your point? Stop while you're behind.
Old 10-16-17, 06:33 AM
All Yappi

perry1480 is on a distinguished road
Take it from a guy who watched Perry before during and after Wakefield left and then returned.... and admittedly not to the level of guys like Big Ed and Perry 67 but enough to see the difference.

The coach makes a difference. The attitude of the program from the top didn't give Perry the mindset needed to go out and play with the attitude needed to win games the way that Perry needs to win. So perhaps it's just that Wakefield is the right guy for the culture in the PTO, but my guess is that there's a right guy for the culture at Lake. Wake needed about 2.5 years to set it in motion... halfway thru 2015's season (ironically vs. Lake) was when I think the program turned the corner. Up until that point there were flashes of brilliance, but that's when I think it really happened.

I wish the best for Lake... always love the Blue Streaks.

Last edited by perry1480; 10-16-17 at 06:51 AM.
Old 10-16-17, 07:06 AM
All Ohio

[QUOTE=Bluestreakoffice;6871927]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streak80 View Post

Look at what I said....he mentioned state wrestlers...now tell me winning state in an individual weight class is not an individual accomplishment. Did he have to rely on 10 other players to make a play, no he didn't. In cross country they have individual places that count toward a team score...yet if one runner is very good he may place to get an individual award without his team qualifying...now tell me winning at state without his team is not an individual accomplishment.
Lol BSO, I truly respect you and your knowledge of lake, but I used the state titles just as small examples. Lakes wresting programs has been (besides Perry) the best in the county almost every year. They have multiple top 10 finishes as a team in the 2000s. This doesn't just happen through one or two guys, this is because of a TEAM. They, along with the cross country team have been great as a TEAM rather than just a few individuals. The year Lake had two state champs they also had 5 qualifiers. Thats not just two guys. Yes numbers can hurt a program, but you're acting as if all Lake sports are struggling which couldn't be further from the truth. The football program is not in a good place and like streak said, it starts at the top.
Old 10-16-17, 07:30 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
How many wrestlers since 2000 have won state? How many cross country teams have been successful? You do realize that you are using individual achievements as an example. The football team had an amazing run in the 90's...my question that I am asking ...what changed from the 90's?

I have given numbers that show there was a change....even included an additional 8 years to try and boost the 2000's numbers...what changed? People want to look at coaching...lets look at numbers this way...there were 8 winning seasons, 5 losing seasons, 4 .500 seasons since 2000. Three of the winning seasons have been in the last 4 years and one .500 season...so in the last 4 years Lake has had a positive season.
3 wrestlers have won states and between those 3 there have been 5 total state titles won. That's pretty impressive in a 17 year stretch. I don't quite understand the point you're trying to make. That goes alongside with either finishing runner up in the league almost every year, and being a top 10 team in the state multiple times and only two losing seasons as a team in 20 something years. So yes, as a team they have been highly successful. My point being once again, with great coaches comes great success. The wrestling, basketball and cross country program continue to be successful, and are successful in division 1 if I must say. I love Lake football, and I wouldn't be saying any of this if I didn't care. I just wanna see us back to at least a competitive level. That's all.
Old 10-16-17, 07:41 AM
All Yappi

perry1480 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
Public lobbying for a coaching change is so inappropriate at the high school level. (You have experience of that don't you my2sense?) Here's hoping the Blue Streaks can right the ship and avoid all that ugliness.
You're probably right, however in Stark County for better or worse, it's different. But if I'm a coach around here, who gives a rip what idiots on Yappi say?

And I would say by that standard that even talking about high school football in a freaking chat room also borders on inappropriate.

