Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-15-18, 10:36 AM
All Region

Finishtiming is on a distinguished road
Middle School Coaches Must read (HS Coaches also)

Coaches
Not sure if anyone knows this but I just received an email from Baumspage that ALL MS teams that want to compete in the OHSAA State meet for MS this year they must declare their intent to do so by March 24th. (9 days from now) There are 876 MS in the state and only about 450 have done so as of now.

The email to me was so that I could change all 876 MS teams in my system to match theirs and they have known since June and I got the email 9 days before season starts. So do not call me to ask about this as I am busy.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-18, 08:39 PM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
Wow.....what a crap show.
Old 03-16-18, 09:23 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
Wow.....what a crap show.
It's just another sunny day in Ohio.
Old 03-17-18, 08:28 AM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
I'm missing what the big deal is here. Why is this a "crap show"?

Doesn't everyone deal with deadlines? It seems rather prudent to me that the OHSAA has a list of declared schools before the first meet and first performance list comes out so that there isn't a huge debacle when the performance list has kids that aren't eligible for the meet populating it. It's not like the schools are obligated in some way that taking a few minutes to fill out the form to declare has some dire consequence if they don't eventually participate.
Old 03-17-18, 09:26 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
I'm missing what the big deal is here. Why is this a "crap show"?

Doesn't everyone deal with deadlines? It seems rather prudent to me that the OHSAA has a list of declared schools before the first meet and first performance list comes out so that there isn't a huge debacle when the performance list has kids that aren't eligible for the meet populating it. It's not like the schools are obligated in some way that taking a few minutes to fill out the form to declare has some dire consequence if they don't eventually participate.
9 days for a deadline that 800+ schools need info for regardless if they are going or not. How would you like to get meet info 9 days before all your stuff?
Old 03-17-18, 09:49 AM
All Region

gatornation is on a distinguished road
It is 9 days to check "I Do", not to get a meet ready or even kids ready or even parents ready for that matter. You have 2 months to do that. I would prefer to see a list of eligible kids rather than "maybes!"
Old 03-17-18, 10:27 AM
All American

Altor is on a distinguished road
And you all are also assuming that this message wasn't sent to ADs and Principals long ago.
Old 03-17-18, 05:14 PM
All World

There obviously had to be something sent out or why would there be 450 schools already declared?

I have yet to do a high school meet where I didn't have to open up the entries again after 8pm the night before the meet started. I have had to add full teams 20 minutes before the first race and redraw every race in a really big meet. More than once. It's sort of hard to send kids away because their coach can't get it right. I'll do what it takes to make sure kids can compete. I rarely get 9 days for any deadline I have to hit.
Old 03-19-18, 09:16 AM
All Region

Quote:
There obviously had to be something sent out or why would there be 450 schools already declared?

I have yet to do a high school meet where I didn't have to open up the entries again after 8pm the night before the meet started. I have had to add full teams 20 minutes before the first race and redraw every race in a really big meet. More than once. It's sort of hard to send kids away because their coach can't get it right. I'll do what it takes to make sure kids can compete. I rarely get 9 days for any deadline I have to hit.
The point is not that it was not sent it is that not all AD's sent the info to the coach or actually said they would be attending if possible. I talked to 12 coaches the same day I received the info and none knew of it. MS coaches have a very high turn over and most do not even see any info until a couple days before a meet. SW ohio has many schools that share an athletic director for HS and MS so MS info is last to be sent out if at all.
Old 03-19-18, 09:59 AM
All World

Finish dont worry, psycho doesnt understand the "logical" way to do things
Old 03-19-18, 04:20 PM
All American

Altor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finishtiming View Post
The point is not that it was not sent it is that not all AD's sent the info to the coach or actually said they would be attending if possible.
That may have been your point, but it appeared to me that a couple others in the thread were trying to hang this on the OHSAA offices yet again (though admittedly they did not come right out and say it). If the school administrators don't know who the MS coaches are, how can they expect the OHSAA offices to know who to include in the memo?

Meanwhile, like I'm sure you already have, I will be sending out information in the next 48 hours for a meet the first weekend of April telling the coaches how they can submit their entries. I will scour the websites and the OHSAA directory site for contact information for the coaches and I guarantee I will only find 4-5 names for the 8 boys and 8 girls teams that are scheduled to be there. I will include the ADs for all the schools, but I will still get a phone call or e-mail after the entry window closes because the AD did not forward my info to him/her in time. According to the logic posted above, this is my fault.
Old 03-19-18, 07:25 PM
All World

I am assuming that the AD's are adults. I also assume that it is their job and that they get paid to do their job. The OHSAA isn't sending this stuff to a bunch of 14 year old kids are they? I've been around AD's and athletics my entire life. Not a super fast paced job with an unmanageable amount of work to get done each day. I would imagine that somehow over a one week time frame, it would be reasonable for any AD to be able to carve out 10 minutes of their schedule and get this done.

I'm hope we all expect our kids to be able to do more than we expect AD's and coaches to do.
Old 03-20-18, 10:28 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
That may have been your point, but it appeared to me that a couple others in the thread were trying to hang this on the OHSAA offices yet again (though admittedly they did not come right out and say it). If the school administrators don't know who the MS coaches are, how can they expect the OHSAA offices to know who to include in the memo?
But my main point for this is that ALL timing companies must change the way we handle our entries now with regards to name changes and such to match baumspage as most of us do not use baums since it is ancient and is really a pain in the butt to use as a timer.(plus quite pricey for the amount of meets we do) We were told of this change 9 days before the outdoor season is to start.

In regards to psycho thinking it is easy to be an AD and they have all kinds of time, think again. I know of many AD that are still also teaching a class or 2 along with being AD of both HS and MS teams and all sports facilities without an assistant. Not many can keep up without being at the school from early morning to late evening.
Old 03-20-18, 03:27 PM
All American

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I am assuming that the AD's are adults. I also assume that it is their job and that they get paid to do their job. The OHSAA isn't sending this stuff to a bunch of 14 year old kids are they? I've been around AD's and athletics my entire life. Not a super fast paced job with an unmanageable amount of work to get done each day. I would imagine that somehow over a one week time frame, it would be reasonable for any AD to be able to carve out 10 minutes of their schedule and get this done.

I'm hope we all expect our kids to be able to do more than we expect AD's and coaches to do.
My experience with AD's in the past is for sports like cross country or track, AD's can be less than reliable with regards to support...like they would put items related to those sports on the backburner, where they just forget about it. Fortunately we don't have that problem now, that our Track coach IS our AD, but still, I don't forget those days.