Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-13-18, 09:32 AM
All World

Lionattack is on a distinguished road
Coaches thoughts on outside practice and when to go inside

Coaches whats your rule of thumb on inside vs outside workouts based on weather?

Yesterday we went outside its not going to be much warmer today but much windier today.

Just looking for thoughts Thank You!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-18, 09:38 AM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
We usually have our whole team warmup outside.....our mid distance and distance kids usually stay out. Its never cold of you are moving.

Sprints and throws go in. We have chutes, indoor sleds, indoor hurdles and weightroom stuff to do.

We make is as productive a possible.
Old 03-13-18, 09:57 AM
Freshman

RunnerAdespota is on a distinguished road
If there's snow/ice on the track - which there has been the past two weeks for us - I'll typically stay inside. We got some work in the park on the trail/hills behind our school property last week, though, as the trail was more or less clear.

It's snowing really hard right now, so we're going to do "chariot races" today - like competitive carpet pulls. It's a team favorite.

We get creative inside. We have one long hall that we can get about 150m on, so we can do some interval work. We can get fartleks using the about 400m loop of our second floor. We've done a lot of wickets set up with a rollout to save their shins as best I can. We have a "fitness center" we lift a lot in, and that also has a variety of ellipticals/bikes/some treadmills.

I'm hoping Friday we can get out. We have a huge team this year (for us) as our program has really grown, and it feels cramped and noisy, even if the kids have been champs about it. But the weather doesn't look good up here right now. We might not consistently be out until next week. Even then, it looks like it might be too cold to melt the ice/snow.
Old 03-17-18, 12:24 PM
All District

badger1 is on a distinguished road
Inside??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	29244767_10156349535178944_2405611611986329600_o.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	2191  
Old 03-17-18, 12:27 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
Inside??
Ha. I remember doing this when I was at Chardon as an assistant, and I've done it at every school I've coached at since. But you can't do it every day, lol.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-18, 12:35 PM
All District

badger1 is on a distinguished road
Well . . . I beg to differ about not doing this every day. Still a foot of snow on the track and we've been outside every day. Distance kids start inside for core, strength work, and maybe drills and then are outside regardless of what's falling from the sky or what the temp is. Sprinters have been outside on hard days. If we waited for ideal weather, we'd never practice outside and most kids' shins would fall off.
Old 03-17-18, 01:18 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
Well . . . I beg to differ about not doing this every day. Still a foot of snow on the track and we've been outside every day. Distance kids start inside for core, strength work, and maybe drills and then are outside regardless of what's falling from the sky or what the temp is. Sprinters have been outside on hard days. If we waited for ideal weather, we'd never practice outside and most kids' shins would fall off.
Agreed. We work with what we're given. Our track has been mostly clear for the latter half of this week, and we have also used a trail with hills behind our property that is usually clear before the track is. Most of my distance kids have also been outside every day on the pavement or in the snow. They love being outside, regardless of conditions.

I guess I just meant that I have used crossfields/intervals in the snow as an early season big conditioning workout and to offset some of the other acceleration, speed or speed endurance work we do inside. Plus the kids take a lot of pride in completing it.

We haven't had a lot of shin problems despite our volume on hard surfaces as we do a calf/shin routine for the first 15 minutes before every practice, and the kids have been doing it since middle school. They're not immune, but I think they do a good job of staying on top of it. Also, our snow has tended towards ice, not powder, for the first week and a half of the season, which further constrained us to inside or pavement.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-18, 02:50 PM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
At our school they do not call it indoor track, they call it winter track. So even for the "indoor" season, they spend as much time as possible outside. So all of spring track is outside.