Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-22-18, 07:02 AM
Varsity

candoattitude is on a distinguished road
Bloom carroll qb

Heard the Bloom Carroll QB is transferring. Any truth to this?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-18, 07:07 AM
All Yappi

LICKING COUNTY FAN is on a distinguished road
To where?
Old 03-22-18, 08:01 AM
Varsity

thedudeabides is on a distinguished road
Word on the street Huggie Bear is Pick North.
Old 03-22-18, 08:53 AM
Varsity

That's what I heard as well........Otto to Pick North. Will be a junior. Curious if it's just a rumor.
Old 03-22-18, 08:56 AM
All American

The Dock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by candoattitude View Post
That's what I heard as well........Otto to Pick North. Will be a junior. Curious if it's just a rumor.
It may just be a rumor, honestly. It would not be good for the image going from Liberty Union to Bloom-Carroll, only to go to Pickerington North in the end.

BC is currently experiencing a "bubble burst" of athletes. Athletes coming into the school the same time that other athletes are leaving.
Old 03-22-18, 09:31 AM
Varsity

thedudeabides is on a distinguished road
What does that mean for Lowery? Started at Central, went to North, went to Gahanna, rumored to be going back to North now that Weirick has graduated. Does he now head back to Gahanna? Getting hard to keep track of isn't it?
Old 03-22-18, 11:16 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudeabides View Post
What does that mean for Lowery? Started at Central, went to North, went to Gahanna, rumored to be going back to North now that Weirick has graduated. Does he now head back to Gahanna? Getting hard to keep track of isn't it?
One is led to believe that if Kuhns were to transfer to PN, then it could cause a chain reaction in Fairfield County with other possible quarterback moves. Question, though: if Lowery is at PN now and were to go back to GL, then would he have to sit five games? What is considered to be his "home district?"

Kuhns is a pretty solid player. Good measurements, strong skills as a quarterback. If he went to PN, I would imagine he could crest the smaller D1's a la Weirick/Wofford, Drake from W. Central/ETSU etc if afforded the coaching at PN and skills development that he might not otherwise get at Bloom-Carroll.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Maybe Lowery will transfer to PN. PN is hosting Lancaster this year, whereas Gahanna is making the trek down U.S. 33 this time around. Perhaps Lowery doesn't want to risk an "L" in L-Town?

Last edited by The Dock; 03-22-18 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-22-18, 03:12 PM
Junior Varsity

bigdude_222 is on a distinguished road
Home district doesnít matter, neither does private vs public. There are a certain number of exceptions that can be applied for, but this doesnít sound like it falls under any of them. He would sit 50% of the season. Talk is now they are discussing going to last 50%. Not official though.
Old 03-23-18, 06:23 AM
Freshman

Rock Chalk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post
One is led to believe that if Kuhns were to transfer to PN, then it could cause a chain reaction in Fairfield County with other possible quarterback moves. Question, though: if Lowery is at PN now and were to go back to GL, then would he have to sit five games? What is considered to be his "home district?"

Kuhns is a pretty solid player. Good measurements, strong skills as a quarterback. If he went to PN, I would imagine he could crest the smaller D1's a la Weirick/Wofford, Drake from W. Central/ETSU etc if afforded the coaching at PN and skills development that he might not otherwise get at Bloom-Carroll.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Maybe Lowery will transfer to PN. PN is hosting Lancaster this year, whereas Gahanna is making the trek down U.S. 33 this time around. Perhaps Lowery doesn't want to risk an "L" in L-Town?
Pot Stirred. I don't think he is too worried about the risk. I don't think it would be a good move for Lowery. But who knows.
Old 03-23-18, 08:04 AM
Freshman

Who Knows is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdude_222 View Post
Home district doesnít matter, neither does private vs public. There are a certain number of exceptions that can be applied for, but this doesnít sound like it falls under any of them. He would sit 50% of the season. Talk is now they are discussing going to last 50%. Not official though.
Home school does matter because he would not have to sit out if returning to what is considered his home school, as long as the player did not move district in which he lived. so for example if PN was his original school as a freshman, open enrolled as a sophomore to Gahanna but still live in Pickerington, then returned to PN as a senior he would not have to sit out.

