Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-07-18, 08:42 AM
All Ohio

E-Town is on a distinguished road
DV Genoa vs. Elyria Catholic at Bellevue HS

This one was supposed to be Genoa vs Anna. Does EC have enough to pull off what would be another huge upset?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-18, 08:52 AM
All World

bigkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Town View Post
This one was supposed to be Genoa vs Anna. Does EC have enough to pull off what would be another huge upset?
I saw that EC really shut down anna's running game, which is very good. But Anna passed for more yards , around 270 then they have all year. What is the scouting report on Genoa?
Old 11-07-18, 10:20 AM
Freshman

Buckeye91 is on a distinguished road
Genoa is pretty balanced this year. They still like to run the ball put can pass if they need to. I think reason they have "opened" up the offense a little more this year is because of QB ability.
Old 11-07-18, 10:25 AM
All American

tonka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye91 View Post
Genoa is pretty balanced this year. They still like to run the ball put can pass if they need to. I think reason they have "opened" up the offense a little more this year is because of QB ability.
Yes. Exactly. They will run the ball the majority of the time but the QB is really athletic and has a good arm. They can throw the ball down field and will even spread it out. It will be a tough matchup for EC.
Old 11-07-18, 11:02 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
EC beat the MAC champions so until they get beat they should be considered the favorite in DV.
Old 11-07-18, 11:08 AM
All District

Cardboard Palace is on a distinguished road
Genoa QB is a Lake Erie basketball commit. Had he continued to play baseball the sky was the limit for him in that sport.

LB/TE is an athletic freak at 6'5" 220. Has multiple D1 football offers, but is a very good basketball player as well.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/5441083...7a43390cfdefd3

RB is a bowling ball 6' 250. Very strong and tough to bring down. It is fun to watch him run the ball.

Last edited by Cardboard Palace; 11-07-18 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-07-18, 11:36 AM
Freshman

RangerSS2 is on a distinguished road
EC is quite good at stopping the run. They run hot and cold on the pass but on a field with good footing they are very capable of making it tough to pass on them, too. Anna was a very talented team with good athletes all over the field. If EC's QB Engrish is on early they are a very tough team offensively that can score in a hurry in multiple ways.
Old 11-07-18, 12:47 PM
Varsity

ohsnonline is on a distinguished road
#1 key is to stop Navotney their RB. I believe if you can do that, you have a really good shot. They are a perennial playoff team with lots of playoff experience over the years, but definitely not unbeatable.
Old 11-07-18, 02:23 PM
All American

Banjoff had over 250 yards rushing against Anna. He is going to Nebraska for baseball.
Old 11-07-18, 03:23 PM
All World

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonka View Post
Banjoff had over 250 yards rushing against Anna. He is going to Nebraska for baseball.
Listening to the Anna - EC game on the radio was impressed with EC's variation's on offense whether it was Banjoff in the power package or Engrish throwing the ball, however Anna's liability all season was their defense.
Old 11-07-18, 03:27 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
Listening to the Anna - EC game on the radio was impressed with EC's variation's on offense whether it was Banjoff in the power package or Engrish throwing the ball, however Anna's liability all season was their defense.
Yep. Unfortunately for Anna this is two years in a row that they went on the road in week 11 and had to play in the mud. The defense let them down in the final minute in both games.
Old 11-07-18, 04:09 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yep. Unfortunately for Anna this is two years in a row that they went on the road in week 11 and had to play in the mud. The defense let them down in the final minute in both games.
Don't make excuses for Anna.
They beat CW playing on a crappy field.

Fact of the matter is they let the league down.

Again.

With that said, as I stated before. E.C. has to be the favorite in DV.
Old 11-08-18, 12:07 PM
Varsity

split_finger is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Please explain why an EC win would be a huge upset?
Old 11-08-18, 12:27 PM
All World

Maple_City_Fan is on a distinguished road
Probably due to MAC champs accustomed to making title runs, but Anna's history in postseason indicates it's not much of upset. Also, BAF much different setup for old-time Panther fans since you played Bellevue there in 82. I don't recall EC has been there, since
Old 11-08-18, 12:32 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple_City_Fan View Post
Probably due to MAC champs accustomed to making title runs, but Anna's history in postseason indicates it's not much of upset. Also, BAF much different setup for old-time Panther fans since you played Bellevue there in 82. I don't recall EC has been there, since
No, I don't think they have...and the last time EC played Bellevue was in the 87 playoffs at Berea.
Old 11-08-18, 12:50 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by split_finger View Post
Please explain why an EC win would be a huge upset?
I'm just going off the fact that EC knocked off Anna...the MAC co-champs, and according to MAC fans (they apparently root for a conference and not individual teams) anytime a MAC team loses to a non-MAC team in the playoffs, its supposedly a big deal.

Also, Genoa was ranked #1 in the AP for DV (I know that doesn't mean anything). Genoa finished highest in the region in computer points, and they are also a perennial playoff team and EC hasn't been there for quite some time.

