Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-14-18, 08:30 AM
All Region

basselope is on a distinguished road
It is certainly nice that we are getting new turf, but unfortunate we can't wait until Lacrosse season is over to start removing the old turf. It's only a couple of weeks. 10 days I think.... Both the Girls and Boys Lacrosse teams now have to adjust schedules to away games and find a way to fit in practice times at locations that are not really setup for the sport.
Old 06-19-18, 11:52 AM
All District

bodiaz is an unknown quantity at this point
What's the current status on where Louisville is looking in regards to joining a conference? Has the search been put on hold?
Old 06-19-18, 11:18 PM
All Ohio

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
not sure "on hold" is the correct tag

what options realistically do they have? (and for those who think the Federal League is an option....I am not so sure Lville would get the votes to join even if they wanted)

time will tell
Old 06-20-18, 12:55 PM
All Region

old man 54 is on a distinguished road
Its been real quiet in Leopard Nation. We do have some talent on this team though the schedule will be much tougher.

Anyone have any insight in the QB situation - will Mathie return from injury at QB for his Sr year, or will Jones the Jr who stepped in last year remain at that position?

With the schedule we have and all the yards the d gave up last year, it will be ugly if we stay in our 4-2-5 defense this year again.

The staff has been reluctant to change when needed and make adjustments in the past. It may prove to be a long year if they maintain that philosophy this year.
Old 06-20-18, 01:20 PM
All American

hitme is on a distinguished road
From what I heard
Mathie will be at LB along with Lingle in the 4-2-5 scheme. After what we have seen from this defense the last 4-5 years, any one thinking of using it should be fired. What ever happened to adjusting your schemes to your talent? IMHO the school board dropped the ball when they renewed jd.
Old 06-20-18, 02:47 PM
All Ohio

Ville-ified is on a distinguished road
Mathie and Lingle? That seems odd. I figured since we will be seeing so many power running teams this year we’d want bigger linebackers. I was expecting Granitsas, Ashcraft, and maybe even Brahler.
Old 06-20-18, 10:51 PM
Varsity

Leopard4life is on a distinguished road
Should be a very interesting year. Perhaps the most talented team in terms of pure Athletes the Leopards will have put on a field in last 20+ years. Will talent alone be enough to win 6-7 games? I think depth will be an issue and 2-3 injuries to starters might very well lead to a 3 win season. If everyone stays healthy I say they win 5 games at best. After watching us get physically pushed around by NBC schools last year, and not changing a single method of training should produce great results in September.
Old 06-21-18, 09:07 AM
All Ohio

COACH_XYZ&12345 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard4life View Post
Should be a very interesting year. Perhaps the most talented team in terms of pure Athletes the Leopards will have put on a field in last 20+ years. Will talent alone be enough to win 6-7 games? I think depth will be an issue and 2-3 injuries to starters might very well lead to a 3 win season. If everyone stays healthy I say they win 5 games at best. After watching us get physically pushed around by NBC schools last year, and not changing a single method of training should produce great results in September.
Against an NBC schedule, winning 6-7 games yes, current schedule, no. Everyone keeps talking and hyping this senior/junior class. Collectively these classes are not even close to the teams they had from 07'-09'. This isn't Kansas (NBC) anymore Dorthy. Most of the teams on the this year's schedule will match everything Louisville has and some...
Old 06-21-18, 09:09 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ville-ified View Post
Mathie and Lingle? That seems odd. I figured since we will be seeing so many power running teams this year weíd want bigger linebackers. I was expecting Granitsas, Ashcraft, and maybe even Brahler.
Agree. #6 has speed, but tackling ability is questionable. #13 will hit you, fill holes, but not sure he'll have the speed it will take to cover the sidelines.
Old 06-21-18, 09:13 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man 54 View Post
Its been real quiet in Leopard Nation. We do have some talent on this team though the schedule will be much tougher.

Anyone have any insight in the QB situation - will Mathie return from injury at QB for his Sr year, or will Jones the Jr who stepped in last year remain at that position?

With the schedule we have and all the yards the d gave up last year, it will be ugly if we stay in our 4-2-5 defense this year again.

The staff has been reluctant to change when needed and make adjustments in the past. It may prove to be a long year if they maintain that philosophy this year.
Jones is unquestionably the best QB they have on the roster. His ability to read defenses, precision passing, and instinctiveness is exactly what JD wants in a QB. Jones is the best pocket QB to come out of Louisville since Seaman.
Old 06-21-18, 09:22 AM
All American

Lynus24 is on a distinguished road
6 was one of our best tacklers, he couldnít keep his eyes out of the backfield that caused him to struggle at corner...good move imo. Mathie will have success anywhere which is why Jones should be QB...Mathie both ways. Team is strong on paper and weíve unloaded what was the weakest senior class in 25 years so the sky is the limit and the onus is on the staff to make something happen, I donít care whoís on the schedule this team (if prepared) should win games.
Old 06-21-18, 09:35 AM
All Ohio

with this schedule a case could be made as to why the Leps could lose every game and how they could win every game.

as a fan of stark football this schedule is certainly the most intriguing week to week

a win in any week can change the outlook for post season
Old 06-21-18, 02:25 PM
All District

Lewis43D is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I am not sure I agree this is the most talented team in 20+ years. 2002 with Elsass, Boulder, Batdorff and Whaley were pretty good. The 2007 to 2009 teams were all pretty good. Drew Kuhn was pretty solid. The competition will be way different this year, so unless they come out and win 6 or 7 games I think the talent will get overlooked. Tough to compare talent or compare different teams of different years. I know the parents of the players have really hyped up these guys so hopefully that carries over the field. My guess is the wheels fall off and everyone blames the coaches
Old 06-21-18, 02:42 PM
Freshman

Football Fanatik is on a distinguished road
Ending the season with Massillon and Central isn't ideal. I think this tough schedule will definetly make them a better team for the future.
Old 06-22-18, 12:49 PM
All Region

Stack Attack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitme View Post
From what I heard
Mathie will be at LB along with Lingle in the 4-2-5 scheme. After what we have seen from this defense the last 4-5 years, any one thinking of using it should be fired. What ever happened to adjusting your schemes to your talent? IMHO the school board dropped the ball when they renewed jd.
Iíve never understood why Louisville literally threw away their 5-3 Defense. They were one of the last teams in the area that put fear into their opponents run game..Nobody ever ran well against them. Our Scott Weber (2005 game) his senior year against the leps had 8 carries for -6 yards. Iím almost positive Erick Howard 2 time Mr. Football never achieve a combined total of 100 yards in 4 games against the Leps.

Sure I understand with the modern spread style offenses the game has changed even from 10 years ago, running a 5-3 is probably too old school, but Iíve seen a lot of old 5-3 defenses turn into 3-5 defenses...Manchester is a classic example. Has Louisville ever ran anything different or has it always been Mountís 4-2-5 since Miley and Farrah were running the show?
Old 06-23-18, 07:38 PM
All American

Farrah used the 5-3 to beat Desalles in 07 and stuck with it. When Davis became dc he wanted to have his signature on the defense. Congrats, you have produced the worst defenses in LHS history
Old 06-24-18, 08:23 AM
All District

BACisBack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Farrah used the 5-3 to beat Desalles in 07 and stuck with it. When Davis became dc he wanted to have his signature on the defense. Congrats, you have produced the worst defenses in LHS history
He used it long before that. Started with a 5-2 in 2000 and switched to a 5-3 midway through his first season. We dropped the strong safety, moved Mike Norris from Linebacker to defensive end. Brought it sophomore Gary Whaley to play weak side Linebacker.
Old 06-24-18, 01:29 PM
All American

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 06-25-18, 08:36 AM
All Ohio

Wrestling245 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football 101 View Post
with this schedule a case could be made as to why the Leps could lose every game and how they could win every game.

as a fan of stark football this schedule is certainly the most intriguing week to week

a win in any week can change the outlook for post season
Yep... pretty much sums up what Lake has been doing for years. Honestly happy to see the ville out of the NBC and pretty much playing a federal league schedule. Going to be interesting to see how they compete.
Old 06-25-18, 12:51 PM
All Region

Quote:
Its laughable at times..Probably cost us a shot at state in 2015 when we had Hoban on the ropes and they came out the 2nd half with TE's and 2 backs and we stayed in that miserable 4-2-5 defense.. We had some very tough guys on that D,, and its a real shame Davis would not adjust and it cost us the game.
Old 06-25-18, 12:55 PM
All Region

Quote:
From what I heard
If this is the case that tells me Mathie will not be the QB.. Tough kid and will be better than what we had the last 2 years...Lingle - I like him but not at LB...We need 2 studs in the middle..2 years ago we had the Falcone kid with Ashcraft and they were 2 tough SOB's.. I was hoping the upcoming Ashcraft who will be a JR would be a clone of his brother.. maybe not though..but someone has to bring some tough guy attitude to the D...
Old 06-25-18, 12:56 PM
All Region

Quote:
Not even close in terms of talent.. A few very good skilled athletes, but overall the talent is not even close to some of our best teams.
Old 06-25-18, 12:58 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH_XYZ&12345 View Post
Jones is unquestionably the best QB they have on the roster. His ability to read defenses, precision passing, and instinctiveness is exactly what JD wants in a QB. Jones is the best pocket QB to come out of Louisville since Seaman.
"The best Pocket passer since Seaman"????
Apparently you forgot about Jake Adams who set just about every record and could wing the ball like no other..Jones has a long way to improve before any comparisons to Jake can be made.. I hope he does, I really like the kid.
Old 06-25-18, 04:39 PM
All World

