Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Colerain vs. Milford - GMC circa 2005 edition
Cardinals win by 28+ 35 74.47%
Cardinals win by 14-27 10 21.28%
Cardinals win by 1-13 0 0%
Eagles win...by any amount 2 4.26%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-05-18, 08:29 AM
All Ohio

W@rrior 11 is on a distinguished road
Colerain will have no problem but I see score only being 28-7
Old 11-05-18, 08:43 AM
All Ohio

OUcats82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalsFan View Post
Anyone remember the last time the R4 final did NOT have a GCL team involved?

-CardinalsFan
My best guess: 1995 Colerain vs. Lakota (presplit)?

Colerain and Wayne are the only two non GCL schools that have won the region since 1994 to the best of my knowledge.
Old 11-05-18, 09:18 AM
All Ohio

If one were to look at Colerain's top 10 most lopsided victories in school history, Milford would have multiple appearances on this list. The fact that their first matchup since Milford left the GMC is in the second round of the playoffs is a huge testament to how far that program has come and grown in a relatively short period of time. I'm excited for the players, coaches and community to get to experience success after years of struggle.

Some thoughts on the game:

I don't see Colerain scoring less than 35-42 points in this game. While Milford has put up some high numbers on offense this year, their defense has a 64 spot on the season and is not a brick wall. This will be one of the most complicated offenses to prep for/play against and it will be done at a much higher speed than say what West Clermont or Kettering Fairmont runs (best comparisons I can think of looking at Milford's schedule).

Hands down will be the tallest order to date for the Eagles and I think they will be a step too slow and won't have the recovery speed if Colerain's backs get to the outside or past the secondary.

On the flip side, I don't see Colerain's defense giving up more than 14 points with the starters in. A score of 49-35 etc. just doesn't seem realistic on a defense that has only given up 64 points in 11 games, with a decent chunk of those points coming on the reserves late in the second half.

Milford will likely score on a well played deep ball perhaps but will not be able to keep scoring drives alive consistently and if Colerain can build a decent lead, they will be able to pin their ears back and really come after the QB. You know what Woody said about throwing the ball.........

Fairfield put up the most points this season, but if you really peel it back:

-one TD was on a bonafide sustained drive, where they moved the chains repeatedly to punch it in
-another was on a very short field after an aggressive playcall backfired on the Cards
-another was simply a tip of the hat run to an amazing high school running back
-the last was in garbage time against the clean pants (an homage back to when the game was played on real grass)

I just don't see Milford being able to score enough to keep up with Colerain, especially if the Cards are up 21+ points in the first half.

I also think the Eagles have Colerain's full attention after what they were able to accomplish last week against Fairfield. Any element of surprise won't be there. As others have mentioned on here, when Colerain loses, it's generally because the other team was better and/or too many mistakes were made-not because they underestimated or overlooked the opponent. If there is one area where Colerain may arguably be better that their physical/playing abilities is their mentality when in a game.

If they have a 35-7 lead I just don't think they will let off the gas and let the other team back into the game like what happened last week.

Looking forward to seeing how the Cards respond to the test of a potent passing attack!

I predict a 42-14 Cards win. If I am wrong I will be here Friday night to congratulate the Eagles.
Old 11-05-18, 09:40 AM
Varsity

onehand is on a distinguished road
In checking the box score, I saw that Milford held Jutahn McClain to 78 yards rushing? I thought I heard he left the game early with an injury?
Old 11-05-18, 09:41 AM
All Yappi

CardinalsFan is on a distinguished road
As always OUCats82, GREAT write-up with some salient points.

Are there any Milford/ECC posters on here that can give us some insight into their playmakers? Specifically the QB, RB and WR1? Also, what do the OL/DL lines look like?

-CardinalsFan
Old 11-05-18, 10:28 AM
Inactive

GLAT is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to GLAT
There is no freakin way possible Colerain is looking past Milford... it is the playoffs and they have history with the coach. No way a Kerry Coombs disciple will or would allow his team to look past an opponent. I expect Colerain to have their best performance to date.
Old 11-05-18, 12:06 PM
All Region

Cards=fam is on a distinguished road
Possibly helpful for elder and colerain. Elder gets the triple in east and colerain gets passing for Milford. However colerain also gets to see how elder chooses to defend it.
Old 11-05-18, 12:15 PM
All World

CardDad is on a distinguished road
Colerain has given up 64 points this year after 11 games. The most was to Fairfield with 27. I see that as the only rallying point for Milford.
Old 11-05-18, 12:53 PM
All District

foreword is on a distinguished road
Grippa will have Milford ready to play......not sure they have the personnel to line up and defend the triple option though.....
Old 11-05-18, 12:58 PM
All District

foreword is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofer23 View Post
Since it is at X, does the Tailgating/Drinking ban apply to Non-Christians?
We will have to wait for an official ruling by Pope Frank on this one.........
Old 11-05-18, 06:50 PM
Colerain Booster

