Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-26-17, 08:59 AM
All World

1disciple is on a distinguished road
Dare we say that the league is Anthony Waynes to lose?
Southview goes down against Millington MI 29-26 too many missed extra points.
Old 08-26-17, 09:39 AM
Freshman

Jacket1816 is on a distinguished road
Yes, AW has been my pick to win NLL this year over Springfield. Was surprised Blade put Pburg tied w/ AW at #2 in NLL. I don't know at this point if Pburg will even go 5-5. But we'll see.
Old 08-26-17, 12:00 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
What's the deal on that Northview QB? He have college offers? Reception results aside, I can't think of but one pass first half he didn't put into someone's hands, in timing, whether they were sprinting 30-40 yds down the sideline, on a slant, whatever. And the one I recall went between two receivers also went between two defenders. In other words, it was the smart pass.

Granted, he didn't have to do too much on the run but he did get pressured.
Old 08-26-17, 12:03 PM
All District

Trailsendcustom is on a distinguished road
AW is extremely solid. Very well coached. They dominated every facet of the game against St. Francis even without their biggest playmaker.

The only thing lacking for AW is explosive speed. They did most of their damage slow and methodically.

I highly doubt anyone in the NLL can match up with the physicality that AW will give them.
Old 08-26-17, 12:03 PM
Varsity

Jackets is on a distinguished road
Looked at the box score for the Coffman Perrysburg game. Only 24 rushing yards from the Jackets. I wasn't at the game so I don't know how often they ran the ball but for a team that has traditionally been a run first program, that is a stat that needs to be fixed.
Old 08-26-17, 02:00 PM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
What's the deal on that Northview QB? He have college offers? Reception results aside, I can't think of but one pass first half he didn't put into someone's hands, in timing, whether they were sprinting 30-40 yds down the sideline, on a slant, whatever. And the one I recall went between two receivers also went between two defenders. In other words, it was the smart pass.

Granted, he didn't have to do too much on the run but he did get pressured.
Brandon Leach does not have any offers currently. He will probably wind up at a D-II unless someone comes in late.

He has a distinct throwing motion. Kind of like Phillip Rivers. I've always been told you cannot teach height and he has that. He will make some college pro style offense happy down the road.

Both Northview and Clay will find out a lot about each other and more importantly themselves come 10:00PM Friday night.
Old 08-26-17, 02:41 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackets View Post
Looked at the box score for the Coffman Perrysburg game. Only 24 rushing yards from the Jackets. I wasn't at the game so I don't know how often they ran the ball but for a team that has traditionally been a run first program, that is a stat that needs to be fixed.
Last year's starter, Backus, was a very good running QB. For whatever reason they went with Sims this year instead of Backus, who is no longer playing. Sims is ok passing but not as good a runner, and that hurts. Also, OL is small and gets pushed around, thus making it difficult to establish the run. I don't think Jackets have a real physical running back anymore like Hayes two years ago or Selhorst last year and year before who could push forward and get extra yards even with defenders hanging on them.
Old 08-26-17, 03:53 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Brandon Leach does not have any offers currently. He will probably wind up at a D-II unless someone comes in late.
I'm fairly sure I know what I was looking at. His game yesterday would be a highlight reel of footballs bouncing off palms (not finger tips). Good touch too under normal conditions but I don't think his receivers were ready yet. They get ready I think that QB is going to help THEM get an offer or two for school paid.
Old 08-26-17, 05:18 PM
All World

I was not doubting you. I think the kid has big upside. After you posted I decided to look up if he had any offers and he did not. I'm sure that Coach Downing, who came from the college ranks, will have a hand in helping.

Last edited by irish_buffalo; 08-26-17 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-26-17, 07:17 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I was not doubting you. I think the kid has big upside. After you posted I decided to look up if he had any offers and he did not. I'm sure that Coach Downing, who came from the college ranks, will help have a hand in helping.

