Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-09-18, 09:12 AM
All District

presnapread is on a distinguished road
Hayes didn't win the OCC in 2008.

HUGE problem at Hayes is commitment by the student athletes at the school. Using the word "student" sarcastically and loosely. One would be amazed at the percentage of the boys academically ineligible due to lack of credits earned for fourth grading period of each year.
Old 04-09-18, 09:28 AM
All American

The Dock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by presnapread View Post
Hayes didn't win the OCC in 2008.

HUGE problem at Hayes is commitment by the student athletes at the school. Using the word "student" sarcastically and loosely. One would be amazed at the percentage of the boys academically ineligible due to lack of credits earned for fourth grading period of each year.
I think it is a bit outlandish to say that the kids aren't committed to being students, because I know there is a sizable percentage of the Delaware student body that come from particularly crappy circumstances and are generally fed into one or two of the "problem" elementary schools.
Old 04-09-18, 09:31 AM
Junior Varsity

FOOTBALLGUYDT is on a distinguished road
Sounds like parents need to get on these kids to do their work and if that's the case it's sad. I know they won a 3 title sometime in there but it was a co championship not sure the year. New coach would have a tough go around but either way if the right person can come in and get them to believe they can be something and get the culture going it can be done.
Old 04-09-18, 09:32 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOOTBALLGUYDT View Post
Sounds like parents need to get on these kids to do their work and if that's the case it's sad. I know they won a 3 title sometime in there but it was a co championship not sure the year. New coach would have a tough go around but either way if the right person can come in and get them to believe they can be something and get the culture going it can be done.
You are assuming that many of these kids who are "problem students" come home every night to their mother and father, when instead they're coming home to a grandparent or their mother and her on-again, off-again boyfriend.
Old 04-09-18, 09:47 AM
Junior Varsity

I know how the area is and I'm not assuming anything. Not taking anything away from any coaches but a lot of times if a coach keeps a kid interested and shows how if they work hard they can change their situation maybe it can change the culture.
Old 04-09-18, 11:41 AM
All District

FOOTBALLGUYDT .... 2 Titles, don't believe me? Check it out. 69 (shared it) and 96 (Outright). That's it. Eligibility? Blame who you want - Complete family, Mom only, Dad only, Foster parents, grand parents. IN OHIO TODAY, OHSAA standards, eligibility standards are a complete joke. ANY kid who cares enough about his or herself, athletics and academics, can be eligible. IT'S NOT THAT CHALLENGING!
Old 04-09-18, 02:58 PM
All American

Quote:
FOOTBALLGUYDT .... 2 Titles, don't believe me? Check it out. 69 (shared it) and 96 (Outright). That's it. Eligibility? Blame who you want - Complete family, Mom only, Dad only, Foster parents, grand parents. IN OHIO TODAY, OHSAA standards, eligibility standards are a complete joke. ANY kid who cares enough about his or herself, athletics and academics, can be eligible. IT'S NOT THAT CHALLENGING!
Frankly, I don't care what you think about the topic of kids achieving/underachieving in the classroom. What's your education background, your professional experience, and ultimately germane to the topic, your interactions and professional/personal formation within the City of Delaware and their school system, that qualifies you to write blanketed statements like "the kids [in Delaware] don't care about school [sic]"?

Unless kids are having their emotional, physical and practical needs met at home by consistent, loving and structured parental units, then they are already put in a disadvantage that is unbelievably challenging to overcome. You act as if kids have the brain formation, life experience and perspective that us adults do to be able to overcome the obstacles thrown their way and to sift their way through their educational, social and home challenges. While it is true that the Home of Hayes is seeing an influx of more middle-class, upper-middle income people moving in, there is still a sizable portion of the student body within Delaware City Schools that live in complete insecurity across all the parameters pertinent toward being a prepared, healthy, balanced and motivated student. Full stop.
Old 04-09-18, 03:57 PM
All Ohio

TCSoup is on a distinguished road
Well at least the thread is off of Dublin Coffman 10 posts by Harry and everyone of them containing the word DC .
Guess that happens when out of the last 60+ posts on the DC thread 59 are by him.
No one to talk to and he wonders why.
Old 04-09-18, 04:45 PM
All Region

AHM is on a distinguished road
Wonder if Delaware will make a pitch for Desales coach Wiggins. They have poached Catholic school coaches in the past and Desales is on a definite downturn. Plus I believe coach Wiggins lives in Delware. It would make sense.
Old 04-09-18, 06:10 PM
All World

