Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-10-18, 12:47 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Early season pitch counts...

Any pitch counts that have had you scratching your head thus far?

Did see a pre teen, in their first game, throw just over 100 pitches in sub 40 degree weather recently.

What say you?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-18, 01:21 PM
All Region

Old Wildcat is on a distinguished road
Yesterday I followed a game on game changer that plays in our league. Now it was brutally cold and windy. There starter threw 112 before they put another pitcher in. If it was my son or grandson I would of been pissed. Shame on that coach.
Old 04-10-18, 03:43 PM
Junior Varsity

WildcatBall123 is on a distinguished road
I've seen at least a dozen instances already where a kid is over 100. You are right - shame on these coaches. It's been a cold as hell March/April - these kids have no business throwing that many pitches. Two kids in particular - both college commits - one was over 120 once, and the other over 100 twice now. If I was those college coaches I would be livid.

I know one college around here, who has played over 25 games already, and have not eclipsed 100 one time. Yes I know college rosters are bigger and they have more arms, but I know the focus has been arm health and not all just on wins. 6 pitchers have the bulk of those innings.

With as bad as the weather has been, and these teams playing once-twice a week so far, they should be using as many arms as they can to make sure these guys get live work. Not throwing someone 100+ pitches so you can win a non league game in March.

These will then be the same coaches crying they need to extend the season so they can throw their ace 200 more pitches.
Old 04-10-18, 08:04 PM
All Region

Salesman is on a distinguished road
In the old days, we had kids who had "rag arms." These were the kids who could pitch every day in all kinds of weather and never had fatigue or sore arms. They still exist, however they now operate under different terminology. I watched a kid throw in 25 degree weather last week. When I came home I told my wife if that was my kid he never would have come close to the mound tonight. She reminded me of a HS game in Swanton I pitched in in HS when it snowed and blew the entire game---and I survived just fine. Maybe we are too soft with our kids today. Great discussion.
Old 04-10-18, 08:29 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salesman View Post
In the old days, we had kids who had "rag arms." These were the kids who could pitch every day in all kinds of weather and never had fatigue or sore arms. They still exist, however they now operate under different terminology. I watched a kid throw in 25 degree weather last week. When I came home I told my wife if that was my kid he never would have come close to the mound tonight. She reminded me of a HS game in Swanton I pitched in in HS when it snowed and blew the entire game---and I survived just fine. Maybe we are too soft with our kids today. Great discussion.
Believe you me, I do think in many ways that kids are too soft today and that does include pitch counts.
But I realize that times have changed. I think kids are pitching too much with too little build up/arm strengthening with long tossing and such.

I am not opposed to a HS kid throwing 100 plus.......later in the season when its warmed up and he has been built up to that and taken care of properly. Our ole HS coach, a former MiLB pitcher and the other a catcher, wasn't afraid to extend us out to 110-120 with no arm issues whatsoever.

I take more issue with early season extending kids out in this cold weather. Yeah, you can throw in the gym and say you built up a kids arm, but throwing in the pen in a controlled environment is much different that in the cold, in real situations when the kid is really pushing it.

Nuxy used to say it will rust off before it falls off.....
if coaches would just be smart.
Old 04-11-18, 10:15 AM
Freshman

reggieDunlop is on a distinguished road
At the CHCA Junior High Game on Monday, game temperature in Cincinnati was 42 degrees. The home team starting pitcher threw 124 pitches before being removed with one out in the 7th inning.
Old 04-11-18, 02:20 PM
All Yappi

thePITman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by reggieDunlop View Post
At the CHCA Junior High Game on Monday, game temperature in Cincinnati was 42 degrees. The home team starting pitcher threw 124 pitches before being removed with one out in the 7th inning.

My 14U players have a 60-pitch limit first half of the year, 80-90 limit toward end of year depending on the player and weather.