Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-26-18, 08:43 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
No Hitters

Please post pitchers (or group of pitchers) who throw a no-hitter this season...
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-18, 08:44 PM
Go Buckeyes

Walsh Jesuit 11, Western Reserve 0 (5 innings)

No hitter: Burford, Feltner, Kahook, Stahl, Bailey, Belsole and Labajetta
Old 03-26-18, 11:23 PM
All Ohio

Hitnrun is on a distinguished road
So this early Spring season, Walsh throws a combined 7 pitchers, 5 inning no hitter. While Copley allows it's ace, Hayes, to throw 124 pitches, in their first game, a non league one at that, for a masterful 1 hit 2-0 win. Although it's pretty obvious Walsh has an abundance of quality arms, Walsh coach still elected to limit each kid's pitch count this early in the season. I'm sure most other programs also elect to use some common sense w/their young arms, especially in the cool, wet N.E. Ohio weather. But, that's par for the course at Copley. You basically have one high quality arm, so why not burn the guy up in an early seemingly meaningless contest. Look for this pattern to continue for Hayes, as there is little to nothing proven behind him on that staff. I just hope the kid can stay healthy throughout the season.
Old 03-27-18, 08:05 AM
All Ohio

Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitnrun View Post
So this early Spring season, Walsh throws a combined 7 pitchers, 5 inning no hitter. While Copley allows it's ace, Hayes, to throw 124 pitches, in their first game, a non league one at that, for a masterful 1 hit 2-0 win. Although it's pretty obvious Walsh has an abundance of quality arms, Walsh coach still elected to limit each kid's pitch count this early in the season. I'm sure most other programs also elect to use some common sense w/their young arms, especially in the cool, wet N.E. Ohio weather. But, that's par for the course at Copley. You basically have one high quality arm, so why not burn the guy up in an early seemingly meaningless contest. Look for this pattern to continue for Hayes, as there is little to nothing proven behind him on that staff. I just hope the kid can stay healthy throughout the season.
Some coaches just don't get it. Wait until league games to have them pitch more than 2 inn/40 pitches. Weather has been cold and the games really don't mean anything.
Old 03-27-18, 10:47 AM
Varsity

Friday night light is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_98 View Post
Some coaches just don't get it. Wait until league games to have them pitch more than 2 inn/40 pitches. Weather has been cold and the games really don't mean anything.
Hays is a very talented kid who needs to be saved from his idiot coach. I was at the game and it was cold!! I kept waiting as he approached 90 pitches through five innings, then 110 after 6. I was stunned when he came out for the seventh. Coach had no intention of taking him out no matter what. I just hope he hasn't damaged this kid to much going forward. That kind of stupidity can have a lasting effect the rest of the season and beyond. It was obvious he was laboring a little and going purely on adrenaline. This kid has a future in the game beyond a meaningless non conference season opener. That coach should not be handling young players if he puts winning ahead of the well being of the kids!!!! Disgraceful!!!!!
Old 03-27-18, 11:14 AM
Go Buckeyes

Didn't this happen with him last season? Copley looked great to start the season but ended the year towards the bottom of the league.
Old 03-27-18, 11:37 AM
All Ohio

I also was there last night, but how he handled Hayes was not a surprise to me. I have seen this for years. Coach has a history of this, going back to when he was the pitching coach. Their philosophy then, as it is now, if you have a designated ace, that kid is expected to throw a complete game every time out, regardless of number of pitches thrown, weather, non league or league game. Last year Hayes had some arm issues during the off season, into early Spring. It didn't become serious, but with the stress they put on him, hopefully he can stay healthy. With Hayes already committed to Bowling Green, I doubt their coach would appreciate his future recruit throwing 120 pitches plus this early in the season, especially with the known philosophy of the coach's handling their # 1 pitchers The real issue for Copley will be when Hayes doesn't pitch. Last year very few pitchers got the chance to develop, due to their limited schedule, lack of makeups, weather, etc. They just didn't make up cancelled games, other than league contests.
Old 03-27-18, 01:21 PM
All District

Baseballmom13 is on a distinguished road
What was this coach thinking? And where were the parents? Also, the kid needs to learn about arm care at this age If no one else is gonna care for his arm, he must. I have no problem with kid speaking up, respectfully, to advocate for his own health. If the situation is as described, I don’t think kid needs to worry about losing his spot in the rotation, and if he does, so be it. Health is a priority in this case.
Old 03-27-18, 01:33 PM
All Ohio

Actually surprised kid's father hasn't spoken up, considering he has seen this pattern for 3 years now, and had issues with the handling of his son's pitch count specifically last year. There were more than a few times last season when dad became pretty upset w/coach. After last night, I would have to believe there will be a meeting of the minds between the two. I just don't want to see this kid get his arm roasted so early in the season.
Old 03-27-18, 02:12 PM
All District

Baseballmom13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Actually surprised kid's father hasn't spoken up, considering he has seen this pattern for 3 years now, and had issues with the handling of his son's pitch count specifically last year. There were more than a few times last season when dad became pretty upset w/coach. After last night, I would have to believe there will be a meeting of the minds between the two. I just don't want to see this kid get his arm roasted so early in the season.
Speaking up after 124 pitches is just too late
Old 03-27-18, 03:11 PM
All Ohio

