Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-14-17, 06:13 PM
Varsity

Scrumper is on a distinguished road
The Davidson-Scioto scrimmage would be nice to hear about. Hopefully, an injury free event. Just tenderize and marinate a little for week 2 and 8.
Old 08-15-17, 02:38 PM
All World

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
I think some of the people who know are fans of both programs and don't want to divulge anything. That's OK , no big deal , it would be appreciated, but I realize some ONLY post with snark and negativity towards Coffman at this point , that's OK also , goes with the territory .
Old 08-15-17, 08:48 PM
All World

Lambeau Fields will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
I think some of the people who know are fans of both programs and don't want to divulge anything. That's OK , no big deal , it would be appreciated, but I realize some ONLY post with snark and negativity towards Coffman at this point , that's OK also , goes with the territory .
In my opinion it is tough to read much from the Scioto/Davidson scrimmages (been going on for years now). Others may feel free to opine differently, but Davidson typically throws more in this scrimmage than they do all season. And with the QB's wearing red, the QB keeper off the midline dive is non-factor. Since that is such a big part of their offense, they're easier to defend in settings like this than a full-go scrimmage. I think this factor has the tendency make Davidson's offense look less effective than that it will be during the season and, as a consequence, may make Scioto's defense look further ahead than it might be That all will prove itself out one way or another. From this scrimmage, you'll generally get a better sense of where Davidson defense and Scioto's offense are. That being said, Scioto had more than a few Day 1 starters sitting this one out so you had a lot of different guys in different places. Tough to read how good Davidson's D is with all of the new faces on Scioto's O-line and the make-shift nature of their offense at this time. Other than seeing 'who' has 'what' in terms of size & athletes, very tough to discern much IMHO. We knew going in that Davidson was replacing a lot (entire backfield and much of the O-line?) and they wouldn't have much size. We knew Scioto would have some athletes/playmakers, but would be very green in both trenches.

Friday night will tell us more. I believe Davidson is home? vs. Findley and Scioto is up at O-Lib, if Coffman is Thursday as they normally are, you'll have to choose one. There are benefits and drawbacks to each choice.
Old 08-16-17, 04:07 AM
All World

thanks for the thoughts, I do realize that in this particular scrimmage scenario it's tough to tell what the teams may have or not have .

Davidson obviously will be better in week 8 than they are now,. Scioto game is in two weeks , so more pertinent, my guess is Liberty will handle them up front , as for Findlay scrimmage not sure what they have , but ti would tell us something, Davidson will be inexperienced in a number of areas, pass defense is something that you might look at on Friday.

If I had to guess right now, Davidson look s like 2014 where they ere 6-4 , Scioto will win some games but less than last year , not sure who their QB will be and their line is green and small may be? that will be a problem in a small handful of games, including Coffman
Old 08-16-17, 02:06 PM
All District

Tiger Alum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
thanks for the thoughts, I do realize that in this particular scrimmage scenario it's tough to tell what the teams may have or not have .

Davidson obviously will be better in week 8 than they are now,. Scioto game is in two weeks , so more pertinent, my guess is Liberty will handle them up front , as for Findlay scrimmage not sure what they have , but ti would tell us something, Davidson will be inexperienced in a number of areas, pass defense is something that you might look at on Friday.

If I had to guess right now, Davidson look s like 2014 where they ere 6-4 , Scioto will win some games but less than last year , not sure who their QB will be and their line is green and small may be? that will be a problem in a small handful of games, including Coffman

Yeah Harry. I will agree with you about this years Davidson team. I also get the feeling that it's going to look alot like 2014.They lost their entire backfield from last year.I do not think they have that up the middle power back or go to guy for 25 to 30 carries in the RB position this year.It was that way in 2014 when they had to rely on LB Bailey to get the tough yards just to move the ball and even pickup first downs against good teams.If I had to guess,and I am just basing this on what I saw from the 2 JV running backs late in games last year,they are very fast and they may try to get the edge more than in the past.In an odd way, the new pro turf field may ending up helping the Cats this year.At least on offense that is.
Of course I have been selling HD short the last 2 years and they have exceeded my expectations so who knows ? Unfortunately I haven't seen any scrimmages this year like I usually do but will be there Friday night for Findlay.Quite honestly I'm not really sure what I can learn from watching them vs Findlay who would probably to struggle to win 2 or 3 games if they played a Central Ohio schedule. Not trying to disrespect the Oilers but it is what it is.
Old 08-16-17, 02:52 PM
All World

Well I have certainly been wrong a couple times with what I thought Davidson would do , never thought they could beat Coffman last year , but they played a better ballgame more emotion and better execution in game one and won the ballgame .

