Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins?
Elder 29 78.38%
Lakota East 8 21.62%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-05-18, 11:38 AM
All American

Jerry Maguire is an unknown quantity at this point
R4 Semi-final: Lakota East vs. Elder

Elder and Lakota East will meet up for possibly the first time ever at Mason on Friday night. Thoughts?

I want to say Elder by 2 or 3 TDs, but it's the playoffs and Lakota East has enough talent to beat Elder and it will probably be a close one.

Once again, weather may be a factor.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-18, 11:49 AM
All Yappi

CardinalsFan is on a distinguished road
I am personally fascinated by this game. Lakota East is going to give Elder a heavy, HEAVY dose of running the football.

Elder's rush defense was 3rd in the GCL-S allowing just over 143 yds/game. Lakota East averages 273 yds/game on the ground. Last week, they rushed for 200 and threw for 92 against a good Mason defense that had only allowed 153 yds/game on the ground coming in.

I don't think it's beyond reason to think Lakota East can win this game. They have to eliminate any turnover possibility and eat up clock on offense while GCL-S POY Bittner sits on the sidelines and watches.

If this were at Elder, I'd say Panthers easily. However, it's at Mason and if Coach Haynes can get his boys believing...who knows?

LOVE THE PLAYOFFS!!

-CardinalsFan
Old 11-05-18, 11:55 AM
All Ohio

Unstacked is on a distinguished road
Elder rolls!
Old 11-05-18, 12:02 PM
All World

CardDad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalsFan View Post
I am personally fascinated by this game. Lakota East is going to give Elder a heavy, HEAVY dose of running the football.

Elder's rush defense was 3rd in the GCL-S allowing just over 143 yds/game. Lakota East averages 273 yds/game on the ground. Last week, they rushed for 200 and threw for 92 against a good Mason defense that had only allowed 153 yds/game on the ground coming in.

I don't think it's beyond reason to think Lakota East can win this game. They have to eliminate any turnover possibility and eat up clock on offense while GCL-S POY Bittner sits on the sidelines and watches.

If this were at Elder, I'd say Panthers easily. However, it's at Mason and if Coach Haynes can get his boys believing...who knows?

LOVE THE PLAYOFFS!!

-CardinalsFan
I think it is more of attitude and experience. Elder has been through this many times where East is new to it. That matters a great deal in high school.
Old 11-05-18, 12:03 PM
All World

CardDad is on a distinguished road
I'm going to go with Elder wins comfortably.
Old 11-05-18, 12:09 PM
All Ohio

W@rrior 11 is on a distinguished road
I'm going with Lakota East with the upset once again and this is Region 4 Cinderella team.
Old 11-05-18, 12:11 PM
All American

Jerry Maguire is an unknown quantity at this point
This is actually a really good opportunity for Elder to see the triple option before a potential matchup with Colerain. Obviously Colerain has superior strength and speed running the option, but I don't think Elder saw any option all season. Could be wrong on that.

How are Lakota East's LBs and secondary? If it's dry and Elder can throw everything at LE, then I think Elder wins somewhat easily. Elder's D-Line had a great game against Moe and should be able to stop the run. LE will have to catch Elder off guard and execute on passes downfield to win, IMO.
Old 11-05-18, 01:00 PM
All District

foreword is on a distinguished road
Elder's luck at Mason the past couple of times has not been good....losses to Colerain in 90 mph wind ....and Mason (missed PAT)......
Old 11-05-18, 01:08 PM
All Ohio

OUcats82 is on a distinguished road
Biggest thing for East is to not get into an early hole. Their offense cannot play catch up.

If they fall down by 21 points that would nearly be game over for them.
Old 11-05-18, 01:28 PM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Maguire View Post
This is actually a really good opportunity for Elder to see the triple option before a potential matchup with Colerain. Obviously Colerain has superior strength and speed running the option, but I don't think Elder saw any option all season. Could be wrong on that.

How are Lakota East's LBs and secondary? If it's dry and Elder can throw everything at LE, then I think Elder wins somewhat easily. Elder's D-Line had a great game against Moe and should be able to stop the run. LE will have to catch Elder off guard and execute on passes downfield to win, IMO.
There is why East will lose. Their secondary (and linebackers when it comes to the pass) is by far their weakest point. They are horrible at guarding anyone, and frankly, look confused most the time in who is guarding who. Mason saw that on Friday yet didn't continue to exploit it, for whatever reason. Any team with a decent passing game and at least a half decent, and disciplined, defense can and will beat East.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-18, 01:35 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Maguire View Post

Also, don't be mistaken, East can and will throw the ball and they are very efficient with it when they do. Just something to think about.

Old 11-05-18, 01:41 PM
All American

tonka is on a distinguished road
This East team lost to Princeton and Kings. No offense to either of those teams but Elder would put the running clock on both of them. I think East can control the clock to keep it somewhat close in the first half but Elder pull away in the 2nd half. 35-10.
Old 11-05-18, 01:44 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonka View Post
This East team lost to Princeton and Kings. No offense to either of those teams but Elder would put the running clock on both of them. I think East can control the clock to keep it somewhat close in the first half but Elder pull away in the 2nd half. 35-10.
A running clock on the Princeton team at the end of the season, doubt that on their team at the beginning of the season. That was a good Princeton squad, particularly on offense. They had a lethal with his legs and arm QB and very big and fast receivers.

Old 11-05-18, 01:46 PM
All Ohio

cincifbfan is on a distinguished road
I'm going with East. Elder has historically struggled against the triple. Their defensive coaches NEVER make any adjustments. Go LE!
Old 11-05-18, 02:01 PM
COLERAIN ROCKS

chaingang is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincifbfan View Post
I'm going with East. Elder has historically struggled against the triple. Their defensive coaches NEVER make any adjustments. Go LE!
Absolutely no shot at all....Elder rolls 42-14 probably at one point there will be a running clock
Old 11-05-18, 02:02 PM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Curious what makes you say Elder has historically struggled against the option?
Old 11-05-18, 02:06 PM
All Region

NewOldBlood is on a distinguished road
East had a couple of losses early, but I think they were greatly improved by the end of the regular season. I still think Elder will win, but I think it might be a lot closer than some people expect.
Old 11-05-18, 02:57 PM
All American

Visitation_Football
I've never seen a team or program so affected by weather conditions as Elder continuously is year after year. They are awful in wet weather. You give them dry conditions and they are a completely different team. This will be a big factor in Friday's game and how close of a game it will be.
Old 11-05-18, 03:06 PM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
There's no rain in the forecast for Friday night...yet.

Last edited by EHS 2001; 11-05-18 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-05-18, 03:48 PM
All Yappi

Spille is on a distinguished road
This is an Elder team that has run hot and cold this year, perhaps it is the weather, who knows.

I saw an Elder o-line that absolutely manhandled what many thought was a pretty good Moeller front 7. If they get that kind of play Friday, Elder will roll.

The defense was much better too, though questions abound regarding the Moeller offense. Spencer Bono was an animal last week. A mandatory double team, he wrecked Moeller on his own.

Hoping this Elder team is playing its best ball this year as the advance in the playoffs.

I like Elder 42-14.
Old 11-05-18, 10:36 PM
Elder '04 UC '09

Chuges is on a distinguished road
If Elder plays like they did last week then LE has quite an uphill battle on their hands. No disrespect to LE but if Elder is that focused and executes as well as they did against Moeller then there are few teams that can beat them. Unfortunately, one of those teams is going to be waiting for them in the regional final... It all depends which Elder team shows up: the one who crushed X and Moeller, playoff matchup, or the one that looked lost against St. I, WW and choked away that game against St. Ed's. I did really like what I saw last Friday from the Panthers and think they'll continue that momentum this Friday, weather permitting.
Old 11-05-18, 11:26 PM
All Ohio

Fatman is on a distinguished road
Elder will assume a win is in the bag and get their rear ends handed to them.
Old 11-05-18, 11:33 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by PURPLE REIGN View Post
Curious what makes you say Elder has historically struggled against the option?
Perhaps my memory is fading in my older years, but I only remember Elder beating Colerain in the years Elder made it to the state championship. In some of those games, the splits on Colerain's line were some of the largest I've ever seen.... 6-7 feet, and Elder's defense kept spreading out with them instead of just taking the gap that was given to them. I am also fairly sure that most of those losses to Colerain were blowouts.

I have also remember seeing Elder lose to a a very undersized Hilliard Davidson team (granted eventual state champions) at Welcome in the cold. I watched a triple team dismantle Elder in that game and Elder's defensive staff on the sidelines look incredibly confused.

So, recent history tells me that they struggle against the triple, in the games I have seen, they don't stay very gap sound, and have many missed assignments.

As I said, perhaps my memory is not the sharpest any more, but that was where I was coming from.
Old 11-06-18, 06:51 AM
Moderated User

TheCoz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Perhaps my memory is fading in my older years, but I only remember Elder beating Colerain in the years Elder made it to the state championship. In some of those games, the splits on Colerain's line were some of the largest I've ever seen.... 6-7 feet, and Elder's defense kept spreading out with them instead of just taking the gap that was given to them. I am also fairly sure that most of those losses to Colerain were blowouts.

I have also remember seeing Elder lose to a a very undersized Hilliard Davidson team (granted eventual state champions) at Welcome in the cold. I watched a triple team dismantle Elder in that game and Elder's defensive staff on the sidelines look incredibly confused.

So, recent history tells me that they struggle against the triple, in the games I have seen, they don't stay very gap sound, and have many missed assignments.

As I said, perhaps my memory is not the sharpest any more, but that was where I was coming from.
Sir, you must've been watching a different game than me because HD didn't run the triple option.
Old 11-06-18, 08:29 AM
All American

CincyHSFootballFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Not many teams have been successful stopping Colerain, however when Elder has had the players on defense, they have done ok. Some of the years Elder lost to Colerain, they easily beat other option teams. Elder rarely had much trouble with Centerville for instance when they used to run the option. I believe Chatard or maybe its Cathedral, who Elder used to play regularly, ran the option as well and Elder had little problems with them.

In regards to this game, it all comes down to which Elder team shows up. There is no team with such a high ceiling and such a low floor in terms of their play week to week. If they come Friday night with one of their better performances the game will be over early in the second half. If they play to their floor, LE can win this game.
Old 11-06-18, 09:01 AM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
I imagine Lakota East is very similar to the old Centerville teams of the past - maybe similar to Hilliard Darby as well who Elder played in the playoffs in 2015. Colerain's option kills Elder because of the speed. Now Elder did struggle against Mason in the playoffs a few seasons ago - I know they're not an option team but all they did the entire game was run the ball possibly wing-t? East will need to match Elder physically across the LOS, if they can do that then they'll be in the game.
Old 11-06-18, 10:18 AM
All American

SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
Another game that will come down to which O-Line and D-Line shows up for Elder. Though the O seems predictable at times, when they received very solid o line play they haven’t really been stopped this year. Key for Entire Defense will be keeping responsibilities and tackling.
Old 11-06-18, 01:27 PM
All District

mike45069 is on a distinguished road
How does Lakota East even prepare for Elder's passing game? East has maybe 5 different passing plays they use all year, going to be tough to practice against Elder's passing game this week. Might be a little of the same for Elder trying to replicate the option. With that said, I think Elder's in a better position as their playbook seems to be 100x larger and preparation will be a lot harder for East.

East hasn't really ever beaten anyone good beyond their 2 Springboro playoff wins and Mason last week. You could reach and say Sycamore 2 weeks ago. I just dont see anything in East beating a non first round opponent. Running Colerain's offense works with Colerain players in the playoffs, but not with Lakota East talent. No way this game stays close. They won't be able to cover Elder receivers and they will just try and overpower Elder with the fullback and QB runs and Elder will take something away and East will get off schedule just enough to have to punt most of the time. Elder masters the art of making a team drive 10 to 15 plays to score, and you have to do it without penalties or turnovers, and to do that 4 or 5 times is going to be really tough. The East pass defense will think they're playing the Chiefs by the 3rd quarter. 42-13 Elder.
Old 11-06-18, 01:59 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike45069 View Post
How does Lakota East even prepare for Elder's passing game? East has maybe 5 different passing plays they use all year, going to be tough to practice against Elder's passing game this week. Might be a little of the same for Elder trying to replicate the option. With that said, I think Elder's in a better position as their playbook seems to be 100x larger and preparation will be a lot harder for East.

East hasn't really ever beaten anyone good beyond their 2 Springboro playoff wins and Mason last week. You could reach and say Sycamore 2 weeks ago. I just dont see anything in East beating a non first round opponent. Running Colerain's offense works with Colerain players in the playoffs, but not with Lakota East talent. No way this game stays close. They won't be able to cover Elder receivers and they will just try and overpower Elder with the fullback and QB runs and Elder will take something away and East will get off schedule just enough to have to punt most of the time. Elder masters the art of making a team drive 10 to 15 plays to score, and you have to do it without penalties or turnovers, and to do that 4 or 5 times is going to be really tough. The East pass defense will think they're playing the Chiefs by the 3rd quarter. 42-13 Elder.
Elder typically doesn't have a huge playbook, normally 10-15 plays out of lots of formations.
Old 11-06-18, 02:20 PM
All Yappi

CardinalsFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHSFootballFan View Post
In regards to this game, it all comes down to which Elder team shows up. There is no team with such a high ceiling and such a low floor in terms of their play week to week. If they come Friday night with one of their better performances the game will be over early in the second half. If they play to their floor, LE can win this game.
You are not the only poster to say this, which I find to be very interesting.

How does that work? I gotta admit, Elder has won a few games here at the end but against less than stellar competition. LaSalle finished with a losing record and the Missouri team? YIKES! The Moeller win was "ok" I guess....

I think Elder wins this game but I really would love to see Lakota East come out with a solid game plan and execute it just to see where they are. 5 years ago this would have been a laugher, but I don't think it is now, which is interesting.

I would not feel good now knowing "which team was going to show up?" Just my $0.02.

-CardinalsFan