Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-30-18, 05:59 AM
All Region

Old Wildcat is on a distinguished road
Red face This is bull$#&@

Rain,Rain, Rain
last spring was bad this year is insane.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-18, 10:46 AM
All Region

warriordad is on a distinguished road
What's worse is OHSAA wants you to cram in 27 games in 8 weeks which is down to 6 weeks now. We already had to reschedule our last week do to tournament games starting. They are complete idiots!! they are all about the $$$$
Old 04-01-18, 12:25 PM
All Ohio

Hitnrun is on a distinguished road
Brings back the argument as to move baseball/softball to a fall sport, where the weather is so much more desirable. Spring baseball has always been a crap shoot in N.E. Ohio. I have heard the argument of how football/soccer kids would choose baseball over these traditional Fall sports. But after doing a quick check of some local team/s baseball rosters, there really weren't that many kids who this change might affect. If they choose one sport over another, fine, but those in charge need to do something soon, as high school baseball is quickly becoming a vanishing sport.
Old 04-01-18, 12:34 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
I still think they should condense the tournament. Play at least 3 games a week during the playoffs. Maybe even limit the number of teams that make the playoffs. It's kind of crazy that the football playoffs last about the same amount of time as the baseball regular season.

They should also open up Sundays for regular season and tournament games. Most kids play baseball on Sundays the rest of the year. We have a small number games scheduled for Sundays right now but could expand it to be a normal baseball day. Nothing more frustrating that having Sunday be the only decent weather day of the week knowing there is no chance to play that day.
Old 04-01-18, 01:15 PM
All Region

Salesman is on a distinguished road
^^^^^^^ What he said!!!!
Old 04-01-18, 02:27 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Why can't they just play over the first month of summer break.... some schools go all year round so what would be the big deal? Just start the season a few weeks later and extend it a few weeks longer and like what Yappi stated... play multiple games during the week during tourney time.....
Old 04-01-18, 04:03 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
Why can't they just play over the first month of summer break.... some schools go all year round so what would be the big deal? Just start the season a few weeks later and extend it a few weeks longer and like what Yappi stated... play multiple games during the week during tourney time.....
Every week later in the high school season would be cutting into the summer season. For the top players, these teams play far more meaningful games than most school teams. Not an option for my kids.
Old 04-01-18, 04:03 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by salesman View Post
^^^^^^^ what he said!!!!
+2
Old 04-02-18, 05:45 AM
All Region

Ok does God hate baseball? Wake up to a few inches of snow. Not sure about your team but we got 1 double header in 9 days ago. Frustrated, angry,bitter, and a few otherd that can't post. Hey Minfan Minerva should start renting out there field. Also mentioned in an earlier post the ohsaa should let teams play on Sundays. In the last 2 weeks there's been 2 nice days, you guessed it both Sundays. Guys who play summer ball there goal is to play on Sunday. I hope we get a league game in before the sectional/districts start.
Old 04-02-18, 07:03 AM
All Ohio

boomer24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Every week later in the high school season would be cutting into the summer season. For the top players, these teams play far more meaningful games than most school teams. Not an option for my kids.
If you push the season back two weeks, you'd only be losing one travel tournament...unless you're in the state championship game. I imagine most HS travel teams don't start playing until the first week of June.
Old 04-02-18, 07:22 AM
All Yappi

thePITman is on a distinguished road
Nothing like 3 inches of snow the day after Easter.

I am all for extending the HS baseball season 1 week: https://associationdatabase.com/aws/...e/180459?ver=1
Old 04-02-18, 10:40 AM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Wildcat View Post
Rain,Rain, Rain
last spring was bad this year is insane.
You were only complaining about the rain. You didn't say anything about SNOW!
Old 04-02-18, 02:34 PM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
I don't think the OHSAA has a rule against playing on Sunday. A couple schools in the Lima area play basketball on Sunday afternoon. I'm guessing if it's legal in basketball that it's ok for baseball too. I'm guessing it's a school decision
Old 04-02-18, 04:32 PM
All District

OEBNorthGM is on a distinguished road
It's not a rule. The catholic schools would have a harder time explaining it.

HS teams should play DH on weekends. But too many coaches don't want to give up home days. Have to get past that and just alternate years. Play non-league games during the week so you can develop 5th 6th 7th arms etc.

I know there is general wear and tear on turf fields, and the need to pay someone to be a site manager, so colleges will never go for it, but would love to see college programs with turf either rent their facility for free or at the very least, at a huge discount, to HS teams when they are on the road. Such a good selling point to these young kids and families - gets more people on your campus. Hell most of these kids stay in northeast Ohio anyway and spend a ton of money on tuition. If this happened more you could easily get 3-4 games in a day.

Another idea that will never go through and I understand why, but how about playing weekday games a little earlier in the day? Let the kids get out of school early. It happens in college all the time - why not expose them to it now? I know coaches usually are teachers or have other jobs so a huge hurdle, but on days like today where it ended up being nice, would be great to try and get two in versus just one.