Second game I think was a classic case of the team that didn't play to their potential in the regular season{ Coffman } Playing pissed off , having a better game plan { Honestly I opined what I thought they would and should do in game one on offense { Many short passes make Davidson tackle in space over and over again and not cheat on run plays then throw it over the top } , they didn't but did do that in game two to perfection really. They completed 85 percent of their passes and stuffed the run all night hand tweaking their defensive front from game one.

Davidson didn't have the same emotion to draw from in game two and coupled with losing the turnover battle the game was not real competitive.

May be two other years , 2013 I believe, I didn't think the cats would be as good as they became and 2015 I slightly undervalued them .

2014 I was spot on really , but they improved as the season went on and played really well in game two vs Coffman . 2012 ditto, thought Coffman would handle them fairly easily and they did 33-10 in game one but lost a close one where turnovers killed them but Davidson as in most years made some great strides as the season went on .

This year they will most likely eventually have a pretty solid defense , LB'S are good, Nonso is back ? a couple other kids seem to have potential as well . BUT I see the offense struggling to score .

Schedule is tough as well , Lancaster will paly them better Darby and Bradley can play with them , and Coffman and Liberty beat them last year and have more kids back . UA ? if they can't win this year ? God help them . LOL .

So I think they may upset one team may be but won't beat enough of the teams that I thin are better than they are this year . 6-4 will not be good enough to make the paly-offs, , don't think they beat a team that ends up with only one loss like they did that year [Darby } and get the truckload of Harbins.

Have bene wrong before, and will be again may be with this year's 6-4 Davidson prediction
Old 08-17-17, 10:43 AM
All World

Weather iffy for tonight's scrimmage vs Westy C . A lot of guys back for WC including Cameron Phillips a WR who runs a 4.4 and is being heavily recruited. A handful of other really good players in what should be a very close competitive scrimmage . Rocks rolled last year, I look fro WC to want to redeem themselves against the Rocks .

Magistro's last year at the school and the kids will paly hard for him a class act and excellent coach who probably has another job in him and will be successful anywhere he goes.

Rocks looking for guys to win jobs especially in the Secondary and O-Line , look for shuffling even in amore game like scrimmage as they try to get the right people in the right places , so by next Friday they have an initial line-up set .

Interesting article in USA Today yesterday on the High school football transfer situation .

IMG was a part of the discussion , but they are pretty much separate , because of the nature of their program, but there were some juicy nuggets included .

Of course the major states where this is happening at increasing rates is Texas , California and Florida, with examples of kids shifting schools in large numbers influencing who wins titles. States trying to try to change some rules to curb it but not al on the same page .

Ohio pales in comparison to these other football hotbeds , much smaller scale here overall . A Georgia State champ last year , had FIVE of the top 50 rated players in Georgia " JOIN" their team, all as SENIORS, so Five Seniors got together all in the name of trying to get a state championship together joining the same school ? Kind of a muted joy for that community I would guess . yes Yes, if you build it they will come balh blah. lol

18 of the top 50 players in the country from the 24-7 high school rankings were transfer students with another handful of them on their THIRD school . So a bit over a third of the best players in the country have transferred at least once ? WOW .

Most went form one power to another, one went from A California POWER to Vegas juggernaut Bishop Gorman , and now is at IMG .

All OBVIOULSY HAD MULTIPEL OFFERS, so they weren't transferring for more publicity or for a better chance of a scholly.

Yes Coffman has had transfers at different times, not in large numbers but QB'S wanting a more QB friendly system and some position players as well not all 100 percent football related s is the case with other schools as well ,better comp may be , as has had many other programs within the outerbelt, some including kids who have come to Coffman lft their schools for better academic and community opportunity's stability etc. AND Football programs were a good fit. Some pure football reasons , either not getting along with the coach and or the system or a chance for more or earlier playing time .

But in terms of sheer influence of transfers and numbers Ohio is way down the list . Of course there will ALWAYS be kids seeking greener pastures or overzealous parents who encourage and facilitate moving their kids around multiple times in search of more attention and publicity . Ring chasing at the HS level to me is terribly misguided and even foolish .

To me the reasons to stay within one community for yoru high school career as a student athlete are these.

Stability is important , continuity is important in kids educational and athletic activities . Being part of an authentic community , becoming rooted in it, getting to make and cultivate friendships and relationships within that community will pay dividends down the road .

Getting more immersed in the school community the faculty , learning and becoming familiar with the expectations, the system, , if you are at a good academic school , having a sense of that history and being proud of it.

You are more likely to become a better leader or have a better chance to be a leader when you stay with your program and school , not just a mercenary to another school or two ?

Moving around when you have offers to me is often misguided and highly unnecessary isn't it ? If you are in a good program where most of the aforementioned kids in this article were , had success , were positive members of the community and may be even leaders, is moving to a team or program that is a bit better in search of a state title, really that beneficial or even a little necessary if not counterproductive ?

I am not talking about kids who want larger schools or who are in adverse situations trying to better their situations , but rather they incessant moving around like talented athletic gypsies joining forces with others like that school in Georgia with the FIVE Seniors , just to win a title at the HS level ?
Old 08-17-17, 08:50 PM
All American

sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
The ring shoppers are rare exceptions, as are the high school hoppers.

Most non-affluent parents with an athletically gifted child who move early to better position their kids for scholarships are looking for a school located at the confusing three way intersection of affordable community, successful program, and metropolitan media attention. Kind of like the intersection of Milnor Rd, Center St, and Meadows Blvd. Actually the school is just a little south just up the hill past Victory Park on the right.

Pick Central has four of the top 100 recruits in the state for 2018. They will likely continue this pattern, especially as they challenge themselves against teams like Elder, Indy Cathedral, and Cass Tech. These are nationally known opponents. Among the older generations, the community isn't particularly welcoming to lower income African Americans who now dominate the football and basketball rosters, but the younger families have (largely) accepted it and (sometimes grumpily) moved their kids into cross country, baseball, soccer, lacrosse, cheerleading, or whatever. And bands always been huge here for the nerds.

I don't much about Wayne, but I'm guessing they've got about the same advantages.

The MAC folks give a nice speech about peace, love, and community, and, if you visit there, it's genuine. Dublin is a great town, but let's be honest... It's too white and too rich to draw kids from other parts of the city when other more affordable options are readily available. You'll never get the gypsies. They'd never be welcome, and they know it. Be happy that you've got a great coach who has built a successful program from the rich, genetically lucky kids of former Buckeyes, LOL.
Old 08-17-17, 09:02 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapientia et veritas View Post
Dublin is a great town, but let's be honest... It's too white and too rich to draw kids from other parts of the city when other more affordable options are readily available. You'll never get the gypsies. They'd never be welcome, and they know it. Be happy that you've got a great coach who has built a successful program from the rich, genetically lucky kids of former Buckeyes, LOL.
The Coffman University apartments have some of the most affordable rents around.

[don't blow an O ring Stivie, it's a joke... Kind of]
Old 08-17-17, 09:41 PM
All World

Definitely affordable apartments to be found in every city around the outerbelt . PC kids and their parents have long found PO boxes and or efficiencies to use . PN IS CATCHING UP , GETTING UP TO SPEED so to speak.

UA - really picking up the pace actually , tough to find affordable rentals there I must say , but somehow they are doing the job . What 10 transfers in the last 3 years most impact players?

Hmm I must say , OSU athletes some of who played at the pro level who are financially successful wanting to have their kids go to school in Dublin and play sports in good programs is very fishy , very head scratching, especially if they are Dads and Mom's who want better for their kids and who may be went to less competitive academic schools , SHOCKER ALERT
Old 08-18-17, 03:54 AM
All World

I think the gypsies not being " Welcome" in Dublin or other like places is bullcrap, they go where THEY would feel more comfortable, not because they " KNOW" they wouldn't be welcome, , But that's your view of things, as if IT'S 1999 . Things and demo's have certainly changed around here and the country in the last 15-20 years including Dublin
Old 08-18-17, 06:06 AM
All World

Scrimmage was OK 17-17 one half of football , Coffman controlled the action early going up 14-0 with the run game working well with Cam Scott really taking a big step, Senior has waited his turn ran with quickness and power , weather delayed the action so I came a few minutes into the game and saw Drennan with a foot injury on the trainers table so he basically didn't play which hurt them when a few drives stalled , need him as their best playmaker in the scoring area.

Defense gave up almost nothing on the ground which looks like the strength right now,, young and or inexperienced secondary gave up one long TD pass , coverage wasn't bad QB dropped the rainbow throw about 45 yards in the air right into the basket for a long TD Rocks were playing a lot of kids in the secondary trying to find the starters { At one point a Frosh and Soph at corner played well actually} kid who got beat isn't projected as starter . , other TD was a result of a blown coverage in the middle of the field { poor angle} a 10 yard pass that went for about 40 yards. TD was a 12 yard pass that hit Coffman defender right in the hands , unfortunately that was a bad place he tipped it up right into the hands of a waiting receiver in the end zone on third and distance , would have held to a FG if eh executed, good coverage.

