Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Closed Thread

Old 04-04-18, 05:46 PM
All American

my2sense is on a distinguished road
I'm sure they go they for the spiritual environment, moral values and Christian education LOL
Old 04-04-18, 06:13 PM
All American

Con_Alma is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIllinifan View Post
Sure, but you’re glossing over the VASJ tweet, which states, “We still have offers out to a few more guys.”

How do rationalize that?
I would rationalize that by saying they aren’t yet filled to capacity in the school or program and probably should still be offering student/athletes the opportunity to come there.

Do you think some schools should be able to promote their kids and others not?
Old 04-04-18, 06:17 PM
All American

If closed enrollment schools aren’t promoting their program to the kids in their community they are crazy and risk a family choosing to go elsewhere. If parochial schools aren’t constantly promoting and selling their program and school they won’t exist. The family always decides where their child will be educated both in the classroom and with the experience of extracurricular(s).

Last edited by Con_Alma; 04-04-18 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-04-18, 07:15 PM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIllinifan View Post
Sure, but youíre glossing over the VASJ tweet, which states, ďWe still have offers out to a few more guys.Ē

How do rationalize that?
It's an offer of admission...same as every Catholic school does, and the same term they use for kids who will be in the math club. My kids (neither of which played sports in HS) received three offers each.
Old 04-04-18, 07:23 PM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Con_Alma View Post
I would rationalize that by saying they arenít yet filled to capacity in the school or program and probably should still be offering student/athletes the opportunity to come there.

Do you think some schools should be able to promote their kids and others not?
In other words, they've found some kids to shore up the defense, but still need some held on the offensive side.
Old 04-04-18, 07:24 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
If closed enrollment schools arenít promoting their program to the kids in their community they are crazy and risk a family choosing to go elsewhere. If parochial schools arenít constantly promoting and selling their program and school they wonít exist. The family always decides where their child will be educated both in the classroom and with the experience of extracurricular(s).
"Selling" and a high school education just don't seem to go together to me.
Old 04-04-18, 07:29 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
So itís unsavory to you. I guess we see it differently. It doesnít bother me very much. Do you believe itís OK for one school to do it and not another...ie. closed enrollment vs open? Is it bad to promote the kids coming to your school and program?
It just seems crazy to make that big of a deal out of a kid saying he's playing high school football. Unless, maybe, if you've got to recruit, sell your program, and fight to get him to come play for you like some schools do. That part is extremely unsavory!
Old 04-04-18, 08:30 PM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
It just seems crazy to make that big of a deal out of a kid saying he's playing high school football. Unless, maybe, if you've got to recruit, sell your program, and fight to get him to come play for you like some schools do. That part is extremely unsavory!
Is it unsavory when kids going to college do the same thing?
Old 04-05-18, 03:54 AM
All American

Quote:
In other words, they've found some kids to shore up the defense, but still need some held on the offensive side.
I don't know if it's offense, defense or special teams but if the classroom and roster isn't full they should be offering the opportunity to more kids out there. I would say they have an obligation to do so since then of the school and program depend on it.
Old 04-05-18, 03:58 AM
All American

Quote:
"Selling" and a high school education just don't seem to go together to me.

Public schools sell their program all the time. They may not "go together" for you but it's a necessary reality. The product is sold to the community all the time when a levy is put before the voters or fund raisers are being had.

It's a service that is either chosen by families in the community or not. Proving it's value to those who fund it and those who may choose to use is just good educational business.
Old 04-05-18, 04:03 AM
All American

Quote:

I don't think it's crazy to promote the decision of a kid and family choosing to stay in his community to go to school and play. Anyway you can positively promote the kids and program is a good thing to me.
Old 04-05-18, 07:07 AM
All Yappi

MickeyMantle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
I'm sure they go they for the spiritual environment, moral values and Christian education LOL
It's pretty unsavory of you to so condescendingly assume they do not.
Old 04-05-18, 07:10 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Would you prefer private schools simply sit back and wait for people to come to them by chance? You do realize they're selling a product, right?
Old 04-05-18, 07:47 AM
All Region

dadXgtm is on a distinguished road
The fact that they are holding up athletic jerseys and not a crested jacket or physics, chemistry, or history text book; speaks volumes!
Old 04-05-18, 07:56 AM
All American

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMantle View Post
Would you prefer private schools simply sit back and wait for people to come to them by chance? You do realize they're selling a product, right?
The problem with some private schools is what are they selling ? A good religious experience or a chance to win a state championship and college scholarship in sports. Only 3 % of Black Americans identify themselves as Catholic yet some of these football and basketball rosters are made up of much more than 3% Black Americans. Why is that ? If half the football and bball teams are more than 50 % Black Americans is the entire school body 50% black if not why not. Even the biggest proponents of private schools I think can see why some people like me are very skeptical of how they " sell " their schools.
Old 04-05-18, 08:20 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
The problem with some private schools is what are they selling ? A good religious experience or a chance to win a state championship and college scholarship in sports. Only 3 % of Black Americans identify themselves as Catholic yet some of these football and basketball rosters are made up of much more than 3% Black Americans. Why is that ? If half the football and bball teams are more than 50 % Black Americans is the entire school body 50% black if not why not. Even the biggest proponents of private schools I think can see why some people like me are very skeptical of how they " sell " their schools.
We don't offer a great education to students because they are Catholic. We do because we are Catholic.

