Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-05-18, 08:31 AM
All District

lhubble is on a distinguished road
Region 3: #6 9-2 Pickerington Central vs #2 10-1 Northmont

Rematch from last years 1st round playoff game. Who wins?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-18, 10:14 AM
All Region

BoltsFan06 is on a distinguished road
Northmont wins this game, but it will be tight. The front 7 for the Bolts have been dominating as of late, even against the potent, quick option attack of Darby. They were able to control the clock somewhat and keep the score lower than it could have been. Northmont can score almost on demand right now and QB Miles Johnson looks like the best QB Northmont has had...and that is saying a lot of the young man. As long as they keep their heads, layoff the stupid personal fouls, and play their game, I think the Bolts win by 7-10.
Old 11-05-18, 10:45 AM
All World

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
While I wouldn’t be surprised if Northmont wins like you said , I would slow down a bit by using Darby’s “ quick option offense “ as evidence of a dominating front seven. And also N-Mont scoring on demand isn’t happening on PC Friday . Should be a tough competitive game
Old 11-05-18, 10:46 AM
All Ohio

coachablekid is on a distinguished road
I hope Northmont gets revenge
Old 11-05-18, 10:49 AM
All Yappi

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Northmont is by far the best team in the GWOC. Havenít seen PC this year but Iím taking Northmont in this one.
Old 11-05-18, 10:53 AM
All Region

That is not the only evidence of a stout front 7...2 Big 10 commits, 1 of which is an Under Armor All American, and allow just over 130 ypg rushing. I have seen them play all types of offenses this season and the front 7 causes a lot of fits for opposing offenses. The defense is also full of ball hawks scooping up 13 interceptions this season. What about PC...where are their strengths?
Old 11-05-18, 10:57 AM
All World

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
I am impressed by your talent and know you weren’t basing your confidence on the Darby result and your team has the ability to win . PC offense is not last years PC offense so they will have their hands full. I do think NM offense will as well though.
Old 11-05-18, 11:38 AM
All American

bigv is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
Northmont is by far the best team in the GWOC. Havenít seen PC this year but Iím taking Northmont in this one.
But they got pounded by Wayne,maybe the best team but not by far
Old 11-05-18, 11:43 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigv View Post
But they got pounded by Wayne,maybe the best team but not by far
That was a let down game for sure. We played terribly and the Wayne train got back rolling that night.
Old 11-05-18, 11:47 AM
All American

bigv is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltsFan06 View Post
That was a let down game for sure. We played terribly and the Wayne train got back rolling that night.
I know,most surprising game of the season
Old 11-05-18, 12:57 PM
All American

blahblah4everything is on a distinguished road
Quote:
the Wayne train got back rolling that night.
Wayne got rolling because we donít match up favorably with this kind of fast and athletic team and even though it sounds like PC isnít exactly the same as last year; Iím assuming that they havenít completely degraded.
We have the best QB since Horner, and heís protected by a good O-line but our receivers arenít going to run away from PC D-backs. They have won a few fights for contested balls though. We have no one fast enough to turn our screen pass into gainsÖ.just to much running towards the sideline.
Our D-backs donít have speed to run with PC receivers and donít have the size to contest passes.
Our front seven is playing much better than last year, very good run stuffing and pass rushing but they can get out run to the edges.
Our starting running back has had a few breakaway runs in the last 3 weeks but still runs too upright into the line of scrimmage and doesnít have the size to plow throughÖlike Jacobs can.
We arenít going to get a field goal unless itís in extra point range and Iím thinking that our squib kick offs to speedy returners is going to catch up to us this week. I doubt PCís kids will run 15 yards backwards like Springfield did.

I still expect us to have a better showing than last yearÖespecially since weíre not playing in a swamp.
Old 11-05-18, 02:10 PM
All Ohio

dograt is on a distinguished road
In related news, the sky is falling.
Old 11-05-18, 02:18 PM
All Region

Yea, the field conditions last year were awful. I think you are selling the wide receivers athleticism short though. I think we are a lot better outside than last year and while they may not run away from PC dbs, Miles is putting the ball right where it needs to be the last few weeks. I think it will be a tight game.
Old 11-05-18, 02:37 PM
All District

THE FLOCK is an unknown quantity at this point
I think Pick Central kicks the Bolts in their hoo-ha's and mosey on out of the stadium with a ticket to the regional finals
Old 11-05-18, 03:19 PM
All District

Pickeringtonsports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah4everything View Post
Wayne got rolling because we donít match up favorably with this kind of fast and athletic team and even though it sounds like PC isnít exactly the same as last year; Iím assuming that they havenít completely degraded.
We have the best QB since Horner, and heís protected by a good O-line but our receivers arenít going to run away from PC D-backs. They have won a few fights for contested balls though. We have no one fast enough to turn our screen pass into gainsÖ.just to much running towards the sideline.
Our D-backs donít have speed to run with PC receivers and donít have the size to contest passes.
Our front seven is playing much better than last year, very good run stuffing and pass rushing but they can get out run to the edges.
Our starting running back has had a few breakaway runs in the last 3 weeks but still runs too upright into the line of scrimmage and doesnít have the size to plow throughÖlike Jacobs can.
We arenít going to get a field goal unless itís in extra point range and Iím thinking that our squib kick offs to speedy returners is going to catch up to us this week. I doubt PCís kids will run 15 yards backwards like Springfield did.

I still expect us to have a better showing than last yearÖespecially since weíre not playing in a swamp.
I have watched every PC game for about the past 10 years. Here is my honest and objective assessment of this yearís team:

Strengths
1) Coaching Ė PC has great coaching from top to bottom especially on the defensive side of the ball. They will be prepared for whatever is thrown at them and are really good at making in game adjustments.
2) Defense Against Spread Teams Ė This team is really good at defending against spread teams. They disguise their coverages very well and will adjust coverage pre and post snap. Back 7 very athletic.
3) Defensive Backs Ė The DBs on this team have a ton of speed, 3 of the 4 run low 4.4, they cover and tackle in space exceptionally well.
4) D-Line Ė 2 of the starting D-Lineman are going to Power 5 schools, one will attend Duke and the other will attend TCU.
5) Pressure Ė This team will get after the QB and they will hit him often if he is not mobile. Spread Teams need to prepare their backup QB just in case, even if it is just for a few plays.
6) Special Teams Ė The PC kicking game is pretty good and their punter is also very good. Their Kickoff Return team is very good and they break a lot of big returns.
7) Running Backs Ė PC has one really good back #5 and several other younger backs that are very quick. They also run their 2 D-Lineman who go 280 and 300 Lbs. They do not over use their backs so you will see 5-9 players get carries.

Weaknesses
1) O-Line Ė They replaced the entire starting O-Line and have yet to jell as a unit. They have gotten better as the season progressed but still not where they need to be.
2) Passing Game Ė See O-Line comment but the QB has been un-characteristically in accurate and has not seen the field very well. The Passing game just needs a lot of work from top to bottom. They will hit you with a few big plays every game.
3) Team Attitude Ė This team doesnít have poor attitudes but they seem to come out flat. They do not play with the aggressiveness that previous PC teams have over the years.
4) Defense Against Triple Option Ė They have struggled to get off the field against teams that run the double wing, triple option. They eat up spread teams but the power running triple option teams have given them fits this season.
5) Sleepy-Sleepy Ė This teams seems to fall asleep at the wheel sometimes, not sure what it is but they just have some lapses and seem to turn it on just enough and in time to pull games out. They got caught twice this season and lost 2 games they should have won.

I havenít watched any tape of Northmont yet this season. Last year, I watched a ton of tape and they were very predictable on offense. I actually noticed about 5-6 plays that they ran consistently and they actually tipped their hand on those plays. Their slot receiver was a very good athlete, small and quick. He had about 2-3 routes and that was about it. Their receiver #1 was a beast but again not very many routes, he would just out athlete the other team. The RB was big but not very fast and the O-Line was suspect.

