Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-31-18, 07:37 AM
Varsity

Lex Luger is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by fac974 View Post
With ndcl building a $300,000 fieldhouse. Should help attract some future student athletes to the school.
I hope your correct, i would like to see a local powerhouse on the east side.
But I believe NDCL looks like hard times approaching. Unless drastic measures taken.
Old 03-31-18, 08:09 AM
All District

fac974 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex Luger View Post
I hope your correct, i would like to see a local powerhouse on the east side.
But I believe NDCL looks like hard times approaching. Unless drastic measures taken.
From the way the landscape currently looks. Iím anticipating a 4-5year skid from ndcl. But with that fieldhouse and some other future upgrades. They should bounce back sooner rather than later.
Old 03-31-18, 09:59 AM
Varsity

Quote:
From the way the landscape currently looks. Iím anticipating a 4-5year skid from ndcl. But with that fieldhouse and some other future upgrades. They should bounce back sooner rather than later.
I hope your correct but after a 4/5 year hard times itís hard to spin that into a winner unless the nuns actually recruit. Which last time I checked nuns arenít into recruiting.
Old 03-31-18, 10:16 AM
All American

sehs
I'm a St. Ed's guy but from the West side it has always looked to me like Benedictine's culture; home of champions, tradition of excellence and several high profile alumni along with what used to be a willingness to play anyone anywhere gave them a lot more respect than NDCL. (I know the play anyone anywhere mentality just isn't feasible anymore but I do miss the Benedictine-St. Ed's games) Not knocking the old Latin but when they merged with NDCL they lost a lot of their own swagger. I know they've had some successful teams but I would not call any of those teams from the past decade a state title contender. They are a nice school for nice kids from nice families, they do not seem to have a strong commitment to trying to bring in many kids from the city that could benefit from a strong education. I know part of this is the fact they are out in Chardon too. I will always give Bene high marks for sticking in the neighborhood they are in and weathering storms from it. The Ray Williams incident would have been a program back breaker for many and there were lots of years where Benedictine struggled football wise but they still had a desire to compete for titles and eventually won more. They still have a very blue collar attitude to school and sports, something I could not say about NDCL.

All of the Catholic schools are in enrollment trouble if they cannot figure out how to come up with more cash to supplement their tuitions. Add in that the Northeast Ohio area continues to lose population and these schools are competing for less and less students. This is effecting football programs the worst since it can be a very numbers oriented sport with injuries and the toll it takes.
Old 03-31-18, 10:22 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehs View Post
I'm a St. Ed's guy but from the West side it has always looked to me like Benedictine's culture; home of champions, tradition of excellence and several high profile alumni along with what used to be a willingness to play anyone anywhere gave them a lot more respect than NDCL. (I know the play anyone anywhere mentality just isn't feasible anymore but I do miss the Benedictine-St. Ed's games) Not knocking the old Latin but when they merged with NDCL they lost a lot of their own swagger. I know they've had some successful teams but I would not call any of those teams from the past decade a state title contender. They are a nice school for nice kids from nice families, they do not seem to have a strong commitment to trying to bring in many kids from the city that could benefit from a strong education. I know part of this is the fact they are out in Chardon too. I will always give Bene high marks for sticking in the neighborhood they are in and weathering storms from it. The Ray Williams incident would have been a program back breaker for many and there were lots of years where Benedictine struggled football wise but they still had a desire to compete for titles and eventually won more. They still have a very blue collar attitude to school and sports, something I could not say about NDCL.

All of the Catholic schools are in enrollment trouble if they cannot figure out how to come up with more cash to supplement their tuitions. Add in that the Northeast Ohio area continues to lose population and these schools are competing for less and less students. This is effecting football programs the worst since it can be a very numbers oriented sport with injuries and the toll it takes.
Great post
Well thought out
Old 03-31-18, 04:56 PM
Varsity

fr willie is on a distinguished road
Parkhaven since you know ALL the NCL school test scores why don't you post them. This is a Benedictine forum for Benedictine fans..Please take your hate elsewhere .We do a very good job educating our young men and have many success stories.
Old 03-31-18, 09:44 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr willie View Post
Parkhaven since you know ALL the NCL school test scores why don't you post them. This is a Benedictine forum for Benedictine fans..Please take your hate elsewhere .We do a very good job educating our young men and have many success stories.
Because he is a hater, he is jealous of Benedictine success, he needs to place blame on why his school doesnít win year in year out. And Iím saying this hoping NDCL starts a winning tradition.
Old 03-31-18, 11:29 PM
All District