Sorry about your biases, though.
Old 04-05-18, 08:49 AM
All Ohio

FootballFan1795 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
What makes you so sure that the Church isn't presently training us up so we can be the first ones out there to baptize Black Americans before the Mormons get at 'em? Just give us a minute.
Old 04-05-18, 09:03 AM
All American

Quote:
We don't offer a great education to students because they are Catholic. We do because we are Catholic.

Sorry about your biases, though.
You did not answer the question instead you made a blanket statement and accusations which some posters do when they cannot come up with an answer. As far as me being bias I am Catholic and I work for a company that has quite a few black Americans some of whom I consider my friends. Back to the question why are not the sport teams representative of the entire student bodies at most of these private schools i.e. black athletes vs black students or are they?
Old 04-05-18, 09:08 AM
All World

queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Back to the question why are not the sport teams representative of the entire student bodies at most of these private schools i.e. black athletes vs black students or are they?
That anyone cares about this or even notices says far more about them than about any institution.
Old 04-05-18, 09:14 AM
All American

Bo Kimble is on a distinguished road
Lot of veiled racism in this post. As the final 4 wound down and 2 of the 4 (& many top schools in the country) were Catholic the basketball prowess was linked to the inexpensive nature of that sport and the location of the churches in urban centers. Now before the “that’s basketball” talk takes off, it’s not hard to see that line of thinking.

Mack EVERY school sells sports, academics, arts, music, drama and everything else. Public, private, closed, open, virtual whatever they all sell themselves. Education, and in an era of traveling tax dollars, is a competitive as ever field.
Old 04-05-18, 09:18 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
You did not answer the question instead you made a blanket statement and accusations which some posters do when they cannot come up with an answer.
Of course, I answered the question. The product being sold is an outstanding educational experience that is multifaceted.

Quote:
As far as me being bias I am Catholic and I work for a company that has quite a few black Americans some of whom I consider my friends.
OK, cool. You being Catholic and having some black friends absolves you from your bigoted post.

Quote:
Back to the question why are not the sport teams representative of the entire student bodies at most of these private schools i.e. black athletes vs black students or are they?
Who says they are not?
Old 04-05-18, 09:19 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by queencitybuckeye View Post
That anyone cares about this or even notices says far more about them than about any institution.
Agreed.
Old 04-05-18, 09:19 AM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by queencitybuckeye View Post
This.

Not a great look for StirredNotShaken here.
Old 04-05-18, 09:40 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish82 View Post
This.

Not a great look for StirredNotShaken here.
Posters like to label other posters because they question how some schools go about " recruiting" athletes. My point is this if a private school (Catholic or non - Catholic) wants a kid to come to their school to play sports fine, but than any kid ( black or any color ) who wants to go to that school should be accepted whether he is a jock or not and whether he can afford it or not. If not these private schools are being very hypocritical. Unless you are telling me that all these athletes at these private schools are paying their own way.
Old 04-05-18, 09:47 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Posters like to label other posters because they question how some schools go about " recruiting" athletes. My point is this if a private school (Catholic or non - Catholic) wants a kid to come to their school to play sports fine, but than any kid ( black or any color ) who wants to go to that school should be accepted whether he is a jock or not and whether he can afford it or not. If not these private schools are being very hypocritical. Unless you are telling me that all these athletes at these private schools are paying their own way.
Your assumption that this is not the case proves the label.
Old 04-05-18, 09:56 AM
All American

Quote:
Your assumption that this is not the case proves the label.
Just proves you won't answer the question do all students who play sports ( at private schools ) pay their own way ? If not fine but any kid who wants to go to a private should be allowed to whether he can afford it or not.
Old 04-05-18, 09:59 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Just proves you won't answer the question do all students who play sports pay their own way ? If not fine but any kid who wants to go to a private should be allowed whether he can afford it or not.
I can only speak to the school I'm familiar with, at which there are no full rides for any student ó sports or no sports. Every family pays something. And yes, any kid who wants to go to a private school can qualify for financial aid even if he or she does not plays sports. It's pretty silly you even ask that.
Old 04-05-18, 10:07 AM
All World

queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Just proves you won't answer the question do all students who play sports ( at private schools ) pay their own way ? If not fine but any kid who wants to go to a private should be allowed to whether he can afford it or not.
Why? Is there some reason that sports can't be a contributing factor to whether someone is admitted to a school? Is there a reason that can't be considered along side academic prowess or some talent in other areas that makes for a more accomplished student body? Why are you getting such a chubby about it considering you've never seen a black person on the mean streets of New Knoxville, much less "lost" one to a private school?
Old 04-05-18, 10:30 AM
All American

C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
Just a fact VASJ is at least 65%-70% black and been that way for years now. And a good chunk are not even athletes. That demographic usually attends home games only unless for a few non home games. Same goes with football games as well because they get in with their student idís .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-18, 02:32 PM
All Yappi

BlessEmAll is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BlessEmAll
Alright kids, let's play nice here.
Closed Thread