Couldn't agree more. It's ultimately up to each kid's parent to advocate for their kid's well being. Seems like that old school mentality of handling young arms is still in full force with some coaches. If we as parent's don't deal with this type of coaching, who will?
Old 03-29-18, 06:57 PM
All District

BASESWIMPARENT is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately, I have see this pitch count issue everywhere. It is rampant at al levels (frosh, JV, varsity) down here in SWO.
Old 03-30-18, 11:55 AM
All Ohio

rghrider98 is on a distinguished road
Pitch count issues have been going on in HS baseball for a very long time. This isn't something new.
Old 04-09-18, 08:55 PM
All World

troyboy73 is on a distinguished road
Derek McDonough (Troy) threw a perfect game tonight in a 10-0 win over Sidney.
Old 04-09-18, 09:14 PM
All Yappi

thePITman is on a distinguished road
Brock Berry (Orrville) threw a CG no-hitter facing 2 over the minimum (75 pitches) in a 6-0 over Fairless tonight.
Old 04-10-18, 12:39 PM
Freshman

SlowDog4 is on a distinguished road
Shane Gray, West Jefferson (Evansville) has posted two no-hitters this season
Def. Bishop Ready 14-0, 5 inn, 1 BB, 12 Ks
Def. Springfield Northeastern 1-0, 7 inn, 1 BB, 7 Ks

Roughriders are 9-0 overall, 4-0 league on the season
Old 04-10-18, 08:11 PM
All Region

Salesman is on a distinguished road
http://thecourier.com/local-sports/2...hrows-a-no-no/
Old 04-10-18, 08:22 PM
Freshman

FanofCopley is on a distinguished road
Tyler Hays, Copley (BGSU commit) throws no hitter and strikes out 21 (92 pitches) in 4-0 win over Revere.
Old 04-10-18, 11:21 PM
All Ohio

Michael Hirn is on a distinguished road
Noah Otto of Miller City tosses no-hitter against Ft Jennings 4/9/18

Ft Jennings 0
Miller City 5
Old 04-11-18, 10:28 AM
All Ohio

BlueDevil Backer is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofCopley View Post
Tyler Hays, Copley (BGSU commit) throws no hitter and strikes out 21 (92 pitches) in 4-0 win over Revere.
Was it a no hitter or a 1 hitter? In box score I saw showed 1 hit. May have been an error, but just trying to clarify?
Old 04-11-18, 11:18 AM
Freshman

FanofCopley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevil Backer View Post
Was it a no hitter or a 1 hitter? In box score I saw showed 1 hit. May have been an error, but just trying to clarify?
No hitter in the Copley scorebook. Copley does not report stats to ABJ so it has be Revere reporting details. Revere bunted and Copley infielder bounced throw and was wide...pulling 1st base off bag. Runner would have been out by a full step. He also hit a batter. Zero walks.

Last edited by FanofCopley; 04-11-18 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-11-18, 09:15 PM
All Yappi

Zev McBane (West Salem Northwestern) threw a perfect game tonight with 13 Ks, beating Rittman 4-0.
Old 04-21-18, 08:10 PM
All Region

Salesman is on a distinguished road
On Friday 4/20/18, Owen Recker from Kalida HS threw a no-no against Columbus Grove. 18Ks and 2BB in a 1-0 victory. Recker is now 3-0 on the season.
Old 04-22-18, 07:59 PM
All Region

222left is on a distinguished road
Jordan Shearer Louisville Leopards throws a Perfect Game vs Salem on 4/18/2018.

Old 04-23-18, 08:12 AM
Varsity

Rusty Anchor is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Pitch counts are fake news. Walsh coach should be ashamed to not allow his starter to get a no hitter.
Old 04-23-18, 08:14 AM
Varsity

Rusty Anchor is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 222left View Post
Jordan Shearer Louisville Leopards throws a Perfect Game vs Salem on 4/18/2018.

Wow what an awesome play by the first basemen to dig out the hotdog shortstops errant throw!
Old 04-23-18, 11:50 AM
Varsity

Leopard4life is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Anchor View Post
Wow what an awesome play by the first basemen to dig out the hotdog shortstops errant throw!
Interesting post, not sure if that is sarcastic or real? What in that play would cause you to classify him as a "hot dog"? I don't see all the games, but I have seen a bunch as well as other sports that particular kid plays, and I haven't seen anything that would suggest he is that. Two things I saw I that play were a nice job getting to that ball by SS, and a great pick by the first baseman to help him out. Typical play that happens 3-4 times a game I would guess where a throw is just a little off.
Old 04-23-18, 11:56 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard4life View Post
Interesting post, not sure if that is sarcastic or real? What in that play would cause you to classify him as a "hot dog"? I don't see all the games, but I have seen a bunch as well as other sports that particular kid plays, and I haven't seen anything that would suggest he is that. Two things I saw I that play were a nice job getting to that ball by SS, and a great pick by the first baseman to help him out. Typical play that happens 3-4 times a game I would guess where a throw is just a little off.
Rusty Anchor is basically the Donnie Baker of Yappi.

He purposefully posts sarcastically. Just check out his other posts on this thread about pitch counts. LoL
Old 04-23-18, 12:14 PM
Varsity

Leopard4life is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePITman View Post
Rusty Anchor is basically the Donnie Baker of Yappi.

He purposefully posts sarcastically. Just check out his other posts on this thread about pitch counts. LoL

Thanks for the heads up. I don't spend a ton time on here so I hadn't seen many of his posts.