I'm actually rooting for EC, but "on paper" Genoa would seem like the favorite.
Old 11-08-18, 12:57 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Don't make excuses for Anna.
They beat CW playing on a crappy field.

Fact of the matter is they let the league down.

Again.

With that said, as I stated before. E.C. has to be the favorite in DV.
EC is good but I would put Wheelersburg as the favorite. After all, they did win it all last year and return their QB and stud WR.
Old 11-08-18, 01:37 PM
Varsity

split_finger is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm just going off the fact that EC knocked off Anna...the MAC co-champs, and according to MAC fans (they apparently root for a conference and not individual teams) anytime a MAC team loses to a non-MAC team in the playoffs, its supposedly a big deal.

Also, Genoa was ranked #1 in the AP for DV (I know that doesn't mean anything). Genoa finished highest in the region in computer points, and they are also a perennial playoff team and EC hasn't been there for quite some time.

I'm actually rooting for EC, but "on paper" Genoa would seem like the favorite.
Oh please... Quit trying to confuse the success Genoa had when Vicars and Speiss were both there. Genoa's current coach won his first playoff game at Genoa a week ago. The other times they made the playoffs they were barely competitive.

Elyria Cath will have no trouble scoring and defending Genoa's offense.
Old 11-08-18, 02:50 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Oh please... Quit trying to confuse the success Genoa had when Vicars and Speiss were both there. Genoa's current coach won his first playoff game at Genoa a week ago. The other times they made the playoffs they were barely competitive.

I'm really not trying to confuse anything or anyone...I know very little about Genoa except for what I wrote above. It sounds like you have more info on the team...when was the current coach hired?
Old 11-08-18, 03:40 PM
All District

Cardboard Palace is on a distinguished road
I don't know anything about EC, but Genoa is very good.

Last year they had league rival Eastwood (eventual state runner up) down big entering the 4th quarter. They ended up losing by 7, but were missing maybe their best player QB/DB due to injury.

I'm not ready to say they are Eastwood (2017) good, but they are very close.
Old 11-08-18, 05:51 PM
Junior Varsity

Del Griffith is on a distinguished road
Genoa's very good, QB is what makes them tick offensively

However, their defense is real real solid and good with two huge athletic def ends, fast def backs and adequate LB's
Old 11-09-18, 09:03 AM
All Ohio

Looks like it will be a cold one...but no rain/snow or wind. I'm thinking EC will need it's passing game to keep this one close.
Old 11-09-18, 09:43 AM
Junior Varsity

Football034 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

If EC is Div V favorite wow... Saw them a couple of weeks ago.. good team but not state quality... Havent seen Genoa this year but there teams have always been strong I would bet Genoa
Old 11-09-18, 10:28 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football034 View Post
If EC is Div V favorite wow... Saw them a couple of weeks ago.. good team but not state quality... Havent seen Genoa this year but there teams have always been strong I would bet Genoa
They aren't. The best two teams in the state are in Region 20. CHCA is pretty good too.
Old 11-09-18, 10:59 AM
All Ohio

cchs1983 is an unknown quantity at this point
Let's go Comets
Old 11-09-18, 11:24 AM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
They aren't. The best two teams in the state are in Region 20. CHCA is pretty good too.
I assume you mean Wheelersburg? The same Wheelersburg that lost by 29 to Hartley, who then lost to Clinton Massie, who lost to Coldwater, who lost to Anna, who just lost last week to Elyria Catholic?

Asking for a friend
Old 11-09-18, 11:26 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
I assume you mean Wheelersburg? The same Wheelersburg that lost by 29 to Hartley, who then lost to Clinton Massie, who lost to Coldwater, who lost to Anna, who just lost last week to Elyria Catholic?

Asking for a friend
Yep. Wheelersburg and Madison. The same Wheelersburg team that won state last year and the Madison team that has given up 3 TDs all season.
Old 11-09-18, 11:45 AM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yep. Wheelersburg and Madison. The same Wheelersburg team that won state last year and the Madison team that has given up 3 TDs all season.
Ah....always love the "last year" argument. Wheelersburg is good, but you can't guarantee anything...especially when you get to this point in the year. I'm not saying neither of those two can win it, that's why they play the games.....but you also have to consider the best record Madison played all season was 6-4. They have the #57 SOS in D5
Old 11-09-18, 01:27 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
Ah....always love the "last year" argument. Wheelersburg is good, but you can't guarantee anything...especially when you get to this point in the year. I'm not saying neither of those two can win it, that's why they play the games.....but you also have to consider the best record Madison played all season was 6-4. They have the #57 SOS in D5
I understand not using last year's argument but when their stud QB and stud WR are back, I dont think it can be ignored.
Old 11-10-18, 09:16 AM
Freshman

Toussanger is on a distinguished road
Genoa wins this one rather easily.