Once I watch some film, I will have a better grasp on how I think this game will go. Their QB has to be good at throwing under pressure and deliver the ball when he knows he is about to get hit. However, if Northmontís QB is not mobile and they do not change up their tendencies, they will find it very hard to score on this defense.
Old 11-05-18, 03:49 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by dograt View Post
In related news, the sky is falling.
Bring it...we've played good in the rain this year.
Old 11-05-18, 03:52 PM
All American

Quote:
Yea, the field conditions last year were awful. I think you are selling the wide receivers athleticism short though. I think we are a lot better outside than last year and while they may not run away from PC dbs, Miles is putting the ball right where it needs to be the last few weeks. I think it will be a tight game.
I gladly admit that I could be underestimating the receivers but it's just that I remember how those matchups went last year and I don't really think the PC talent has dropped off too much.
Old 11-05-18, 03:58 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickeringtonsports View Post
Weaknesses
1) O-Line Ė They replaced the entire starting O-Line and have yet to jell as a unit. They have gotten better as the season progressed but still not where they need to be.
If true, this is an a opportunity for the Bolts.
Old 11-05-18, 04:29 PM
Junior Varsity

Pawpaw53 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
While I wouldnít be surprised if Northmont wins like you said , I would slow down a bit by using Darbyís ď quick option offense ď as evidence of a dominating front even. And also N-Mont scoring on demand isnít happening on PC Friday . Should be a tough competitive game
Yea. I donít think anyone from northmont thinks this is a sure handed thing. This is the defending state champs here regardless of what they lost from last year. But this is a better northmont team from last year also. Besides one bad half of football in 11 games I think northmont has a shot at least. But by no means do I believe it be easy.
Old 11-05-18, 04:52 PM
All District

northmontthunder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I have watched every PC game for about the past 10 years. Here is my honest and objective assessment of this year’s team:

Strengths
1) Coaching – PC has great coaching from top to bottom especially on the defensive side of the ball. They will be prepared for whatever is thrown at them and are really good at making in game adjustments.
2) Defense Against Spread Teams – This team is really good at defending against spread teams. They disguise their coverages very well and will adjust coverage pre and post snap. Back 7 very athletic.
3) Defensive Backs – The DBs on this team have a ton of speed, 3 of the 4 run low 4.4, they cover and tackle in space exceptionally well.
4) D-Line – 2 of the starting D-Lineman are going to Power 5 schools, one will attend Duke and the other will attend TCU.
5) Pressure – This team will get after the QB and they will hit him often if he is not mobile. Spread Teams need to prepare their backup QB just in case, even if it is just for a few plays.
6) Special Teams – The PC kicking game is pretty good and their punter is also very good. Their Kickoff Return team is very good and they break a lot of big returns.
7) Running Backs – PC has one really good back #5 and several other younger backs that are very quick. They also run their 2 D-Lineman who go 280 and 300 Lbs. They do not over use their backs so you will see 5-9 players get carries.

Weaknesses
1) O-Line – They replaced the entire starting O-Line and have yet to jell as a unit. They have gotten better as the season progressed but still not where they need to be.
2) Passing Game – See O-Line comment but the QB has been un-characteristically in accurate and has not seen the field very well. The Passing game just needs a lot of work from top to bottom. They will hit you with a few big plays every game.
3) Team Attitude – This team doesn’t have poor attitudes but they seem to come out flat. They do not play with the aggressiveness that previous PC teams have over the years.
4) Defense Against Triple Option – They have struggled to get off the field against teams that run the double wing, triple option. They eat up spread teams but the power running triple option teams have given them fits this season.
5) Sleepy-Sleepy – This teams seems to fall asleep at the wheel sometimes, not sure what it is but they just have some lapses and seem to turn it on just enough and in time to pull games out. They got caught twice this season and lost 2 games they should have won.

I haven’t watched any tape of Northmont yet this season. Last year, I watched a ton of tape and they were very predictable on offense. I actually noticed about 5-6 plays that they ran consistently and they actually tipped their hand on those plays. Their slot receiver was a very good athlete, small and quick. He had about 2-3 routes and that was about it. Their receiver #1 was a beast but again not very many routes, he would just out athlete the other team. The RB was big but not very fast and the O-Line was suspect.

Once I watch some film, I will have a better grasp on how I think this game will go. Their QB has to be good at throwing under pressure and deliver the ball when he knows he is about to get hit. However, if Northmont’s QB is not mobile and they do not change up their tendencies, they will find it very hard to score on this defense.
I wish I could look at some Pickerington Central games to watch them. I can't comment on this game much. I read through your analyses and picked up a few things. Northmont has a pretty good O-line. Our QB is rarely running for his life. We have two good running backs that can take it to the house if they break a tackle. We don't have a lot of size at WR but we are fast maybe not 4.4 fast but we made Hilliard Darby's secondary look slow. If Pic comes out slow again, Northmont comes out fast usually. Our CB's got caught looking in the backfield a few times last week and the Darby QB couldn't capitalize. Pickerington actually reminds me of Springfield. They said we couldn't hang with Springfield's speed and that wasn't the case at all. With a suspect O-line Pic will have a tough time blocking Northmont's Line. Northmont has a very balanced Offensive attack that can hurt you in a number of ways. The key to this game will be turnovers. Northmont does a pretty good job of not turning the ball over. I am worried about personal fouls that seem to spring up every big game for Northmont. I believe this will be a much different game this year. Most of all areas have improved this year for Northmont and it sounds like Pic has gotten worse this year in most areas. I like how Northmont has a lot of Experience across the board and that will help us come out fast and not melt under the pressure. Since I'm biased, my opinion doesn't mean much but I have watched a majority of the games this year. I think Northmont has a real chance this year.
Old 11-05-18, 07:44 PM
All Region

HardCorps is on a distinguished road
If you are from Northmont, do not park in the midst of Pick Central fans’ vehicles. I learned that lesson up at Springfield at the Regional Finals game.
Old 11-05-18, 07:49 PM
Junior Varsity

Pawpaw53 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCorps View Post
If you are from Northmont, do not park in the midst of Pick Central fansí vehicles. I learned that lesson up at Springfield at the Regional Finals game.
Lol. Why. What happened
Old 11-05-18, 08:48 PM
Varsity

Hillibuck is on a distinguished road
Well since Bradley just played PC and also scrimmaged Northmont early in the season I will weigh in here.

First off, like Northmont, Bradley is a spread team and PC did not "eat them up" by any means, so I think Northmont can move the ball on offense. The thing I would be concerned about if I'm a Bolts fan is 1) is you're QB mobile and 2) can he throw on the run. I don't remember him rolling out or doing much with his feet when they scrimmaged Bradley. Bradley has a mobile QB and had the most success against PC in the 1st half when they were getting him out of the pocket and keeping the PC defense off balance. In the 2nd half they stopped doing this and kept him in the pocket, giving the PC defense opportunities for some sacks and QB pressures. PC's defensive line is very good and will eventually get to your QB if he is just sitting in the pocket all night. Protection for your QB is crucial.

On the flip side, when PC is on offense I think their O-line will struggle against Northmont's defensive line. Bradley controlled the PC run game for most of the night and while I think Northmont's d-line is a step up from Bradley's I'm not sure the Northmont LB's are as good as Bradley's. The LB's will have to play physical and also be able to get sideline to sideline because PC will test the edges with their speed.

Both teams offensive lines are going to be tested and because of this I'm giving PC a slight edge because of their QB and his ability to extend plays with his mobility and running ability. Should be a good game.
Old 11-05-18, 08:52 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawpaw53 View Post
Lol. Why. What happened
A sizeable section of the driverís side of my vehicle was keyed. I guess I should have paid closer attention to what the North fans had to say. Lol
Old 11-05-18, 10:31 PM
All District

Quote:
A sizeable section of the driverís side of my vehicle was keyed. I guess I should have paid closer attention to what the North fans had to say. Lol
Ok, so Pickerington Central fans won the game and knew you were a fan if the opposing team and keyed your car? Our fan base is actually pretty laid back. I would say the same about North. This is not to say that some kids didnít do what you say but as a whole, we have been there before so know how to handle our business win or lose. Same goes for our players. Watch what happens if/when we lose. Every player will line up at the 50 and shake hands. Actually thought Colerain was one the best when it comes to good sportsmanship.
Old 11-05-18, 10:37 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillibuck View Post
Well since Bradley just played PC and also scrimmaged Northmont early in the season I will weigh in here.

First off, like Northmont, Bradley is a spread team and PC did not "eat them up" by any means, so I think Northmont can move the ball on offense. The thing I would be concerned about if I'm a Bolts fan is 1) is you're QB mobile and 2) can he throw on the run. I don't remember him rolling out or doing much with his feet when they scrimmaged Bradley. Bradley has a mobile QB and had the most success against PC in the 1st half when they were getting him out of the pocket and keeping the PC defense off balance. In the 2nd half they stopped doing this and kept him in the pocket, giving the PC defense opportunities for some sacks and QB pressures. PC's defensive line is very good and will eventually get to your QB if he is just sitting in the pocket all night. Protection for your QB is crucial.

On the flip side, when PC is on offense I think their O-line will struggle against Northmont's defensive line. Bradley controlled the PC run game for most of the night and while I think Northmont's d-line is a step up from Bradley's I'm not sure the Northmont LB's are as good as Bradley's. The LB's will have to play physical and also be able to get sideline to sideline because PC will test the edges with their speed.

Both teams offensive lines are going to be tested and because of this I'm giving PC a slight edge because of their QB and his ability to extend plays with his mobility and running ability. Should be a good game.
Bradley averaged about 50 points/game over last 6 games most of which probably had a rolling clock. They scored 13 points against PC. I think the first TD came within the first 3 minutes of the game.
Old 11-05-18, 11:03 PM
All Region

Quote:
Ok, so Pickerington Central fans won the game and knew you were a fan if the opposing team and keyed your car? Our fan base is actually pretty laid back. I would say the same about North. This is not to say that some kids didnít do what you say but as a whole, we have been there before so know how to handle our business win or lose. Same goes for our players. Watch what happens if/when we lose. Every player will line up at the 50 and shake hands. Actually thought Colerain was one the best when it comes to good sportsmanship.
I got out of my car and there were a lot of Pick fans around. I did not think anything about it. Pickís team seemed to play with class. The worst part of the game were the Cardsí five second half fumbles. Of course that was good for you. It was a very entertaining game. Perhaps a rematch is on the horizon.
Old 11-06-18, 01:01 AM
Varsity

Hillibuck is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Bradley averaged about 50 points/game over last 6 games most of which probably had a rolling clock. They scored 13 points against PC. I think the first TD came within the first 3 minutes of the game.
And they were 1st and goal on Pick Central's 3 yard line, ready to make it 20 - 7 when they get a dumb personal foul that moves them back to the 18 and then fumble the game away the next play. Bradley's offense moved the ball up and down the field all night, racking up nearly 350 yards of offense and what should have been 3 scores. Sorry, but I don't think anyone who sat and watched that game would come away saying Pick Central's defense "ate up" Bradley's spread offense.
Old 11-06-18, 10:20 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawpaw53 View Post
Yea. I donít think anyone from northmont thinks this is a sure handed thing. This is the defending state champs here regardless of what they lost from last year. But this is a better northmont team from last year also. Besides one bad half of football in 11 games I think northmont has a shot at least. But by no means do I believe it be easy.
Agree that no one thinks this is an easy win. Northmont is definitely better than last year. Let's see if they are good enough to make school history and move on to the Regional Final!

I keep seeing a recurring theme that gives me extra hope...the Northmont QB Johnson is a mobile QB that can run and throw on the run. Fortunately he has not had to do it a lot.
Old 11-06-18, 02:59 PM
All District

Quote:
I got out of my car and there were a lot of Pick fans around. I did not think anything about it. Pickís team seemed to play with class. The worst part of the game were the Cardsí five second half fumbles. Of course that was good for you. It was a very entertaining game. Perhaps a rematch is on the horizon.
Yes, as it relates to the game itself, Cards had a great team. I thought they were very well coached, lots of speed too. What I like most about their program was how they carried themselves after a tough loss that could have been a win. Sorry to hear what happened to your car but that is definitely the exception and not the rule. Good luck with the rest of the season and I do not hope to see your team later this season.