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah Soup and you read EVERY time I post don't say you don't because I know YOU DO, religiously fanatically , promptly, like clock work , as if it's your part time job , you never miss an episode , thanks for coming by man, adding to the views of Delaware football and we al know your presence really adds to it, because everyone wants to know what you say , again gratitude for your loyalty
Old 04-09-18, 06:16 PM
All World

As for the DC thread , I'm not looking for anyone to talk to I have that covered in life , but a lot of people seem to read what's on that thread that is for sure, and you never miss a post , I appreciate you NOT responding , and I don't care if anyone ever responds, it's meant more to be read not contributed to actually, and for some reason it's viewed and read by a lot of people including of course YOU , in fact you are such a loyal viewer never missing a post I will get those set of steak knives out to you as soon as possible
Old 04-09-18, 08:49 PM
All District

FB4EVer is on a distinguished road
Two local possibilities to consider are Kyle Goebbel and John Klingel. Goebbel did a commendable job at Westland. They were outgunned by the conference leaders but were competitive in the evenly matched games. Maybe he might want to come home now that he has left the Cougars. Klingel had a good career at River Valley and passed the program on. He has strong ties to Delaware and the northern part of the county. He might want a new challenge. With the realignment and the right coach, the Pacers may become relevant.
Old 04-10-18, 07:38 AM
Junior Varsity

Don't know if Goebbel is interested heard he's on staff now at Worthington Kilbourne, he did do a good job at Westland though with what he had to work with. DeSales coach might be okay but he won't have athletes he's getting there. Rumors I've heard are one possible candidate on staff already, I've heard Scott Wentzel is interested, and I heard Mike Picetti is interested or they've all applied. Just from what I'm hearing. The new realignment could help a lot for them. It would be great for the community for them to become relevant. Always a good turnout on Friday nights there too.
Old 04-12-18, 08:53 AM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
I generally think of Delaware Hayes as a slightly bigger version of Mount Vernon, and MV got out of the Ohio Capital Conference. I'm guessing that unless something drastic happens, Delaware Hayes ought to consider doing the same.

The world has changed dramatically since the 1980's, and the reality is that Delaware hasn't kept pace with everyone else's growth. That's what MV saw, and what DH will one day realize.

Interestingly enough, Mount Vernon has a significantly higher percentage of "economically disadvantaged" kids than Delaware Hayes, according to US News.

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...h-school-15820

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...h-school-15209
Old 04-12-18, 08:56 AM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post
Frankly, I don't care what you think about the topic of kids achieving/underachieving in the classroom. What's your education background, your professional experience, and ultimately germane to the topic, your interactions and professional/personal formation within the City of Delaware and their school system, that qualifies you to write blanketed statements like "the kids [in Delaware] don't care about school [sic]"?

Unless kids are having their emotional, physical and practical needs met at home by consistent, loving and structured parental units, then they are already put in a disadvantage that is unbelievably challenging to overcome. You act as if kids have the brain formation, life experience and perspective that us adults do to be able to overcome the obstacles thrown their way and to sift their way through their educational, social and home challenges. While it is true that the Home of Hayes is seeing an influx of more middle-class, upper-middle income people moving in, there is still a sizable portion of the student body within Delaware City Schools that live in complete insecurity across all the parameters pertinent toward being a prepared, healthy, balanced and motivated student. Full stop.
I hear what you're saying, but I think you're getting a bit melodramatic. Delaware Hayes isn't anywhere close to, say, a Columbus East or Columbus South. As noted above, they aren't even a Mount Vernon.

Take a look at these numbers.

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...h-school-15179

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...h-school-15186
Old 04-13-18, 09:14 AM
All District

Malabar10 is on a distinguished road
I think the Ohio Cardinal Conference should drop West Holmes and Wooster and add Hayes, Big Walnut, and Buckeye Valley to go with Ashland, Mans Madison, Mans Senior, Lexington, and Mt Vernon.
Old 04-13-18, 09:29 AM
Junior Varsity

That would be a pretty decent conference, travel for Ashland, Mans Madison, Mans Senior, and Lexington might a be a haul. Would restore a very old rivalry with Mt Vernon and Delaware. Coaches that I've heard that have interviewed or will be interviewing are the current OC at Hayes, current DC at DeSales, Ted Sauder, Kyle Goebbel, and Mike Picetti. I also heard an 8th grade coach and freshman coach interviewed too.
Old 04-13-18, 11:59 AM
All World

BGFalcons86 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerWildcat View Post
I hear what you're saying, but I think you're getting a bit melodramatic. Delaware Hayes isn't anywhere close to, say, a Columbus East or Columbus South. As noted above, they aren't even a Mount Vernon.