Tons of ideas on both sides of the argument.
Old 04-02-18, 07:07 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
you were only complaining about the rain. You didn't say anything about snow!
lol
Old 04-03-18, 05:44 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEBNorthGM View Post
It's not a rule. The catholic schools would have a harder time explaining it.

HS teams should play DH on weekends. But too many coaches don't want to give up home days. Have to get past that and just alternate years. Play non-league games during the week so you can develop 5th 6th 7th arms etc.

I know there is general wear and tear on turf fields, and the need to pay someone to be a site manager, so colleges will never go for it, but would love to see college programs with turf either rent their facility for free or at the very least, at a huge discount, to HS teams when they are on the road. Such a good selling point to these young kids and families - gets more people on your campus. Hell most of these kids stay in northeast Ohio anyway and spend a ton of money on tuition. If this happened more you could easily get 3-4 games in a day.

Another idea that will never go through and I understand why, but how about playing weekday games a little earlier in the day? Let the kids get out of school early. It happens in college all the time - why not expose them to it now? I know coaches usually are teachers or have other jobs so a huge hurdle, but on days like today where it ended up being nice, would be great to try and get two in versus just one.

Tons of ideas on both sides of the argument.
All great ideas. There is no reason for Tri-C or Kent State to be idle during the weekend. There should be someone playing on those fields non-stop.

I agree 1000% on starting earlier and playing DH's during the week, but unless you have a baseball friendly administration, it will never happen. It's a battle to get non-baseball people to understand why you want to get out a little early before leaving so you can get BP in.
Old 04-03-18, 07:37 AM
All Region

mrroosevelt is on a distinguished road
What ever happened to the bone dry springs from my youth???
Old 04-03-18, 08:46 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitnrun View Post
Brings back the argument as to move baseball/softball to a fall sport, where the weather is so much more desirable. Spring baseball has always been a crap shoot in N.E. Ohio. I have heard the argument of how football/soccer kids would choose baseball over these traditional Fall sports. But after doing a quick check of some local team/s baseball rosters, there really weren't that many kids who this change might affect. If they choose one sport over another, fine, but those in charge need to do something soon, as high school baseball is quickly becoming a vanishing sport.
Some on this board might be old enough to remember when HS golf was a spring sport. It went from being a spring sport to a fall sport in 1974 (if you played HS golf that year, you probably loved playing that spring and then being able to play again that fall), and much like what we're seeing with baseball, the reason for it was that many golf courses were generally unplayable until mid-April which made the regular season too short for the amount of matches that most schools were wanting to play. Fall golf works because the regular season starts the 1st week of August and is nearly half over before school starts. Girls tennis is similar in that they also start in early August and are done before late October.

I had heard scuttlebutt a few years ago that if spring football would ever return to Ohio, then the baseball season would be pushed back to where it would be nearly July when the OHSAA tournament ended. That would obviously be a problem for those who play on summer league teams. That said, the push to bring back spring football seems to have diminished for the time being. Ohio had spring football in the '30s, '40s, and early '50s. It would take place in late March/early April and last for about 3 weeks with teams holding a couple scrimmages along the way. Baseball was basically an afterthought at schools that participated in spring football. They would throw a team together and play a very brief regular season schedule to prepare for the tournament which began around May 1. I found 1 of my school's old schedules which indicated that they played only 1 regular season game before the sectional tournament began!

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 04-03-18 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-03-18, 11:20 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrroosevelt View Post
What ever happened to the bone dry springs from my youth???
Global warming.
Old 04-03-18, 11:26 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
Some on this board might be old enough to remember when HS golf was a spring sport. It went from being a spring sport to a fall sport in 1974 (if you played HS golf that year, you probably loved playing that spring and then being able to play again that fall), and much like what we're seeing with baseball, the reason for it was that many golf courses were generally unplayable until mid-April which made the regular season too short for the amount of matches that most schools were wanting to play. Fall golf works because the regular season starts the 1st week of August and is nearly half over before school starts. Girls tennis is similar in that they also start in early August and are done before late October.

I had heard scuttlebutt a few years ago that if spring football would ever return to Ohio, then the baseball season would be pushed back to where it would be nearly July when the OHSAA tournament ended. That would obviously be a problem for those who play on summer league teams. That said, the push to bring back spring football seems to have diminished for the time being. Ohio had spring football in the '30s, '40s, and early '50s. It would take place in late March/early April and last for about 3 weeks with teams holding a couple scrimmages along the way. Baseball was basically an afterthought at schools that participated in spring football. They would throw a team together a very brief regular season schedule to prepare for the tournament which began at the beginning of May. I found 1 of my school's old schedules which indicated that they played only 1 regular season game before the sectional tournament began!
What would happen if you moved the entire football season to the spring? Football, and I guess soccer too, are used to playing in cold & crappy weather. Their playing surface isn't mostly dirt so rain shouldn't cancel many games. College coaches would be able to see the recruits presumably easier for those that are college caliper.

Just basically flip the main fall & winter sports?
Old 04-03-18, 02:07 PM
All Ohio

rghrider98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitnrun View Post
Moving baseball to the fall wouldn't hurt larger schools but it would kill school D3 and below. There's not enough kids to go around and play.
Old 04-03-18, 02:38 PM
All Ohio

Over The Hills is on a distinguished road
Funny stuff fellas.
Weather this spring stinks however here is the truth.

