Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-05-18, 12:09 PM
All Ohio

Redwing is on a distinguished road
Region 5 Semi-Final: Garfield Heights (11-0) vs Archbishop Hoban (11-0)

Never been to a game at Hudson, looking forward to some pregame festivities at the many fine establishments in town. What does Garfield bring to the table? I know their D has gained a great rep this year, but what is their bread and butter on offense? Can they push Hoban deep into the 2nd half?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-18, 08:30 PM
Freshman

batmanknight is on a distinguished road
It will be Garfield 1 Hoban 2323
Old 11-05-18, 08:58 PM
All Ohio

JimmyOhio75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Go to Luchita’s for dinner before the game. Awesome homemade salsa!
Hoban by 4 scores.
Old 11-05-18, 09:54 PM
All American

cvctrackfan is on a distinguished road
Otherwise you can’t go wrong with yours truly....try any of their burgers,,,,
Old 11-05-18, 09:57 PM
All Ohio

nupanther is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by batmanknight View Post
Thank you thank you thank you x 1000

I can hear the jingle in my head !!!
Old 11-05-18, 10:24 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvctrackfan View Post
Otherwise you can’t go wrong with yours truly....try any of their burgers,,,,
Luchita's, Rosewood, Flipside, 3 Palms, Kepner's... lots of great spots just down the road from the Stadium.
Old 11-06-18, 01:18 AM
All Ohio

OBIE-WON is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by batmanknight View Post
Old 11-06-18, 07:43 AM
All American

SECfb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBIE-WON View Post
Is that the score for recruits? Going to be tough to beat the Northeast Ohio AAU All Stars, going under the name of Akron Hoban.
Old 11-06-18, 09:03 AM
All Region

Bobby77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECfb View Post
Is that the score for recruits? Going to be tough to beat the Northeast Ohio AAU All Stars, going under the name of Akron Hoban.
Please enlighten us. How many players on Hoban’s team were “recruited” from an AAU football organization? What is the name of the AAU football organization? Can you give specifics as to how they were recruited from these AAU organizations?
Old 11-06-18, 09:13 AM
All American

Paladin1aa is on a distinguished road
Hoban is the pick. Score around 42- 7.
Old 11-06-18, 09:15 AM
All American

Lep2002 is on a distinguished road
Flipside has great burgers. If you can get a table then that would be my recommendation. 3Palms has good pizza. The Brew Kettle is a good place to visit before a game, but I don't have a terribly high opinion of their food. Be careful with places like One Red Door and Downtown 140. Those aren't necessarily places I would go to before a football game unless you are with your wife and you want to do something a little special. I would say the same thing about Rosewood.
Old 11-06-18, 09:24 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lep2002 View Post
Flipside has great burgers. If you can get a table then that would be my recommendation. 3Palms has good pizza. The Brew Kettle is a good place to visit before a game, but I don't have a terribly high opinion of their food. Be careful with places like One Red Door and Downtown 140. Those aren't necessarily places I would go to before a football game unless you are with your wife and you want to do something a little special. I would say the same thing about Rosewood.
Oak and Embers is good BBQ on route 91.
Old 11-06-18, 09:30 AM
All American

Lep2002 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby77 View Post
Oak and Embers is good BBQ on route 91.
I haven't been there. It is on Darrow, correct?

I liked the Peachtree but it closed now. They were a little pricey but I always liked the food I ordered there.
Old 11-06-18, 10:30 AM
All American

SECfb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Please enlighten us. How many players on Hoban’s team were “recruited” from an AAU football organization? What is the name of the AAU football organization? Can you give specifics as to how they were recruited from these AAU organizations?
Lighten up there son. Just having fun. But don't sit here, and deny they are not recruiting, and getting kids from other districts.
Old 11-06-18, 10:57 AM
All Region

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
The only question that should be asked for each of Hoban's remaining games is if there will be a running clock or not. And when
Old 11-06-18, 11:05 AM
All Region

Quote:
Lighten up there son. Just having fun. But don't sit here, and deny they are not recruiting, and getting kids from other districts.
I am just fine chief, every kid athlete or not comes from other districts. I am not sitting here pretending anything. Hoban has open houses, shadow days and they advertise on billboards. All legal. Of course they advertise to get kids. They would go under without the tuition dollars because they don’t get the tax money the free schools do. It is what it is and they did the same thing when they sucked at football too. Recruiting is not the reason they are good but nobody on here cares about that. Calling them cheaters is easier. We see this every year and it will never end.
Old 11-06-18, 11:07 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan23 View Post
The only question that should be asked for each of Hoban's remaining games is if there will be a running clock or not. And when
There are four very good teams in D2 and a couple of sleeper teams. There is no given from here on out.
Old 11-06-18, 11:11 AM
All Region

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
There are four very good teams in D2 and a couple of sleeper teams. There is no given from here on out.
We will see. Last year, no one came within 25 of them in the playoffs.
Old 11-06-18, 11:11 AM
All Ohio

brian
Quote:
At the risk of pushing this once-innocent thread towards the smelly trash pile to which all Hoban-related discussions eventually go.....

You are right, Hoban has recruited every single student that has enrolled at the school since 1953. No one denies that fact. Like all Akron parochial high schools, they have no designated district that you speak of or feeder school on which they are reliant.