Take a look at these numbers.

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...h-school-15179

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...h-school-15186

Delaware Hayes is fairly well-off relative to other schools of similar background (located in medium-sized towns outside the "suburban" portion of a metro). It just looks different than its affluent neighbors in Olentangy LSD.

Here's the ODE web page for the Free/Reduced Lunch report.

http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Oth...-Meal-Eligibil
Old 04-16-18, 09:34 AM
All District

1995 is on a distinguished road
I bet the 8th coach gets it.
Old 04-16-18, 09:54 AM
Junior Varsity

I really hope the district is smarter than that, I mean of all the coaches mentioned, I would think the current OC would have a chance but might be time to get away from what was already there. The DC at DeSales would be a good pick but he's not going to get the athletes they get at DeSales. Ted Sauder I don't know much about except he's been an assistant at Olentangy for the past few years. Goebbel just left Westland and he did well there but his last season went 0-10 and he is a Delaware guy grew up and played at Hayes. Picetti would be an interesting pick because he's been successful with his defense at every stop. He's had some really good defenses while at Olentangy and Bradley. In my opinion with the people on the list I'd say it probably comes down to DC at DeSales, Picetti, and maybe Goebbel. Hard to sale a guy who didn't win at game last year to a program that's been down too. I say give one of the guys who's a proven DC a chance. If I remember right last few years with Picetti at Tangy and Bradley those defenses have been pretty stout through the playoffs and both teams made some good runs while he was there.
Old 04-16-18, 04:47 PM
All District

WJ-OSU-STEELERS is on a distinguished road
Delaware is now Division I and it appears they are there to stay with the growth projections for the city. They have the Olentangy's to the east, Dublin's to the southwest and Worthington's to the southeast - all 3 districts will always have a financial/economic advantage over the Pacers. Trying to be like the 'Jones' will not work. Delaware needs to find a coach to will
1) get kids out, involved in the program
2) use the economic gap as the Pacers edge. Accept and embrace the "live on the wrong side of the tracks" mantra, be the tough guy.
3) make the kids accountable, take an interest in their future and help them in their next endeavor after high school (college, college to play Div III football, military, etc).

Personally, I would look for a run first coach (I formation, wing t). I believe this type of play works best with the mentality above. Will Delaware ever be able to beat the big Division I Catholic schools or advanced far in the playoffs with a one trick pony type of offense - no but find a style/mentality that will give you some success. Delaware is not going to lineup on Friday night with the best talent vs most teams in their conference. Find that edge.
Example: Hilliard Davidson has been on a great run going back to when John Sines took over as head coach in the early 90's. Since 2000, they have dominated UA (17-3), had the better of it vs Dublin Coffman (14-9) and won 2 state titles. I bet UA has had as many Div I players and I'm pretty sure Coffman has had quite a few more go Div I than HD. Hilliard Davidson doesn't win with talent, they use a system and have a edge - they simply do what they do extremely well and believe they are the tough guy. HD may not be any tougher than UA or Dublin Coffman but I bet the HD kids buy into it and that is all you need to be successful.

Delaware is a tough job with little football history, no double about it. But the area is growing, there is opportunity. I still think the London coach would be one worth inquiring with.
Old 04-17-18, 09:51 AM
All District

Haze

The London Coach doesn't need to go to Delaware if he aspires a Central Ohio "Big School" Suburban Job .... Do what he's doing at London and it will happen. Fairly sure someone soon might be posting about a Westerville North opening.
Old 04-17-18, 10:40 AM
Junior Varsity

Hayes

Quote:
The London Coach doesn't need to go to Delaware if he aspires a Central Ohio "Big School" Suburban Job .... Do what he's doing at London and it will happen. Fairly sure someone soon might be posting about a Westerville North opening.
So sounds like you might know something? So is Scott Wetzel is going to be the new coach?
Old 04-18-18, 07:24 AM
Junior Varsity

So what I've been hearing is still no announcement on the next coach. What I've heard is Wetzel has been wanting out of Westerville North and was taking a different job. He was already board approved and then Delaware opens he didn't take the job. I know Wetzel has been a good coach at Buckeye Valley and Big Walnut. Has done decent I guess at North. But to me he keeps jumping ship thinking he's going to get into a better situation. Don't know if he still teaches or is just coaching now. But in all reality Delaware would be doing the same type of hire they did with Golden. Brining a guy in who has won at other jobs and hoping he wins here. I really think Delaware needs some new blood. Go with the a hungry coordinator that wants to build a program. I mean in all reality how many years will Wetzel stay at Delaware? Will he want to jump ship again as soon as the water gets a little rough? I mean you're leaving North after 2 or 3 seasons. Had a new job already board approved and you leave them out in the cold too? Is this who Delaware wants?
Old 04-18-18, 07:34 AM
All World

I agree that may be the best type of hire may be the hungry young assistant who wants to build the program and instill energy enthusiasm and his own vision from the ground up.