FG was a short field shanked punt { 12 yards net?} situation . WC couldn't run the ball but has some nice talent out wide and in the slot and Coffman is a work in progress with a totally new secondary.

Coffman ran the ball well overall and was a bit better up front than WC. Passing game was MEH though , QB'S are athletic, will pick up yards on the ground more than usual. James Walsh like ability where the QB being a threat to pick up big chunks and key first downs when teams drop an extra guy or two in coverage.

Punter had a couple nice kicks in the DeSales scrimmage and yesterday, but that shank cost them 3 points a the end of the half . WC was more competitive like I thought and played with some emotion after they got down 14-0 and were being handled a bit .

Second half was two's and three's , WC kicked a long FG, Coffman 2's and 3's had a long drive that stalled deep { Time ran out in the 3rd quarter took a time out with 2 seconds left on first down and they started over back up field to start the 4th , weird occurrence and parameter , likely would have scored if normal format .

WC will be a tough opponent, some nice skill and speed , a really tough kid at safety who made numerous LOUD HITS , mobile QB'S ,run game needs some work though.

Hopefully Drennan can play this week didn't look too serious , taped his ankle and he was ginger on it , but they need his contribution certainly
Old 08-19-17, 05:26 PM
All World

Pre-season is over. Mixed bag for the Rocks , but as I always say , overreacting to pre-season scrimmages is foolish , I am not one who thinks they mean NOTHING , but I also don't think they mean EVERYTHING in terms of projecting a teams ultimate potential .

If well coached, , and players who apply themselves to the process of improvement and learning the system , vast improvements can and often do take place over the next month or so and then another jump in the month after that.

Getting beaten up in a scrimmage can often be a result of a nice mixture of some green kids who don't know what the coaches want from them yet or know the scheme, going against kids who have 1 full season or even two in their system .

Talent differentials also account for larger scrimmage margins but in many cases as I have seen over the years, if you took scrimmage results as the ultimate evidence of what you may think happen in a particular match-up, I want to take your bets on a full time basis.

Kids sitting out, coaches going close to full bore and some coaches not really doing much scheme wise , or a program that needs to win even in the scrimmage season to improve the morale vs a program that is more business and doesn't care aa much about " WINNING" the scrimmage skews perceptions from reality.

Coffman has a nice stable of Running backs including one who can paly anywhere on the field on offense and make an Impact{ Drennan} two QB'S who I think can do the job and are athletic { Need to make a decision as one candidate can be very good in the slot} but need more reps in the passing game .

A nice group of LB'S with different combo's of speed saavy and toughness , a few pure football players who the coaches are determining how to use best . It's more of a puzzle this year in terms of personnel . This is where the coaches really have to work at pushing and teaching kids to may be play in a spot they aren't real comfortable playing .

It takes time , attention to detail and the players buying into the process. Week one is a long trip , no problem motivating this team after what happened in week one last year, a game played over two days that they controlled for much of , but faltered down the stretch and didn't get the job done . Perrysburg doesn't have the individual talent of Springfield , but has tradition is well coached and is a program.

They are two years removed from a final four appearance in D-2, yes a D-2 school , the second largest D-2 school . They will test the Coffman defense and will throw the ball early often and A LOT . I think the amount of passes thrown will be in part their scheme in part their very talented young Soph QB Drew Sims , but also in part because the Coffman defense will be hard for them to run on .

Could be a very young Rocks secondary , they are talented and I think they can stay with the receivers but Perrysburg runs a true spread and it will be challenging . Two hour plus drive , and as always the expected from most good programs an excited larger crowd on opening night , going against an opponent that is respected and known .

Some scrimmage results did surprise me . Bradley up 28-0 after a half vs DeSales was a head scratcher, I know DeSales has held some kids out , but that was strange , no disrespect to Bradley who I think can win their first play-off game this season depending on the draw.

Olentangy Liberty up 28-0 on Scioto wasn't shocking as I know Scioto has a rebuild look in some areas this season, they do have some nice speed and some nice talented athletes who may not get optimum space to operate early on anyway.

UA I full expected to get beaten by Wayne, but 33-0 at the half ? I thought UA was going to be a bit better obviously and that Wayne would need a bit more time to hit stride, but may be this is the type of separation that this program has gotten on solid good programs, like a good tou9gh fighter going against a great one , it can get ugly if the momentum and tings break right .