Anyways in this situation I think there are many reasons as to why players leave. Is it administration, academics, coaching, exposure, or life altering situations? Why is it people always assume it is because the player is not happy at a certain place?
Old 03-23-18, 08:16 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Knows View Post
Anyways in this situation I think there are many reasons as to why players leave. Is it administration, academics, coaching, exposure, or life altering situations?
Maybe not specific to BC->PN, but it is interesting that the player the OP refers to is the most recent in a long line of quarterbacks to bolt from Liberty Union. LU has hemorrhaged at least four kids now in the past six years that have gone on to start at quarterback at various Fairfield County schools. I'm just somewhat curious why the move to Bloom-Carroll in the first place if BC will not end up being the final destination. Usually kids transfer into BC and stay there, although it is the case that BC is losing kids now as well to other schools.

Wonder what's happening at BC? I thought kids liked Wade. Maybe there is more to the picture behind the defections, and maybe they aren't necessarily football-related reasons. My guess is in the case of Kuhns is that PN offers better coaching and exposure, plus competition that makes him more attractive as a low-D1/D2 prospect at QB than if he stayed in the farmer league of the MSL-Buckeye. MSL-Buckeye does put kids into D1 usually, albeit not a whole ton. But, the talent difference between what he'd face at PN compared to BC is significant.

Quote:
Why is it people always assume it is because the player is not happy at a certain place?
Usually if a player and their family is content with what the current place offers, they see no incentive to change schools. That goes for all arenas, academic and athletic. Isn't that, inherently, a matter of being happy or "not happy"?
Old 03-23-18, 03:10 PM
Varsity

So the rumor is not confirmed?
Old 03-23-18, 09:46 PM
All World

Lambeau Fields will become famous soon enough
Pick North seems to have a little QB soap opera every few years. Christian Whitmer xferred there from Pick Central, by way of some place in Georgia I believe. Kris Goodman bailed from Pick North upon Whitmer's arrival and headed to Newark Catholic, where daddy bought him a starting QB job, only to watch Whitmer blow out his knee 10 plays into the first game of the season. Pick North had dig all the way down the depth chart to a little known freshman named.... Jimmy Weireck.

Is that the way it went down?
Old 03-23-18, 10:12 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambeau Fields View Post
Pick North seems to have a little QB soap opera every few years. Christian Whitmer xferred there from Pick Central, by way of some place in Georgia I believe. Kris Goodman bailed from Pick North upon Whitmer's arrival and headed to Newark Catholic, where daddy bought him a starting QB job, only to watch Whitmer blow out his knee 10 plays into the first game of the season. Pick North had dig all the way down the depth chart to a little known freshman named.... Jimmy Weireck.

I believe, although thedudeabides can correct me where I am wrong, that the year Goodman left for Newark Catholic is also the same year that Rodney Myers, Jr (who was somewhat in the mix for the starting QB gig, I guess, think he was above Weirick on the depth chart) left for Harvest Prep. I want to say it was 2014?
Old 03-26-18, 11:38 AM
All District

The Matic is on a distinguished road
If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then it's a DUCK! The PN guy is a recruiter!! Just ask the Reynoldsburg HC. Why would any parent want their kid to play for a guy who recruits kids to take their jobs? You work your tail off to move up the ladder just to have the HC recruit some kid to take your job..... no way as a parent I would let my HC do this to my kid. But hey maybe it's not about growth and hard work in P-town, its about ring chasing (at all costs).
Old 03-26-18, 12:27 PM
All Region

AHM is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Matic View Post
If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then it's a DUCK! The PN guy is a recruiter!! Just ask the Reynoldsburg HC. Why would any parent want their kid to play for a guy who recruits kids to take their jobs? You work your tail off to move up the ladder just to have the HC recruit some kid to take your job..... no way as a parent I would let my HC do this to my kid. But hey maybe it's not about growth and hard work in P-town, its about ring chasing (at all costs).
There is lots of smoke about the new PickNorth coach and recruiting. Several high school ADs and coaches have contacted the Pickerington AD and administration about it, but they have refused to take the allegations seriously. I know that the OHSAA has been alerted to this. I know one coach who has documentation of contact between the PickNorth staff and one of their players and families.
Old 03-26-18, 01:53 PM
All Ohio

Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Goodman's dad must not have paid enough money because he platooned his first year with Wollenburg. The senior class in 2014 didn't have a QB because Fitzgerald went back to Mt. Vernon and Crouch graduated.
Old 03-26-18, 03:17 PM
All Region

Pickeringtonsports is on a distinguished road
From a pretty reliable source regarding the BC QB:
He was planning to transfer to Pick North and his dad supposedly was talking about it at a Pick North basketball game.
For whatever reason, I don't think he is going to end up at Pick North.
I have heard the Michael Lowery rumors but I don't have any additional information.
As far as transferring/recruiting goes, QB is the one position where it makes sense to transfer to a better opportunity. Typically, only one QB plays so if you are a class behind the starter, you end up not playing until you are a senior. Since you are the backup QB, you most likely will not play another position. Also, some offenses are much more QB friendly than others. So, Pickerington North will always be an attractive team for an up and coming QB if a spot is open which it is.
Old 03-26-18, 08:02 PM
All World

Lambeau Fields will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_98 View Post
Goodman's dad must not have paid enough money because he platooned his first year with Wollenburg..
The fact that they even platooned should tell you something was fishy. Woolenburg was far superior.
Old 03-27-18, 07:57 AM
All Ohio

Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The fact that they even platooned should tell you something was fishy. Woolenburg was far superior.
I'm not sure what games you were watching but neither of them were good. To say Jack was far superior over Kris makes me wonder if you are related to Wollenburg. Jack could run the ball, but he couldn't throw. Not only couldn't he throw, he refused to throw. He would rather tuck the ball and run. Kris was a bit better throwing but not by a whole lot. Didn't matter either way. The OC was terrible and didn't know what he was doing. They ran the Veer and were never good at it. Plus, having 150-165lb lineman when you have 280 pounders sitting on the sidelines doesn't help. Billy loves his speedy lineman though.
Old 03-27-18, 07:02 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Home school does matter because he would not have to sit out if returning to what is considered his home school, as long as the player did not move district in which he lived. so for example if PN was his original school as a freshman, open enrolled as a sophomore to Gahanna but still live in Pickerington, then returned to PN as a senior he would not have to sit out.

Anyways in this situation I think there are many reasons as to why players leave. Is it administration, academics, coaching, exposure, or life altering situations? Why is it people always assume it is because the player is not happy at a certain place?
The rule is now that if he played for another school district las season, he sits 50%. Home district used to matter. Not anymore. OHSAA is trying to prevent school jumping.
Old 03-28-18, 06:27 PM
All District

yipyap is on a distinguished road
As they should.
Old 03-29-18, 07:38 PM
Freshman

Hartley1 is on a distinguished road
I am assuming everyone knows this but Pickerington is NOT open enrollment. You must live in Pickerington to go there. Just as the D-linemen from Gahanna's family moved into Pickerington. When your family moves you do not have to sit. I believe Pickerington is the only school in Fairfield County that is not open enrollment.

How do you recruit in High School? I can see recruiting within Pickerington, Dublin, Hilliard or Olentangy since those kids can choose where they go... But not sure how high school coaches are "recruiting" to go to schools where you have to live in the community. Are they offering houses to live in?

The teams that win get blamed for recruiting: Coffman, Pickerington's, Bradley... And all the Catholic schools throughout the state.

These schools all self-recruit. They are great communities with good schools that are growing... they are great places to live. Many parents move to the community or school that best fits their child or they pay for their children to go to a private school. This is Columbus, a big city... people move, change jobs and schools. Relax.

If a parent thinks to move from a small town to Pickerington will help their child... why do you have an issue with that? It will give the child more opportunities in everything... not just athletics. Just make sure you are ready to pay the taxes in Pickerington!!