Think Dublin Jerome coach Bob Gecewich . A guy like that who can infuse that attitude change and get the positive energy back in the program. Not taking anything away from Mike Golden, he is an excellent coach but had other issues obviously that affected him and that is certainly more important than wining football games.

Now guys as talented and committed as Gecewich is don'[t grow on trees obviously , but that is the route I would go , HUNGER , something to prove individual with a little chip on his shoulder . Not the longtime HC that has been around.

They should be better up there no doubt, and not al coaches may want to undertake a rebuild or reboot , but I think you get a guy who wants to put roots down and dig in and is hungry and motivated you have a chance
Old 04-18-18, 08:52 AM
Junior Varsity

Completely agree with you he has done a great job at Jerome and they'll continue to get better. Yes Golden has a great history of coaching and has done well. It stinks he has to give it up due to health reasons and I wish him the complete best and hope he recovers fine.

Delaware seems to want to go with what might work instead of what would work. They do need a complete build from the ground up pee wee's all the way up to the HS. A good coordinator that knows it'll take a few years to get the program where it needs to be and put in their minds they need to play with a chip on their shoulder b/c of course they aren't the Olentangy's, Dublin's, or Worthington schools. I think any established older HC that comes in will set the program back even further. They have a hard time getting a lot of kids to come out for football.

I know a couple of the people names previously would be some good candidates for the position and there might be someone else out there. In my opinion I'd go with a DC b/c if you can stop people you always give yourself a chance. I think the person that gets it will have to know the first couple years will be rocky but once the ground work is laid it could start to build something and more kids start coming out. Delaware has nice facilities. Just need to start building something.
Old 04-18-18, 09:05 AM
All District

1995 is on a distinguished road
I would give it to the guy who has won a state championship.
Old 04-18-18, 09:32 AM
Junior Varsity

I get what you're saying but that's what they did with Golden and it didn't get better. Wetzel has won a single State Title and that's great. He's made the playoffs and I know it's tough to win a State Title but a change is needed there.
Old 04-18-18, 12:18 PM
All World

State title ??? Plaaaaaaooooofs ? You talking Plaaaaaaoffs . PLaaaaaaoooofs?

OK I understand the allure of the state title coach , and I am sure that guy is good at what he does . BUT the Delaware coaching situation and the program in it's current state isn't about grandiose plans and delusions of grandeur.

It should be about injecting some youthful energy and a some fresh air. Patience is a virtue in this situation and I would counsel that you interview a small handful of guys looking for smart yes of course, but more importantly ENERGY, POSITIVE ENERGY, being the main criteria . Try to get the best guy and assure him he will have some time to succeed , and he will get support .

It's a new day. In the short term YES getting the established guy would probably produce a few more wins at the beginning ? MAY BE NOT though but even if that is so , it is more important to get the guy who wants to grow with the program in his image and who is HUNGRY and has more patience .

Some of the best hires in sports have been of the guy not many have heard of, a smart hungry guy who LOVES BUILDING, and wants to make it his own . ESTABLISHED GUYS can build programs as well , but their threshold for failure at the beginning after sustained success may be less .

I hope they get the right younger guy who fires the program up and they get better. I think if they do within 4-5 years we may see a different program
Old 04-18-18, 01:34 PM
Junior Varsity

Harry thank you for seeing what I've been trying to say. Out of the coordinators the only one I know much about is Mike Picetti because he was at Olentangy for a while and they had some very good defenses when he was the DC and his recent time with Bradley.I know when Bradley came to Delaware this year they walked all over of them and they took their 1's out after the 1st half and the score was 35-7. So with that said and what I saw from their D, those kids were ready to play. I know the Hayes OC applied but don't know much about him plus, I think they need to get away from what they had.

The DC at DeSales I don't know much about but I'm sure he's a good choice as well but just not as familiar.

I agree they need someone who will come in and build. Need to put that hard work mentality to them as well. I think whoever gets it needs to be someone who hasn't been a HC before give a new guy a chance and like you said some good hires have been guys who've come up through the ranks with good programs.