UA will have a good season, thin Wayne wasn't happy with their previous performances and really was clicking and motivated may be ? I was thinking may be 17 point margin perhaps but 30 + ? OUCH .

Good to see class act Jalen Gill back on the field and making plays as he did against PN in a scrimmage. Saw him at the Westy C- Coffman Scrimmage , kids from multiple programs there watching all were greeting him warmly,, kind of like a star, but the kid is laid back and respectful to all , probably the best player in Central Ohio and I was impressed by the way he carries himself without any hint of arrogance .

Had heard that about him but seeing him in person was impressive. Went over to see Drennan who he knows to see if he was OK , other Coffman kids slapped hands with him, kind of kid others respect and gravitate to . looking forward to seeing him at OSU.
Old 08-20-17, 07:21 PM
All Region

Middies89
Looking forward to seeing Drennen at OSU as well. Hopefully.
Old 08-23-17, 07:36 AM
All World

Perrysburg is a great town. One of my favorites in Ohio.

I'd recommend to many of the Coffman faithful to eschew the parking lot tailgate and explore the town a little bit.

High of 74. No rain. Should be in the 60's after the sunset. That's week 3 weather in week 1.

Should make for an enjoyable trip.
Old 08-23-17, 03:19 PM
All World

Perrysburg is a excellent high school and it's population is highly educated , a very nice suburb of Toledo .

The team appears to may be , be one year away from getting back to the level they were for 4-5 years before last season where they missed the play-offs for the first time in a while.

Only 11 Seniors on the roster , school has 1450 students the second largest D-2 school I believe.

Coffman has about double the number of Seniors on it's roster , a bit more experience, but P-Burg has a nice handful of kids who started last year some as Sophomores . QB is an athletic kid about 5-11 who is only a Soph and has a nice arm. They run the spread and throw the rock A LOT .

I expect to see the ball in the air early and often , as Coffman seems to be adept at controlling the run right now and P-Burg may have trouble establishing that .

Some positions even at this point aren't set in stone, as coaches are still trying to fit some kids in at different positions to shore up weaknesses .

It appears on paper that Coffman has a bit more speed and size in this match-up although Perrysburg may have more experience in their offensive line ? than Coffman has although not as big they seem to be a strength of the team , but they need to take care of business unlike last year's opener where they controlled the action for a majority of the game but didn't make some plays when they needed to and gave up a few play to Springfield who did make some plays .

Perrysburg is where the Brothers Harbaugh Jim and John were born and first lived as Father Jack was an assistant at Perrysburg just starting out.

MLB manager Jim Leyland is from Perrysburg as was NFL coach Jerry Glanville . Weather was even hot last year in week 5 game at Gahanna starting at 7.30 was 87 degrees , hotter Summer and warmer Sept into October last year ,

This week one game isn't going to be one where the kids will be as gassed at the half and depth may not be as much a factor overall as many early week's games are.

Any information from local P-Burg or their league followers is appreciated
Old 08-25-17, 05:52 PM
All World

Opening night a great night for all High school football fans

Friday Predictions

Upper Arlington 28 St Chazz 7

Hartley 28 TCC 27

Olentangy 27 Darby 13

Westy South Ibbies 24 Scioto 20

Davidson 16 GC 13

Coffman 27 Perrysburg 13

O Orange 31 Kilbourne 7

Springfield 27 Lancaster 16

Canal Winchester 24 Ye Olde Tommy W 10

Gahanna 24 Westy C 21 OVERTIME

Late September weather beautiful night good luck and good health to all
Old 08-25-17, 09:20 PM
Junior Varsity

Jacket1816 is on a distinguished road
Coffman 45-0 over Perrysburg. Jackets never truly in the game.
Old 08-26-17, 04:55 AM
All Region

AndrewAnto86 is on a distinguished road
The Coffman- Perrysburg game is on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV8...FLXTEgDxD0T5VA
Old 08-26-17, 06:23 AM
Junior Varsity

Jacket1816 is on a distinguished road
It was painful to watch. Expected Coffman to win but not by that much, and not to score at all...wow. Burg overmatched just about everywhere. Potentially the worst loss under Kregel's tenure. So much work to be done. Lack of size hurts big time. Could be a very long, long season.
Old 08-28-17, 01:29 PM
Varsity

Do you hear that???? No Scioto fan, Iluvfball, and any other talking smack for this week's game against Coffman. Do you think they know what is coming? A good old fashioned behind the woodshed whooped. Bill board material, sure. Won't matter. Maybe a long fluke play is possible. Doubt it. Would love to hear any match up in Scioto favor. Maybe punting only because I don't know what the rats have.

