Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who takes this one?
#1 Fort Loramie 20 83.33%
#5 Sidney Lehman Catholic 4 16.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-18, 08:55 AM
All Region

big medicine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
All it did for Covington was give them 2 losses and a 1st rd. blow out loss to LCC. If the Buccs had scheduled a couple of cupcakes they may have been a 2nd or 3rd seed and possibly an easier 1st rd. play off opponent. If New Bremen was in the CCC they probably would have made the play offs and maybe won a game or two but instead they are sitting at home. Kirtland plays a cupcake schedule and it does not effect their play in the play offs at all. It is all about coaching and talent that's it.
I suspect Kirtland's easy schedule may have been a factor in their loss to Minster a few years back.

When Minster came back from what looked like an insurmountable deficit late in that game, recovered the onside kick, and then scored quickly when a short pass resulted in a long run down the sideline. I was concerned that the quick score had left enough time on the clock for Kirtland to mount their own late drive. Apparently playing from behind, or running a hurry up offense was something they had never experienced, or maybe even practiced much, because they were definitely out of their element trying to operate under these conditions.

A more competitive schedule might have served them well in that case.
Old 11-06-18, 08:55 AM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkat View Post
haven't seen Lehman at all this year, know they have a QB that can wing it and that Coach Roll has 21 players out. Loramie has some very good athletes and have been putting big numbers up.

also where is this game being played at?
Unfortunately for the Lehman qb, Loramies strength on defense is the ability to defend against the pass with their length. Receivers may not be open the way he is used to seeing them. Screen passes or out routes, perhaps, but those seldom yield big yardage.

Loramie has struggled with teams that can really run the ball well, such as Ansonia. They did stop the jet weep vs Miami East and stopped Covingtons option so guess they can stop the run as well at times. I did not hear how Ansonia managed to give them a good game but suspect it was up the middle with the run?
Old 11-06-18, 09:09 AM
All World

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
Your one ‘proof’ of this always seems to be Kirtland, but I consider them an outlier. Look at the perennial powers - hell, many are MAC teams with murderous schedules. Or in the larger divisions it’s Ignatius, Eds, and Mentor, or the GCL schools - they never win titles after tearing through easy regular season slates. It could be argued that Kirtland would have MORE titles if they played a tougher regular season schedule.

Which other dynastic teams have gotten where they are by playing mediocre competition?
The larger divisions have the roster size to play tougher schedules. If Fort Loramie was in the MAC this season they probably would not even made the play offs. Take Covington's 13 team with Miller as coach and Ouellette at rb., had the Buccs not had the unfortunate luck to be in the same division as ML ( an undefeated ML team ) they would probably won state that year. But Hardin Northern is the best ex. league affiliation means nothing, with a roster size less than 35 kids they use to give MAC teams all they can handle in the play offs, reason because of their coach Pete Brunow.
Old 11-06-18, 09:12 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by big medicine View Post
I suspect Kirtland's easy schedule may have been a factor in their loss to Minster a few years back.

When Minster came back from what looked like an insurmountable deficit late in that game, recovered the onside kick, and then scored quickly when a short pass resulted in a long run down the sideline. I was concerned that the quick score had left enough time on the clock for Kirtland to mount their own late drive. Apparently playing from behind, or running a hurry up offense was something they had never experienced, or maybe even practiced much, because they were definitely out of their element trying to operate under these conditions.

Maybe but didn't Kirtland come from behind to beat ML in 2015.
Old 11-06-18, 09:12 AM
All World

Fort Loramie 35 LC 14.
Old 11-06-18, 09:37 AM
All Region

big medicine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Maybe but didn't Kirtland come from behind to beat ML in 2015.
Yeah true, but that was a gradual, pound and ground comeback, playing to their strength. Never forced out of their comfort zone.
Old 11-06-18, 09:42 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yeah true, but that was a gradual, pound and ground comeback, playing to their strength. Never forced out of their comfort zone.
Still believe if there wasn't that horrible fumble call early on that there is no chance of the comeback. The MSML RB was pushed by 5 yards before he lost the ball, no way is that a fumble. Believe they woulda had the ball at the 5 getting ready to make it 21 zip maybe?

but I digress..
We all realize Kirtland is the bellcow of DVI, the MAC's kryptonite but luckily for Minster, Loramie or Crestview they wont have to worry about them.
Old 11-06-18, 11:59 AM
All Region

ReadyKnightsFan is on a distinguished road
Calpreps: Fort Loramie 41, Sidney Lehman 10
Pasteur: Fort Loramie by 20
Old 11-06-18, 12:07 PM
All World

bigkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:

it was the type of offense they played more then anything, I think they averaged about 3-4 passes a game prior to that game. While Minster practiced the 2 minute off as part of their off scheme.
Old 11-06-18, 07:51 PM
All World

bigkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyKnightsFan View Post
Calpreps: Fort Loramie 41, Sidney Lehman 10
Pasteur: Fort Loramie by 20
did read in the paper that C Mescher boy got hurt, anything serious?
Old 11-07-18, 09:01 AM
Freshman

LetsGoBig is on a distinguished road
I don't think this game will be close at all. The last two times Fort Loramie played Lehman they beat the snot out of them.