BIG ED is on a distinguished road
Happy to see the renewal, at least temporarily, of the series with Perry. I was a part of (although a very small part..lol) a couple of those games in 69 and 70 as a Panther. Should be a good 4 game series coming up. Yeah, I’m old...lol.
Something I’ll always remember was as we came out of the visitors locker room under your home stands and were gathering to run across the field to our bench, several of your students pelted us with eggs. I could hear this noise against my helmet even with the roar of our crowd and band playing, only to reach up and get my fingers in egg yolk...lol.
I remember two of our assistant coaches pointing out to the LCPD who the culprits were. In the end we won a very hard fought game, 15-13 in front of a SRO crowd.
I’m not inferring or painting a bad picture of Leopard students/fans, just an isolated incident that happened when I was a senior.

Last edited by BIG ED; 06-26-18 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-26-18, 11:06 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man 54 View Post
"The best Pocket passer since Seaman"????
Apparently you forgot about Jake Adams who set just about every record and could wing the ball like no other..Jones has a long way to improve before any comparisons to Jake can be made.. I hope he does, I really like the kid.
Nope, Jake was good, but not great. I said pocket passer, not record breaker. Jones will be better than JA.
Old 06-26-18, 05:34 PM
All World

BGFalcons86 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post
Happy to see the renewal, at least temporarily, of the series with Perry. I was a part of (although a very small part..lol) a couple of those games in 69 and 70 as a Panther. Should be a good 4 game series coming up. Yeah, I’m old...lol.
Something I’ll always remember was as we came out of the visitors locker room under your home stands and were gathering to run across the field to our bench, several of your students pelted us with eggs. I could hear this noise against my helmet even with the roar of our crowd and band playing, only to reach up and get my fingers in egg yolk...lol.
I remember two of our assistant coaches pointing out to the LCPD who the culprits were. In the end we won a very hard fought game, 15-13 in front of a SRO crowd.
I’m not inferring or painting a bad picture of Leopard students/fans, just an isolated incident that happened when I was a senior.
Back in the day, it didn't get a whole lot better than Louisville vs. Perry for intense, closely fought games. After Louisville vs. Hoover, this was probably my second favorite series as a fan. And there were years, where it actually surpassed Louisville vs. Hoover.

BIG ED, you know I always have to bring this up... The year Perry beat Louisville by 1 point in a heart-breaker for Leps players and fans (28-27, I think) to take the lead in the FLC race, only to see it slip away with a loss to Canton South the following week, as Louisville was beating Hoover.
Old 06-26-18, 10:55 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGFalcons86 View Post
Back in the day, it didn't get a whole lot better than Louisville vs. Perry for intense, closely fought games. After Louisville vs. Hoover, this was probably my second favorite series as a fan. And there were years, where it actually surpassed Louisville vs. Hoover.

BIG ED, you know I always have to bring this up... The year Perry beat Louisville by 1 point in a heart-breaker for Leps players and fans (28-27, I think) to take the lead in the FLC race, only to see it slip away with a loss to Canton South the following week, as Louisville was beating Hoover.
I just had lunch with three starters from the Perry team in 74 that won that game 28-27 a week ago, and lost to South a week later. Here’s the rest of the story. Unfortunately the win over the Leopards took its toll. Perry lost its two year starter at center towards the end of the game, their tight end and during practice that week two other starters.
Then they showed up at South thinking all they had to do is roll their helmets on the field. They got back in game in the fourth quarter down 8-0, Perry fumbled on the South 4 yard line, then on their next series, Perry had a fourth and one at the South 11 and was stopped short. South went down and kicked a field goal with only minutes left to ice the game. The sad thing was they not only handed the outright FLC to Louisville, if they would have beat South the computer points guru at Massillon said Perry was a lock to make the playoffs. Yikes!
I’m still not over that game...lol and neither are those seniors.
Old 06-27-18, 10:29 AM
All Ohio

Ville-ified is on a distinguished road
If Mathie is not the QB then does he play on offense at all? If he is a capable receiver then maybe we do the smart thing and let Hartline play RB. He is clearly the best back we have and I’d rather him get 20 touches a game at RB than 6 or 7 as a receiver.
Old 06-27-18, 12:08 PM
All World

Speaking of Mathie, I ran in to Ed Mathie back in the fall, who I’m thinking is the grandfather of the Mathie’s that have played sports for the Leopards over the years. Enjoyed talking to him. He taught at Perry, when I was there and was the head boys basketball coach for the Panthers from I believe 65-66 through the 72-73 seasons.
Old 06-27-18, 12:58 PM
All Ohio

it makes sense to me if the Mathie kid you speak of to have all your best players available

He can serve as a back up qb, start at LB and probably work in at offensive skill such as a slot wr or back up RB as well. QBs have the advantage of knowing where everyone is supposed to be and what routes they run. Certainly this young man can be utilized effectively on offense even if he isn't the starter.