This is the last year of this match up for a while I bet. No sense in Scioto losing a game 2 every year. I'm sure there is another d2 available for that week.

Just a prediction for this week. 38-0 Rocks. You can't run on us. Maybe short passes until Penn gets run down. Stop the run, no way. Then 8 men in the box sell out against the run leaves QB down the side. 7 men up, short passes turn into long gains.

Hope for a good hard game and no injuries. Good luck in all seriousness. Because if this doesn't fire up any players or dad's, nothing will.
Old 08-28-17, 06:29 PM
All World

Thanks for the you tube link. I was also surprised a bit by the margin , but you had a PICK 6 , Partially blocked punt a couple short fields due to not making first downs and punter had a subpar night , but Rocks were just too big for them and Sturdivant is hard to handle with a little steam and some creases to slip through.

More impressive was the Rocks did this without Cam Scott who emerged as a real lead RB , Gavin played more defense in the pre-season , and of course Mike Drennan their top playmaker sat out as well nursing a sore ankle. Scott who ran very well in the last scrimmage was sat as a concussion precaution .

Ernst was good at QB , ran well including a nice spin move on the safety on his way to a long TD run . Fake on the second one was sublime, both his TD runs on 4th down.

A lot of work to do up front on offense as O-lineman are still very inexperienced, as none of them started last year , Holcomb played H-Back and was a beast , open green field turf seemed to follow him around most of the night. Nice to have a 6-3 253 pound athletic H-Back to get out on folks and open some space up. Like him at tackle better but I have to admit he was really effective on the wing.

LB'S are a real strength as we knew, DB'S have talent just need reps, Kirk the Freshman was pretty solid, Meadows looked good back at safety , Hamilton with a nice pick 6 was also present most of the night. Bagozzi , Cummings and Gill were all good up front, Sturdivant I am sure would have been really effective in this game on defense but was needed to carry the ball which he as always was effective .

QB 2 Ethan Brown was solid in his role On designed runs scoring a TD . Nice to see Sky Wayne get some carries and score himself . HATE THE 30 POINT RUNNING CLOCK , IT'S IDIOTIC, MAKE IT 40 and be done with it, it prevents kids from good programs from playing on Friday nights . it's ridiculous to change the rules as a result of a few outrageous running up of the score situations .

Scioto is young and had guys out , they are better with Penn at a skill position and not QB, but QB 1 hurt , They will paly hard and better than the Ibbies game , but I have to concur, the Rocks have a bit too much and will be fired up here, first home game as well .

Improvement needs to happen especially in the secondary and O-line due to lack of experience DAILY not weekly, as in each day working on your craft to raise the elvel of play , not just on Friday night. Olentangy is a really good team with many weapons game is only 3 weeks away.
Old 08-28-17, 09:11 PM
All District

Iluvftball is on a distinguished road
Thanks for calling me out Scrumper. I cant talk trash on this one. We are without Starting QB, returning leading receiver w/ 600 yard and 6 TDs from last season is playing QB. Starting RB/CB, satrting WR/CB (had 6 INTs last year), Starting DE and a Safety the will play alot is all out for this week as they were last week. Again we will start 3-4 Soph and a Junior(who will most likely go to JV week 3) who have never played on Fridays.

Taking nothing from Mr. Gill or the Ibbies but they could not get anything up the middle but once they found out that the edges were profitable they stuck to it. With small young CBs and Soph at Safety all we could do was watch 21 make a personal highlight reel. Senior class is only 16 kids so more Soph will play than usual. We are really leaning on our 5-6 skill guys to pull double duty to be competitive. Now saying we would of won but with all our starters its not 50-14, more like 27-21. Right now we are missing 80% of Offense and only have 1 DB with Friday experience playing. Like HarryC said Penn is better at Slot/DB. We will be ok. All 4-5(Skill starters) will be back week 3 for Thursday Night Lights. Never seen a situation where all your skill/DB guys are hurt at once.

Coffman will put 50 up easily. Im not even coming to the game to watch that massacre, already watched one last week. I will be at the O. Liberty game. Good luck to Coffman and Scioto
Old 08-29-17, 03:29 AM
All World

Tough situation , sometimes the injuries snowball , real tough to start the year that way . Coffman still wins with a healthy Scioto team but they have enough talent and some skill to make interesting for a time , with that load of injuries it's a mismatch .