2015- 35-19--(FL snuck into the playoffs at 6-4)
2016- 20-0--(FL didn't even make the playoffs)

That was when Loramie was running an offense that everyone in the world new what they were going to do.......RUN.....now they have bigger, stronger, faster kids and Lehman is on the slide down with only 21 kids going out. Loramie will wear Lehman out by the middle of the third quarter. I could see it being close possibly for a little big before Loramies size and physicality just knock Lehman out.

Bigger than that is Lehman has lost to Waynesfield Goshen this year....no way they beat Loramie. They will be out manned at every position other than qb, and Loramie's front will negate him.

If would bet 34-7 would be a final, but i wouldn't be surprised if Lehman was shut out. I just don't see them moving the football.
Old 11-07-18, 03:37 PM
All Region

shoprat2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyboy73 View Post
I remember when Lehman played at Wertz Field in Piqua.
I played against Piqua Catholic there and Sidney Catholic at Sidney high.
Old 11-08-18, 07:38 AM
All Region

https://www.sidneydailynews.com/spor...ounty-showdown

Interesting that Lehman leads the series 8-4 but that Loramie has rattled off wins in 4 of the past 6 meetings.
Old 11-08-18, 10:29 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4fan View Post
Uh, Covington does not have the same athletes as the MAC area, Loramie does. Loramie will improve way more by playing MAC competition than what Covington does. I would equate the gap between Covington and the MAC playoff caliber teams to the gap between Minster and Northmont. There is some benefit in exposing the athlete to just where he needs to get to, but the ability to make that gap totally close is likely out of their physical capability. With Loramie, that gap is capable of being bridged.
Really ? I would say Covington has produced more D - 1 College players and lower college players than most MAC schools have.
Old 11-08-18, 10:31 AM
All World

Quote:
did read in the paper that C Mescher boy got hurt, anything serious?
That would be a big loss for the Redskins not for this game but next week if he was still to be out.
Old 11-08-18, 10:32 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Really ? I would say Covington has produced more D - 1 College players and lower college p[layers than most MAC schools have.
I know Oulette but how about others from Covington?
Old 11-08-18, 03:45 PM
Varsity

StSebastian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That would be a big loss for the Redskins not for this game but next week if he was still to be out.
Nothing serious. Loramie will be at full strength Saturday which is bad news bears for the Cavaliers... not that one player missing would have effected the outcome of this game. Next week would be a different story so let's hope they stay healthy!

If (when) they advance, next week will be a good barometer for the Redskins and their young HC if they get another shot at the Wildcats to see just how far the program has come since week 1 and if the change in HC leadership and culture has had any short term progress and long term effect... Do they actually have the talent to compete at that level (MAC) or is the community/administration delusional and will begin the process of running off another coach because they cannot beat 1 specific team which just so happens to stand in their way each year for playoff success...

Although that is the fate of most who run into a MAC program in the playoffs... so...

Only time will tell!
Old 11-08-18, 05:14 PM
All World

Quote:
I've followed Covington in the CCC since they joined and even before in the Three Rivers Conference and would seriously doubt they have had more D1 kids than many of the MAC schools.

One thing about CCC schools is they do not have the athletes on average that the MAC does so when they have one that is good they appear very very good, until they face a MAC team in the playoffs.

Also , with all those 10-1 teams Covington has produced they do get additional attention and by default recruitment but generally not at the D1 level. D1 is a different animal, even the MAC teams will not have very many of that type of player.

Wrong quote by the way, don't know what happened lol.
Old 11-08-18, 05:16 PM
All World

Quote:
Really ? I would say Covington has produced more D - 1 College players and lower college players than most MAC schools have.
Was supposed to be this one.
Old 11-09-18, 07:14 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by StSebastian View Post
Nothing serious. Loramie will be at full strength Saturday which is bad news bears for the Cavaliers... not that one player missing would have effected the outcome of this game. Next week would be a different story so let's hope they stay healthy!

If (when) they advance, next week will be a good barometer for the Redskins and their young HC if they get another shot at the Wildcats to see just how far the program has come since week 1 and if the change in HC leadership and culture has had any short term progress and long term effect... Do they actually have the talent to compete at that level (MAC) or is the community/administration delusional and will begin the process of running off another coach because they cannot beat 1 specific team which just so happens to stand in their way each year for playoff success...

Although that is the fate of most who run into a MAC program in the playoffs... so...

Only time will tell!
Your post insinuated that Loramie is nothing more than a bunch of angry villagers with torches and pitchforks. The fact is Whit Parks wasn't going to get Loramie over the hump. Loramie's Varsity starters were outscored by Minster in two meetings last year by a score of 60-0. A change was needed.

Spencer Wells has done an incredible job in his first season winning the CCC and blowing out every team not named Minster. Success will come under his helm. Its just a matter of when. Beating Lehman tomorrow and getting another crack at the Wildcats will be a good barometer to see just how far the Redskins still have to go.
Old 11-09-18, 08:06 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4fan View Post
I've followed Covington in the CCC since they joined and even before in the Three Rivers Conference and would seriously doubt they have had more D1 kids than many of the MAC schools.

One thing about CCC schools is they do not have the athletes on average that the MAC does so when they have one that is good they appear very very good, until they face a MAC team in the playoffs.

Also , with all those 10-1 teams Covington has produced they do get additional attention and by default recruitment but generally not at the D1 level. D1 is a different animal, even the MAC teams will not have very many of that type of player.

Wrong quote by the way, don't know what happened lol.
In the last 10 years New Bremen, Parkway , Anna, DSJ, Fort Recovery and Versailles I do not believe have had 1 D - 1 athlete in football that is 6 out of 10 MAC schools. All it takes is one very good athlete like Ouellette to make a big difference unfortunately for Covington they were in the same region as Marion Local in 13. Big difference between CCC and MAC is roster sizes and coaching.
Old 11-09-18, 08:51 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyKnightsFan View Post
Your post insinuated that Loramie is nothing more than a bunch of angry villagers with torches and pitchforks. The fact is Whit Parks wasn't going to get Loramie over the hump. Loramie's Varsity starters were outscored by Minster in two meetings last year by a score of 60-0. A change was needed.

Spencer Wells has done an incredible job in his first season winning the CCC and blowing out every team not named Minster. Success will come under his helm. Its just a matter of when. Beating Lehman tomorrow and getting another crack at the Wildcats will be a good barometer to see just how far the Redskins still have to go.
I did not intend that to be the insinuation. Delusional was the wrong word. I simply meant short sighted. The Loramie community is very passionate about their sports programs and rightfully so; their programs are outstanding. I only meant that they should be careful not to hang the success of the program, or Spencer, on a single team. Whit took the team to an 8-3 record (2 of those losses to Minster) in his final season. The season before that, their only loss to Minster was a 20-26 loss in OT due to a missed extra point with less than a minute to go in the 4th quarter. They didn't even make playoffs that year. They can hang with Minster no matter who is in charge. Beating them comes down to the intangibles that a coach can bring to a program. Change was needed but not exclusively because of losing to Minster.

I agree wholeheartedly that Spencer is EXPONENTIALLY better for this program than Whit, but it has little to do with a system of offense and everything to do with trust and respect within the locker room. Success (against Minster and in general) will come when there is a singular, focused mission, a mutual respect from coaches to athletes, and truly believing they can win. Whit's program lacked that to some degree...

All I was saying is that if they should get another shot at Minster next week, and lose, they should be careful not to have tunnel vision and start thinking that Spencer isn't the answer, or the system isn't working, or getting in their own way over analyzing who, what, and how of a single team. Trust the system, let the coach do his thing, and just support the kids (which they do VERY WELL).

I agree that success WILL COME with Wells in charge... as long as he is allowed to run HIS program they way he needs to in order to get the desired result. That's been the greatest (and about the only) struggle for program coaches at Loramie. Interference when there need not be due to overzealous governance.

They got it right when they got rid of Whit, just like they got it right switching up their baseball program. If anyone looks close enough at a program, there are significant signs of rot from within the system due to poor culture and program dynamics VS just getting unlucky, not having "elite" athletes, not "getting over the hump", or the ball bouncing the wrong way.

Best of luck to the Redskins and the entire FL community! I hope they get their shot at the Wildcats, and win. This is about the best position they have been in to do so in many years!
Old 11-09-18, 09:49 AM
Varsity

Quote:
I think the Cats scrimmages also helps, and this was started by Coach Moore, I don't think Minster has had a home scrimmage while Moore and Stokes have been here. This year the Cats played bellefountaine, Franklin, New Richmond, and Northmont and then finishes with Wapakoneta...

who is Loramie playing next year?
Loramie opens with Minster as always and then picked up week 2 v St. Henry in 19' and 20'. Scrimmages are getting stronger as well (no more Ponitz or Indian Lake...). Biggest difference is that Wells has the stones to go after it and knows what it will take to compete come playoffs when they undoubtedly run into a MAC school. Glad the admin. let him do it. Only thing that could be better is if they could play those games mid to late season instead of week 1 and 2. Obviously, it will never happen (unless they join the MAC in the future) but they have 2 tough games to start and then run the risk of becoming complacent smoking teams by 40-50pts... Hard to stay focused no matter who you are in that situation but at least they are beefing up where they can. Moving to the CCC helped by trading 1 good league opponent for 2 consistently dominant programs. Only way for the Loramie program to make the jump they really want to make is to always play 2 top MAC teams. Minster, MAC #2, Covington, Miami East and the potential of Lehman in the playoffs is not at all the same as being in the MAC, but it is getting better and the step that needs to be taken for THIS program.

I think the CCC is rotating starting next year as well which MAY move East and Covington off of week 3 and 4? Can anyone confirm? That would help spread out the competition from the first 4 weeks of the season. Not sure how the CCC works but I think it rotates depending on win/loss kinda like the MAC? I could be wrong...
Old 11-09-18, 10:36 AM
Varsity

BucksFan937 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StSebastian View Post
Loramie opens with Minster as always and then picked up week 2 v St. Henry in 19' and 20'. Scrimmages are getting stronger as well (no more Ponitz or Indian Lake...). Biggest difference is that Wells has the stones to go after it and knows what it will take to compete come playoffs when they undoubtedly run into a MAC school. Glad the admin. let him do it. Only thing that could be better is if they could play those games mid to late season instead of week 1 and 2. Obviously, it will never happen (unless they join the MAC in the future) but they have 2 tough games to start and then run the risk of becoming complacent smoking teams by 40-50pts... Hard to stay focused no matter who you are in that situation but at least they are beefing up where they can. Moving to the CCC helped by trading 1 good league opponent for 2 consistently dominant programs. Only way for the Loramie program to make the jump they really want to make is to always play 2 top MAC teams. Minster, MAC #2, Covington, Miami East and the potential of Lehman in the playoffs is not at all the same as being in the MAC, but it is getting better and the step that needs to be taken for THIS program.

I think the CCC is rotating starting next year as well which MAY move East and Covington off of week 3 and 4? Can anyone confirm? That would help spread out the competition from the first 4 weeks of the season. Not sure how the CCC works but I think it rotates depending on win/loss kinda like the MAC? I could be wrong...
In regards to the CCC, you are correct as it has a rotating schedule but I'm not 100% how it works. I believe it will rotate some of the lower teams off their schedule and then ensure they will play Miami East, Covington, TCN, Ansonia and Bethel for the next couple of years. That should hopefully give them 2-3 competitive games in league. I still don't know why they opened with Covington and Miami East as the first 2 conference games, I think that was just luck of the draw. When the new schedules come out I think that will change.
Old 11-09-18, 10:39 AM
Varsity

BucksFan937 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucksFan937 View Post
In regards to the CCC, you are correct as it has a rotating schedule but I'm not 100% how it works. I believe it will rotate some of the lower teams off their schedule and then ensure they will play Miami East, Covington, TCN, Ansonia and Bethel for the next couple of years. That should hopefully give them 2-3 competitive games in league. I still don't know why they opened with Covington and Miami East as the first 2 conference games, I think that was just luck of the draw. When the new schedules come out I think that will change.
Also, I did miss answering the actual question. Yes, next year will have new schedules in place based on the adjustment/rotation.
Old 11-09-18, 11:33 AM
Freshman

LetsGoBig is on a distinguished road
I think the Loramie administration has made great hires on the last couple years. I don't think Whit was bad for the program, the poster earlier even stated they had Minster beat until they missed an extra point two years ago. (I do think Spencer is a better fit) Minster lost in the state title that year so it's not like Loramie is that far off the pace.

They have great young coaches right now. Spencer has the kids excited about football and are playing with a ton of confidence. They hired a young basketball coach 4 years ago and he has had the basketball program in the regional the last two years. Then in baseball they made the tough decision to move on from Sturwald and got a younger guy that led them to the state title. So if the community allows these young coaches to go about their business and build their programs I think those sports are in good shape as long as they don't run anyone out in the near future.

As far as the schedule they play, its bad, there is nothing to say about it. The same teams this years team blasted were the same teams last years teams whooped on so there is no difference. The CCC is down, the numbers are dwindling and Loramie's athletes are far superior across the board than any other team. People want to talk about Covington and how good they USE to be and I understand the tradition, but they are no where near what they use to be. Loramie beat them as bad as the other bottom feeders in the conference.

I know the Loramie picked up St. Henry next year and that is a good get, because I heard the scheduled did not rotate in their favor next year. The CCC has taken records of the last 4 years to make their schedules out and even though Loramie has lost 1 game in two years they are still ranked the 4th in the conference behind Miami East, Covington, Tri County North according to some weird point system. I was told the Redskins will play both Miss. Valley and Bradford next year. I am not sure who else, but the best team will play the worst team.
Old 11-09-18, 12:02 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBig View Post
I think the Loramie administration has made great hires on the last couple years. I don't think Whit was bad for the program, the poster earlier even stated they had Minster beat until they missed an extra point two years ago. (I do think Spencer is a better fit) Minster lost in the state title that year so it's not like Loramie is that far off the pace.

They have great young coaches right now. Spencer has the kids excited about football and are playing with a ton of confidence. They hired a young basketball coach 4 years ago and he has had the basketball program in the regional the last two years. Then in baseball they made the tough decision to move on from Sturwald and got a younger guy that led them to the state title. So if the community allows these young coaches to go about their business and build their programs I think those sports are in good shape as long as they don't run anyone out in the near future.

As far as the schedule they play, its bad, there is nothing to say about it. The same teams this years team blasted were the same teams last years teams whooped on so there is no difference. The CCC is down, the numbers are dwindling and Loramie's athletes are far superior across the board than any other team. People want to talk about Covington and how good they USE to be and I understand the tradition, but they are no where near what they use to be. Loramie beat them as bad as the other bottom feeders in the conference.

I know the Loramie picked up St. Henry next year and that is a good get, because I heard the scheduled did not rotate in their favor next year. The CCC has taken records of the last 4 years to make their schedules out and even though Loramie has lost 1 game in two years they are still ranked the 4th in the conference behind Miami East, Covington, Tri County North according to some weird point system. I was told the Redskins will play both Miss. Valley and Bradford next year. I am not sure who else, but the best team will play the worst team.
How did they do their system to get FL that far down?
Old 11-09-18, 12:04 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Whit did good things and accomplished what he was brought in to do. He had some MAC experience and changed the weight room / discipline of the program (which was lacking to some extent - no knock to former coaches) but was limited in his ability to connect to the kids/community. He certainly did not set them BACK at all. I would argue that he set them up for what Spencer has been able to come in and implement. Whit, for all intents and purposes, helped the program whether the community wants to accept that or not.

Quote:
Support, Support, Support! "Old school" mentality, the ability to relate to kids, and being open to change and CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is crucial. Proof that it works with those 3 you mention.

Quote:

Loramie is in a tough position of trying to find a good fit that allows them to compete at a high level week to week. They would not able to join MAC for everything (even if the MAC wanted them) when that is really where they belong and want to be even though there would be growing pains. They get away with it in everything but Football because it just happens to be the only sport they cannot schedule almost all of the MAC schools. All other sports have the ability to schedule them all and do for the most part. They are a MAC type community through and through. Could that hold them back in the long run? Others make the argument it has not worked for other schools like Covington and Lehman, but they are not as much like a traditional midwest Ohio community as Loramie. The Redskins could handle it, no doubt. they prove it in all other sports.
Old 11-09-18, 12:07 PM
Freshman

DDoubleG is on a distinguished road
Stirred not Shaken;7176651]In the last 10 years New Bremen, Parkway , Anna, DSJ, Fort Recovery and Versailles I do not believe have had 1 D - 1 athlete in football that is 6 out of 10 MAC schools. All it takes is one very good athlete like Ouellette to make a big difference unfortunately for Covington they were in the same region as Marion Local in 13. Big difference between CCC and MAC is roster sizes and coaching.

I usually just read these forums to keep up with HS Football, probably have not been to a game in 2-3 years but I believe this statement to be false. In the last 10 years, I believe Thompson from Parkway played at OU and possibly in the NFL for a short period. Fort recovery has a quarterback at Toledo, dont they and Anna has an offensive lineman Chandler Cotterman at Toledo, plus I believe Anna also has a player at West Point or the Naval Academy, which is also Div 1. There might be others?
Old 11-09-18, 12:41 PM
All World

Thompson graduated in 08 ( last season of football was fall of 07 ) ) but I will give you that one, did not realize Cotterman went to Toledo on scholarship. Forgot about Martin from Fort Recovery, I believe he is now at ONU.