I wasn't thinking that. More, wondering if I missed something. I googled too. From Canada via Mich? Chance he went there to play hockey? He had several in the stands rooting/feeling for him but I think we've always been good about giving credit to teams/bands that come in and give a good show. Wish him the best now that he's not throwing at our secondary. He'll have bigger tests down the road.
Old 08-26-17, 09:29 PM
Freshman

SOD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I wasn't thinking that. More, wondering if I missed something. I googled too. From Canada via Mich? Chance he went there to play hockey? He had several in the stands rooting/feeling for him but I think we've always been good about giving credit to teams/bands that come in and give a good show. Wish him the best now that he's not throwing at our secondary. He'll have bigger tests down the road.
I saw all 10 games last year as my daughter was in the band at NV. He showed a great arm last year.....would say he struggled with deciding where to throw the ball. He had some good games early last year.....but struggled in the league with INTs. He isn't the most mobile guy in the world so struggles if there is a strong pass rush. Actual lost the starting position to a SR by the end of the year. It wasn't just drops last year, it was throwing into double and triple teams. Hullibarger is by far his best receiver but he plays both ways so does take quite a few plays off. Drops were a problem last year as well....the receivers just have a hard time dealing with the velocity of his throws.

Hopefully Downing sticks around and keeps building a program. The number of players seems to be going up each year.
Old 08-27-17, 08:20 AM
All District

NLLBEST is on a distinguished road
I thought I saw that Northview only had about 20 sophomores and juniors combined in the program.
Old 08-27-17, 08:36 AM
All District

single wing is an unknown quantity at this point
NLL slate for this week:

Springfield vs. Bowsher
AW vs. Tiffin Columbian
Perrysburg vs. St. John's
Northview vs. Clay
Bowling Green vs. Eastwood
Maumee vs. Waite
Southview vs. Ross
Napoleon vs. Liberty Center

NLL likely goes 4-4 next Friday.
Old 08-27-17, 10:13 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLLBEST View Post
I thought I saw that Northview only had about 20 sophomores and juniors combined in the program.
They must have a lot of Fr and Sr. Seemed a normally sized team.
Old 08-27-17, 10:48 AM
All World

Perrysburg has 53 kids out 10-12. I find it hard to believe, with the Jackets recent success, and size of the school, that they can only get 53 kids out? Public school ebb and flow I suppose.

The Coffman game is on youtube. Did someone say Backus was not playing? They could use him in some capacity.
Old 08-27-17, 05:09 PM
Freshman

SOD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLLBEST View Post
Is that from Maxpreps? I don't think that roster is inclusive of all Soph and Jrs.
Old 08-28-17, 09:26 AM
Varsity

PburgFB5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Perrysburg has 53 kids out 10-12. I find it hard to believe, with the Jackets recent success, and size of the school, that they can only get 53 kids out? Public school ebb and flow I suppose.

The Coffman game is on youtube. Did someone say Backus was not playing? They could use him in some capacity.
Backus decided that if he wasn't playing QB he wasn't playing. The issue is Backus is a good runner but an average to below average thrower and Sims is a decent passer, but below average runner. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Could have used Backus as a DB and WR/RB. The line on both side of the ball got man handled. Skill positions are average at best this year. If Sims does not have time it will be along year. I have said all along, when you loose all but one receiver, your Running Back, all but one of your back 7 on defense, I don't care how experienced your OL/DL are there will be a learning curve. The other issue I saw on film was the Jackets looked very slow overall. Might be a long year unless Kregel pulls off a great Coaching job.
Old 08-28-17, 09:46 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PburgFB5 View Post
Backus decided that if he wasn't playing QB he wasn't playing. The issue is Backus is a good runner but an average to below average thrower and Sims is a decent passer, but below average runner. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Could have used Backus as a DB and WR/RB.
Which would probably be his best shot at getting to play college. But, his life. If you don't like the game, it's silly to play. Best of to the kid.

Seems out of the usual for that coach, no? He usually goes with the runner.
Old 08-28-17, 11:27 AM
All World

Quote:
Backus decided that if he wasn't playing QB he wasn't playing. The issue is Backus is a good runner but an average to below average thrower and Sims is a decent passer, but below average runner. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Could have used Backus as a DB and WR/RB. The line on both side of the ball got man handled. Skill positions are average at best this year. If Sims does not have time it will be along year. I have said all along, when you loose all but one receiver, your Running Back, all but one of your back 7 on defense, I don't care how experienced your OL/DL are there will be a learning curve. The other issue I saw on film was the Jackets looked very slow overall. Might be a long year unless Kregel pulls off a great Coaching job.
I saw Backus play last year and I think he is every bit the same passer as Sims. Now that is not to say Sims will not grow into the role but unless a kid is REALLY special, you win with seniors & experience. Something to be said for "learning to win" vs. "learning to lose" as well.

You also no longer have three/four weeks to prepare for Whitmer and then enter league.
Old 08-28-17, 12:36 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Which would probably be his best shot at getting to play college. But, his life. If you don't like the game, it's silly to play. Best of to the kid.

Seems out of the usual for that coach, no? He usually goes with the runner.
True. Perrysburg has for a number of years now gone with a strong running QB, bonus points for passers such as Dimmerling and Hafner who were both truly special. After Backus' injury last year, with the lack of QB development overall (no immediate true back up with he was injured - Bezak at WR filled in for a game or two), and then the promotion of Sims, I had a hunch Sims was going to be named "QB of the future" and Backus would be out. I have noticed the past couple of years that there was been much more focus on the younger guys (the freshman teams always seem to be super strong as freshman) and less on developing players at all levels. I think that is part of the reason why several seniors (not just Backus) and others elected not to return this year. Hence, down from 66 to 55 (and it would be 51 if not for the 4 freshman on the Varsity/JV squad). I have observed lack of development for both Varsity & JV, to the detriment of seniors/juniors at the expense of sophomores/freshmen for at least 2 years now. We'll see how it all plays out...
Old 08-28-17, 12:40 PM
Freshman

Quote:
I saw Backus play last year and I think he is every bit the same passer as Sims. Now that is not to say Sims will not grow into the role but unless a kid is REALLY special, you win with seniors & experience. Something to be said for "learning to win" vs. "learning to lose" as well.

You also no longer have three/four weeks to prepare for Whitmer and then enter league.
Further to my comment above, there are only 12 seniors on this year's team, down from past years. Of those, only 3 are likely to see any significant playing time as of this point, plus maybe one other kid who has been injured. Not sure who back up QB is - I believe it is a freshman.

Last edited by Jacket1816; 08-28-17 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-28-17, 02:45 PM
Varsity

Quote:

Sims is a better passer or shall I say he was with 4 experienced receivers he had last year. I went to a couple 7 on 7s this year and he was given every opportunity to win the job, but he was just struggling with is accuracy. Once camp started they told him they were going with Sims and he wanted no part of their plan for him. This is a weak senior class. I think they struggle all around this year until these young skill players gain some experience and confidence. There were a few drops on Friday night, but Sims was running for his life.
Old 08-28-17, 04:43 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket1816 View Post
Not sure who back up QB is - I believe it is a freshman.
I'd assume the senior WR Bezek who stepped in last year when Backus went down?

Even those great teams from a couple years ago did not start as sophs. Wetsfall did, as the season wore on Honesberger and Hafner saw more time. It is tough to play a bunch of youth out of need, with a FAR tougher schedule, and to expect growth. Which is why I made the comment that kids learn how to win or how to lose.
Old 08-28-17, 04:44 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket1816 View Post
True. Perrysburg has for a number of years now gone with a strong running QB, bonus points for passers such as Dimmerling and Hafner who were both truly special. After Backus' injury last year, with the lack of QB development overall (no immediate true back up with he was injured - Bezak at WR filled in for a game or two), and then the promotion of Sims, I had a hunch Sims was going to be named "QB of the future" and Backus would be out. I have noticed the past couple of years that there was been much more focus on the younger guys (the freshman teams always seem to be super strong as freshman) and less on developing players at all levels. I think that is part of the reason why several seniors (not just Backus) and others elected not to return this year. Hence, down from 66 to 55 (and it would be 51 if not for the 4 freshman on the Varsity/JV squad). I have observed lack of development for both Varsity & JV, to the detriment of seniors/juniors at the expense of sophomores/freshmen for at least 2 years now. We'll see how it all plays out...
I'd think even in P-Burg they'd figure out that Fr and Sophs become Seniors and sometime along the way, learn to read the writing on the wall. Coach might want to reevaluate.
Old 08-28-17, 04:45 PM
All World