Like to see more of the passing game this week , a few nice completions but may be pass first get some rhythm and then pound it, going to need the pass game eventually to prosper. Jump balls may work this week but why give the defense a 50 50 chance to intercept { One pick last week and nearly a second , only a great play by Bajec prevented it} never liked that play much at any level , unless it was 2007 and you had Jake Stoneburner that is
Old 08-30-17, 08:47 AM
Varsity

Iluvfball, I know QB is hurt, but are the others hurt? I heard that the others were disciplinary?? Either way, they won't be in game. Scioto will be going small and fast for the game against Coffman.

Could be a tough night for Scioto in the trenches. They will be facing a good douse of Gavin and Cam.
There looks like on paper that size will go Coffman way. Speed will be similar.

Scioto will need the ball to bounce their way all night to be compititive.

Definitely will be a spirited night of football. This is the last time a lot of these kids will be playing each other. Statements to be made. And individual bragging rights for a while.

Good luck to all.
Old 08-30-17, 05:20 PM
All World

Scioto has some athletes no question , last year's team did well getting back to the play-offs and beating up Massilon a bit from the vastly superior and more competent Northeast Ohio as I have been told. LOL .

Anyway , they are smaller in size and numbers as they are D-2 . Coffman is 4-1 last 5 in the series , in a series that hasn't seen much drama , in each game you pretty much knew who was in charge after about a half of football . Teams have been more evenly matched than some of the scores have indicated .

Last year was a case of Coffman really mad off the Springfield loss a game they thought they really let slip away after being in a bit of control for much of the game . Desperate team with a few match-up advantages going up against a team that won in week one turned at the end of the first half . Didn't get better in the second half as the Rocks finished the game after being reminded they screwed up in the second half of the first game of the year.

Coffman has a size advantage here, no one doubts it and like last week they should be able to give the running backs some creases and holes to work with .

They also should be able to stop the run very well like they did in week one , making the Irish one dimensional .

Rocks for various reasons will be fired up and ready to go , I don't think the game will be in question mid third quarter .

Scott and Drennan hopefully can go for a while this week , and the O-line has improved in practice and the DB'S get more reps and confidence as well .

it looks like a very good week in terms of match-ups this week in CO , my predictions were not really great last week, week one is always hardest had winner sbut score margins were off in a few cases for sure, some closer than others. Will have some of the same this week and probably be more accurate.
Old 08-30-17, 07:27 PM
All World

Coffman will roll, will probably be like 2015.

A night of short fields will probably be the only thing to keep Sturdivant from going over 200 and being POTW like Gill was last week. Scioto is very small on the D line. They normally are, but Schuetz and Zimmerman covered the weaknesses last year like the Sawickis did for years before that. Lots of guys who would be back-up linebackers for any other OCC school are starting on the front four. They won't be able to stop the run or pressure the passer without blitzing and this will leave them vulnerable to the big play. Things won't be better on the other side of the ball as the O line lost almost everyone from last year. The playmakers won't get a chance to make a difference.

Probably time to take a hiatus on this series. I know Gecewich would like to get a Jerome - Coffman series going. Now is probably the time to make this happen. Scioto and Coffman are just at different places right now, and will probably be so for the foreseeable future.
Old 08-30-17, 07:55 PM
All World

Exactly right LF , agree with all your good points . Scioto I root for except for Coffman week , despite my feelings which I still hold concerning the flap of the DeSales kid taking passing lessons from coach Thomas who is NOW helping institute the spread offense over at Watty.

Agree LF , Jerome series should probably commence soon
Old 08-31-17, 02:21 PM
All World

Week two is here, some interesting games to be sure , my predictions were Ok in terms of picking the winner, but scores were not as accurate this week should be better .

Week two

We'll start with Coffman Scioto seeing as though this is a Coffman thread .

Scioto at Coffman - Always wish the Irish well when not playing Coffman, it was a good year in Dublin football last year, although some posters scoff at any program or programs WHO haven't won a state title or who aren't one of the Catholic superpowers or Public destination schools , As if High school football is all about wining a state title, if you don't you didn't get anything out of it . Ridiculous but some think this way .

All three programs made the play-offs and won a play-off game , that's pretty good stuff , Olentangy had all three make it as well , one knocked the other out and Liberty won 3 games giving ST Ed's a decent go.