Honor&Glory is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Honor&Glory
all gas no beak. remember the mud pit of 04!
Old 11-05-18, 09:43 PM
All Region

CardSharp is on a distinguished road
the score

When I was a kid my little brother would ask for and get a toy drum on Christmas morning. Some years Mom and Dad didn't have a lot of money so my little brother would get a cheap toy drum on Christmas morning. It didn't matter, he'd beat that damn cheap toy drum till we went back to school in January. So what's the point in this post???
Colerain is going to beat Milford like a cheap toy drum on Christmas morning!

Last edited by CardSharp; 11-08-18 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-06-18, 10:24 AM
All Region

Colerain Fan is on a distinguished road
Cool Story CardSharp!!!!

Any other Milford Posters have some insight or thoughts?

Does Milford bring a good crowd?
Old 11-06-18, 11:01 AM
This is the year

gocards is on a distinguished road
An observation from looking at Milfords stats on Max Preps is that the Milford QB has 25 yds rushing on 25 carries for the year. Colerain usually feasts on immobile QB's.
Old 11-06-18, 11:12 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocards View Post
An observation from looking at Milfords stats on Max Preps is that the Milford QB has 25 yds rushing on 25 carries for the year. Colerain usually feasts on immobile QB's.
Really interesting podcast yesterday from WCPO.com's Mike Dyer. He interviewed Coach Grippa and he was...shall we say, very forthright with his answers. He does not pull punches and is very...honest, to say the least.

It's the second interview after Doug Ramsey of Elder.

The whole podcast is well done and worth a listen every week if you like high school sports at all. Mike does a great job with guests and getting different angles on things.

High School Insider Podcast

To say Hunter Johnson is immobile is a fair statement. He sits in the pocket and picks apart defenses. Without seeing him yet, it's difficult to know if he needs time for his routes to open up or if he is more of a spread option, get the ball out in 3 or less seconds, kind of QB.

Colerain is middle of the GMC pack in sacks on the year with 13. Fairfield leads the league in sacks at 36 and got to him twice last week, along with 3 INT's. It is the INT's that are going to be key as long as they put pressure on Johnson, which I believe they will, it will force him to throw the ball early or take the sack. Either way plays into the hands of Colerain's defense.

With all due respect to Del Thomas and Greg Fitzpatrick of Fairfield....Milford hasn't seen the likes of Ivan Pace Jr. I can envision him having a much bigger role on defense this week than offense. In fact, you could probably go with Hamzah Abdul Waheed at fullback this week and just murder the Eagles with speed at every position...JJ Davis, Syncere Jones, DSM, Waheed...yeah, liking that more and more.

-CardinalsFan
Old 11-06-18, 11:26 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardSharp View Post
When I was a kid my little brother would ask for and get a toy drum on Christmas morning. Some years Mom and Dad didn't have a lot of money so my little brother would get a cheap toy drum on Christmas morning. It didn't matter, he'd beat that damn cheap toy drum till we went back to school in January. So what's the point in this post???
Colerain is going to be Milford like a cheap toy drum on Christmas morning!
We're talking got it in your free bag from Johnny's Toys Birthday Castle cheap?!
Old 11-06-18, 12:13 PM
All Region

HardCorps is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalsFan View Post
Really interesting podcast yesterday from WCPO.com's Mike Dyer. He interviewed Coach Grippa and he was...shall we say, very forthright with his answers. He does not pull punches and is very...honest, to say the least.

It's the second interview after Doug Ramsey of Elder.

The whole podcast is well done and worth a listen every week if you like high school sports at all. Mike does a great job with guests and getting different angles on things.

High School Insider Podcast

To say Hunter Johnson is immobile is a fair statement. He sits in the pocket and picks apart defenses. Without seeing him yet, it's difficult to know if he needs time for his routes to open up or if he is more of a spread option, get the ball out in 3 or less seconds, kind of QB.

Colerain is middle of the GMC pack in sacks on the year with 13. Fairfield leads the league in sacks at 36 and got to him twice last week, along with 3 INT's. It is the INT's that are going to be key as long as they put pressure on Johnson, which I believe they will, it will force him to throw the ball early or take the sack. Either way plays into the hands of Colerain's defense.

With all due respect to Del Thomas and Greg Fitzpatrick of Fairfield....Milford hasn't seen the likes of Ivan Pace Jr. I can envision him having a much bigger role on defense this week than offense. In fact, you could probably go with Hamzah Abdul Waheed at fullback this week and just murder the Eagles with speed at every position...JJ Davis, Syncere Jones, DSM, Waheed...yeah, liking that more and more.

-CardinalsFan
Thanks for that link.
Old 11-06-18, 12:39 PM
Junior Varsity

Tribefan72 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by onehand View Post
In checking the box score, I saw that Milford held Jutahn McClain to 78 yards rushing? I thought I heard he left the game early with an injury?
McClain went down after FF third offensive play with what is presumed to be a broken hand. He did play a little late with a soft cast but probably limited to a dozen plays or less.

FF has not covered well in the secondary all year. Colerain does a much better job. And while all credit goes to Milford for not giving up the game friday should've, could've, would've been a FF win. They were physically bigger, stronger and mainly faster than Milford. Having their third RB in 90% of game as #2 was out before kickoff and a backup QB who happens to be a starting receiver hurt greatly. 4 TO in the 3rd and 4th quarters were the difference. But as i mentioned a great game plan and scrappy attitude were the difference. But that's why the play the games.

Milford has some very heady receivers and scrappy, quick DB's but those two strengths will both be main strengths for Colerain also.

I feel Colerain wins this game handily in the 49-7 range.

Last edited by Tribefan72; 11-06-18 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-06-18, 12:49 PM
All Ohio

playboi12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUcats82 View Post
We're talking got it in your free bag from Johnny's Toys Birthday Castle cheap?!
RIP Johnny's Toys! I still have those birthday key's in a keep box somewhere!
Old 11-06-18, 12:57 PM
All Yappi

ColerainWinsAgain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards=fam View Post
Confirmed it is X. Convenient for colerain. That’s a short bus trip. Anyone with objections?
Since I'm not from St. X is tailgating still banned? Can I enjoy a Yuengling?
Old 11-06-18, 01:59 PM
All Region

Cards=fam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColerainWinsAgain View Post
Since I'm not from St. X is tailgating still banned? Can I enjoy a Yuengling?
Yes. It’s called solo cups and u can drink whatever you want. Ask the x kids
Old 11-06-18, 04:02 PM
All American

tonka is on a distinguished road
https://www.cincinnati.com/videos/sp...source=dlvr.it

Both take the Cards
Old 11-06-18, 09:38 PM
All World

JBaller is on a distinguished road
Plain and simple, I'm not sure there will be a single drive where Milford stops Colerain. On the other side of the ball, Milford has an efficient passing game that could move the ball. However, between Colerain's pass rush and their ballhawking secondary, they will generate sacks and turnovers which will turn this game into a rout.

I'm thinking this game will be something like 56-21 Colerain.
Old 11-07-18, 07:58 AM
All World

Wahoo Sam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocards View Post
I object if They are allowed to charge us $10 for parking.
But I think that includes 2 Beer Tickets.
Old 11-07-18, 10:00 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoo Sam View Post
But I think that includes 2 Beer Tickets.

WAHOO!!! WHERE YOU BEEN BROTHER!?

-CardinalsFan
Old 11-07-18, 11:32 AM
Inactive

GLAT is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to GLAT
In all seriousness is the great school of St. X charging $10 for parking? Do they realize that is grocery money for most of us poor Colerain fans? I'm sure Jesus would charge the less fortunate.
Old 11-07-18, 11:36 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLAT View Post
In all seriousness is the great school of St. X charging $10 for parking? Do they realize that is grocery money for most of us poor Colerain fans? I'm sure Jesus would charge the less fortunate.
Just check the website big fella....come on now!

Playoff Info vs. Milford

-CardinalsFan
Old 11-07-18, 11:39 AM
All World

Looks like the bantering is over. No bulletin board material for either team. This game has a potential of Milford keeping it close and interesting due to Grippa's familiarity with the Colerain system. Weather should not be a factor so it will be the Milford passing attack against the Colerain running attack. Should be a fun one.
Go Cards!
Old 11-07-18, 11:43 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLAT View Post
Colerain web site says $3.00

General Admission Pre-Sale – $8.00
(prices are for both adult and students ages 6 and up)

General Admission Gate– $9.00
(prices are for both adult and students ages 6 and up)

Parking – $3.00 (Parking Lot will open at 4:30 pm)
Old 11-07-18, 12:22 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardDad View Post
Looks like the bantering is over. No bulletin board material for either team. This game has a potential of Milford keeping it close and interesting due to Grippa's familiarity with the Colerain system. Weather should not be a factor so it will be the Milford passing attack against the Colerain running attack. Should be a fun one.
Go Cards!
I do believe this will be Grippa's first game against Colerain since Bolden has been coach?