Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-04-18, 03:47 PM
Junior Varsity

WildcatBall123 is on a distinguished road
I'd be curious the answers you would get if you asked every player:
1. Do you want to win a state title?
2. or do you want to play college baseball?

I am guessing the vast majority would say play college baseball. That is just one opinion. I know the ring/memories that would come from winning states will be something they remember forever, but getting that coveted $$$ from a college program sets them up for a lifetime as well.
Old 04-04-18, 04:33 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatBall123 View Post

I am guessing the vast majority would say play college baseball. That is just one opinion. I know the ring/memories that would come from winning states will be something they remember forever, but getting that coveted $$$ from a college program sets them up for a lifetime as well.
Yes, I think most would want to play college baseball. What most of the kids don't know is that playing college baseball costs alot of money.

There is a reason that so many kids drop out of college baseball after one year. I suspect most are very happy they got to experience that one year of college baseball but the costs (financial and time commitment) are higher than they ever would have guessed.

The thing about a state championship is that it is timeless.
Old 04-04-18, 04:35 PM
All Ohio

Hitnrun is on a distinguished road
Yea, but how many kids are part of a state championship team? Not many.
Old 04-04-18, 04:48 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitnrun View Post
Yea, but how many kids are part of a state championship team? Not many.
Exactly. It's very difficult to do and 98% of kids playing high school baseball would not be affected by moving the state tournament back a week. Give the 2% a chance to experience something truly special and all the other kids can go to play for their Summer teams without any real changes. I doubt many kids would leave their school team for the State Tournament in favor of playing the first week of Summer Travel ball.

If the OHSAA would allow it, most Summer teams could start playing right after the District games. After the Districts are over, 92% of Ohio kids are done playing for the school's team for the Spring.
Old 04-04-18, 04:52 PM
All Ohio

Hitnrun is on a distinguished road
No doubt being a part of a college baseball team can be expensive. Many kids get, shirts, jackets, sweats, bats, other gear, but often what most end up learning is there are various fund raisers in place for most college teams. Many love to look at a typical D2, D3 schedule, and see the annual Spring trip south, ie: Florida, Carolina's, or even Arizona. Seems great, until a a father of a former team mate of my son tells us the D3 school his son attends, ends up going to Arizona for the Spring trip and ends up with a $2000 bill. Sure there are some fundraisers, but bottom line anything raised short of 2 grand is owed by guess who? Combine that with any parent's personal travel, hotel, etc expenses, costs mount up pretty quickly. Makes your average summer travel costs seem pretty reasonable.
Old 04-04-18, 07:02 PM
All Region

BASESWIMPARENT is on a distinguished road
I agree with Yappi. Move the season back a week or two and condense the tournament to 3 games week. Most teams are done by the first week in June. Only a few teams make it into June, Also, grant waivers to those players so that they can at least practice with their club teams after a certain date. Look, other states play their tournament well into June. Ask them what they do.
Old 04-05-18, 08:16 AM
All District

OEBNorthGM is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OEBNorthGM View Post
It's not a rule. The catholic schools would have a harder time explaining it.

HS teams should play DH on weekends. But too many coaches don't want to give up home days. Have to get past that and just alternate years. Play non-league games during the week so you can develop 5th 6th 7th arms etc.

I know there is general wear and tear on turf fields, and the need to pay someone to be a site manager, so colleges will never go for it, but would love to see college programs with turf either rent their facility for free or at the very least, at a huge discount, to HS teams when they are on the road. Such a good selling point to these young kids and families - gets more people on your campus. Hell most of these kids stay in northeast Ohio anyway and spend a ton of money on tuition. If this happened more you could easily get 3-4 games in a day.

Another idea that will never go through and I understand why, but how about playing weekday games a little earlier in the day? Let the kids get out of school early. It happens in college all the time - why not expose them to it now? I know coaches usually are teachers or have other jobs so a huge hurdle, but on days like today where it ended up being nice, would be great to try and get two in versus just one.

Tons of ideas on both sides of the argument.

St Vincent St Mary and Ignatius JV TEAMS are playing at 230pm today at BW. Kudos to both admins giving them the OK to leave early.
Old 04-05-18, 01:23 PM
Varsity

outsiderlookingin is on a distinguished road
St Ignatius is on spring break
Old 04-05-18, 01:41 PM
All District

OEBNorthGM is on a distinguished road
Crap. I was excited
Old 04-05-18, 03:58 PM
All American

Over The Hills is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Each person has their own priorities.

I will say Wildcat that I was once on a summer team with a bunch of guys from another high school.

They were state champs.
They always talk about the state championship.
3 of their guys played pro ball, 6 or 7 others played in college.
They really don't talk about that.

Doesn't mean much but just an observation.
Old 04-05-18, 04:01 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Yes, I think most would want to play college baseball. What most of the kids don't know is that playing college baseball costs alot of money.