parkhaven is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Sorry, I am not being paid to do your research. Beyond that, you are the challenger. The burden is on you to disprove what I wrote. In free societies. an actor has no duty to explain anything subject to the doctrine of innocent until proven guilty. It is in the communist countries where the defendant is required to prove their innocence.
Old 04-01-18, 12:40 AM
All District

Quote:
In a nevermore increasingly technical and complex environment, the competition to attract students is going to be won in the academic realm and not on a football field. That is where NDCL has a huge edge. The students who are looking to attend NDCL are not the students who will settle for the likes of Benedictine or LC.
Old 04-01-18, 12:42 AM
All District

All of the Catholic schools have enrollment problems?

Quote:
Great post
Well thought out
Not all of them.
Old 04-01-18, 10:35 AM
All American

sehs
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkhaven View Post
Not all of them.
I did not say they all did now, I said they all would have problems if they cannot figure out their funding. Iím also not completely sold on NDCLís academic rep compared to all the other schools. Anyone can fire a loaded gun, when your admissions standards already are academically high then of course their scores will look better. Whatís more impressive? Taking an A student and keeping him an A student or taking a CMSD C student and making him college ready as Benedictine often does. The teachers and administrators at Benedictine take academics just as serious as their NDCL counterparts, however the starting points of many of their students are lower to begin with. This is no knock on them just a reality. However the elitism of your posts seem to view this as a negative through the lens of ďtheir sports are better than ours, it must be because they do not emphasize class over sports.Ē What do you say about Eds and Ignatius? Both have better academic reputations than NDCL and much better sports programs.
Old 04-01-18, 11:27 AM
Varsity

Ndcl is the HARVARD of the highschool education! Best academics in the country. Nothing better. Albert Einstein flunked out, do to acedemic challenges.

APRIL FOOLS!
Old 04-01-18, 09:48 PM
Junior Varsity

fatoldbengal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
With ndcl building a $300,000 fieldhouse. Should help attract some future student athletes to the school.
Come on, Benedictine has a $250,000 bus/abbey garage.
That was the cost forced on the school to tear down the old garage. Forced to replace a steel building with a block building...only way the monks would permit ground for Bossu Field.
Old 04-02-18, 06:51 AM
Varsity

First of all Mr Fat the Abbey does not use the bus garage at all.It is located on the school campus at the far end. Second, the previous bus garage was located in the middle of what is now the Bossu Field.There was no way they could have built the field with the garage down there. The garage HAD to be built for the buses to be repaired and stored. Maybe the emphasis should be placed on the OLD rather than the FAT.
Old 04-02-18, 07:20 AM
All Region

E.S. Furgeson is on a distinguished road
father,

During this, the Easter season, I would hope that you would exclude from Trump like jabs at your Benedictine brethren. After all, if I followed this thread correctly last year it was you who defended the honor of the school and was quick to defend current students, coaches and administrators. I would expect you to be just as respectful to alumni.

-furgie
Old 04-02-18, 07:30 AM
Varsity

No disrespect intended Mr Fergie..I just thought maybe age was catching up to Mr Fat since he says he is an alumni but doesn't seem to know the facts about the bus garage.I have never disrepected anyone on this forum.
Old 04-02-18, 07:48 AM
All District

fac974 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
First of all Mr Fat the Abbey does not use the bus garage at all.It is located on the school campus at the far end. Second, the previous bus garage was located in the middle of what is now the Bossu Field.There was no way they could have built the field with the garage down there. The garage HAD to be built for the buses to be repaired and stored. Maybe the emphasis should be placed on the OLD rather than the FAT.
You need to have a juice box and relax. Always so defensive. Always trying to one up people.
Old 04-02-18, 08:46 AM
Varsity

I am putting away my mouse and keyboard , going to drink a grape juice box and stay from this negative forum....
As always Go Bengals. Ora et Labora. Peace
Old 04-02-18, 11:43 AM
Junior Varsity

fatoldbengal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Abbey does not use garage at all? You mean DiGeronimo never works on Abbey cars? Really! Yes, the field is where the old garage stood, monks held up the school to get the expensive garage. They had a bid for one that was less than 100K. Before your time helping with athletic department good Father.

Committee discussed the garage for months, the abbey would not bend. Br. KGB held everything up. Then they gave the bid to a "loyal" alum and got raped. Utilities were an issue, water connect an issue and he had to run an electric line from the school...reason for the trench in the middle of parking lot.

Not negative about school Jake just factual. I know a great deal more than you, friends on the inside for this project.
Old 04-03-18, 03:42 PM
All Ohio

Findy15 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
For what it is worth, I never attended NDCL. That said, the school is known for its quality academics whereas Benedictine is not. (LC included with Benedictine in that regard obviously.) Benedictine football players think they are there to play football. The football players at the other NCL schools (LC excluded obviously) know they aren't.
NDCL is only known for their elitist attitude. Period. "We're better than everyone". Sounds a lot like your posts. parkhaven, to brag about your school, you need to be well rounded. Athletically, academically, and spiritually. NDCL passes none of the above. Test scores are for guys like you who don't look at the bigger picture. Benedictine helps students who may never get the chance to succeed academically at other schools, succeed. Our Brothers & Priests have given allegiance to our Great neighborhood. They could have left, closed the school, moved to the suburbs, as NDCL has, turning their backs on the community. They did not! It's much easier to point fingers looking in as an outsider, a suburbanite, without a real clue. That's for guys like you parkhaven.
At Benedictine, the entire team of faculty, staff, coaches, brothers & priests, roll up their sleeves to take boys to another level, make them better, achieve their goals, make them "Men of Benedictine" Unfortunately, parkhaven, you can never understand. I would never trade the experiences my son and I have had at Benedictine for any other high school in Cleveland.
Keep your lame opinions to yourself. If you have not walked in the shoes of a Man of Benedictine, you should have no comments about Benedictine, academically or otherwise. If you have had the opportunity, you should be ashamed of yourself. Thank You for your concerns. They are duly noted. Benedictine has survived for 91 years without you. They will be around for another 91 in spite of you.
Old 04-03-18, 04:49 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findy15 View Post
NDCL is only known for their elitist attitude. Period. "We're better than everyone". Sounds a lot like your posts. parkhaven, to brag about your school, you need to be well rounded. Athletically, academically, and spiritually. NDCL passes none of the above. Test scores are for guys like you who don't look at the bigger picture. Benedictine helps students who may never get the chance to succeed academically at other schools, succeed. Our Brothers & Priests have given allegiance to our Great neighborhood. They could have left, closed the school, moved to the suburbs, as NDCL has, turning their backs on the community. They did not! It's much easier to point fingers looking in as an outsider, a suburbanite, without a real clue. That's for guys like you parkhaven.
At Benedictine, the entire team of faculty, staff, coaches, brothers & priests, roll up their sleeves to take boys to another level, make them better, achieve their goals, make them "Men of Benedictine" Unfortunately, parkhaven, you can never understand. I would never trade the experiences my son and I have had at Benedictine for any other high school in Cleveland.
Keep your lame opinions to yourself. If you have not walked in the shoes of a Man of Benedictine, you should have no comments about Benedictine, academically or otherwise. If you have had the opportunity, you should be ashamed of yourself. Thank You for your concerns. They are duly noted. Benedictine has survived for 91 years without you. They will be around for another 91 in spite of you.
WOW! Iím with this guy! And I root to see NDCL turn into a sports powerhouse
Since I live in Geauga county! But this guy just spanked your elitist posts.
Old 04-04-18, 09:42 AM
Freshman

OSU_FB11 is on a distinguished road
This used to be a good page.... Lets pivot for a second.