Quote:
Sims is a better passer or shall I say he was with 4 experienced receivers he had last year. I went to a couple 7 on 7s this year and he was given every opportunity to win the job, but he was just struggling with is accuracy. Once camp started they told him they were going with Sims and he wanted no part of their plan for him. This is a weak senior class. I think they struggle all around this year until these young skill players gain some experience and confidence. There were a few drops on Friday night, but Sims was running for his life.
But that is not what built the Perrysburg program to what it is. Dimmerling and Hafner are far better than Sims and they did not start as sophs (Hafner did when Dimmerling went down).

I do not really have a horse in this race but I watched the slow build since 2006 and it was not accomplished pushing out seniors and starting a bunch of sophs. out of need rather than because they are that good.
Old 08-28-17, 04:48 PM
Junior Varsity

dappling is on a distinguished road
Hence my earlier prediction that Maumee will beat Perrysburg this year.

Maumee 27 Perrysburg 8

Anyone buying? :-)
Old 08-29-17, 08:36 AM
Varsity

Too early to tell. I have seen teams start off slow and improve greatly by week 10. I also have seen teams start fast with a weak non conference schedule and then fall flat when the competition gets hard in there league, i.e. NV last couple of years. I will hold my prediction in Maumee vs Pburg until week 10.
Old 08-29-17, 07:24 PM
All District

single wing is an unknown quantity at this point
Springfield 42 vs. Bowsher 13

AW 35 vs. Tiffin Columbian 17

Perrysburg 21 vs. St. John's 20

Northview 21 vs. Clay 28

Bowling Green 14 vs. Eastwood 34

Maumee 40 vs. Waite 6

Southview 6 vs. Ross 42

Napoleon 13 vs. Liberty Center 14
Old 08-30-17, 03:15 PM
Freshman

Wasn't surprised by Perrysburg's loss last week against Dublin Coffman, just the margin of it. I don't know much about St. John's but expect that with their larger OL and standout linebacker Gant (headed to OSU) they will be able to handle Perrysburg and win. No idea what final score may be. Closer than last week, I hope!
Old 09-01-17, 12:31 AM
Varsity

Jackets is on a distinguished road
For a speed long as I have remembered Perrysburg's developmental strategy has been to throw the young guys who aren't starting on the scout team. They would get better competition from the starters than the JV teams they play on Saturday mornings. They would also get coaching on the field and in film sessions as scout team players.

The big switch came when Perrysburg started to experience success. The coaching staff wanted to put their best 11 offensive players that weren't in on defense on the scout team during defensive drills and their best 11 defensive players that weren't in on offense on scout team during offensive drills. This led to situations where 7 or 8 of the guys on the scout teams would be starters. The staff carried a mentality that they were going to try to win during the season they were playing rather than concentrate on developing talent on the younger levels. This current senior class fell victim to this strategy in my opinion. They were sophomores when that strong senior class led Perrysburg to states. That particular year the majority of the scout team were seniors and juniors that were either starting or strong backups. That group was capable of polishing the guys at the varsity level better than the sophomore class at the time do those sophomores would receive very little attention, not to mention coaching. The coaching staff also saw more talent from what is now the junior class, so the best players from that class were brought up to JV in what was their Freshmen years to play ahead of the Sophomores. This meant that this current group of seniors received relatively no coaching during varsity practices their Sophomore years, didn't play on Friday nights, AND didn't play in JV games either

Long story short I believe the Jackets are currently the victims of their own success. I'm sure next year brings back the Perrysburg we have gotten used to seeing with an army of 3 year letterwinners leading the team.