OTOH it's really easy for us to wax on and on from our cushy 50 yard line booster seats about the direction of the program when we don't touch it day by day. So it's actually quite true that it's somewhat inappropriate. But it's part of being a coach around here.
Old 10-16-17, 04:54 PM
All American

[QUOTE=Wrestling245;6872061]
Quote:

Lol BSO, I truly respect you and your knowledge of lake, but I used the state titles just as small examples. Lakes wresting programs has been (besides Perry) the best in the county almost every year. They have multiple top 10 finishes as a team in the 2000s. This doesn't just happen through one or two guys, this is because of a TEAM. They, along with the cross country team have been great as a TEAM rather than just a few individuals. The year Lake had two state champs they also had 5 qualifiers. Thats not just two guys. Yes numbers can hurt a program, but you're acting as if all Lake sports are struggling which couldn't be further from the truth. The football program is not in a good place and like streak said, it starts at the top.

Wrestling...I did not aim to make light of the accomplishments of wrestlers or cross country. I have kept asking a question which no one has answered or attempted....what is the difference. I have given numbers to show there is a difference...but why is there a difference. People gauge the results of Football higher then it should depending on the season. The 90's were the best Lake has ever had. Yet that head coach was then 72 and 70 for the 2000's....as of today Lake Football is 92 and 92 since 2000. That means for 18 years Lake has been average. Average as basketball (except the last 3 to 4 years), soccer, and baseball. I was comparing the Football team to those sports at Lake...no individual accomplishments in those sports.

People say it comes from the top....but if looked at very realistically over the last 18 years from the 90's does Lake Football pass the eye test? They sure didn't pass that test last Friday. I will never blast a Lake athlete....they are kids. But I will use information to try and explain what is happening from year to year....that is why people ask me questions on here. I will defend coaches from a statement based on incorrect information. I also will comment when posters use vague info to imply something that is not correct.

So I ask...what has changed since the 90's football teams? That question can best define a football team. I know the coaches have not given up on the season. People blast the play calling but lets be realistic.....there are plays that work one year and not the next...can it be one team can run it successfully where another can't. I can tell you this that the football staff is not doing the insanity theory ( doing something over and over again and expecting a change)...yet they have to find something the team can do and do it successfully....Now look back at my statement I make on a regular basis "you play with the kids you have." Do people take that statement and fully understand what it says? Do you think that a coaching staff with 4 former Lake players and 3 former head coaches is not doing everything available to be successful?

So....what has changed?

Last edited by Bluestreakoffice; 10-16-17 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-17-17, 02:35 PM
All District

Money Ball is an unknown quantity at this point
Lake is playing with what it has. The kids are playing hard, giving effort and they are coming up short. I am certain the coaches are putting in the time to try and take advantage of whatever they can of the opponents. Lake is not a really big team and they have been hampered by a significant injury at the QB position in week 2, that I believe made them switch to putting their best rb at QB for 4 or 5 weeks until the qb got back.

People can make excuses all they want, the bottom line is that Lake was not going to be very good this year and they are getting kids prepared for the next few years. It stink for the seniors that they are having a season like this, but unfortunately, these seasons happen and the program should be strong enough to rebound.
Old 10-17-17, 09:43 PM
All Ohio

starkfb
you are right money. Lake had 5 starters out with injuries against Perry.
Old 10-18-17, 02:20 PM
Freshman

Remark1 is on a distinguished road
Lake will be back. Bottom line is the talent is few and far between in the upper grades over there. Someone told me once that great players make a coach look like a genius.
Old 10-19-17, 03:19 PM
All Region

Dr.Rosenrosen is on a distinguished road
This is a difficult topic to discuss without speaking negatively about or toward young men or the men who spend a lot of time away from their families (with little to show for it other than they enjoy it) to help positively shape these young men. But many of us love Lake and enjoy when the team has success. That is OK and can be done respectfully, I think, if we keep it in perspective.

In saying that, I was won over 2 years ago by Coach DeGeorge and his staff. For anyone who traveled down to Worthington for the playoff game, they know Kilbourne had some 'dudes' on that team. Some kids who really looked the part and were talented. Several guys with college build, speed, athleticism, etc. No doubt we had talented guys too...I'm not taking that away from our team...but I think based on eye test, Kilbourne looked really strong. But we played better as a team and Kilbourne continually made week 1 through 3 type penalties and mistakes. Did Lake play the perfect game? No. But were we prepared? Yes. Did we maximize our potential? For the most part...certainly we did not underperform. Did we win? No, fell just shy but easily could've won. I'm not moral victory guy, but I did see a team that traveled to Columbus to play on a good team's home field and played well. I know it was a loss, but I felt really good about how prepared the team was for that game and how they performed. Maybe it's based on my expectations for that team - they weren't going to compete for a state championship - maybe you don't agree.

