Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-08-18, 08:27 AM
Freshman

Saluki is on a distinguished road
Competing Out of State

What are the OHSAA rules on sending an athlete/relay to an out-of-state meet during the track season? (i.e., Penn Relays, Eastern Relays, etc.). For example... Do you have to send a coach? Does the meet have to be listed on your schedule? I know it happens every year, I was just wondering what the official rules are on such a thing....
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-18, 08:36 AM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
i am sure that your local board is going to require a coach to be present. as for out of state competition.....doesnt the OHSAA limit this to one?
Old 04-08-18, 10:22 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saluki View Post
What are the OHSAA rules on sending an athlete/relay to an out-of-state meet during the track season? (i.e., Penn Relays, Eastern Relays, etc.). For example... Do you have to send a coach? Does the meet have to be listed on your schedule? I know it happens every year, I was just wondering what the official rules are on such a thing....
http://www.ohsaa.org/Portals/0/About...SAA/Bylaws.pdf

Bylaw 9-2-1 is the main one pertaining to out-of-state competition.

In short, you're allowed 1 trip per sport per season to a non-contiguous state or province, provided no school time is missed. Trips to contiguous states (Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania) and provinces (Ontario) are unlimited. Some state associations have limits on how many miles a team is allowed to travel to out-of-state competition. Ohio has no such mileage limit, so a team from Marietta could compete in Michigan's Upper Peninsula just the same as a team from Toledo.

I'm not going to look it all up, but kids can't compete in the absence of a coach, and yes, the meet would count toward the total number of meets on your schedule just the same as if you sent 1 athlete or relay to an in-state meet that is separate from the rest of the team.

Traveling out of state for practice purposes is not allowed unless your normal practice facility is located out of state (bylaw 9-2-2). In rare cases, an exception may be granted in writing by the OHSAA Executive Director. A pre-meet walk through would probably not be considered a practice.
Old 04-08-18, 10:32 AM
All Ohio

madman is on a distinguished road
My understanding...

If the meet is in a state that is not contiguous with Ohio, there can be no loss of school time. Note that even though Penn is a looonng way from Ohio, it is still in a state that is contiguous, so you could miss school to compete there.

Local school boards also have their own policies. For instance my school says that a school bus will not go more than 150 mi beyond the border of Ohio.

Make sure the meet receives sanctioning from the OHSAA. Most of the major meets (Arcadia, Penn Relays, etc.) are very familiar with this process. It isn't really a major issue, you just have to be sure that it is done.

When we have sent athletes to meets like Arcadia or Penn, we have sent a coach or a school-board approved volunteer. Parents haven't ever been that school-board approved person, but I think they could be.

All costs related to these meets have been borne by the coach/athlete/volunteer.

Any such meet would count against the team's maximum number of permissible competitions. I am honestly not sure what it means to be listed on your schedule. If your school website isn't up to date, I don't think OHSAA is going to sanction you. I think you would need a paper trail that would show your school administration was aware of, and approved of, the athlete's participation in the meet.

Any overnight/out of state trip must be approved by our school board, so that paper trail is in the public record. I would think most schools have similar policies.
Old 04-08-18, 10:37 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohbino View Post
What about a meet such as the NBON that takes place June 15-17 this year? Most kids are out of school at that point. If the kid has graduated how could the OHSAA have any authority over them? For those kids that are seniors and have graduated what would stop them from competing at the NBON if they had already competed at a meet in a non-contiguous state?
Most of the National Level meets specifically state that you cannot compete for your school, but that all members of any relay must be from the same school.

We attend meets like this by registering as individuals or through a track club. Note that the track club doesn't have to be any official entity.

I believe according to our Bylaws that Outdoor Track and Field ceases one week after the State Meet. These meets occur after that period so they cannot be part of the season.
Old 04-08-18, 10:39 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohbino View Post
What about a meet such as the NBON that takes place June 15-17 this year? Most kids are out of school at that point. If the kid has graduated how could the OHSAA have any authority over them? For those kids that are seniors and have graduated what would stop them from competing at the NBON if they had already competed at a meet in a non-contiguous state?
http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/track

Look at the 2018 "Track & Field Calendar" on the left side near the top of the page. The official end of the 2018 OHSAA track and field season is June 9, 2018. The bylaw says 1 trip per sport, per season. NBON is not part of the season, so there is nothing on the OHSAA's part restricting any Ohio athletes from competing there.
Old 04-08-18, 01:26 PM
All American

Altor is on a distinguished road
I believe there are also eligibility rules about competing on a non-school team during the school's season. So, if you go to Penn or some other meet during the season, you will want to get approval from your school and be associated with your school in the meet program/results. Unlike the post-season national meets where athletes are basically required to be on "track clubs," running as part of a TC at an in-season meet like this may make your athlete ineligible for tournaments.

