Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Closed Thread

Old 03-29-18, 01:10 PM
All American

The Dock is on a distinguished road
I find it to be unsavory, and I'm a small private school guy.
Old 03-29-18, 01:35 PM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
If everyone were to take their heads out of the sand, it wouldn't take the FBI to figure out what's going on here. VASJ wanted to restore numbers to their football team so they utilized a concerted and targeted search to lure kids to come play for them. I say "concerted" because they mentioned "all the people that put so much hard work into this process." And I say "targeted" because they were immediately able to identify these kids as football players as soon as they made their "commitments."

This isn't what high school sports are to be about.
Old 03-29-18, 01:36 PM
All World

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
I find it to be clumsy may be but it's just semantics , no different than coaches and leaders of club soccer or AAU volleyball organizations speaking to each other after making their offers to kids " HMM who has committed ?

Nothing unsavory about it , just the reality of things in private organizations . I am not one to think that the catholics and privates 'RECRUIT" players in terms of coaches seeking out kids and asking them to consider going to a certain school , I think it's more the school itself AND the program that sells itself and other kids and families they know that has more influence.

Catholic fans are competitive with each other in terms of what kids go where and often wonder whether everything is on the up and up . { Are schools taking more off tuition for talent than the others are giving them an advantage for instance} I think it is just more semantics myself
Old 03-29-18, 01:39 PM
All World

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
So , is this an easy lay-up ripe as a 4 day banana type case to nail them for recruiting Mackbinner? Hard work ? recruiting is hard work as we know, but I am not real sure that HS coaches are working late recruiting players
Old 03-29-18, 01:41 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'Town216 View Post
And in all honesty if that was the case from my previous post, the CB numbers would of bumped St.Joes up a division or two but instead kept them right in D-V
However, this little escapade should cinch DIV for them for 2019.
Old 03-29-18, 02:02 PM
All World

firewatch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
However, this little escapade should cinch DIV for them for 2019.
That's about the same time the transfer basketball player from Ravenna that Jackson got will be on Varsity. Maybe they will all play against each other.
Old 03-29-18, 02:02 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Get on with it and just kick the privates out.
Old 03-29-18, 05:36 PM
All American

Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by firewatch View Post
That's about the same time the transfer basketball player from Ravenna that Jackson got will be on Varsity. Maybe they will all play against each other.
Come on FW you know she will NOT respond to this, just like there were crickets when I asked if every Jackson basketball player went to Jackson from K on up.
Old 03-29-18, 08:34 PM
All American

my2sense is on a distinguished road
A local OE school put up billboards in neighboring districts promoting their vocational education program. Many of those "students" pictured were athletic transfers. Not that different from what parochial schools pull.
Old 03-30-18, 05:17 AM
All World

queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
A local OE school put up billboards in neighboring districts promoting their vocational education program. Many of those "students" pictured were athletic transfers. Not that different from what parochial schools pull.
Do the neighboring districts offer such programs? On the surface, they don't appear to be "pulling" anything.
Old 03-30-18, 05:48 AM
All American

Yes. Voc Ed opportunities are available to all students in the county. This was just an attempt to poach. The underlying message was "Hey football players - come here and you can take these fun and easier classes"
Old 03-30-18, 06:23 AM
All World

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish82 View Post
Most catholic schools (at least in SWO) refer to all incoming freshmen as “commits,” regardless whether they play sports or not.
Agree. Every Freshmen is a commit. (even Theater)
Old 03-30-18, 09:13 AM
All World

Quote:
Yes. Voc Ed opportunities are available to all students in the county. This was just an attempt to poach. The underlying message was "Hey football players - come here and you can take these fun and easier classes"
If your vocational education is "fun and easy", I'm happy for the kids leaving for a real opportunity.
Old 04-02-18, 04:00 PM
All American

The school trying to poach them was the "fun and easy" option. The established voc ed program is very good and produces trained and educated skilled graduates.
Old 04-02-18, 05:29 PM
All World

Striker300 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
The school trying to poach them was the "fun and easy" option. The established voc ed program is very good and produces trained and educated skilled graduates.
Go ahead, embellish more on your interpretive lie. Their voc. ed. program is as good as any other in the county, they also produce trained and educated skilled graduates. Quit reaching man, your intent to troll them is very disturbing. You may not have liked the billboard but there is nothing illegal about it. What's truly unsavory is your attempt to cast that school in a bad light no matter how many lies you have to make up.
Old 04-03-18, 01:03 PM
Varsity

bagobones is on a distinguished road
Gotta keep up with Euclid
Old 04-04-18, 07:31 AM
All Yappi

MickeyMantle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
That is willfully ignorant Taco. Less affluent (or poor) families of bright students, and/or especially parents of athletic kids, are acutely aware they offer financial assistance. That is common knowledge among everyone.
Awareness is only one part of it. Recruiting students is a fact of life for any private school and there is not a thing wrong with it.
Old 04-04-18, 07:35 AM
All Yappi

MickeyMantle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish82 View Post
Most catholic schools (at least in SWO) refer to all incoming freshmen as “commits,” regardless whether they play sports or not.
Yep. It's just marketing the product. Public school football fans with a hard-on for the private schools seem to lose sight of the overall non-football picture all the time.
Old 04-04-18, 08:18 AM
All World

firewatch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMantle View Post
Yep. It's just marketing the product. Public school football fans with a hard-on for the private schools seem to lose sight of the overall non-football picture all the time.
I think it's pretty clear these are of the football playing type.

