Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-24-16, 05:05 PM
All Region

teach1coach2 is on a distinguished road
East Central Ohio League teams searching for new league

The 10 team ECOL has already had 2 teams officially announce they are leaving and most of the other teams are actively searching for a new league home. Thought I would start a thread to follow the progress of each in finding a new league.

1. Claymont - officially headed to the Inter-Valley Conference starting in 2016-17.

2. Rosecrans - officially headed to the Mid-State League (Cardinal division) starting in 2017-18.

3. Zanesville - rumors had them trying to start a new league with central Ohio teams, but recent reports have them going to the Licking County League in the future.

4-5. Dover and New Philadelphia - rumors about Federal League, Ohio Cardinal Conference, and being part of a newly formed league. Also mentioned with the teams opting out of the NBC.

A couple FYIs.

Cambridge, Meadowbrook, and Coshocton applied to the Muskingum Valley League before school started and in October the MVL voted to stay a 9 team league and not add those teams and go to two 6 team divisions.

The Pioneer Valley Conference is losing Buckeye Trail to the IVC which drops the PVC to 5 teams (D6 and D7 in football). The PVC recently invited Cambridge, Meadowbrook, and Marietta along with Warren Local (one of 3 teams left in the SouthEast Ohio Athletic League) and Morgan (MVL) to join the PVC and form a large school division. AD's at Morgan and Meadowbrook have already said publicly their schools are not interested.

6. Marietta - Hope that Logan does not go to the Licking County League and go back to the SEOAL with Warren Local, Jackson, and Logan. Maybe add a couple WV teams to that league.

I would think these teams need to continue in the ECOL as a 4 team league and hope the MVL changes their mind about 3 of them someday.

7-9. Cambridge , Meadowbrook, Coshocton.

10. River View - haven't heard them linked to any other leagues.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-16, 07:16 PM
All World

BGFalcons86 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by teach1coach2 View Post

4-5. Dover and New Philadelphia - rumors about Federal League, Ohio Cardinal Conference, and being part of a newly formed league. Also mentioned with the teams opting out of the NBC.
Dover and New Philadelphia... Would love to see the Tornadoes and Quakers in the same league with Louisville!
Old 01-24-16, 08:18 PM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enough
The MVL not voting those 3 teams in was one of the dumber moves I've seen in years.
Old 01-24-16, 10:37 PM
All Region

ferflog is on a distinguished road
The MVL, as I was told, had 3 options:
1. Admit Cambridge, Coshocton, and Meadowbrook and go to 2 divisions.
2. Admit only Meadowbrook and stay with 1 division.
3. Admit none of them and remain the same.

Option #3 carried the day.
Old 01-25-16, 12:39 AM
All Ohio

ECOLace is on a distinguished road
It's amazing how Claymont leaving kind of screwed up the entire thing.
Old 01-25-16, 08:19 AM
Varsity

knockout99 is on a distinguished road
Claymont was being pro-active. Claymont knew the odds were Rosecrans would eventually leave and that would leave them in the mess that the ECOL is currently in. Thus, Claymont would have to go back to playing Dover, Phila, Cambridge, Zanesville which is not good.

The unfortunate thing is, before the IVC, a new league was being discussed where Coshocton and Meadowbrook were included. Coshocton was adamant about staying in the ECOL saying that they would never leave the ECOL. They were informed that if just one team left the ECOL, be it Claymont, Rosecrans or whomever, the league would fold or have to go back to a one division league. So Coshocton stuck to their guns and Claymont was presented with the IVC. Claymonts AD was dead on and made the right decision.

Dover and Phila are going to the Cardinal conference with Ashland and those teams in a two division league.
Old 01-25-16, 08:34 AM
All Region

I don't see how it benefits Claymont to play football in the IVC. Could go 10-0 and perhaps not make the playoffs. And they won't get better playing D-6 and D-7 schools.
Old 01-25-16, 09:33 AM
All Region

styx is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferflog View Post
I don't see how it benefits Claymont to play football in the IVC. Could go 10-0 and perhaps not make the playoffs. And they won't get better playing D-6 and D-7 schools.
Wrong. Claymont will be in a division with D IV Indian Valley, D V Ridgewood, Tusky Valley and Garaway and DVI Newcomerstown.
Old 01-25-16, 09:55 AM
All Ohio

doverbuck is on a distinguished road
If the ECOL dissolves,and I think it will I would like to see Dover Phila Louisville perhaps Wooster and Ashland. would probably need 2 more teams,Marlington? Canton South?
Could also go south with Dover,Phila,Zanesville, Steubenville,Tri Valley and maybe Maysville?
Old 01-25-16, 09:58 AM
All Region

Mr. General is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout99 View Post
Dover and Phila are going to the Cardinal conference with Ashland and those teams in a two division league.
I imagine this would create the long rumored OCC East & West Divisions, which would be good for Wooster & West Holmes as the OCC continues to look to expand further west/south.
Old 01-25-16, 10:30 AM
All Region

styx:

A little exaggeration on my part, of course, but they will be playing ONLY one school their size and the rest smaller, including a D6. Still do not see how that is a benefit to the Mustangs.
Old 01-25-16, 12:00 PM
All Region

styx is on a distinguished road
Quote:
styx:

A little exaggeration on my part, of course, but they will be playing ONLY one school their size and the rest smaller, including a D6. Still do not see how that is a benefit to the Mustangs.
Less travel, natural rivalries and playoff programs IV, Ridgewood and Garaway will get them to the playoffs and prepare them far more than their current league set up. Slam dunk for the 922ers.

Sad to see the ECOL go extinct but this is the right move for Dover, Phila, Zanesville and Claymont.
Old 01-25-16, 01:13 PM
All Region

ECOL may very well stay in existence and add some new teams. Time will tell.

Based on their 2015 1-9 record, playoffs for the Mustangs may not be in the near future. Of course, everyone is optimistic this time of the year. Best of luck to Claymont.
Old 01-25-16, 05:37 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
styx:

Here is the enrollment for their division in the IVC:

Uhrichsville Claymont 204 (4) 4
Gnadenhutten Indian Valley 198 (4) 4
Zoarville Tuscarawas Valley 172 (4) 5
Sugarcreek Garaway 153 (6) 5
West Lafayette Ridgewood 164 (6) 5
Newcomerstown 116 (6) 6

Claymont and Indian Valley were 7 and 3 boys respectfully from being D5.

Claymont isn't much bigger than anyone except Newcomerstown. It would have been Sandy Valley instead of Newcomerstown in this division except that Newcomerstown wanted to be in this division because they're in the middle of all the schools. Indian Valley, Garaway and Ridgewood are perennial playoff teams while the only decent program in the small school ECOL was Coshocton.

Much better competition/travel for all teams involved.
Old 01-25-16, 10:18 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by doverbuck View Post
If the ECOL dissolves,and I think it will I would like to see Dover Phila Louisville perhaps Wooster and Ashland. would probably need 2 more teams,Marlington? Canton South?
Could also go south with Dover,Phila,Zanesville, Steubenville,Tri Valley and maybe Maysville?
No MVL schools are looking to leave the league. But if down the road the MVL imploded, besides Tri-Valley and John Glenn, no other MVL schools would even remotely consider being in a league with Philly and Dover.
Old 01-26-16, 08:39 AM
All Ohio

I understand teach but I would love to see Dover,Phila TV Steubenville and Zville in the same league. Just a thought.
Old 01-26-16, 09:22 AM
All Region

doverbuck:

Could have all been in the ECOL, for Steubenville wanted in, but but Marietta, Cambridge, and the smaller schools voted them out.
Old 01-26-16, 10:27 AM
All Ohio

[QUOTE=ferflog;6389446]doverbuck:

Could have all been in the ECOL, for Steubenville wanted in, but but Marietta, Cambridge, and the smaller schools voted them out

Ironically Steubenville is smaller than all of the schools in the scarlet division,and that is where they would compete.
Old 01-26-16, 12:50 PM
Varsity

knockout99 is on a distinguished road
Steubenville "says" they are smaller than all of the other schools.
Old 01-26-16, 01:39 PM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Be interesting where Marietta goes. Logan is going to the LCL leaving the SEOAL dead. That will leave Jackson, Warren, and Marietta with no league. My Athens school leaving the SEOAL in 2007 has turned our area into musical chairs
Old 01-26-16, 04:38 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
doverbuck:

Could have all been in the ECOL, for Steubenville wanted in, but but Marietta, Cambridge, and the smaller schools voted them out.
Steubenville was offered admission to ECOL, but they decided not to accept it because the travel for the other sports would've been tough and the ECOL wouldn't admit them in football only.
Old 01-26-16, 05:05 PM
All Ohio

In the last year every school has explored leaving except for Dover,Phila and Marrietta, with that reality Dover is exploring a possible move themselves, they have to in case it dissolves quickly,the most prominent possibility seems to be an expanded OCC with it being split into an East West format,the east would be Dover Phila Ashland Wooster West Holmes and Mansfield. The West would be the remaining teams plus Mount Vernon and 1 other school.
I think travel wise it is a step back,a lot of small towns on 250 plus a crooked road but The options are very limited,competitively I think it is a step up.
I wish something could be worked out to include Louisville but for now nothing is in the works including the end of the NBC
Old 01-26-16, 11:15 PM
All Region

The Logan newspaper reported today that 2 teams are showing interest in the SouthEast Ohio League (Marietta's old league). I would think Marietta would be one of them.

It also reported that Logan is likely leaving the SEOAL and headed to the Licking County League.
Old 01-27-16, 06:53 AM
All Region

Lion 86 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
In the last year every school has explored leaving except for Dover,Phila and Marrietta, with that reality Dover is exploring a possible move themselves, they have to in case it dissolves quickly,the most prominent possibility seems to be an expanded OCC with it being split into an East West format,the east would be Dover Phila Ashland Wooster West Holmes and Mansfield. The West would be the remaining teams plus Mount Vernon and 1 other school.
I think travel wise it is a step back,a lot of small towns on 250 plus a crooked road but The options are very limited,competitively I think it is a step up.
I wish something could be worked out to include Louisville but for now nothing is in the works including the end of the NBC
Would Dover consider going to a two tier NBC. Large tier: Dover, NP, Louisville, Alliance, Marlington. Small tier:Minerva, Salem, WB, Carrollton, Canton South. 4 OOC games, 4 in tier games, 2 opposite tier small vs. large rotating each year. Great league and speaking for Minerva this would work well playing Louisville only every 2 or 3 years. Win- Win for all involved as travel is not bad and most NBC teams already play Dover, NP in some sports. I know Minerva, NP and Dover play in a lot of sports and all compete well with each other so it could be an all sports conference. Louisville, Dover, NP would be great in this scenario allowing all to compete and thrive.
Old 01-27-16, 06:59 PM
All Ohio

Lion 86
I think Dover and Phila would both be interested in the NBC,but as I understand it is currently kind of a mess not a whole lot different than the ECOL.
I am curious how Minerva has dropped so quickly from D3,will future classes bring enrollment back up in the near future or is this drop in enrollment long term? Dover currently have 2 of the biggest classes ever going thru,I would not be surprised if we end up D2 for a cycle but will go back to normal enrollment by 2019.
Old 01-28-16, 03:23 AM
All Region

Lion 86 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Lion 86
I think Dover and Phila would both be interested in the NBC,but as I understand it is currently kind of a mess not a whole lot different than the ECOL.
I am curious how Minerva has dropped so quickly from D3,will future classes bring enrollment back up in the near future or is this drop in enrollment long term? Dover currently have 2 of the biggest classes ever going thru,I would not be surprised if we end up D2 for a cycle but will go back to normal enrollment by 2019.
I know adding the 7th division originally put us in D4 for football but enrollment numbers for the future look stagnant or will drop and I beleive Canton South is similiar along with Salem and WB. I want to see the NBC survive for not only Minerva but for Louisville. I like and have great respect for NP and Dover programs and a two tier set up would really be good for all. Louisville, Dover, NP, Marlington and Alliance would be a competetive upper tier. We may find out in March what the future holds for all of us in the NBC, my wish is the 2 tier NBC. I would love to see Minerva and Dover play again. We have just hired a new coach internally that is a former Lion and been part of the system for sometime, our last coach was a rocky road with his wing-t and poor coaching which we hired him from outside the program. We have talent and talk is we have a class upcoming in a few years that may be better than our 2011 team, so it looks like the worst is behind us now. Minerva's issue is numbers, small school and a great soccor program has pulled from football but we could survive in a 2 tier NBC, a 4 game OOC schedule would be an asset and we compete well with Salem, WB, Canton South and our rival Carrollton. Rotating large tier play would allow a chance to compete, even meeting Dover every three years could be during a strong year for us with a chance of a great competetive game.

Last edited by Lion 86; 01-28-16 at 03:53 AM.
Old 01-28-16, 07:03 PM
All Ohio

Sounds awesome Lion,I hope it gets done. I know Minerva has a great history,I was actually in the system (Easr Rochester) and I still know many people from that area. My brother in law was on a Minerva team that had 9 shutouts I think it was 1970 or 71.
Old 01-28-16, 11:06 PM
All Region

The thread titled, "the new OCC" explains the process that might see Dover and New Philly landing in a newly formed OCC East.
Old 01-28-16, 11:33 PM
All District

algernonsidney is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by teach1coach2 View Post
2. Rosecrans - officially headed to the Mid-State League (Cardinal division) starting in 2017-18.
Rosecrans being in this league was totally absurd. Why were they ever in a league with schools triple their size?

Quote:
6. Marietta - Hope that Logan does not go to the Licking County League and go back to the SEOAL with Warren Local, Jackson, and Logan. Maybe add a couple WV teams to that league.
No West Virginia teams are going to join, except for Point Pleasant possibly. They were in the SEOAL back in the 1990's. All the other schools are either too big or too small.
Old 01-28-16, 11:35 PM
All District

algernonsidney is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider6309 View Post
Be interesting where Marietta goes. Logan is going to the LCL leaving the SEOAL dead. That will leave Jackson, Warren, and Marietta with no league. My Athens school leaving the SEOAL in 2007 has turned our area into musical chairs
And they did that so they could play a bunch of little schools and miss the playoffs in some years despite being 9-1.