There is a reason that so many kids drop out of college baseball after one year. I suspect most are very happy they got to experience that one year of college baseball but the costs (financial and time commitment) are higher than they ever would have guessed.

The thing about a state championship is that it is timeless.
Bingo.
Old 04-05-18, 04:06 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitnrun View Post
No doubt being a part of a college baseball team can be expensive. Many kids get, shirts, jackets, sweats, bats, other gear, but often what most end up learning is there are various fund raisers in place for most college teams. Many love to look at a typical D2, D3 schedule, and see the annual Spring trip south, ie: Florida, Carolina's, or even Arizona. Seems great, until a a father of a former team mate of my son tells us the D3 school his son attends, ends up going to Arizona for the Spring trip and ends up with a $2000 bill. Sure there are some fundraisers, but bottom line anything raised short of 2 grand is owed by guess who? Combine that with any parent's personal travel, hotel, etc expenses, costs mount up pretty quickly. Makes your average summer travel costs seem pretty reasonable.
This is true.

This is a huge factor of why many guys quit.
Cost plus they see 40 other guys on the bench with a new crop of freshman comin in next season.....just don't think they will see the field so they drop out.

I'm always caught off guard at parents I meet who think their son is going to get a "full ride" for baseball.

Lol.
Old 04-09-18, 10:44 AM
All Region

HSFB is on a distinguished road
The suggestion about using college fields, brings in the NCAA. I would say the NCAA would not allow this because it would be,in their eyes, a form of recruiting.
Old 04-09-18, 11:07 AM
All District

Baseballmom13 is on a distinguished road
Using college fields during the college season, with any regularity, is just not gonna happen. The college players have access 24/7 to work on stuff. Do you really think college coaches and players need or want the hassle of working around a high school schedule? This is just stupid
Old 04-09-18, 11:30 AM
Junior Varsity

24/7? The poster clearly stated WHEN COLLEGES ARE ON THE ROAD! If you followed high school baseball you'd see every week a couple teams play at Kent State and BW - just to name two locations.
Old 04-09-18, 11:44 AM
All Ohio

boomer24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
24/7? The poster clearly stated WHEN COLLEGES ARE ON THE ROAD! If you followed high school baseball you'd see every week a couple teams play at Kent State and BW - just to name two locations.
Exactly...no harm to the college programs IMO.

Heck, you have Malone University using a HS field (for now). I imagine most baseball guys understand the pain and would like to help out if it doesn't inconvenience them (ie...being on the road).
Old 04-09-18, 01:59 PM
All Region

Old Wildcat is on a distinguished road
Kent State does allow high school and summer teams to play there. But it is very expensive. Our summer team plays there 2 times a year. Day games are around 300.00 and lights cost more, not sure how much though. But the chances of scheduling a high school game during the college season is almost impossible to have a date when Kent is on the road. I wonder if Jackson could bump Malone in event of say a sectional game make up. I doubt Jackson could do it do to the opposing college teams travel. I'm curious how much Jackson is compensated by Malone. You have to figure there's times Jackson's head coach gets frustrated if he can't get on his field. But the mighty dollar prevails.
Old 04-09-18, 02:22 PM
All District

In the summer, college players and coaches don’t need their facilities. And yes, some colleges give players access 24/7 during the school year. Also, not every player travels with the team. Do you think the players that don’t travel sit around and do nothing? My guess is for those of you that think using a college field during the school year is feasible, you have no idea how much time college players spend on the field. Also, in poor baseball climate states, college games get rescheduled/moved, a logistical nightmare if ya also have to worry about the high schoolers. Let’s face it, if it was a good idea, they’d be doing it. Do you have personal experience to the contrary?
Old 04-09-18, 03:02 PM
Junior Varsity

Yes and when that happens the HS teams get bumped. It just happened last week at Kent. Pay more attention to HS games in the area, and less on keeping your personal scorebook at T-Burg and you'd see this.
Old 04-09-18, 03:07 PM
All American

FanDad is on a distinguished road
Kind of snarly, even for a wildcat.

Nordonia has 6 games in 6 days to catch up if the weather holds up. They should find out a thing or two about a few young pitchers this week. Many innings ahead.
Old 04-09-18, 03:30 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseballmom13 View Post
In the summer, college players and coaches don’t need their facilities. And yes, some colleges give players access 24/7 during the school year. Also, not every player travels with the team. Do you think the players that don’t travel sit around and do nothing? My guess is for those of you that think using a college field during the school year is feasible, you have no idea how much time college players spend on the field. Also, in poor baseball climate states, college games get rescheduled/moved, a logistical nightmare if ya also have to worry about the high schoolers. Let’s face it, if it was a good idea, they’d be doing it. Do you have personal experience to the contrary?