Like with any school that must obtain its students in this manner, no one seems to care or raise a stink unless said school starts winning athletic state championships and/or regularly beating everyone else in the area. In the 80's and 90's Hoban's softball and volleyball teams were dominant, state championship level programs and therefore were regualrly accused of recruiting (i.e "stealing" the good athletes that "belonged" to other districts). Even though the football team (like the school itself) has always been made up of kids from all over at least three counties (in the 80's for instance and much like today, Hoban had football players from East Akron, West Akron, North Hill, Kent, Brimfield, Stow, Mogadore, Portage Lakes, Kenmore, Uniontown, Medina, Firestone Park, Green, Norton, Barberton, Ellet, Cuyahoga Falls, Tallmadge, etc.), but since the program was not winning titles nobody said anything.

Now, if you are saying Hoban is recruiting kids illegally/outside of the governing rules of the OHSAA, that is a diferent story and you should perhaps be specific in your claims and provide some sort of facts.
Old 11-06-18, 11:13 AM
#BleedBlack&Gold

BlackandGold is on a distinguished road
Running clock or not, it’s likely a once in a lifetime opportunity to compete against arguably the best football team In the state. A value can’t be placed on that experience. Especially for an up-and-coming football program.
Old 11-06-18, 11:37 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lep2002 View Post
I'm very familiar with the joints in Hudson, that's what I was glad to see the game scheduled there. Flipside will probably be the choice, we should be able to get there plenty early enough to grab seats at the bar. Rosewood is a fav of mine if there is space in the bar area, but it gets full early.
Old 11-06-18, 12:12 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Like with any school that must obtain its students in this manner, no one seems to care or raise a stink unless said school starts winning athletic state championships and/or regularly beating everyone else in the area.
Exactly this. And not to beat the dead horse like Bobby said, but Hoban has also become a place talented young student athletes, and their parents, want to come to. The coaching, the strength program and the network the coaches have developed with college athletic departments are all next level, and if a kid is willing to put in the work, they've developed a rep for getting the best out of them. Also, the last 6-7 years have been an unbelievable era for the Akron area when it comes to talented young athletes, and with the state of the city schools' athletic depts, especially football, motivated kids are looking to the private schools, and Hoban has benefitted. They also have a lot of Akron CYO kids in the senior class who start and/or play a lot of snaps for them, some of whom you would have never thought would be impactful varsity players when they were fresh & sophomores. What they do with these kids once they come to Hoban has made the program what it's become.
Old 11-06-18, 12:14 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackandGold View Post
Running clock or not, it’s likely a once in a lifetime opportunity to compete against arguably the best football team In the state. A value can’t be placed on that experience. Especially for an up-and-coming football program.
I thing Garfield's D is legit. Hoban may eventually wear them down, but I don't think it'll be a walk in the park to move the ball on them. That LB going to Minnesota is a stud.
Old 11-06-18, 03:50 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan23 View Post
We will see. Last year, no one came within 25 of them in the playoffs.
I am aware, I have been to every Hoban game since 2014. I know the program quite well and division 2 is much better this year than last year. No gimmies.
Old 11-06-18, 04:00 PM
All District

THE OWNER is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
At the risk of pushing this once-innocent thread towards the smelly trash pile to which all Hoban-related discussions eventually go.....

You are right, Hoban has recruited every single student that has enrolled at the school since 1953. No one denies that fact. Like all Akron parochial high schools, they have no designated district that you speak of or feeder school on which they are reliant.

Like with any school that must obtain its students in this manner, no one seems to care or raise a stink unless said school starts winning athletic state championships and/or regularly beating everyone else in the area. In the 80's and 90's Hoban's softball and volleyball teams were dominant, state championship level programs and therefore were regualrly accused of recruiting (i.e "stealing" the good athletes that "belonged" to other districts). Even though the football team (like the school itself) has always been made up of kids from all over at least three counties (in the 80's for instance and much like today, Hoban had football players from East Akron, West Akron, North Hill, Kent, Brimfield, Stow, Mogadore, Portage Lakes, Kenmore, Uniontown, Medina, Firestone Park, Green, Norton, Barberton, Ellet, Cuyahoga Falls, Tallmadge, etc.), but since the program was not winning titles nobody said anything.

Now, if you are saying Hoban is recruiting kids illegally/outside of the governing rules of the OHSAA, that is a diferent story and you should perhaps be specific in your claims and provide some sort of facts.
The part that is dirty is the big boosters paying the tuition for these stud players to attend Hoban.
Old 11-06-18, 04:32 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE OWNER View Post
The part that is dirty is the big boosters paying the tuition for these stud players to attend Hoban.
Nice general statement with ZERO knowledge of Hoban or anyone on the team. This statement is about as credible as saying Hoban gets football players from AAU. Pretty common for schools to offer financial aid packages for students based on household income that is through donation or endowment. Happens everywhere. The OHSAA found that the criteria for financial aid was consistent and that athletes were not given any special consideration over non-athletes along with testing and admission criteria. This was also being done when Hoban had a losing record. Of course athletes on finically aid get assistance from private funds. The entire school is run from private funding. Not hard to understand. Every student at Hoban has Privately funded tuition.

Funny how nobody cares when public school stadiums and secondary gyms are privately funded but heaven forbid a kid gets tuition assistance.
Old 11-06-18, 05:03 PM
All Ohio

JimmyOhio75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Is AAU football a thing? I thought AAU was basketball??
Old 11-06-18, 05:24 PM
All District

Copley King is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Wow...
Old 11-06-18, 05:27 PM
All District

Copley King is on a distinguished road
Quote:
They're not.... Could you please tell me what's Hobans district???
Old 11-06-18, 05:30 PM
All District

ColinCat is on a distinguished road
Garfield Hts will get rolled in this game.