Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-04-18, 01:02 AM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Rescuing Thai Boys Soccer Team From Complex Cave System

Quote:
When volunteer British divers managed the remarkable late Monday night, finding 12 Thai boys and their soccer coach stranded on a ledge more than a mile into a complex cave system, they were greeted with a chorus of thank yous ó and one very difficult question. It came from the mouth of a lanky boy who had just spent nine days with his teammates stranded in darkness a half-mile below ground.

"When can we leave?"

Simple as that question may be, the difficulty of its answer came into stark relief as the sun set Tuesday over Chiang Rai, home of the labyrinthine passages of Tham Luang Nang Non cave. The boys and their 25-year-old coach face two main options for survival: either learn to dive their way out of the cave, or wait until the waters that flooded it finally begin to recede.
Read more:
https://www.npr.org/2018/07/03/62563...ex-cave-system
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-18, 06:07 AM
All World

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
I'm surprised this isn't a bigger story. Barely mentioned in the media I've seen. These boys could be down there for several months as it stands now.
Old 07-04-18, 07:29 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Itís been all over the media since they were found.
Old 07-04-18, 08:05 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
...and some parents b!+ch that their kid doesn't get enough playing time...
Old 07-04-18, 08:45 AM
All World

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Itís been all over the media since they were found.
Ok guessed I missed it. I haven't been watching much TV this last week other than a little Netflix and World Cup and never watch the Big 3 networks anymore. It will be interesting to follow going forward.
Old 07-04-18, 11:04 AM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin20 View Post
Ok guessed I missed it. I haven't been watching much TV this last week other than a little Netflix and World Cup and never watch the Big 3 networks anymore. It will be interesting to follow going forward.
^ I'm with you regarding the three dinosaur networks. I guess we actually miss some real news along with the b.s. news. So be it.

My local news has carried the story all along. As this is the monsoon season there, they will be lucky to get out anytime soon.
Old 07-04-18, 02:46 PM
All American

Username1 is on a distinguished road
Pretty sure they will get them out with ease. A few divers bring extra gear and they help them dive out. A few trips and it's done. At least that's how I imagine it would go. Hope they get out safe!
Old 07-04-18, 03:06 PM
All World

tom 48 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
Pretty sure they will get them out with ease. A few divers bring extra gear and they help them dive out. A few trips and it's done. At least that's how I imagine it would go. Hope they get out safe!
Not easy at all:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/03/asia/...ntl/index.html
Old 07-04-18, 03:11 PM
All American

If you could post a link from a real knowledgeable site, that would be great.
Old 07-04-18, 03:44 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Tedís a moron. Lol.
Old 07-04-18, 03:58 PM
All American

$1.00 says they get them out exactly like I said in less than 3 days from now.
Old 07-04-18, 08:37 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
I heard on the news they may indeed try in the next day or two. They are pumping water out at what looked like a high rate.

Two weeks of rain coming up. Maybe they figure now is the best time to get them out. Hope so.
Old 07-04-18, 08:38 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
$1.00 says they get them out exactly like I said in less than 3 days from now.
They may have to try it with the forecast of heavy rains and potentially more flooding. They are currently teaching the boys how to swim and scuba basics.
Old 07-04-18, 10:07 PM
All American

How did they get in?
Old 07-05-18, 08:34 AM
All American

bob22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
How did they get in?
teleportation

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-18, 09:10 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
My guess is they scuba out of the caves but it is not as easy as you think. It's not wide open seas we are talking about but narrow cavern passages with jagged rocks and other obstacles that make compressed air navigation difficult. Also this is Thailand so its not like there are a plethora of certified divers that can drop everything and chopper into this area to give instruction and guide the kids out. They will eventually figure it out but the logistics of this thing is not ideal.
Old 07-05-18, 10:08 AM
All Yappi

winbypin will become famous soon enough
Auggie is correct. I've seen grown adults freak out in a swimming pool the first time they put a mask on, a regulator in their mouth, and basically sit in the shallow end with their face in the water. It's an unnatural feeling to breath underwater. These are kids some of which don't know how to swim so probably aren't real comfortable in the water to begin with.

There are full face masks available that would help I believe. I've never used one but I would think they would help with the comfort level of breathing underwater. I think they can even have communications capabilities (radio) which would also help the kids so their dive buddy can talk to them the whole time. That would also help the kids if they could talk to someone the whole time because they won't be able to see too much.

Part of the problem based on what I read someplace is some of the areas they will have to go through is very tight and only one person can go through at a time. If that is the case, the kids would have to be essentially alone as they traverse those sections. Even if an experienced diver is just ahead or behind you, you would be alone from their perspective. I would think dropping lines that they could hang on to or hook up to would help here.

These kids, on their first dives, would be required to cave dive and essentially night dive because of limited to no visibility. Those are both tough for experienced divers.

All that being said, I think they will get them out safely. It just won't be easy.
Old 07-05-18, 11:02 AM
All Yappi

I agree with Auggie and winbypin that Ted’s comment about the getting the kids out “with ease” was incredibly moronic. Good posts!
Old 07-05-18, 11:11 AM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Agree with everyone here that Ted's a moron.
Old 07-05-18, 11:15 AM
All American

Lol. But some how I am right.
Old 07-05-18, 12:15 PM
All Yappi

Saw earlier today that they might be able to pump enough water out that they wouldn't have dive at all. Walk out with some areas up to their shoulders maybe. But with rain forecasted its a very tight window for that to happen.

Also saw that if they did have to dive, they would be under water for several hours. I think like 7 or 8 hours. So then you're looking at additional tanks for the journey.
Old 07-05-18, 12:28 PM
All Yappi

Yeah, I read where they think it may take 5 divers per kid to get them out if they have to scuba. Of course all this information underscores one undeniable fact: Ted is a world class moron.
Old 07-05-18, 12:42 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
I'm puzzling over the depth/pressure. If it's as far underground as they are saying, how is the pressure suitable for scuba gear? 120ft gives 15 minutes max without a decompression stop. There has to be an airhole to the surface or the water would have compressed the air.

Anyone found a good graphic, describing the situation?

I'm thinking, go to Walmart, get some of those flexible play-tubes, glue them, inflate them and crawl out.
Old 07-05-18, 12:47 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough

Old 07-05-18, 12:54 PM
All Yappi

OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
My family started talking about this as we were all sitting around during the 4th of July. My dad was shocked I hadn't heard about it up to that point. I reminded him I almost never watch the local news.

I'm surprised I didn't see this somewhere online before this. I follow a decent amount of traditional news networks on Twitter and this is an interesting story I'd expect non-news types to be discussing.
Old 07-05-18, 01:28 PM
All Yappi

Agree with obcfd that he is just as clueless and probably more moronic than Ted. Good point.
Old 07-05-18, 01:41 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
I'm puzzling over the depth/pressure. If it's as far underground as they are saying, how is the pressure suitable for scuba gear? 120ft gives 15 minutes max without a decompression stop. There has to be an airhole to the surface or the water would have compressed the air.

Anyone found a good graphic, describing the situation?

I'm thinking, go to Walmart, get some of those flexible play-tubes, glue them, inflate them and crawl out.
According to the graphic they are about 1/2 mile underground. Not sure of the elevation of the area to begin with but I don't think being underground is the same as being 120' underwater. Even though they would be underwater in as much as 16' deep I don't think the added ground above them is the same as having 100' of water above them. In other words, if you walk 500' underground in a cave isn't the same as diving 500' underwater (which you couldn't do).
Old 07-05-18, 03:13 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBobcatFan06 View Post
My family started talking about this as we were all sitting around during the 4th of July. My dad was shocked I hadn't heard about it up to that point. I reminded him I almost never watch the local news.

I'm surprised I didn't see this somewhere online before this. I follow a decent amount of traditional news networks on Twitter and this is an interesting story I'd expect non-news types to be discussing.
Ummmm, this was in Thailand, not local.
Old 07-05-18, 05:06 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Yeah, I read where they think it may take 5 divers per kid to get them out if they have to scuba. Of course all this information underscores one undeniable fact: Ted is a world class moron.
Link?
Old 07-05-18, 05:16 PM
All Yappi

http://yappi.com/forums/showpost.php...59&postcount=7

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: