Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Debate Forum

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-15-18, 01:48 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Chick-fil-As Creepy Infiltration of New York City

Do you agree with the writer that Chick-fil-A opening stores is a "creepy infiltration of New York City?

Quote:
New York has taken to Chick-fil-A. One of the Manhattan locations estimates that it sells a sandwich every six seconds, and the company has announced plans to open as many as a dozen more storefronts in the city. And yet the brand’s arrival here feels like an infiltration, in no small part because of its pervasive Christian traditionalism. Its headquarters, in Atlanta, are adorned with Bible verses and a statue of Jesus washing a disciple’s feet. Its stores close on Sundays. Its C.E.O., Dan Cathy, has been accused of bigotry for using the company's charitable wing to fund anti-gay causes, including groups that oppose same-sex marriage. “We’re inviting God’s judgment on our nation,” he once said, “when we shake our fist at him and say, ‘We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage.’ ” The company has since reaffirmed its intention to “treat every person with honor, dignity and respect,” but it has quietly continued to donate to anti-L.G.B.T. groups. When the first stand-alone New York location opened, in 2015, a throng of protesters appeared. When a location opened in a Queens mall, in 2016, Mayor Bill de Blasio proposed a boycott. No such controversy greeted the opening of this newest outpost. Chick-fil-A’s success here is a marketing coup. Its expansion raises questions about what we expect from our fast food, and to what extent a corporation can join a community.
Read more:
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/an...-new-york-city
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-18, 01:51 PM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
de Blasio is a wonk. Chick-fil-A could be sponsored by ISIS and folks would still flock to it.
Old 04-15-18, 01:51 PM
All American

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Its New York what do you expect.
Old 04-15-18, 01:53 PM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Old 04-15-18, 02:26 PM
All American

Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Do you agree with the writer that Chick-fil-A opening stores is a "creepy infiltration of New York City?

Read more:
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/an...-new-york-city
No. It's a good business decision apparently.
Old 04-15-18, 03:50 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
I've been going to Chick-Fila-A for a long time. Never had to pass a Bible test to receive my food.
Old 04-15-18, 03:59 PM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Liberals never cease to amuse.
Old 04-15-18, 04:02 PM
All World

queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
I've been going to Chick-Fila-A for a long time. Never had to pass a Bible test to receive my food.
Never got anything from them except way above average fast food, and some of the best service provided by any company in any field.
Old 04-15-18, 04:12 PM
All American

gneiss rocks is on a distinguished road
It's the dreaded, "creepy infiltration." grab your children and close their eyes.

It may not be kosher for NYC liberals... but hey, it tastes like chicken.
Old 04-15-18, 04:50 PM
All Yappi

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Mosque near Ground zero= ok, but Chick Fila is some kind of threat to the NYC way of life? This is just some pseudo intellectual schmuck trying to be edgy. The author makes it seem like they’re funneling $ to hate groups with the hopes of abolishing gay marriage. In reality, it’s $ donated to Christian organizations who might oppose gay marriage, but it’s not their objective to take that right away.
Old 04-15-18, 04:56 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Couldn't care less whether or not the owner is a religious whacko. Chick-Fil-A is awesome.
Old 04-15-18, 05:07 PM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enough
The New Yorker never disappoints.
Old 04-15-18, 06:30 PM
Pecunious

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Kinda funny (sad) that they are trying to normalize the thought process that a donation to the Catholic and some other Christian churches is wrong.
Old 04-15-18, 06:46 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Kinda funny (sad) that they are trying to normalize the thought process that a donation to the Catholic and some other Christian churches is wrong.
The far left is just as hateful as the Alt Right. Both are filled with angry losers looking to blame everyone else for their failures.
Old 04-15-18, 06:49 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
Couldn't care less whether or not the owner is a religious whacko. Chick-Fil-A is awesome.
His views are outdated, but hes not a whacko. If he refused service to gays, then he could be considered extreme.
Old 04-15-18, 06:58 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Maybe it's more just an insular self-important hipster stupidity than an effort to persuade others ? I hope so.....
Old 04-15-18, 07:27 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Been once. Food was good. But I did get a ... cult feel. Not even sure why, it was before I knew anything other than it was popular. Felt very Japanese, which in Japan seems normal but here seems cultish.

Unlikely one will ever show up in my neighborhood, though we have all the big names and I'd go to one of these if it were within reasonable driving. But across town? Too many places between here and there which are as good.

I will say, it was cheaper than I was led to expect. Not really much different than a Big Mc meal.
Old 04-15-18, 07:49 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
This is just another example of the long list of irreconcilable differences between the right & left in this country. It may seem crazy to outsiders looking in but fights like this resemble the kinds of fights couples engage in before they divorce. I worry that we are a lot closer to a national divorce then anyone realizes.
Old 04-16-18, 06:48 AM
All American

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
Many years ago Roy Rogers (King of the Cowboys) in real life a strong Christian man, was asked if when his life was over he found out all he thought was true was not. His answer was he had faith what he believed was true, but if it wasn't, being a Christian was still a good way to live on this earth. Seems in this day and age being a Christian is not a good life style to live. What has changed? If I had my way I would have good Christian people live all around me.
Old 04-16-18, 07:46 AM
All Yappi

SWMCinci is on a distinguished road
I have never been disappointed by the quality and taste of the food or the cheerfulness, cleanliness, and helpfulness of the staff at Chik-fil-A. It doesn't matter if the location is a stand-alone store or in a mall. I never really attributed it to the Christian work ethic until others pointed it out.

However, after people pointed that out, I noticed it in a lot of the family-owned businesses that I frequented. Almost everyone appeared grateful to be working, to contribute to the success of the business, to readily do their job with a smile on their face. Whether it was a restaurant, a clothing store, a hardware store, lawn service, or a plumber.

There's something to be said for that, and it's kind of obvious that liberal-activists don't get it.
Old 04-16-18, 08:33 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Been once. Food was good. But I did get a ... cult feel. Not even sure why, it was before I knew anything other than it was popular. Felt very Japanese, which in Japan seems normal but here seems cultish.

Unlikely one will ever show up in my neighborhood, though we have all the big names and I'd go to one of these if it were within reasonable driving. But across town? Too many places between here and there which are as good.

I will say, it was cheaper than I was led to expect. Not really much different than a Big Mc meal.
Polite service is cultish to you?
Old 04-16-18, 09:42 AM
All World

queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
Polite service is cultish to you?
Confirmation bias. He expected a cult-like atmosphere, and saw it.
Old 04-16-18, 09:49 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19AL63 View Post
Many years ago Roy Rogers (King of the Cowboys) in real life a strong Christian man, was asked if when his life was over he found out all he thought was true was not. His answer was he had faith what he believed was true, but if it wasn't, being a Christian was still a good way to live on this earth. Seems in this day and age being a Christian is not a good life style to live. What has changed? If I had my way I would have good Christian people live all around me.
It's not the fact that the Christian lifestyle isn't a "good lifestyle to live". It certainly can be for some people. But there are other ways of living that can be just as beneficial.
Old 04-16-18, 11:45 AM
All American

Heavy Hitter 1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It's not the fact that the Christian lifestyle isn't a "good lifestyle to live". It certainly can be for some people. But there are other ways of living that can be just as beneficial.
Ok, your point is? This a private business and if the owners want to have their company reflect their views then so be it. You have a choice to go their or not. It is awful hypocritical of the left to tell this company how they should act. What makes their views correct and this companies views wrong?
Old 04-16-18, 12:15 PM
All Yappi

What are you going on about? Who said his views were wrong and that he shouldn't be able to run his business how he wants? Do you always strawman? My point had nothing at all to do with Chick-Fil-A. 19AL63 said this:

Quote:
Seems in this day and age being a Christian is not a good life style to live.
I gave a reason why 1) that may not necessarily be true, and 2) if it does seem that way to him, it may just be because people have found alternative ways of living that are just as beneficial than religion, or more specifically Christianity.
Old 04-16-18, 02:56 PM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Unless of course Christianity turns out to be the only way to avoid eternal damnation. "Other Ways of Living" may be a problem at that point, and leave the individual not quite as benefited as hoped.
Old 04-16-18, 03:06 PM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Guess the Bible does say to "Greet each other with a kiss". Looks like these fine young ladies are heeding the gospel message.....while eating some fine chicken.
Old 04-16-18, 03:07 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4fan View Post
Unless of course Christianity turns out to be the only way to avoid eternal damnation. "Other Ways of Living" may be a problem at that point, and leave the individual not quite as benefited as hoped.
Thats the type of Christian attitude that people hate. Ironically, its not very Christian to be so judgmental.
Old 04-16-18, 03:08 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Guess the Bible does say to "Greet each other with a kiss". Looks like these fine young ladies are heeding the gospel message.....while eating some fine chicken.
Thats not how most Lesbians look.
Old 04-16-18, 03:11 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
With 4,000+ known religions in the world, the odds of Christianity being the only way to avoid eternal damnation is a fraction of a fraction of a percentage. Pretty ballsy to put all your eggs in just one.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: