Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-15-18, 03:01 PM
All Ohio

Hitnrun is on a distinguished road
Youngstown State Baseball

Looks like YSU is off to a pretty rough start this year. Currently 1-13, ouch! I understand they have a new coach, who is in the midst of trying to change the culture in the program by adding many new faces, but after looking at their non league schedule and early results, are they really going to thrive, let alone survive as a D1 baseball program? Been a pretty tough few years for the program, but hopefully things will improve once they get into their Horizon league schedule. But with many non league games left vs quality D1 programs, even getting to double digit wins may be a big mountain to climb. Wishing YSU the best, but early on looks like YSU far from a competitive D1 college program.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-18, 09:13 AM
Junior Varsity

WildcatBall123 is on a distinguished road
Hitnrun, you make some solid points but I am curious. Do you enjoy complaining/hating on people/teams? All you ever do on here is whine. If it is not Copley (and your son is gone), it is something else.

Re: YSU:

They have 13 freshman. One of which is a walk on and has started 5 games in the OF. 3 freshman arms have combined for 13 appearances so far.

6 sophomores.

They have 4 seniors. Only two are making any kind of contribution.

They are an extremely young team. Staff is in year two (coming off a 15 win season - not great of course, they have been hovering around that number for some time (17,16,14,15 last 4 years). It's a tremendous group of coaches. They are determined to turn this around and I know they have admin support.

They did get swept by 12th ranked Louisville, and struggled against some solid opponents in ND, Belmont, Liberty and Radford. Bravo to them for challenging themselves. They could try and play lower tier programs to get some wins. Hopefully the experience helps them.

If there is one thing to be concerned about it's their hitting. They did have 50 home runs last year, but hit only .257. This year their team BA is .192.

Also, their top two arms have really struggled so far. But overall pitching should be their strength and I think they will be OK once they get into conference play.

They were predicted to finish last again in the Horizon league, but with the exception of UIC and WSU, everyone else is beatable.
Milwaukee-4 wins so far
NKU-3 wins so far
Oakland-2 wins so far

I think its a bit too soon to panic with this staff/young roster, I think they have a solid chance of matching/eclipsing the 15 wins from last year. The reality unfortunately is that no D1 programs make money. Buffalo was the last similar program to be cut, and in their last 4 years, they won 21, 16, 26 and 33 games. Similarly, Akron won 13, 12, 10 and 10 in their last 4 years. YSU has not sniffed 20 wins so yeah to your point it's worth asking if they can survive.

They have 3 kids in the top 95 from PBR in Ohio 2018 class and 2 from the top 31 in PA signed for next year.

I hope this group gets at least 3 years to turn this thing around. I think they can.
Old 03-16-18, 11:25 AM
Freshman

MODFAN1 is on a distinguished road
If they can get through this year, they have a lefty coming in next year who can absolutely bring it, and another lefty will be there the following year, both are outstanding pitchers, they also have a middle infielder coming in the fall of 2019 who is about as solid as you can get on defense. And the best part is, they are all from the valley. Hoping they let the staff stay and build a program. And no, none of these kids are mine.
Old 03-16-18, 12:46 PM
All American

BlueDevil Backer is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by MODFAN1 View Post
If they can get through this year, they have a lefty coming in next year who can absolutely bring it, and another lefty will be there the following year, both are outstanding pitchers, they also have a middle infielder coming in the fall of 2019 who is about as solid as you can get on defense. And the best part is, they are all from the valley. Hoping they let the staff stay and build a program. And no, none of these kids are mine.
What are names of these recruits and where do they go to high school?
Old 03-16-18, 05:03 PM
All Ohio