But I'll ask as well (and I have no ties or personal allegiance to anyone... coaches/players/otherwise):
In 2 years.... What has changed?
Old 10-19-17, 08:17 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Rosenrosen View Post
The level of confidence of the parents/players/community in this HC to be an exemplary leaders of their sons.
Old 10-19-17, 09:27 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
The level of confidence of the parents/players/community in this HC to be an exemplary leaders of their sons.

I don't agree with you and never have.
Old 10-19-17, 09:33 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Rosenrosen View Post
This is a difficult topic to discuss without speaking negatively about or toward young men or the men who spend a lot of time away from their families (with little to show for it other than they enjoy it) to help positively shape these young men. But many of us love Lake and enjoy when the team has success. That is OK and can be done respectfully, I think, if we keep it in perspective.

In saying that, I was won over 2 years ago by Coach DeGeorge and his staff. For anyone who traveled down to Worthington for the playoff game, they know Kilbourne had some 'dudes' on that team. Some kids who really looked the part and were talented. Several guys with college build, speed, athleticism, etc. No doubt we had talented guys too...I'm not taking that away from our team...but I think based on eye test, Kilbourne looked really strong. But we played better as a team and Kilbourne continually made week 1 through 3 type penalties and mistakes. Did Lake play the perfect game? No. But were we prepared? Yes. Did we maximize our potential? For the most part...certainly we did not underperform. Did we win? No, fell just shy but easily could've won. I'm not moral victory guy, but I did see a team that traveled to Columbus to play on a good team's home field and played well. I know it was a loss, but I felt really good about how prepared the team was for that game and how they performed. Maybe it's based on my expectations for that team - they weren't going to compete for a state championship - maybe you don't agree.

But I'll ask as well (and I have no ties or personal allegiance to anyone... coaches/players/otherwise):
Dr! You are still around! The Worthington game...awww man...on 4th down inside the 20 in the 4th qtr after a 16 play drive...called a pass to the tight end...a great play to call and the pass was just over thrown...make the play he walks into the end zone. The thrill and heartbreak of high school football.
It was a great game and effort all around....just ends suddenly after week 10.
Old 11-13-17, 09:17 PM
All Region

Old Blue
Angry

Quote:
As has been clearly pointed out by your more objective Lake fans - other sports are getting the athletes and coaching they need to succeed (see McBride). But football going the opposite direction. Your unwavering support of this coach is interesting. Your own Lake brethren don't understand it.
I know I'm chiming in late, but I have to agree. This coach simply does not measure up and I'm not confident at all that he will. I can count the number of games I've missed the last 23 years (including play-off games all over the state) on one hand. I attended 4-games this year and choose to occupy my Friday nights with something else solely because I knew we couldn't compete. I've heard allot of negatives about the goings on both on and off the field. (play calling, clock management, etc. etc. etc.) Most importantly is that there are allot of kids who might otherwise be suiting up and playing if not for the fact that they just don't want to play for this coach. That leave me to wonder what those that do suit up actually are thinking? So what is the PROBLEM???? I don't care how much certain posters on this site like this coach he's not getting the job done. That's right, no passing grade from me I'm afraid. So do we indeed want to change the culture and get back on track or do we want to continue down this path????? I can tell you this, if the current status continues come late next August I'm afraid I won't be wasting my time attending games next year either!
Old 11-13-17, 10:29 PM
All Ohio

Thank you. I've been hearing the same for two years. Some kids and their parents just don't connect with this coach on a personal/moral level. And morals and character are still very important to this community.
Old 11-16-17, 04:45 AM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
The amount of psychological projection that some engage in onto a community (because of fables about their high school football team, of all reasons) truly amazes me. DeGeorge has a moral failing? That's a heck of an accusation to levy against a man while behind an anonymous screenname. If he's immoral in some way that precludes him from coaching, then by all means name the charge if it is that serious.
Old 11-16-17, 10:21 AM
All World

afwpatfire is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson03 View Post
The amount of psychological projection that some engage in onto a community (because of fables about their high school football team, of all reasons) truly amazes me. DeGeorge has a moral failing? That's a heck of an accusation to levy against a man while behind an anonymous screenname. If he's immoral in some way that precludes him from coaching, then by all means name the charge if it is that serious.
First of all, he is not even a Lake fan.

I know what he is referring to and I will not speak about it here because it is a rumor about someoneís private life.

It is not something that would preclude him from coaching.

M2M seems to bring it up every time their are some grumbling at Lake. Not sure why he is so obsessed.
Old 11-16-17, 11:01 PM
All Ohio

How about if I correct your misrepresentation of what I know?

No obsession at all. Things have occurred that have reduced some parents and players faith in the current head coach. Don't take my word for it - talk to your fellow Blue Streak families.

That being said - I have never once revealed specifics or named names. Nor would I. Jax 3 is just trying to satisfy his curiosity. A public message board is not the place for such details. Jax3 - if you want to reveal someone's faults, go ahead and start with yours.

To sit back and want to enjoy others' dirty laundry and sit in judgment like you haven't erred - how Jackson of you.
Old 11-17-17, 01:07 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue View Post
I know I'm chiming in late, but I have to agree. This coach simply does not measure up and I'm not confident at all that he will. I can count the number of games I've missed the last 23 years (including play-off games all over the state) on one hand. I attended 4-games this year and choose to occupy my Friday nights with something else solely because I knew we couldn't compete. I've heard allot of negatives about the goings on both on and off the field. (play calling, clock management, etc. etc. etc.) Most importantly is that there are allot of kids who might otherwise be suiting up and playing if not for the fact that they just don't want to play for this coach. That leave me to wonder what those that do suit up actually are thinking? So what is the PROBLEM???? I don't care how much certain posters on this site like this coach he's not getting the job done. That's right, no passing grade from me I'm afraid. So do we indeed want to change the culture and get back on track or do we want to continue down this path????? I can tell you this, if the current status continues come late next August I'm afraid I won't be wasting my time attending games next year either!
You have 23 years...takes you back to mid 90's...you attended...you watched a 2 and half hour event...so using a 10 game season you committed a total of 24 hours a year. Since you have spent so much time once again....you from the 90's..what has changed? I keep asking this question yet not one answer or attempted answer. Lake has had 2 coaches for the 2000's and BOTH coaches are at a .500 win percentage..what has changed? It is easy to complain, easy to make a remark, easy to think you have made an effort...1 day of a whole year does not make an effort. So what has changed?

Last edited by Bluestreakoffice; 11-17-17 at 01:24 AM.
Old 11-17-17, 01:17 AM
All American

Quote:

No obsession at all. Things have occurred that have reduced some parents and players faith in the current head coach. Don't take my word for it - talk to your fellow Blue Streak families.

That being said - I have never once revealed specifics or named names. Nor would I. Jax 3 is just trying to satisfy his curiosity. A public message board is not the place for such details. Jax3 - if you want to reveal someone's faults, go ahead and start with yours.

To sit back and want to enjoy others' dirty laundry and sit in judgment like you haven't erred - how Jackson of you.
Once again I do not agree with you...you always use the innuendo.. if you say a public message board is no place for such details then it should be the same with the innuendo.
Old 11-17-17, 08:27 AM
All Ohio

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football 101 View Post
hoover lville
jax lake
mck green
perry ccc
go philly
mass dover

right we been down this road - doubt it ever happens - honestly it would be awesome and be great for all sports except football. Sure wrestling, track, cross, - sports that can have large invites it would be fun.

even baseball basketball volleyball softball you play a ton of games so you can do some different things with that.

but football seems to bring different thoughts by same people to the table. and who is to say all those schools would agree to that. I am saying its a long shot.

from a different thread - I am not a huge fan of a two tier deal - however - how would you posters feel about something like this? It would allow Lake and Perry freedom to schedule two more games they want?
Old 11-17-17, 09:01 PM
All World

Quote:

I am a Lake fan and have worked at the school in the past. The only place I have heard such rumors is on this site. Granted Iím not going around asking people, but I do talk sports with a lot of people in the community.
Old 11-17-17, 09:06 PM
All World

Quote:
You have 23 years...takes you back to mid 90's...you attended...you watched a 2 and half hour event...so using a 10 game season you committed a total of 24 hours a year. Since you have spent so much time once again....you from the 90's..what has changed? I keep asking this question yet not one answer or attempted answer. Lake has had 2 coaches for the 2000's and BOTH coaches are at a .500 win percentage..what has changed? It is easy to complain, easy to make a remark, easy to think you have made an effort...1 day of a whole year does not make an effort. So what has changed?
Why don’t you tell us? Because it appears we don’t know.

The revamped Federal League?
Technology? (Cell phones, video games)
Enrollment dropping (though not a huge change)?
Kids not being able to commit?
Concussions?
Kids being babied by their parents? (This is my guess)
Not playing barely any kids both ways? (Complete opposite of Durbin in his hay day)
Coaches being more like friends to the students than authority figures (this is evident to me through various avenues)

Those are my guesses.

Last edited by afwpatfire; 11-17-17 at 09:20 PM.
Old 11-17-17, 11:39 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwpatfire View Post
Why donít you tell us? Because it appears we donít know.

The revamped Federal League?
Technology? (Cell phones, video games)
Enrollment dropping (though not a huge change)?
Kids not being able to commit?
Concussions?
Kids being babied by their parents? (This is my guess)
Not playing barely any kids both ways? (Complete opposite of Durbin in his hay day)
Coaches being more like friends to the students than authority figures (this is evident to me through various avenues)

Those are my guesses.

There are three major things that have changed....enrollment drop of 80 boys on average compared to 1991 numbers...510 boys to 430..approx a 17% decrease...then you have this...1995 schedule..Ellet, Kenmore, Alliance, New Philly, Wooster, Hoover, GlenOak, Jackson, Perry, Ravenna...as compared to 2013 Green, Hudson, Olentangy Liberty, Jackson, McKinley, Hoover, Perry, GlenOak, Fitch (this game was out of conference), Boardman. Less boys of 17% shows up almost the same on the numbers on the football team...look at the numbers in the teams of the mid 90's to now, an approximate drop of 17%. Lake's first string was always as good as the other teams..the second string was so so...that is gone absolutely gone. You have injuries and then this just shows up on the field even more. Now you have less guys and play a Fed that does not include Wooster, New Philly, Timken...a weaker GlenOak and Jackson. You now have a schedule with no breather games, this just shows up on the field. The difference in schedule is getting somewhat better because we aren't as strong so teams will play us and we don't have to take a Watterson or Mooney. Yet you played in 99...your team was fantastic but your schedule was not as strong as 2013...your tough games were Dover, Hoover, Jackson, Perry..but you did not play all four in a row. Then you filled it in with Ellet, New Philly, Ravenna, Wooster, Alliance, GlenOak...you know as well as me that those breather games allowed more kids to play in a varsity game, allowed the starters to rest and recover, and you kept winning.

The other issue is the change in football from the 90's to now...when you played how many of those teams played the spread offense? Durbin's defense was the 50 shade with zone coverages...strong 5 technique was the key...worked great when the offenses were not spread out, but that defense is not great against 5 wide. Now you are asking kids to make plays in space...can you coach speed?

The numbers started dropping in the early 2000's, the schedule lost the breather games, athleticism changed the game, and AAU becoming more organized in other sports then when you were in school. Put all these together and play in a league that you have always had to play over your head something has to give.
Old 11-18-17, 03:28 AM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Living in Jackson Township is great. You can pretend you're rich and look down your nose at the rest of the county like a complete jerk. The proverbial big fish in a small pond.

Kinda like how you pretend to be smart on this website.