Coffman is bigger and stronger than Scioto , they have as many weapons and probably get the two skill kids they didn't have last week back Scioto isn't quite as fortunate , they will get better and win some games in league paly but this week is sledding uphill Rocks have too much Coffman 38 Scioto 7

Gahanna at Westy South Ibbies - The franchise was back in good form for the Ibbies last week and he will be a handful for anyone they face . Gill is the best player in CO period . But he isn't enough in this one as Gahanna has too many horses on offense for WS to contend with , Scioto Irish gained some yards with a depleted skill position base , Gahanna has more this week and will score more Gahanna 37 Ibbies 20

Davidson at Darby - Darby NEVER plays as sloppy as they did in week one at Olentangy who is really good this year on offense and took advantage of the shorter fields scoring TD'S , Davidson isn't as good on offense as Tangy , Darby will play cleaner and in their first game with a new rug , they take care of business as the more desperate team and get the job done in a 47 minute game . GC gained about 93 yards of offense last week , look for Darby to get about 2 hundy Davidson had 245 with no running clock Darby will hold the under that may be 100 under that and that should be enough Darby 14 Davidson 7

Bradley at New Albany - NA got the win over R-Burg but that was more a case of R-Burg losing it to me NA didn't move the rock at all in the second half really , R-Burg at one point had 8 penalties to zero for NA who was clearly more well coached the staff does a good job over there . BUT they don't match up well here, Bradley 31 NA 13

Wayne at Liberty - truth be told I wish Coffman was playing Wayne this year, the schedule was finalized before the regions were set, and I agreed with not playing Wayne if both were in R-3 as Coffman seems to draw them every year in the play-offs . BUT with the Rocks now in R-2 I would have liked to see them play them . it's OK props to R-2 Liberty for scheduling them , game is more interesting to most because Wayne showed vulnerability for the first time in a while , a lot of younger kids got beaten by a Senior laden talented team with a great HS QB. hangover ? Ego Bruise? I still think this early O-Liberty has some new O lineman to break in and Wayne has some big run stuffers and a D-1 Pass rusher coming off the edge , and enough skill to go to Powell and get the much needed win Rooting for Liberty but Wayne 27 Liberty 19

Orange at Watty - Kind of interesting , Watty may be a bit better than we thought and they have a lot of Seniors , orange has a bit too much especially on defense
ORANGE 24 Watty 10

Pick North at Jerome - PN is loaded on offense, they have some transfers who make them even better , it is a destination school on the East side, Pick Cash is a respected academic school , nice facilities , newer building , they should continue to be a strong program and if they continue to get kids to transfer in at a regular rate regional level teams can be the newer normal over there. Jerome coach is a gem , really smart, young energetic, GREAT HIRE , Really is building a program on the edge of Union County.
In this match-up though the Celts at a bit overmatched , lost some good ball players to graduation last year, rebuilding year, will win some games no question , but not this one PN 31 Country Clubbers 13

DeSales at Lancaster - Springfield put people on notice last week with a very impressive win on the road , Lancaster was overmatched speed wise and will be again here , Stallions grind out a nice win SFD 31 Gaels 14

Great news from Worthington and West North, Both WON , Ye Olde Tommy broke a nice sized losing streak by wining a double OT decision from Canal Winchester , and Westy North crushed The Grovers from Madison on their new Bell surface .

it was free Porridge all week for the folks at the local confectionery on High street and the Mutton special was half off all week at the Loaded Musket tavern and the boys got a hero's welcome after getting back from their epic victory at Canal , the sound of cow bells echoed through the night .

YOTW may be winng some games again, as the last two groups to go through MS WERE A COMBINED 30-2 IN 7TH AND 8TH GRADE , nice, good to see some of the better folks around the outerbelt reside there great people ,they are good at other sports and it's a solid school and community but football success has eluded them for quite a while , this will change in the near future, not saying play-offs or anything but improvement has happened and will continue

YOTW at Westy North - Boys will give it a go , but will come up short at North who has some decent material this year, , WN 34 YOTW 14
Old 08-31-17, 06:02 PM
All World

^^ I concur with all of the picks above, with 2 exceptions:

I like Davidson over Darby, maybe 17-13. Their backs aren't big, but they had a bit more size on the O-line than I thought they would so I think they will move the ball and also win the turnover battle, and that will be the difference. I generally like Darby whenever discipline and toughness is a differentiator, it's not in this one though.

I think Bradley and New Albany will be a lot closer. I'd make Bradley the favorite also, but much closer. Talent wise, Bradley is 18 points better. Coaching, however, is a big plus in New Albany's column. I think Samanich is 14 points better than Loparo, so I'll say Bradley by 4.

Props for putting yourself out there with picks and scores.

P.S. Good news of the YOTW pipeline. Hope they can keep them in the program. Worthingway had some decent classes along the way but it never translated . Hopefully they can turn things around.