No complaints, just observations. I was able to catch some of their early games down South, and little surprised they had scheduled so many high caliber D1 schools so early. I understand they are young, and have heard nothing but good things about their coach. But, trying to compete against the likes of Louisville, Ohio State, and even Kent State seems like a bit of stiff challenge. They clearly are not in that class. I just think it must be very difficult to recruit players of the talent level needed to compete against those teams. I wish them nothing but good luck, just making an observation.
Old 03-17-18, 06:16 AM
Varsity

outsiderlookingin is on a distinguished road
The YSU coaches are good guys and work very hard. We have a summer team with 7 D1 commits after sophomore season that plays a national schedule and the YSU coaches were at every event watching players and recruiting. They inherited a tough situation but are working very hard to turn the program around. We donít need another Ohio program mothballed. Good luck to YSU their players, families and coaches.
Old 03-17-18, 07:37 AM
Junior Varsity

WildcatBall123 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitnrun View Post
No complaints, just observations. I was able to catch some of their early games down South, and little surprised they had scheduled so many high caliber D1 schools so early. I understand they are young, and have heard nothing but good things about their coach. But, trying to compete against the likes of Louisville, Ohio State, and even Kent State seems like a bit of stiff challenge. They clearly are not in that class. I just think it must be very difficult to recruit players of the talent level needed to compete against those teams. I wish them nothing but good luck, just making an observation.

Why should they not challenge themselves? To me it shows a young player that hey I can go to YSU, get $, get on the field early and play a great non-conference schedule that gets me ready for conference play. Makes ZERO sense to play crap schedule - does nothing for development on a team/player level. I don't think scheduling those teams is YSU saying hey we are in your class. It also serves as a wake up call to current players that hey - we have work to do if we want to reach that level.
Old 03-27-18, 11:44 AM
Freshman

YandProud is on a distinguished road
The Penguins took 2 of 3 from Northern Kentucky this past weekend. Sitting 3 and 3 in conference play. Host UIC (1st in conference at 4 and 2) this weekend. This young team is coming together and may shock the Horizon League this year.
Old 03-27-18, 09:11 PM
Freshman

Big road win for the Penguins at Eastern Michigan today!
Old 03-31-18, 02:26 PM
All District

OEBNorthGM is on a distinguished road
YSU took first two games against league leading UIC. Going for the sweep today.
Old 03-31-18, 09:44 PM
All Ohio

Glad to see they are making solid progress with such a young team.
Old 04-01-18, 09:15 AM
Freshman

Get the brooms out...the Penguins sweep UIC and sit tied tied for 1st with Wright State at 6-3 in conference.

If you get a chance come out to Eastwood Field and watch this young team
Old 04-05-18, 03:56 PM
Freshman

The conference series with Oakland, which was originally scheduled to be played in Michigan this weekend, has been changed to Eastwood Field. A doubleheader starting at 1:00pm on Friday and a single game starting at 1:00 on Saturday.

Come on out to Niles and support the Penguins! Local boys Greg Dunham (RHP - South Range HS) and Collin Floyd (LHP - Springfield HS) should be the starting pitchers on Friday.
Old 04-10-18, 07:52 PM
Freshman

The Guins split a DH with Oakland on Friday and Saturday was cancelled. Nice road win today at Bowling Green (2-1 vs MAC now). Gives YSU 8 wins in their last 11 games.

Congrats to Andrew Kendrick, he tied the YSU career homerun record today.
Kendrick's 27th career home run tied Erich Diedrich's mark set in 2008.
Old 04-11-18, 11:26 AM
Freshman

NilesDragon1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by YandProud View Post
The Guins split a DH with Oakland on Friday and Saturday was cancelled. Nice road win today at Bowling Green (2-1 vs MAC now). Gives YSU 8 wins in their last 11 games.

Congrats to Andrew Kendrick, he tied the YSU career homerun record today.
Kendrick's 27th career home run tied Erich Diedrich's mark set in 2008.
They are on a roll right now! So excited for my son to be part if this program next season! #GoGuins!
Old 04-11-18, 02:56 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilesDragon1 View Post
They are on a roll right now! So excited for my son to be part if this program next season! #GoGuins!
Welcome aboard...the train is rolling! Its a good time to be a Guin!!