Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-16-18, 11:37 AM
All World

14Red is on a distinguished road
Look folks, our pitching is our pitching, the glaring weakness right now is our bats. This team's on base percentage is .302 That's ON BASE PERCENTAGE! The team batting average is .224
This team has scored 44 runs in 15 games, that's less than 3 runs per game. Even a great pitching staff would struggle winning with these numbers.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-18, 11:43 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Look folks, our pitching is our pitching, the glaring weakness right now is our bats. This team's on base percentage is .302 That's ON BASE PERCENTAGE! The team batting average is .224
This team has scored 44 runs in 15 games, that's less than 3 runs per game. Even a great pitching staff would struggle winning with these numbers.
Insightful. You do know the pitching is giving up >6 runs/gm, right? They are at all facets.
Old 04-16-18, 12:15 PM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Suddenly 14Red is concerned with batting average and on base percentage, but ignored it for Billy for the last 4 years lol
Old 04-16-18, 12:16 PM
All World

WinstonSmith has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Old 04-16-18, 01:32 PM
All Yappi

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
Your love affair with Riggelman is strange. He's the definition of average and is quite old already. If they fire Price it'll be either John Farrell or Larkin who takes over imo.
Not in love with him, he definitely wouldnít be my top choice, just nice to have if other guys say no.

TBH, Iím skeptical on Larkin as Mgr. Iíd much prefer someone with real experience like Farrel or a long shot like Girardi.
Old 04-16-18, 01:59 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
Not in love with him, he definitely wouldn’t be my top choice, just nice to have if other guys say no.

TBH, I’m skeptical on Larkin as Mgr. I’d much prefer someone with real experience like Farrel or a long shot like Girardi.
There's no chance in hell Girardi comes here when the Cards, Giants, Braves, Phillies etc could all have openings by the end of the year. Bochy is probably going to retire after this year or next when his contract runs out. This organization isn't going anywhere, might as well give Larkin a shot before somebody else hires him imo.
Old 04-16-18, 02:23 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Suddenly 14Red is concerned with batting average and on base percentage, but ignored it for Billy for the last 4 years lol
Taco, do you realize Billy is overall, better than the average major league outfielder?? He's elite defensively, yes hit average and on base percentages are not good, but he scores 44% of the times he's on base, nearly unheard of.
Old 04-16-18, 02:24 PM
All World

Quote:
Not in love with him, he definitely wouldnít be my top choice, just nice to have if other guys say no.

TBH, Iím skeptical on Larkin as Mgr. Iíd much prefer someone with real experience like Farrel or a long shot like Girardi.
No one is going to want this job until we are good...Riggleman would take it because no one else wants it. Just keep Price for this season.
Old 04-16-18, 02:25 PM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Taco, do you realize Billy is overall, better than the average major league outfielder?? He's elite defensively, yes hit average and on base percentages are not good, but he scores 44% of the times he's on base, nearly unheard of.
That has nothing to do with what I said, but okay.
Old 04-16-18, 03:05 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
no he isnít.
Old 04-16-18, 03:20 PM
All Ohio

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
WRONG again. Same tired arguments. He is absolutely in the top 5% defensively, no doubt. Elite.

Offensively:
- 4th out of 75 qualified OF's in SB
- 13 out of 75 in runs scored
- 70 out of 75 in Batting Average
- 51 out of 75 in OBP
- 67 out of 75 in slugging
- 68 out of 75 in OPS

These categories are in line with what he does every year. He is far, far below average offensively, except for base-running, as we all know.

Anyone far below average offensively cannot make up for it with their glove. We shown you this repeatedly. Please try to learn.
Old 04-16-18, 04:42 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
No one is going to want this job until we are good...Riggleman would take it because no one else wants it. Just keep Price for this season.
My point is he might not want it after this yr if they push him to take this job mid season.

Farrell and Girardi are my top 2 by far.
Old 04-16-18, 04:47 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
There's no chance in hell Girardi comes here when the Cards, Giants, Braves, Phillies etc could all have openings by the end of the year. Bochy is probably going to retire after this year or next when his contract runs out. This organization isn't going anywhere, might as well give Larkin a shot before somebody else hires him imo.
I didnít say he would take the job, but at least reach out. Hiring a guy with no Mgr experience to take over a team like this would be a disaster.
Old 04-16-18, 05:45 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
For me it means that when I get home I am not going to turn it onto the REDS game everyday. I might tune in every now and then but not watching every game..

REDS fans were promised a competing team year in and out following the building of the new stadium. Teams have down years, I get that but this is too much. Done posting.... probably not. Yes, some do especially EP!

The whole organization needs to be cleaned out.
Excellent answer. Thank you.
Old 04-16-18, 05:56 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The Reds' team ERA is 5.83, the WORST in the Major Leagues and almost ONE RUN HIGHER than the 2nd-worst team.

The Reds have scored 44 runs, the 2ND WORST in the Major Leagues. The BA of .224 is 5TH WORST in the Major Leagues.

Yet you say the bats are our "glaring" weakness.
Old 04-16-18, 08:17 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Best Team Ever!!!!!
Old 04-16-18, 08:22 PM
All Yappi

Reds dominating.
Old 04-16-18, 09:09 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Reds dominating.
until the pitcher came up....