Last edited by Hartley1; 03-29-18 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-29-18, 07:47 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley1 View Post
I am assuming everyone knows this but Pickerington is NOT open enrollment. You must live in Pickerington to go there. Just as the D-linemen from Gahanna's family moved into Pickerington.

How do you recruit in High School? I can see the recruiting within Pickerington, Dublin, Hilliard or Olentangy since those kids can choose where they go... But not sure how people are "recruited" to go to schools where you have to live in the community.

The teams that win get blamed for recruiting: Coffman, Pickerington's, Bradley... And all the Catholic schools throughout the state.

Since Burchfield took over everyone claims we recruit because we win. You have to pay $10,000 a year to go to Hartley. You don't just transfer there.
No, you don’t! You just need to live in the district, which is NOT the same as living in Pickerington.

And yes, Hartley recruits. I know of multiple primary sources, as well as my own first-hand observation, that support the claim. They just do it (recruiting) legally.

More to the original point: both Pickerington schools have benefitted from athletic move-ins. Athens, Centerburg, John Glenn, Wayne... they are just a few of the several schools who have lost athletes to Pickerington schools in the last 2-3 years. Why do you think it’d be any different with the kid who already played at the schools on PLSD’s eastern and southern borders?

Re: the 10k/tuition @ Hartley... yeah, uh huh. Again, not the case.
Old 03-29-18, 08:19 PM
Junior Varsity

I retract my previous statement. I did some digging. You get one free move back to your district of residence. I personally donít like that rule, but can admit when Iím wrong. I apologize for the false information.
Old 03-30-18, 11:48 AM
All Region

Ill try and clear things up on this and be specific:

You must move to Pickerington. What PickNorth coaches are doing right now is trying to set kids up with apartments or get an uncle or someone else to get shared custody. Most of the kids that were named by "the Dock" have spent very few nights sleeping in Pickerington. He has a knowledge of what he is talking about. This is not conjecture; They have been reported to their administration and the OHSAA by several other schools.

The admin at PickNorth doesnt care. They are going to try to do whatever it takes to win at this point. Coach Phillips did not get into this, and he did not win as much in the end. The Admin obviously wanted them to go in a different direction and found a coach that was willing to do this.
Old 03-30-18, 07:19 PM
Freshman

Hartley1 is on a distinguished road
Really? Sounds like someone is a little bitter or jealous?

This thread was about the Carroll QB who is considering "moving" to PN for the opportunity to play at the highest level in high school... Please stop accusing PN coaches of trying to "arrange places to live" and getting kids to change custody... that is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a while. And I have heard a lot being a fan of Harltey!!! They have a young head coach that has done a great job. Was at Hamilton for 9 years and turned the program around. Probably the best young coach in Central Ohio. Coach Phillips went to the University of Cincinatti... Pick North hired the top young coach in Ohio... Do you know him? I don't and would never accuse someone of something when I don't know.

Pick Central just fired a track coach for texting a track athlete from another school... Pickerington is under a microscope right now from the OHSAA and their admin from what I hear.
Old 03-31-18, 07:40 AM
Varsity

pantherstat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHM View Post
Ill try and clear things up on this and be specific:

You must move to Pickerington. What PickNorth coaches are doing right now is trying to set kids up with apartments or get an uncle or someone else to get shared custody. Most of the kids that were named by "the Dock" have spent very few nights sleeping in Pickerington. He has a knowledge of what he is talking about. This is not conjecture; They have been reported to their administration and the OHSAA by several other schools.

The admin at PickNorth doesnt care. They are going to try to do whatever it takes to win at this point. Coach Phillips did not get into this, and he did not win as much in the end. The Admin obviously wanted them to go in a different direction and found a coach that was willing to do this.
As someone very close to the program I can tell you this is complete nonsense.
Old 03-31-18, 09:13 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherstat View Post
As someone very close to the program I can tell you this is complete nonsense.
Talk to coaches that have been in the program. Even as of recently that are not coming back.
Old 03-31-18, 10:45 AM
All World

queencitybuckeye will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHM View Post
Talk to coaches that have been in the program. Even as of recently that are not coming back.
Disgruntled people lie. Invite them to come here and make such claims (and put their names on it).