Baseball is not getting moved to the fall.

Most schools are not gonna dismiss the HS baseball team early to play DHs.

Not that high of a % of kids go on to play college baseball so OHSAA (or schools)doesn’t really care to expose HS players to missing class for sports.

I wouldn’t agree but could see the season someday get pushed back a week farther into summer.

Catholic schools have no problem playin on Sunday if need be.

Weather always has and always will be an issue.

The best idea on here is to play more playoff games a week.
To bad if you don’t have enough pitching.
Duh. Then I guess your team in not a contender.

Old Wildcat I love the thread title lol.
Good stuff on here.... keep it comin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-18, 12:09 PM
All Region

Ok it's official GOD hates baseball and he's got that wench mother nature in his hip pocket. This is insane, it's possible the sectional tournament will start before we get a league game in.
Old 04-04-18, 12:45 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over The Hills View Post
Most schools are not gonna dismiss the HS baseball team early to play DHs.

Not that high of a % of kids go on to play college baseball so OHSAA (or schools)doesn’t really care to expose HS players to missing class for sports.
I wouldn't say they should allow kids out of school early because they are going to play college baseball, I just think they should allow it so they can get games in when the weather is better. Maybe a DH when the schedule allows. This wouldn't be more than 3-4 times a season.

I can't say 100%, but I think our golf team has gotten out early to get to matches in the past.

The fact is baseball/softball have more challenges compared to other sports. Games postponed because of weather, more work required to get playing field ready and a fairly compact regular season.
Old 04-04-18, 01:42 PM
All District

MINFAN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Wildcat View Post
Ok does God hate baseball? Wake up to a few inches of snow. Not sure about your team but we got 1 double header in 9 days ago. Frustrated, angry,bitter, and a few otherd that can't post. Hey Minfan Minerva should start renting out there field. Also mentioned in an earlier post the ohsaa should let teams play on Sundays. In the last 2 weeks there's been 2 nice days, you guessed it both Sundays. Guys who play summer ball there goal is to play on Sunday. I hope we get a league game in before the sectional/districts start.
We could do that, but it's 35 and feels like 22 right now and it's always windier at the baseball field. Maybe the ADs in the NBC, and other leagues, need to get together and redo the league schedule and include Sundays!! everyone plays on Sunday in summer ball...
Old 04-04-18, 02:38 PM
Go Buckeyes

It would be interesting if a league adopted playing league games every Sunday. If they set it up right, they might get good crowds that come to the games because it's the thing to do on Sunday afternoons. The other advantage to weekend games is the weather should be a little better during the early afternoons.
Old 04-04-18, 02:46 PM
Varsity

candoattitude is on a distinguished road
Agree that Sundays should be utilized. I don't want to hear excuses about a day off for coaches. Tell that to all the summer league dads that coach!

Baseball will not be moved to the fall. Get over it. Fall is for football.

Realize that Summer Ball means more than HS ball in terms of exposure and quality of play.
Old 04-04-18, 03:08 PM
Go Buckeyes

If they did push the season back one week, it really wouldn't hurt many players at all when you think about it.

There are only 16 teams playing in the state tournament. A decent number of them are Seniors who Summer baseball is just for staying sharp as their recruiting has been done for months. The other 750+ schools would already be done with the tournament and they can go play Summer ball. Additionally, most Summer teams could play their games even if they are missing a couple of kids who are in the state tournament.

In the past, I was against extending the season but that was mostly because I felt the game should be over by the time the school year ended. With schools ending even earlier now, playing into the second weekend of June really wouldn't be that big of a deal.

I still think we should be playing 3 playoff games a week. It would allow us to start the tournament a week later.
Old 04-04-18, 03:35 PM
Junior Varsity

WildcatBall123 is on a distinguished road
Summer ball > High School ball. Facts are facts.
More scouting, better competition.
If the HS season does not end until 2nd week of June, means top recruits miss two of the biggest events each summer (Midwest Prospect League and the Flames TOC), in addition to PBR's Top Prospect Games (which is scheduled the way it is to back up to the TOC).

Yes they could all reschedule, but summer ball programs are already squeezed on the back end by football - and if you take away another 2 weeks, they would have just 6 weekends to work with.

It would really force kids to start choosing a sport. If my son played football basketball and baseball, he would potentially never have any time off. I get that is part of sports and I am not complaining, but kids need to also be kids. Look at it on a calendar....

August/September/October/November - football season
November/December/January/February - basketball season
March/April/May - baseball season
June/July - summer baseball

We act like weather in NE Ohio just all of a sudden got crappy this year. It's April. It's always wet.
Old 04-04-18, 03:41 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatBall123 View Post
Summer ball > High School ball. Facts are facts.
I think that depends on your definition of what is better. The ONLY thing reasonably close to winning the state championship in baseball is a Little League team going to Williamsport.

Every kid who wins a state championship will look back at their years in youth baseball and consider that their crowning moment. Nothing in Summer baseball comes close.