Next season is the 15th anniversary of the 2003 State Title team. Is anything planned for recognizing that team?
Old 04-04-18, 10:19 AM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
I hope the Browns somehow land Jerome Baker in the 2nd or 3rd. Cleveland kid and absolutely love his game. Will miss watching him every week.
Old 04-04-18, 12:05 PM
Freshman

Ironmike is on a distinguished road
PH - Why are we distracting from the football dialog to carry on about academics? I understand NDCL has a great cafeteria, shall we compare notes on that also? I would also caution any Latin alum against bashing Bene. Bene's doors are still open. Wonder why the Latin alum why they started sending their kids elsewhere in the 70's, causing enrollment to shrivel to the point where they had to close the doors. Many ended up at Bene or Lake. Thankfully, the nuns threw a life-line. Peace, have a great day!
Old 04-05-18, 11:06 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
I hope the Browns somehow land Jerome Baker in the 2nd or 3rd. Cleveland kid and absolutely love his game. Will miss watching him every week.
The draft rumors on Baker are all over the place. A lot of chatter that he may be a Steeler as they like their LBs speedy, which is the strength of Jerome's game. Most scouts have him graded anywhere from a 3-5th round player. One quote was he runs like a WR but is also built like one. Some wory that he will have a similar fate as Shazier, another fast undersized tOSU LB. Could be looking at a 3rd down specialist that also plays a lot on special teams.
Old 04-06-18, 10:10 AM
All Region

DB 04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
The draft rumors on Baker are all over the place. A lot of chatter that he may be a Steeler as they like their LBs speedy, which is the strength of Jerome's game. Most scouts have him graded anywhere from a 3-5th round player. One quote was he runs like a WR but is also built like one. Some wory that he will have a similar fate as Shazier, another fast undersized tOSU LB. Could be looking at a 3rd down specialist that also plays a lot on special teams.
Iím shocked he didnít stay another year. He would be a 1st or 2nd round pick if he would of stayed.
Old 04-06-18, 06:59 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmike View Post
PH - Why are we distracting from the football dialog to carry on about academics? I understand NDCL has a great cafeteria, shall we compare notes on that also? I would also caution any Latin alum against bashing Bene. Bene's doors are still open. Wonder why the Latin alum why they started sending their kids elsewhere in the 70's, causing enrollment to shrivel to the point where they had to close the doors. Many ended up at Bene or Lake. Thankfully, the nuns threw a life-line. Peace, have a great day!
I get it. Benedictine doesn't have any interest in that fancy book learnin' and apparently, neither do you. LOL!
Old 04-06-18, 07:37 PM
Varsity

Quote:
I get it. Benedictine doesn't have any interest in that fancy book learnin' and apparently, neither do you. LOL!
This year NDCL is going to struggle to get to 5 wins. Trust me! Hit me up after season. And 2019- forever. The football program will be non existent. Unless the nuns start recruiting. They can build a field house but it will just be a factory of sadness as the browns stadium has been. Park haven stay in touch. I will be laughing at you for the next decade. For you to impugn Benedictine is a insult to everything NDCL stands for.
Old 04-06-18, 11:51 PM
All District

Quote:
This year NDCL is going to struggle to get to 5 wins. Trust me! Hit me up after season. And 2019- forever. The football program will be non existent. Unless the nuns start recruiting. They can build a field house but it will just be a factory of sadness as the browns stadium has been. Park haven stay in touch. I will be laughing at you for the next decade. For you to impugn Benedictine is a insult to everything NDCL stands for.
Apparently, you don't understand that it doesn't matter to me how well NDCL does in football. I didn't graduate from NDCL and have multiple degrees beyond my HS Diploma that are much more important to me than what I did in high school. My interest in NDCL is the superior academics. If they have a successful football program, so much the better. That said, I suspect that you are going to look foolish when the season is over. NDCL didn't have three standout seniors transfer out this year the way Benedictine did as far as I know and the NDCL fan base is smart enough not to advertise it if they did. LOL! The Bennie fan base is as dumb as a bag of hammers. Have you been talking to Augie lately. You know, one of those self designated "classy" Bennie fans who thinks that somehow Benedictine's football success rests on NDCL's failing? God, the Bennie fan base has cornered the market on stupidity and their state test scores attest to that.
Old 04-07-18, 06:26 AM
Varsity

I live in Geauga county and know nearly a hundred kids that have attended NDCL and all the near by schools. Many many of kids have transferred in and out of NDCL some praising the academics. Others claiming West Geauga and Chardon far superior. So I believe all school provide a good education. It’s what the students make out of it.
But NDCL football program ends in 2019 bank on it