Castilla's great game turns into a not so good game statistically all on one 0-2 pitch.
Old 04-16-18, 10:18 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
Best Team Ever!!!!!
Somebody get this man the 1227 Award!!
Old 04-16-18, 10:21 PM
All World

Gh0st is on a distinguished road
The Reds are bad in every facet of the game. This far into a rebuild everyone expected better. They are regressing from last year.
Old 04-17-18, 04:39 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post

But Billy can suck faster than ANYONE!!
Old 04-17-18, 07:08 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
The Reds are bad in every facet of the game. This far into a rebuild everyone expected better. They are regressing from last year.
This is true. Still, the seasons already done. Will winning 70 games make you feel differently than winning 60? Fans need to be more focused on the draft and development of their top Farm players. The majority of this team wonít be around in 3 yrs when they might be able to compete.
Old 04-17-18, 07:40 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
The Reds' team ERA is 5.83, the WORST in the Major Leagues and almost ONE RUN HIGHER than the 2nd-worst team.

The Reds have scored 44 runs, the 2ND WORST in the Major Leagues. The BA of .224 is 5TH WORST in the Major Leagues.

Yet you say the bats are our "glaring" weakness.
Pitching was expected to struggle, still alot of question marks. I never dreamed we'd struggle scoring runs.

Why do you guys take on word on a opinion based message board and expound on it so much? I hope to goodness you don't do this in everyday conversation with people. I can see why you're on message boards all the time...no ability to converse normally...
Old 04-17-18, 07:50 AM
All Ohio

All we have on a message board are the words. It is all about the debate and discussion. Are you saying we should ignore your words? If only we could.

Don't say something inaccurate on a message board and then get upset when people jump on it and contradict you with actual facts.
Old 04-17-18, 09:36 AM
All World

Quote:
This is true. Still, the seasons already done. Will winning 70 games make you feel differently than winning 60? Fans need to be more focused on the draft and development of their top Farm players. The majority of this team won’t be around in 3 yrs when they might be able to compete.
No. Numerically it won't matter at all how much they win. It's very discouraging that we are seeing some of the fruits of the planned rebuild and they are not looking very good. It just extends how long this will take. It still needs to be done, but from a fan perspective it is hard to watch.

I am a little surprised because most of the front office came from the Cardinals, an organization that has pulled this off like clock work for a long time.
Old 04-17-18, 09:42 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
All we have on a message board are the words. It is all about the debate and discussion. Are you saying we should ignore your words? If only we could.

Don't say something inaccurate on a message board and then get upset when people jump on it and contradict you with actual facts.
That's the issue, it isn't debate and discussion, it turns into name calling and personal attacks. Just bring a take of some kind, I'll respect it. But to just nit pick others without ever having an original thought or idea is silly.
Old 04-17-18, 10:43 AM
All World

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No. Numerically it won't matter at all how much they win. It's very discouraging that we are seeing some of the fruits of the planned rebuild and they are not looking very good. It just extends how long this will take. It still needs to be done, but from a fan perspective it is hard to watch.

I am a little surprised because most of the front office came from the Cardinals, an organization that has pulled this off like clock work for a long time.
If they were so good the Cardinals would have retained them. You think tight azz Castellini ponied up the cash to hire real talent? Heck no.

St Louis fans opinion of Jocketty were negative. For some reason we were overjoyed when he came here. The writing was on the wall. He took over a good farm system and screwed it all up by not seeing the signs of a need for a rebuild, getting bad value on our assets, questionable trades and signings.

Whoever the talent evaluators for draft picks during the Krivsky years need to brought back. Krivsky had plenty of flaws and bad trades but someone on his staff knew how to evaluate talent in the draft because they built a competitive team.
Old 04-17-18, 10:49 AM
All Ohio

I post original thoughts and stats all the time. Here is another.

Developing young pitchers is part physical, part mental. I saw the 5th and 6th innings last night. Castillo was around 90 pitches after 5, so no way is he going 9 for the CG shutout.

Therefore, after the Reds stretch the lead to 9-0, and Castillo runs the bases, why would ding-a-ling Price send him back out there? Let the kid be finished, he gets a W with 5 scoreless innings, and feels good about himself. Confidence means a lot.

Now he ends up with another messy line (6.2 IP, 4 ER), and he still sits there looking at his 6.75 ERA until his next start. A supposed pitching guru like Price needs to know how important the mental side is for young pitchers. Another dumb move that goes unnoticed by the uninformed.
Old 04-17-18, 11:31 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
If they were so good the Cardinals would have retained them. You think tight azz Castellini ponied up the cash to hire real talent? Heck no.

St Louis fans opinion of Jocketty were negative. For some reason we were overjoyed when he came here. The writing was on the wall. He took over a good farm system and screwed it all up by not seeing the signs of a need for a rebuild, getting bad value on our assets, questionable trades and signings.

Whoever the talent evaluators for draft picks during the Krivsky years need to brought back. Krivsky had plenty of flaws and bad trades but someone on his staff knew how to evaluate talent in the draft because they built a competitive team.
I was hoping a little more would have rubbed off through osmosis.

I never really got the optimism around Jocketty. They mostly inherited prospects the team already had who panned out. Hard to look bad when you have a guy like Votto come through the farm system. The disaster we have now are the people he acquired.
Old 04-17-18, 11:58 AM
All Yappi

Quote:

Perazza, Hamilton, Reed, Finnegan, and Discalfani are disappointing, thatís true. However, not many other guys are integral parts of the rebuild. Votto, Suarez, Winker, Castillo, Mahle, Iglesias, thatís about it. Schebler, Duval, Gennet, Meso/Barnhart are expendable IMO.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: