Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-06-18, 06:55 PM
Moderated User

sam the butcher is on a distinguished road
Massillon 2018

Massillon will try to build on 2017. They finally have a little stability in the coaching staff, the players seemed to buy into 1st year DC Craig Mcconnells system although it did take them a while, between week 8 and week 13 Massillons D gave up 11.6 ppg. A sign of growth compared to previous games and seasons. Offensively you couldn't have asked for more from Aiden Longwell, the sophomore was a leader and was very efficient and put up big numbers. Jamir Thomas was forced into action on offense due to injuries which limited his snaps on D. The region immediately improved when Perry returned to D2.

The Tigers open the season with St. V and their schedule includes a trip to Louisville.

H. St. V
A. GlenOak
H. Warren
Unknown
H. Firestone
H. Fitch
Unknown
H. E. St. Louis Ill.
A. Louisville
H. McKinley
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-18, 07:21 PM
Junior Varsity

T-Roy is on a distinguished road
Really looking forward to the next couple of years. We definitely have the talent to get there but can we beat Hoban?
Old 02-06-18, 08:00 PM
All World

BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
Sky's the limit for Longwell. Hopefully the coaches turn him loose early. Seemed like they didn't unleash him until it was almost too late in the first playoff game last season but after that he and the Massillon offense (and defense) were really solid. Should be a playoff team in whatever Region 7 looks like next year, and if in the field, likely the favorite.
Old 02-06-18, 08:32 PM
All American

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
I think they will pick up 6 wins minimum out of the 8 they scheduled so far. They could lose to SVSM again. And I know nothing about the Illinois team.
Old 02-06-18, 08:37 PM
All American

I'm guessing the Massillon Mentor series is done?
Old 02-06-18, 09:36 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
I think they will pick up 6 wins minimum out of the 8 they scheduled so far. They could lose to SVSM again. And I know nothing about the Illinois team.
Several decades ago USA Today awarded East St. Louis a national championship. All I can recall from the story was that East St. was one of the poorest, if not the poorest, towns in Illinois, and the only way out of the dump was a football scholarship.
Old 02-07-18, 12:26 AM
All American

Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
Several decades ago USA Today awarded East St. Louis a national championship. All I can recall from the story was that East St. was one of the poorest, if not the poorest, towns in Illinois, and the only way out of the dump was a football scholarship.
That was 1985, Bryan Cox who played for the Dolphins was on that team.
Old 02-07-18, 03:41 PM
All Region

Cali_Eagle is on a distinguished road
RE: East St Louis ILL Football...

Years ago there was an excellent book written that covered the town's history as it went from white to black and also from reasonably prosperous to one of the poorest cities in America. The book also covered the football program and it's (then) Head Coach, Bob Shannon. It's called "The Right Kind of Heroes.

It's probably available on Amazon for less than original cost and is a Great read about all aspects of East St Louis and it's football program. Coach Shannon's own story is fascinating too. (He is no longer coach, Wiki indicates he left ESL after trying to expose a corruption scandal. He coached at 2 other schools and has since retired from coaching.)

While he was there, East St Louis was a perennial Illinois State Power and a six time (during his term as HC) State Champion in football, winning the USA Today National Title twice also. I imagine they have been trying hard to live up to that standard in the years since. (They won the ILL State Title in 2008 after Shannon was gone.)

Last edited by Cali_Eagle; 02-07-18 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-07-18, 03:46 PM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali_Eagle View Post
RE: East St Louis ILL Football...

Year ago there was an excellent book written that covered the town's history as it went from white to black and also from reasonably prosperous to one of the poorest cities in America. The book also covered the football program and it's (then) Head Coach, Bob Shannon. It's called "The Right Kind of Heroes.

It's probably available on Amazon for less than original cost and is a Great read about all aspects of East St Louis and it's football program. Coach Shannon's own story is fascinating too. (He is no longer coach, Wiki indicates he left ESL after trying to expose a corruption scandal. He coached at 2 other schools and has since retired from coaching.)

While he was there, East St Louis was a perennial Illinois State Power and a sometime (at least twice) State Champion in football, I imagine they have been trying hard to live up to that standard in the years since.
The documentary, "89 Blocks", about the East St. Louis football program was shown on TV recently also.

https://www.si.com/high-school/2017/...louis-football
Old 02-07-18, 04:10 PM
Moderated User

GregG is on a distinguished road
$20,000 for a guaranteed win = smart investing

No other school in the nation that we could have signed with? One of the poorest cities in the country football team is getting a vacation to Massillon, enjoy it boys lol

I expect final four this year, I wished they signed Iggy.
Old 02-07-18, 04:30 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregG View Post

No other school in the nation that we could have signed with? One of the poorest cities in the country football team is getting a vacation to Massillon, enjoy it boys lol

Nah, i think Massillon is better off playing an easier schedule for the next few years at least. It seems to me that their problems from before came from playing too hard of a schedule and the powers that be in massillon being to prideful to recognize Massillon isnt what it once was. A result of their scheduling resulted in Massillons players teeth getting kicked in, hurting their confidence. Now that they eased their schedule, they get more wins and more confidence and look to be improving again. I say keep that easier schedule for the time being and continue to develop that confidence. Build on that success even if it is aided by a weaker schedule.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-18, 04:59 PM
All Ohio

OBIE-WON is an unknown quantity at this point
Both sides of line play will dictate how the games go. We lost some talent there.
Old 02-07-18, 05:06 PM
All Region

Cali_Eagle is on a distinguished road
Quote:

East St Louis was one of America's poorest cities when Coach Shannon was leading them to 6 Illinois State Titles. I doubt it's a guaranteed win for the Tigers. Glenville is in a very poor area (economically) of a very poor city (again, economically) in Cleveland and they have been competitive in the recent past against State Powers.

I think Massillon should play a schedule that prepares them to contend for, and win, a D2 Title in Ohio. That's the level they are currently at, getting beat up by teams with much larger enrollment doesn't serve them well. My way of saying I don't think getting pounded by Mentor in last years opener served them at all for the season that ensued.

I'm an outsider and my opinion, of course, doesn't matter much compared to those a lot closer to the Tiger program. If it was up to me though, I'd be scheduling at least some teams at the D2 State Semis & Championship level, but probably not too much higher or larger than that. And certainly not a lot lower either.
Old 02-07-18, 05:09 PM
All Yappi

Maxie can only hope to improve
Quote:
Nah, i think Massillon is better off playing an easier schedule for the next few years at least. It seems to me that their problems from before came from playing too hard of a schedule and the powers that be in massillon being to prideful to recognize Massillon isnt what it once was. A result of their scheduling resulted in Massillons players teeth getting kicked in, hurting their confidence. Now that they eased their schedule, they get more wins and more confidence and look to be improving again. I say keep that easier schedule for the time being and continue to develop that confidence. Build on that success even if it is aided by a weaker schedule.

Now, a Coventry fan. When does it end.
Old 02-07-18, 05:10 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie View Post
Am i wrong? If im wrong, feel free to point out where? I dont think where im from or whose team i support is relevent to whether my post is right or wrong.

Old 02-07-18, 05:14 PM
All American

I have nothing against massillon. Im just intrigued by the going ons in titletown, usa.

Old 02-07-18, 05:23 PM
All Yappi

You missed the point. The reason for your post is to ridicule the Massillon program and the Tiger players. Why?
Old 02-07-18, 05:31 PM
All American

Quote:
You missed the point. The reason for your post is to ridicule the Massillon program and the Tiger players. Why?
Nowhere did i intend to ridicule your program or your players. If i come across that way, I apologize. Im merely stating that Massillons program isnt what it once was. Is that ridicule? I was merely arguing that playing an easier schedule has helped and will continue to help Massillon get back to what it once was. Is that ridicule? I did not.mean it as such, but if that was how you read it, than, I apologize. I only want to see Massillon win state titles again. Its good for the sport.

Old 02-07-18, 05:33 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I have nothing against massillon. Im just intrigued by the going ons in titletown, usa.

I have heard that before. A Coventry fan cares about the "going ons", in Massillon. LOL!!
Old 02-07-18, 05:41 PM
All American

Quote:
I have heard that before. A Coventry fan cares about the "going ons", in Massillon. LOL!!
Again why does it matter who I support. Obviously Coventry, of which im a recent grad, is not a football powerhouse. This past season, was possibly only the second winning season since 2000. But I still am allowed to take an interest in what happens in the high school football world around me. I can follow and respect teams accomplishments/storylines even if they have nothing to do with coventry. And i feel no shame in getting involved in discussions regarding other teams on yappi, a public forum. Again, if i am indeed incorrect in my posts, feel free to correct me. Since your obviously much more in the know over massillon than I am.

At any rate Im surprised that one would choose to point out the school i follow over the sports I follow, based on my username.

Last edited by CoventryTrackXCguy; 02-07-18 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-07-18, 05:50 PM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
With attractions like Walmart, the empty lot where Wendy's burnt down, and The Trax, this is gonna be the vacation of their lives!
Old 02-07-18, 05:52 PM
Moderated User

sam the butcher is on a distinguished road
I believe him maxie. I don't think he has a history of taking shots at Massillon, does he? Either way, there are enough people who will eventually take this thread over with their anti Massillon takes, lets keep this on topic as long as we can.
Old 02-07-18, 06:06 PM
Moderated User

GregG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You make it sound like we Massillon canít handle criticism.

Why do my fellow brothers whine so much?

Itís his opinion and itís a message board forum, go down to the Lincoln way McDonaldís for one sided opinions...geesh
Old 02-07-18, 06:19 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam the butcher View Post
I believe him maxie. I don't think he has a history of taking shots at Massillon, does he? Either way, there are enough people who will eventually take this thread over with their anti Massillon takes, lets keep this on topic as long as we can.

Okay. I'll take your word. This is your thread.
Old 02-07-18, 06:52 PM
All American

The Tigers will have 16 starters back, not to mention many more who started because of injuries. The fresh and soph classes are loaded with talent. The D will have to improve especially stopping the run.
Old 02-07-18, 07:26 PM
All World

firewatch is on a distinguished road
Quote:

You might want to check out East St Louis before you call them an easy win. They are far far from that.
Old 02-07-18, 07:53 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewatch View Post
You might want to check out East St Louis before you call them an easy win. They are far far from that.

You are correct. Some of the posters think East St. Louis is the same program like scheduling Akron East and Mayfield. Not a clue.
Old 02-07-18, 08:45 PM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You are correct. Some of the posters think East St. Louis is the same program like scheduling Akron East and Mayfield. Not a clue.
What is it that you're alluding to concerning Mayfield? I suspect you're the one without a clue.
Old 02-07-18, 08:56 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
What is it that you're alluding to concerning Mayfield? I suspect you're the one without a clue.

LOL!! If Mayfield is comparable to East St.Louis, you are clueless.
Old 02-07-18, 09:19 PM
All American

East St Louis is 44-17 over the last 5 seasons with a state title in class 7A in 2016.