Old 04-04-18, 08:26 AM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enough
No one said they weren't. Just pointing out the silliness of you people's woody over their being called "commits."
Old 04-04-18, 10:14 AM
All American

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
I can remember a few years ago the coaching staff of the closest Catholic school to our area sat behind us at the state finals. So for six games I gave them a hard time about recruiting. The answer the head coach gave was for me to come see his players and he said if that is the best I can do then I do a poor job of it. Recruiting that is. Of all the Catholic schools around our area he does have the poorest football program. Just maybe he is telling me the truth because once in a while he has a good program once in a while a poor program and then the rest of the time he is just average. Much like most public schools if you take away the MAC .
Old 04-04-18, 12:33 PM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19AL63 View Post
I can remember a few years ago the coaching staff of the closest Catholic school to our area sat behind us at the state finals. So for six games I gave them a hard time about recruiting. The answer the head coach gave was for me to come see his players and he said if that is the best I can do then I do a poor job of it. Recruiting that is. Of all the Catholic schools around our area he does have the poorest football program. Just maybe he is telling me the truth because once in a while he has a good program once in a while a poor program and then the rest of the time he is just average. Much like most public schools if you take away the MAC .
lol, that isn't a very convincing defense.
Old 04-04-18, 12:53 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdrill View Post
lol, that isn't a very convincing defense.
Doesn't need one. 99+% of recruiting is perfectly within the rules.
Old 04-04-18, 01:22 PM
All Region

E.S. Furgeson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by queencitybuckeye View Post

Seems like even a number of public schools are holding signing days and using their twitter accounts. On one hand it’s a useful promotional tool on the other it’s soft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-18, 01:57 PM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by queencitybuckeye View Post
I am in complete agreement. Which is also why "defending" it makes no sense. Meaning, since no one s compelled to go there, all of their kids need to be recruited.
Old 04-04-18, 02:00 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdrill View Post
I am in complete agreement. Which is also why "defending" it makes no sense. Meaning, since no one s compelled to go there, all of their kids need to be recruited.
True, the coach shouldn't have taken the bait, and the person doing the baiting should have acted like a decent human being or went back to his trailer.
Old 04-04-18, 02:10 PM
All American

Con_Alma is an unknown quantity at this point
Is it viewed any differently if a public school does it??? ...because they do. Public schools are having "signing days" for their 8th graders now.

https://twitter.com/CoachWells1/stat...72577559678976

https://twitter.com/CoachWells1/stat...69658236080130

There's an individual picture/tweet of each kid that "signed" and "committed".

Is that "unsavory"? What's the difference between that and what the initial school in this post did?
Old 04-04-18, 03:03 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Con_Alma View Post
Is it viewed any differently if a public school does it??? ...because they do. Public schools are having "signing days" for their 8th graders now.

https://twitter.com/CoachWells1/stat...72577559678976

https://twitter.com/CoachWells1/stat...69658236080130

There's an individual picture/tweet of each kid that "signed" and "committed".

Is that "unsavory"? What's the difference between that and what the initial school in this post did?
The "signing day" portion of it is unsavory to me. However, we're talking about a closed enrollment school here. And one with a competitive balance number of zero. That's different from what VASJ is doing.
Old 04-04-18, 05:17 PM
All American

Con_Alma is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
The "signing day" portion of it is unsavory to me. However, we're talking about a closed enrollment school here. And one with a competitive balance number of zero. That's different from what VASJ is doing.
So it’s unsavory to you. I guess we see it differently. It doesn’t bother me very much. Do you believe it’s OK for one school to do it and not another...ie. closed enrollment vs open? Is it bad to promote the kids coming to your school and program?
Old 04-04-18, 05:33 PM
All Ohio

CincyIllinifan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Con_Alma View Post
So it’s unsavory to you. I guess we see it differently. It doesn’t bother me very much. Do you believe it’s OK for one school to do it and not another...ie. closed enrollment vs open? Is it bad to promote the kids coming to your school and program?
Sure, but you’re glossing over the VASJ tweet, which states, “We still have offers out to a few more guys.”

How do rationalize that?
Closed Thread