Benedictine is playing Lake Catholic at CWRU today at 5pm. But wait, I thought colleges don't let HS teams play on their field during the season?
Old 04-09-18, 03:57 PM
All District

Quote:
Benedictine is playing Lake Catholic at CWRU today at 5pm. But wait, I thought colleges don't let HS teams play on their field during the season?
That’s wonderful news! How many high school games do you have on college fields this season? How much are you paying for the college field? I think we are talking about cost, someone said it should be free? Well it’s not. And regularity/feasibly so that it actually helps with scheduling and playing high school games. High costs, and games getting “bumped” is not helpful.
Using college fields during the college season, with any REGULARITY is just not gonna happen. I stand by what I said. I did not say that a high school team will never play on a college field. Not sure why you choose to lash out? I could speculate, but I won’t...
Old 04-09-18, 06:53 PM
All Region

BASESWIMPARENT is on a distinguished road
There are a couple of private fields down here in SWO. That are used pretty much constantly. They have artificial turf on the infield. Don't know the cost per game but there are four of them in use all the time. One is a college field but owned by the City of Hamilton. The city schedules the field. I think it is 175 per game.
Old 04-10-18, 07:58 AM
All Ohio

93 red ls is on a distinguished road
Taylor has played 3 innings at its home field this year do to wet/flooded fields.
They played deer park (home game for taylor) last night at waterworks in fairfield.
Old 04-17-18, 06:56 AM
All Region

Old Wildcat is on a distinguished road
April 17th. And there is snow on the car ��. I would think as cold and wet as this spring has been and some of the insane pitch counts I've seen there's many pitchers with sore arms. I can't believe how many coaches are letting pitchers throw 95 to over 100 pitches when it's 37 to 40 degrees. I'm thankful my grandsons coaches are on top of pitch counts. Winning or losing cruising or not they shut the pitchers down when it's so cold. A friend of mine son plays for a different team, he was throwing on a day it was 37 out sent him out when his count was at 111 and he didn't get out of the inning, it was the 6th. After the game his coach told him I expect to finish these games. What a jerk. Anyone else running into this? It's sad very sad.
Old 04-17-18, 08:12 AM
All Ohio

Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Wildcat View Post
April 17th. And there is snow on the car ��. I would think as cold and wet as this spring has been and some of the insane pitch counts I've seen there's many pitchers with sore arms. I can't believe how many coaches are letting pitchers throw 95 to over 100 pitches when it's 37 to 40 degrees. I'm thankful my grandsons coaches are on top of pitch counts. Winning or losing cruising or not they shut the pitchers down when it's so cold. A friend of mine son plays for a different team, he was throwing on a day it was 37 out sent him out when his count was at 111 and he didn't get out of the inning, it was the 6th. After the game his coach told him I expect to finish these games. What a jerk. Anyone else running into this? It's sad very sad.
We've only had one kid go to 70 and that was the only warm day we've had. I've only seen one coach pitch a kid over 75. He took the kid to 125 and it was low 30's. Pretty stupid move but no one said all coaches are smart. Most coaches in my area take care of the kids.
Old 04-17-18, 08:22 AM
Moderated User

Rusty Anchor is an unknown quantity at this point
Pitch counts are the most overrated thing in baseball. Kids should be allowed to throw as much as they can as long as they are still getting outs. When I helped out coaching high school baseball we would fudge those numbers so much and we never had any kid suffer life changing injuries. A couple of elbow surgeries and one tommy john surgery but nothing major. I encourage kids to get tommy john surgery at an early age if they see any problems with their arms. It is a great way to pick up a couple numbers on the ole radar gun. Pair that with some good old Mississippi Creatine and you can go from D3 to D1...

Last edited by Rusty Anchor; 04-17-18 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-17-18, 10:05 AM
All District

team all in is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree, kids can throw all types of pitches at a young age as well. The science behind the elbow overuse injuries is bogus. Should we not let 1st grades shoot three's because it could cause shoulder injuries? How about my nephew who works with a QB coach all of season so he's ready for 3rd grade tackle next year, should he be throwing underhand to save his arm? Bologna, he is going to make it to the league so who cares if he blows out his arm, surgery is the way to go
Old 04-17-18, 12:15 PM
All Region

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Anchor View Post
Pitch counts are the most overrated thing in baseball. Kids should be allowed to throw as much as they can as long as they are still getting outs. When I helped out coaching high school baseball we would fudge those numbers so much and we never had any kid suffer life changing injuries. A couple of elbow surgeries and one tommy john surgery but nothing major. I encourage kids to get tommy john surgery at an early age if they see any problems with their arms. It is a great way to pick up a couple numbers on the ole radar gun. Pair that with some good old Mississippi Creatine and you can go from D3 to D1...
This might be the worst post in Yappi history
Old 04-17-18, 12:21 PM
All Ohio

boomer24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan23 View Post
This might be the worst post in Yappi history
I'm thinking it was sarcasm....