The upshot of all this is that you need to talk to your AD and/or principal. They should be able to identify all the issues or at least contact somebody who can.
Old 04-08-18, 07:16 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
I believe there are also eligibility rules about competing on a non-school team during the school's season. So, if you go to Penn or some other meet during the season, you will want to get approval from your school and be associated with your school in the meet program/results. Unlike the post-season national meets where athletes are basically required to be on "track clubs," running as part of a TC at an in-season meet like this may make your athlete ineligible for tournaments.

The upshot of all this is that you need to talk to your AD and/or principal. They should be able to identify all the issues or at least contact somebody who can.
Again, refer to the 2018 "Track & Field Calendar" on the left side near the top of the OHSAA's track & field page. Notice the April 16 non-interscholastic date. I believe that is the date at which athletes must cease non-interscholastic competition (competing for club track teams and such), or else they're ineligible to compete for their school team for the rest of the season. That would be 6 weeks out from the week of the state meet.

The non-interscholastic rule comes into play more in other sports like golf or tennis. We had a kid in our county 7 years ago who gave up his junior season of HS golf eligibility in order to play in a national tournament in Oklahoma which came after golf's non-interscholastic date. He had helped his HS golf team go to state his freshman and sophomore years. The kid and his father (who is the boys basketball coach at his kid's school) felt that tournament would generate more exposure for the kid than another season of HS golf. The kid's father also felt the OHSAA rule governing the situation is archaic. The kid returned his senior year to place 3rd at state in DI and played collegiate golf at NC State.
Old 04-09-18, 06:51 AM
All American

Altor is on a distinguished road
See. You need to contact your AD or Principal. I don't believe the Non-interscholastic date means what you think it means.

General Regulation 7.2.2) Individual Sports – A member of a school team in the individual sports of bowling, cross country, golf, gymnastics, swimming & diving, tennis, track & field and wrestling may not participate in an athletic contest with a non-school team or in non-interscholastic competition in that same sport during the school team’s season.
Old 04-09-18, 07:16 AM
All Ohio

I wonder how long it's been since 7.2.2 was changed because I can vividly remember a former tennis player that travelled around the country playing elite tournaments until a given point in the season, then he ceased until the state meet was over. I thought it was 30 days before the district/sectional meet. He ended up winning the Div I title, so this wasn't a kid flying below the radar.
Old 04-09-18, 08:24 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
See. You need to contact your AD or Principal. I don't believe the Non-interscholastic date means what you think it means.

General Regulation 7.2.2) Individual Sports – A member of a school team in the individual sports of bowling, cross country, golf, gymnastics, swimming & diving, tennis, track & field and wrestling may not participate in an athletic contest with a non-school team or in non-interscholastic competition in that same sport during the school team’s season.
Yes and no.

From the 2018 Track & Field regulations: http://www.ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Sport...ld/TFrglts.pdf

2) Non-Interscholastic Participation

2.1) A member of an interscholastic track and field squad (any student who has participated in a regular season or tournament contest) sponsored by the Board of Education shall not participate in a non-interscholastic contest as an individual or a member of a team in the sport of track and field during the school’s season (Sports Regulation 7.2.2).

2.2) Individual Non-Interscholastic Competition Dates:
A track and field athlete who has not participated for the school in track and field that season must cease non-interscholastic track and field competition six weeks (42 days) prior to the Monday of the week of the State Tournament in track and field in order to be eligible for OHSAA Tournament competition. In addition, an athlete who has participated for the school in track and field who violates this non-interscholastic competition date by participating in a non-interscholastic contest in track and field shall be ineligible for OHSAA tournament competition in track and field in addition to any other penalties that may be prescribed. Date: April 16, 2018.

2.3) Road racing is interpreted as a different sport than track and field. If the majority of the race is run on a road, participation is not a violation of the non-interscholastic competition bylaw.

The key idea is whether or not the athlete has already competed for his or her school. If he or she has not yet competed for your school, then he or she can compete in non-interscholastic competition up until April 16. If he or she has already competed for the school during that season, then he or she cannot compete in non-interscholastic competition during the same season.